LG Optimus 7 for £215 in UK

Search This thread

longshanks

Apr 12, 2005
Got mine today for £184.99 delivered from Expansys.

Version = LG-E900AT-00-V10c-268-XXX-OCT-2010

O/s = 7.07004.0
Firmware = 1.03.10
H/w = 1.0.0.0
Radio s/w = 1.03.10
Eadio h/w = 0.3.5.0
Bootloader = 1.5.0.0
Chips soc = 0.30.2.0

I have the bluetooth issue - what do I do? Return the phoen or will a s/w upgrade sort it out?

mrtivo601f

Mar 5, 2010
If it were me, return it ASAP. Use the 7 days distance selling regulations clause for return, notify them and return it with proof of postage (think that covers you the amount paid), or recorded/special delivery. Don't wait for any kind of s/w upgrade, as I think it is a h/w issue.

Getting a bad vibe about this purchase now. I though Expansys were reasonably reliable / competent. Should have mine by the time I'm back in the UK, assuming the ash cloud has dispersed.

Bluetooth will be the first thing I try.

mrtivo601f

Mar 5, 2010
Just out of curiosity, those who recently bought their Optimus 7 from Expansys, where was the country of origin?

Mine came from France, via Germany to the UK. Just wondering if they all come the same route or from different places in the world. I was quite frankly amazed it was couriered this way, thought it would be dispatched from the UK directly.

firegalley246

May 26, 2011
Just out of curiosity, those who recently bought their Optimus 7 from Expansys, where was the country of origin?

Mine came from France, via Germany to the UK. Just wondering if they all come the same route or from different places in the world. I was quite frankly amazed it was couriered this way, thought it would be dispatched from the UK directly.

I ordered mine Monday for £185 (like lots of others, I'm guessing) and it also came from France, through Germany and then arrived at home on Wednesday, although I'm away so haven't had chance to open up the box.

Melkor

Mar 14, 2006
Munich
Well, if someone is interessted:
A german Ebay Powerseller sells the german Optimus 7 (Vodafone branded) for 160€ (with Paypal)/£135.
Including 2 years warranty - with the ability to send the devices abroad (only EU) ;)
I think it is a very nice alternative to Expansys ;)

This price was also my motivation to buy a WP7 handset ;)

longshanks

Apr 12, 2005
I am sending mine back. Good phone but

1) Bluetooth does not work
2) Cannot connect to one of my routers
3) Play To feature does not work
4) Is not recognised by my PC

mrmoo

Feb 4, 2007
Looks like they are either refurbs or returned unsold from the networks (old stock)

i got one a few weeks ago from a retailer and it has the notorious dead bluetooth chipset

return it within 7 days ... lg support just tell you its a bug and ms fault and to wait for an update !

i have written to lg high command in the uk, who are stalling me ...

its a damned pity we dont have class action statute in the uk :-(

mrtivo601f

Mar 5, 2010
I am sending mine back. Good phone but

1) Bluetooth does not work
2) Cannot connect to one of my routers
3) Play To feature does not work
4) Is not recognised by my PC

Quality control seems to be the root of the problem, some are good and some are bad. Given the number of people complaining about it not working, I can see why it is not a popular phone. For me, it appears I have a good one.

• Bluetooth to a DriveClear sun visor speaker paired immediately. Connects / disconnects with no issues.

• No issue with connecting to 2 different routers, both running WPA2.

• DNLA support works amazingly well. Connects and plays 720p with no issues.

• NoDo and the subsequent fraudulent certificate update worked with no problems, even on 64 bit Win7.

Mine is a Portuguese phone, if the LG 'upgrade' software is to be believed. The only download I have available was the Portuguese manual.

Mind you, I shall be keeping the receipt in the box, just in case. There are a few little niggles, mostly with the UI, but on the whole happy with the performance of the phone.

opti7

May 17, 2011
I haven't come across any issues with bluetooth yet, I tried pairing mine with my SE K800I but it didn't pair because WP7 does not support it, so in that regards it is a software issue, but the hardware picked up the phone as normal and tried to pair as normal. Mine was also a portugese model IIRC. Very impressed with the phone so far.

Super Chimp

Nov 5, 2008
I get the general impression from this thread that this isn't a particularly advisable buy then?

longshanks

Apr 12, 2005
After some trial and error I upgraded the phone to 7392 as a final sanity check whether it was a software issue alas it wass not. However I did not upgrade the ROM.

The bluetooth issue remains as does the play to feature.

I spoke in length to Expansys and they have been very good they have picked up the phone and will send me out a replacement.

I have also ordered a Samsung Focus which I will also check out and compare.

The reason I chose the LG was from all video reviews it was the fastest wp7 phone and had 16gb of storage.

mrmoo

Feb 4, 2007
ziko,

hi

i think there are 2 issues for bad sales of the LG optimus 7

(1) its a new o/s, win mobile had a bad rep for being way out of date and a lot of people only know of apple or android which are by now well established .. over time this will change i'm sure. I picked up a cheap optimus 7 (more of that in part 2) and find (bar the lack of apps) and it only being a MS v1 it a generation better in terms of usability than ios or android (and i have an iphone and prefer to use win phone 7 on a daily basis) IMHO. With 7.5 coming soon and adding even more features it will only get better and with nokia's brand recognition, marketing muscle and operator equipment integration opportunities .. better and better

(2) the issue with LG and its optimus 7 handset - many of these were shipped with defective bluetooth chipsets and in many cases (including mine) LG phone support deny its a hardware issue and tell us to wait for an MS update ... this has pi**ed off many people and networks and warned off many more - it also doesnt help MS that LG is incorretly blaming MS for LG poor Q.C. on its handsets !

So i would say IMHO if people give 7.5 a chance (and nokia pumps out decent marketing) on a decent handset (so not the LG optimus 7) now that with 7.5 MS has opened up the api's so we can get decent apps and compare it side by side with android and ios it will sell better and better

longshanks

Apr 12, 2005
LG customer support is non existant.

The problem is users see the product as a whole - the hardware, software and customer support. The software ie o/s is top notch however the hardware has problems and customer support is poor from LG thus invariably this will bring down the reputation of the o/s.

mrmoo

Feb 4, 2007
In the Uk the problem from what i can see is 2 fold (i'm talking about the bluetooth not working at all here ie you will only ever see the "searching" message no matter what device you try to pair)

there are/were a huge number of LG win phone 7 handsets with duff bluetooth chipsets and if you spotted it within a few days you could return it for another new one or a refund otherwise you were screwed trying to get it repaired.

Now if you bought it from an operator at least you could get it repaired, if you bought it from a retailer (from my and many other peoples expereince) LG Phone support deny its a hardware defect and say its MS problem and to wait for an update .. in effect stonewalling you

I've had this so wrote to LG who told me in no uncertain terms there was no software problem or update awaited so I can only assume their phone support team in the UK were lying to customers to get rid of the issues !

I wrote back to LG a couple of weeks ago asking them if there phone support team will not repair the phones as they state its a s/w fault how the hell do we get it repaired .. not heard back yet

Its the second time this "software update awaited" has happened to me with LG products (i bought 2 LG products both have been duff and LG have tried to palm me off with the same update awaited story) and as far as I can see for me the only recourse is

1. raise the issue with trading standards to get it on record
2. take out a small claims action against LG for breach of waranty

Sadly though i will have to go through the hoops of writing to them again once more and giving them a further couple of weeks to remedy the situation before i fill out the c,laims forms online.

LG (UK) are truly aweful customer service wise !

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just a heads up, Expansys are selling this for £215 at the moment, bought one myself the price was very good value, waiting for delivery, just hope WP7 is actually good!