[APP] Island Settlers (board game - catan)

Search This thread

brack11

Dec 4, 2008
Ljungskile
And if you change the setting to something else which won't be mistaken with the original settlers?

Maybe something like an underwater-theme, a postapocalyptic scenario or something crazy like bee-settlers (bee-hive has also hexagon-shapes) or bacteria-settlers (settling a colony of virus-bacterias into an organism)..

And making the game setting flexible via Theme-Plugins maybe somebody creates something like an "classic" Theme ;)

+1
Maybe this community can help the author in developing new scenario? And of course, maybe author can accept such help? Maybe even make open source with gpl license?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

CYDVicious

Dec 10, 2007
Hillsboro, OR
www.cydvicious.com
Thanks for the continued everyone!

While I don't agree with the lawyer in many respects, I'm kind of powerless here. If he threatens to sue, regardless of who's really right, I created this as a hobby and haven't got the cash to defend myself. And if I did have the money, he also threatened to sue in any jurisdiction, such as Germany, that would take the case. When I asked if I could remove the parts he's complaining about (island scenario, etc) he told me to seek legal council. Of course he knows this isn't viable for me, but my question contradicts his client's interests.

Instead of Settling an Island, put a religious spin on it...about gathering worshippers...

It's not an island, it's a new world (or old world, i.e. Pangea)
Filled with different races, five Races...that correspond to each of the resources...

Each player is going in as a "God" building Chapels and Temples....that help them get more Worshippers...(For Victory Points and more Troops) Certain worshippers pray for spiritual connections (roads) that you the God needs to remain spiritually present within the temples/chapels, You need 4 races to build a chapel (Settlement) and 5 races to build a Temple(City)...

It would be too similiar having the same default map layout...I suggest take up the task of making it a "sea farers" level design. Which means waterways and islands. This eliminates the obvious "Catan" Hexagonal island design. Instead you have a main continent and minor outlying countries etc...

You can do the same with a military twist...recruiting troops/armies...and the player being a general...

brack11

Dec 4, 2008
Ljungskile
Instead of Settling an Island, put a religious spin on it...about gathering worshippers...

It's not an island, it's a new world (or old world, i.e. Pangea)
Filled with different races, five Races...that correspond to each of the resources...

Each player is going in as a "God" building Chapels and Temples....that help them get more Worshippers...(For Victory Points and more Troops) Certain worshippers pray for spiritual connections (roads) that you the God needs to remain spiritually present within the temples/chapels, You need 4 races to build a chapel (Settlement) and 5 races to build a Temple(City)...

It would be too similiar having the same default map layout...I suggest take up the task of making it a "sea farers" level design. Which means waterways and islands. This eliminates the obvious "Catan" Hexagonal island design. Instead you have a main continent and minor outlying countries etc...

You can do the same with a military twist...recruiting troops/armies...and the player being a general...

Interesting idea, but I wouldn't advise to digg into religions area, just to be safe and not lose any potential players among some conservative believers.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

Jasper_Ward

Jan 30, 2009
Ya know going the "Themable" route worked for BeautifulWidgets with their issues with HTC and sense... I don't see why it wouldn't work here, I'll keep my APK backed up anyway, but I hope to see more of this in the future, I really enjoyed this

ogami_ito

Sep 25, 2007
I don't know why...but I still play this app. The AI just is not good. Yet, I find this to be a fun game. Best played as a 14 point game to make it more challenging though.

I really hope the author tells the lawyers to stick it, and continue work on this game. And then, I really hope that the author creates an save game feature. Then works on the AI a little more.

tmirage

Jan 23, 2011
This game is/was very promising and good to play indeed. I came across it a while ago already. i understand it is of the market now which is to bad. I hope someday something good rolls out of this still.

theeil

Apr 4, 2010
Toronto
omnionic.com
Some people here may be interested in some new code I added on github based on this project:

https://github.com/neilisaac/AndroidSettlers

If you're a developer and have a chance to dig through this, I'd like to hear back from you. Some code is quite good, some is less good, and some is just there for brainstorming.

It's meant as a starting point for anyone who wants to make a new "theme" or "story" out of it.

I suppose this is long overdue... Enjoy!

emelie

Jul 4, 2010
Vienna
Some people here may be interested in some new code I added on github based on this project:

If you're a developer and have a chance to dig through this, I'd like to hear back from you. Some code is quite good, some is less good, and some is just there for brainstorming.

It's meant as a starting point for anyone who wants to make a new "theme" or "story" out of it.

Thank you very much!
I really appreciate your work and your effort!

Parastie

Apr 27, 2010
Malta
I realize this is no longer in development, but I want to point out that the program FC when dpi is lower then 200. Anyone know how to fix that?

Sent from my EM73_SIS_GC2M_V1 using XDA App

MaluNoPeleke

Jan 8, 2011
www.peleke.de

Any new development?

Repartee

Apr 8, 2012
Auckland
Very nice app, it would be awesome if development started again as the official app's development seems to have ceased and they still haven't got the dynamic resizing right :/

theeil

Apr 4, 2010
Toronto
omnionic.com
New game: Pharaoh's Lock

Hi everyone. First off, many thanks for the support and encouragement on my previous title. Anybody still subscribed to this thread may be interested in my new game.

Working with the same artist who previously overhauled the graphics of Island Settlers, I developed an original puzzle game for Android!

Our goal was to make a unique puzzle game that is beautifully designed and highly challenging.

Download Pharaoh's Lock via Google Play

The first 15 levels are free to play with an in-app purchase available for 45 more levels. Anybody providing feedback is welcome to join the "beta test" via Google+ to get free access to the full version. Send me a PM if you're interested in testing.

Enjoy!

Reactions: MaluNoPeleke

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I just released Island Settlers to the Android Market! I appreciate any feedback. See below for screenshots.

If you're downloading from the market, make sure you uninstall the preview version first.

English only. Contact me if you can help make a translation.

Please read the webpage for details and report any issues.

Cheers!

Website: http://omnionic.com/settlers (has direct download link if needed)
    AppBrain: http://www.appbrain.com/app/island-settlers-(free)/com.settlers
    Market download:
    com.settlers.png

Screenshot (Dec 6, 2010 - 1.2.2)
    screenshot1tiles1.png
    Any one have apk of latest version of Island Settlers? Would be nice to heave this in this bad situation for us. Ehh what a vicked world we have now :/

... here you go! ;)

Latest updates are awesome, really easy to see what's going on around the board now, and games go much faster. Couple more suggestions:

1. Long press on a resource icon at the bottom to initiate a trade for that resource, ie. launch the trade window and pre-select the combo.

2. Dynamically change the label of the "Trade with bank" button to show how many resources are required to activate it. ie. "Trade with bank (4:1)" or "Trade with bank (3:1)", whether the button is enabled or not. If two of a 2:1 resource is selected, the button could become enabled and say "Trade with bank (2:1)".

3. A little "2:1" icon overlaid on the resource icon in the trade window would also help pre-indicate which resources are favourable to trade.

The UI is becoming very polished. Can't wait to see the AI improvements!

edit: I should add, I've never ever seen a random crash, and I've played it heaps.
    Or among us Wiccan, Pagan, liberal players either :)

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk