[SD][WIP][DEV]*NookBuntu Beta 0.3* 5/18

Search This thread

hololight

Dec 18, 2010
Heck, someone with the files could put them on dropbox...

Sent from my Desire HD using XDA App

bandroidx

Retired Recognized Developer
Feb 15, 2011
OP Updated with mirror links. Currently working on the 11.04 Natty file system for NookBuntu ;)

This looks cool, going to try it out tonight. It says in first post network manager semi works but you must do the shell work around (no biggie) but changelog says network manager works.

does it no longer require all the manual config then?

PS. multiupload direct mirror is blazing fast right now. anyone know why it gets removed after a while or randomly from multi upload uploads? is it bandwith or perhaps time based?

Last edited:

ieAnd

Jul 23, 2010
So many props for working on this that I might explode and die. Also, SO MUCH RESPECT for requesting donations go to charity. You guys are frickin' superstars in my book. Going out to buy a uSD to try this on. Hopefully will donate leftover funds to breast cancer.

Thank you so much.

tsukisan

Jul 17, 2009
Santa Clara, CA
Due to the wide variety of wireless networks, can anyone provide a little more detail for setup of the w2.conf file outside of the WPA-PSK secured network i.e. WEP, Open, etc. for those of us that have other options?

devastatorx

Feb 6, 2009
Indianapolis
This looks cool, going to try it out tonight. It says in first post network manager semi works but you must do the shell work around (no biggie) but changelog says network manager works.

does it no longer require all the manual config then?

It does, right now its a little wonky so the manual config will be needed, i also updated the changelog to reflect that.

Just curious- what kernel is this using and why isn't bt working (what needs to be done)

Currently this is running on the nookie froyo kernel. You can replace the uImage, although I'm not sure if that will fix BT at the moment. Currently I'm focusing on the natty file system so the build is up to date.

So many props for working on this that I might explode and die. Also, SO MUCH RESPECT for requesting donations go to charity. You guys are frickin' superstars in my book. Going out to buy a uSD to try this on. Hopefully will donate leftover funds to breast cancer.

Thank you so much.

Honestly, the people that fight the battle with cancer are the real superstars, and the people that donate to the charities that help fund research and assistance. We have a great community and I think that we (the dev team) are just glad to be able to contribute to it

Due to the wide variety of wireless networks, can anyone provide a little more detail for setup of the w2.conf file outside of the WPA-PSK secured network i.e. WEP, Open, etc. for those of us that have other options?

Will update OP with instructions for various wireless network security settings here in a few hours...not at home at the moment.

-devx

VitaZora

Feb 19, 2011
I just tried this out with my Nook Color and WOW!
It seems almost ready for prime time!
After boot up I was able to connect to WEP wifi, with no pre-boot edits to any files, although the signal/connection dropped periodically. I just booted up and selected my wifi connection, entered the password and BAM!

Not able to fully shut down though - just goes into a reboot loop.

But I am totally impressed :D.

bradputt

Jun 16, 2010
8) Now we need to copy all of the contents to the Angstrom partition on your SD card
Code:

sudo cp -r * /media/Angstrom

This will take awhile, get something to drink.

i'm stuck on this, waited for over 30mins and my terminal is stuck

are there any message when the copy is complete???

Link3737

Jul 25, 2010
I must be doing something wrong, because I can't boot past the flashing 'android_' screen (The "Couple of minutes" has extended to about half an hour)

When I attempt to connect through ADB and get a log of what's happening, I get "exec '/system/bin/sh' failed: Permission Denied (13)" (root of the problem?)

The only part I wasn't 100% sure I'd done right was copying the contents of 'system' to /media/Angstrom.

I copied all the folders/files inside system (Giving me /media/Angstrom/bin/, etc.), but at this point I'm not sure if I was supposed to copy the system folder directly instead (Giving me /media/Angstrom/system/bin/, etc.)

As always, your help is appreciated :p

Edit: Definitely had it right the first time with /media/Angstrom/bin, etc. Not sure what the problem is now.

Last edited:

devastatorx

Feb 6, 2009
Indianapolis
The time to copy the file system will vary by uSD class, it does take awhile, there is no completion message it will just return you to a prompt on the terminal.

@Link3737

Bad download maybe? MD5: bfe2206fbfd7f402cd1c95c61b13dc83
After connecting to the adb shell can you issue startx as a command? Although you shouldn't have to.

Also updated OP with md5 for both files.

Last edited:
Reactions: Link3737

Link3737

Jul 25, 2010
@Link3737

Bad download maybe? MD5: bfe2206fbfd7f402cd1c95c61b13dc83
After connecting to the adb shell can you issue startx as a command? Although you shouldn't have to.

Also updated OP with md5 for both files.

Thanks for the MD5s, they both checked out.

If I leave everything untouched, I can't get past a blinking android_ screen.

Edit: Ran 'sudo chmod -R +rwx /media/Angstrom/*' (Definitely not a wise thing to do), and was able to finally get it working.

Full recap of my issue (In case I'm not the only one):

Copying files over left everything inaccessible (Normal?), but as a result the device wouldn't boot past android_.

Using 'sudo cp -rp', even, would not keep original modes for files.

Last edited:

devastatorx

Feb 6, 2009
Indianapolis
Copying the files over will change the permissions, i think due to the way we are copying them over (via sudo to make sure all files are copied over) what size SD card do you have? I have an 8gig, I will make an image of it and get it uploaded which should fix your problems (and allow anyone not using a linux miachine to give NookBuntu a try) Link will be up later tonight, currently copying my new Natty file system to SD for first boot run.

bandroidx

Retired Recognized Developer
Feb 15, 2011
I didnt flash yet because I think I need a faster uSD card. I have a lexar class 4 4gb card and I loaded HC sd the newer one and it runs like crap, I think the sd card is t he reason ebcasue people say its fast, and mine is super slow. So i am thinking it will ruin the experience. Is class 6 or 10 recommended?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ####NO LONGER SUPPORTED####
    Links have been updated to the last release and are working
    ###############################

Untitled.png

The NookBuntu Dev Team

devastatorx | penkia | lincore | munday | luciferii

CREDITS: munday for his initial work on this project, penkia for the wifi and touchscreen fixes. The guys who pulled off the vnc trick to get us thinking about how to make this a full fledged linux tablet. All the great developers for the nook and every other device.

*DISCLAIMER*
    I'm not responsible, blah blah blah...if you are trying this...your warranty cherry was popped long ago ;)

Q & A - This area will be updated as questions arise

Q: Why the skip from alpha 0.1 to beta 0.3?
    A: Alot of testing and fixes were implemented behind the scenes. These images were not released due to usability issues. We wanted this release to be one that could serve as a daily build. And this comes relatively close.

Q: Will this mess up my current configuration?
    A: If your current configuration runs from the eMMC, then no. It runs solely from the uSD card. As long as you don't mount your eMMC inside NookBuntu and start messing around with it, it should be fine.

Q: Is this awesome?
    A: Yes, it is so awesome that if I were to speak anymore than a few lines about it's awesomeness, computers would become self aware, sheep would begin counting people, and pong would turn into tetris...

Q: Will this run from the internal memory?
    A: This is being planned for a future release and currently only runs from the SD card. DO NOT FLASH IT TO THE eMMC!!!

A NOTE ABOUT DONATIONS - Please read

No we do not ask for donations or accept them. We do this because we are as passionate as anyone in this communtiy about the tech we use.

If you would like to donate, please instead consider donating to the following charity

The National Breast Cancer Foundation - https://www.nationalbreastcancer.org/donate/

My sister was recently diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer. I ask that if you do wish to donate, please do so in her honor. If you wish to make a donation in her honor please pm me for details (name and whatnot). Thank you!

################################

NookBuntu Beta 0.3

################################

Screens

imag0018i.jpg

imag0019pn.jpg

imag0021t.jpg
    imag0022wm.jpg

Working

Boot into NookBuntu when the device is powered on (no adb necessary!)
    Network manager - this is still being worked on, use the method listed in the instructions below
    Touch screen
    On screen keyboard auto slide out on text input area focus
    Audio

Not Working

Home button
    Volume buttons
    Multi-touch
    Bluetooth
    Hardware acceleration
    Accelerometer
    Charging

Installation instructions

DOWNLOADS

NookBuntu Beta 0.3 - Download

md5: bfe2206fbfd7f402cd1c95c61b13dc83

NookBuntu Boot Partition - Download
    md5: 316f8d6d44cb3d2c4a13f01da63c302e

We will need to make a bootable SD card for this. As of right now I have an 8gb card and will be uploading a burnable image soon...but for now this method will work.
    Download this script and save it somewhere you have easy access to.

Download: SDMAKER

Ok so you have all the files right? Right?? ...right

Let's get that SD card prep'd for our NookBuntu installation.

1) Open up a terminal and cd to where you saved the file sdmaker.sh

2) Insert your soon to be nookbuntu sd card into your pc and find out where your sd card is mounted i.e. /dev/mmcblk0 or wherever. REMEMBER what it was (for me it is /dev/mmcblk0)

3) Type the following command hitting enter after each line
    Code:
    sudo chmod +x sdmaker.sh
    sudo ./sdmaker.sh /dev/yoursdcard

4) Let this command run and finish out, it is formatting your sd card to correctly have a boot and filesystem partitions

5) Once this has finished you should have two new partitions show up, either mounted already at /media/boot and /media/Angstrom or should be able to mount the new partitions in your file manager. If they aren't mounted go ahead and mount them.

Let's regather. You have two folders open on your desktop, one titled "boot" and the other titled "Angstrom". Are you with me? Good.

6) Untar/7zip/Unzip whatever...decompress the file nookbuntu-0.3beta.tgz anywhere you would like.

7) cd to the directory where you extracted the files. There should be a folder titled "system" Go ahead and cd into that directory.

8) Now we need to copy all of the contents to the Angstrom partition on your SD card
    Code:
    sudo cp -r * /media/Angstrom

This will take awhile, get something to drink.

9) After that has finished lets copy over the boot partition. Go to where you downloaded the file "nookbuntu-boot.7z" and extract it. Now CD to nookbuntu-boot. Are you with me? Let's copy those files over!

Code:
    sudo cp -r * /media/boot

10) After that has finished we need to setup your wifi so it will work. So let's edit the one of the files we just put on your sdcard (use whatever text editor you would like:
    Code:
    sudo gedit /media/Angstrom/etc/wifi/w2.conf

In your text editor you will have something like this:

Code:
    ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant

network={
    ssid="WiFiNetworkName"
    scan_ssid=1
    key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
    psk="yourWPAkey"
    }

We need to change a few things to be able to connect to your home wifi.

Change the following:

Code:
    ssid="WifiNetworkName"
    to
    ssid="YourSSID"

Obviously replace "YourSSID" with whatever your actual SSID is.

Chances are you are using WPA encryption...well if you aren't...you should be. Assuming you are we need to set up so we can send the key to the router when we connect.

See this line?
    Code:
    psk="yourWPAkey"

Change "yourWPAkey" to...you guessed it....your WPA password ;)

Save the changes and exit.

11) Unmount the sdcard from your computer
    Code:
    sudo umount /media/boot
    sudo umount /media/Angstrom

12) Take the Sd card and put it in your nook while it is powered off.

13) Power on your nook and give it a few mins...voila! NookBuntu should have loaded!

These next steps are for getting wifi up and running you can do this from an ADB shell or from the terminal inside NookBuntu or make it into a script for future use.

Enter these commands (hitting enter after each line unless otherwise noted)
    Code:
    killall wpasupplicant
    ifconfig tiwlan0 up
    killall connmand
    wpa_supplicant -Dwext -i tiwlan0 -c /etc/wifi/w2.conf & dhclient

You should shortly be associated to your home network!

Enjoy NookBuntu! Make sure to thank all the great devs who have a hand in this project!

-devastatorx
    Currently, trying to get a hold of penkia, as he had hardware acceleration up and working.

I will look into your wifi issue, should have an answer soon.

To do:

-Hardware acceleration
    -Less wonky wifi
    -Hardware buttons
    I'm going to wait a bit before giving this a shot, but seriously, thanks! I'm excited about the possibilities. Do you think our hardware will be prohibitive to using this in the long-run? I know it's really early, so if that's a silly question, feel free to disregard it.

At this stage it is difficult to say as not everything is working (no hardware acceleration, sound, etc)

As of right now the device runs pretty smoothly for what it is and is more responsive than it was when using the vnc method. I will be working more on the build this weekend and hope to establish a development team to keep things moving forward with consistant fixes and updates.

With a good, dedicated development team we should make some exciting progress in the near future.

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App
    Might be looking to revive this project since i may have more time in the near future. So, just give me some time to get things in order and I'll see what can do. Sorry about the absence.

-devx
    OP Updated with mirror links. Currently working on the 11.04 Natty file system for NookBuntu ;)