Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

SynisterWolf

Retired Senior Moderator
Sep 4, 2010
Northern California
xdaforums.com
Unfortunately, that can happen. I am working on something to try to keep that from happening - essentially issuing an sleep command for the init.d script so the voltages don't apply until after the phone boots up.

Ok I didnt know if it was just me or if it happens. Anyway to make an apk for what your doing instead of a script. That way it will have to wait for phone to boot to use su. Kinda like set CPU?

Sent from my sexy assistant. (HTC Incredible.)

-viperboy-

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 24, 2007
PA
Ok I didnt know if it was just me or if it happens. Anyway to make an apk for what your doing instead of a script. That way it will have to wait for phone to boot to use su. Kinda like set CPU?

Sent from my sexy assistant. (HTC Incredible.)

Well, I would love to do that. My knowledge of Java is very little, at the moment. I'm working on it and within a few months, I hope to have something solid. But for now, the script is working just fine I think :)

Also, the app would still handle voltages the same way - dropping a file in init.d that loads upon startup. This sleep thing was on my list of to-do's and I forgot to look into it with everything else I've been trying to improve. When I do incorporate it, I am going to be looking to you to test it :D I hope you remember your voltages that cause the boot loop when you rebooted so you can test this again for me!

Reactions: SynisterWolf

RebelShadow

Oct 12, 2006
Sulphur, LA.
I can test as well. When I applied the -75 my phone would boot loop from 2 to 10 times randomly before it would go into the OS then it would run fine with excellent battery life. rebooting was a PITA though.

SynisterWolf

Retired Senior Moderator
Sep 4, 2010
Northern California
xdaforums.com
Well, I would love to do that. My knowledge of Java is very little, at the moment. I'm working on it and within a few months, I hope to have something solid. But for now, the script is working just fine I think :)

Also, the app would still handle voltages the same way - dropping a file in init.d that loads upon startup. This sleep thing was on my list of to-do's and I forgot to look into it with everything else I've been trying to improve. When I do incorporate it, I am going to be looking to you to test it :D I hope you remember your voltages that cause the boot loop when you rebooted so you can test this again for me!

always down to be a guinea pig. :) i do remember what i was running 825/900. it was running perfictily till i turned my phone off to go to bed and when i woke up it just boot looped. luckily i dl you revert zip and had it in a folder. :) can never be to paranoid, oh i mean careful. :D

-viperboy-

Jun 24, 2007
PA
I can test as well. When I applied the -75 my phone would boot loop from 2 to 10 times randomly before it would go into the OS then it would run fine with excellent battery life. rebooting was a PITA though.

Ah, understood.

always down to be a guinea pig. :) i do remember what i was running 825/900. it was running perfictily till i turned my phone off to go to bed and when i woke up it just boot looped. luckily i dl you revert zip and had it in a folder. :) can never be to paranoid, oh i mean careful. :D

LOL, yeah, it's good to keep the reset .zip handy. I should have another build out tonight and I will try to incorporate this sleep feature into the init.d script. I think I'm going to call the next release v3 beta RC2 because I have the whole interface redone, some new code, and initial support for the Nexus S and Nexus S 4G :D

Reactions: SynisterWolf

SynisterWolf

Retired Senior Moderator
Sep 4, 2010
Northern California
xdaforums.com
Ah, understood.

LOL, yeah, it's good to keep the reset .zip handy. I should have another build out tonight and I will try to incorporate this sleep feature into the init.d script. I think I'm going to call the next release v3 beta RC2 because I have the whole interface redone, some new code, and initial support for the Nexus S and Nexus S 4G :D

dam man. you are to good. cant wait to see what you come up with next.

-viperboy-

Jun 24, 2007
PA
dam man. you are to good. cant wait to see what you come up with next.

I'm always looking for new ideas! So if you have any, feel free to contribute.

Some future plans include:
- Set a different user selectable governor for screen off AND screen on
(eg. powersave when screen off, ondemand when screen on)
- CPU control (no more need for SetCPU)
- Support more phones
- Turn this into an app

Among some other things :)

SynisterWolf

Retired Senior Moderator
Sep 4, 2010
Northern California
xdaforums.com
I'm always looking for new ideas! So if you have any, feel free to contribute.

Some future plans include:
- Set a different user selectable governor for screen off AND screen on
(eg. powersave when screen off, ondemand when screen on)
- CPU control (no more need for SetCPU)
- Support more phones
- Turn this into an app

Among some other things :)

LOL that pretty much said it all. it would be sick if this was an app like set cpu but total on the fly voltage control. one stop shop for everything you know. keep up the good work though. this is the first time im seeing the user being able to tweek there kernel to the best for the phone other then just whats good for the community.

-viperboy-

Jun 24, 2007
PA
LOL that pretty much said it all. it would be sick if this was an app like set cpu but total on the fly voltage control. one stop shop for everything you know. keep up the good work though. this is the first time im seeing the user being able to tweek there kernel to the best for the phone other then just whats good for the community.

Exactly! And that was my goal, make YOUR phone run as good as it can.

And I gave the idea to the guy from SetCPU to just incorporate voltages into his code and whatnot but he never responded.

SynisterWolf

Retired Senior Moderator
Sep 4, 2010
Northern California
xdaforums.com
Exactly! And that was my goal, make YOUR phone run as good as it can.

And I gave the idea to the guy from SetCPU to just incorporate voltages into his code and whatnot but he never responded.

Maybe he got an iphone. :p

maybe talk to the CM gods. they made there own set cpu for there ASOP rom. maybe you have have them help you incorporate your idea into it and have an apk so other roms can use it.

-viperboy-

Jun 24, 2007
PA
Maybe he got an iphone. :p

maybe talk to the CM gods. they made there own set cpu for there ASOP rom. maybe you have have them help you incorporate your idea into it and have an apk so other roms can use it.

LOL :D

Good idea, however, I want to try this on my own so I can learn and code it from scratch. Watch things fail, learn how it should work, fit it - you know what I mean :)

notwen

Mar 9, 2011
Cincinnati
Did you ever have enough testers for the Sense-based kernels(w/ sysfs) to determine if your script would help their overall battery performance?

-viperboy-

Jun 24, 2007
PA
Did you ever have enough testers for the Sense-based kernels(w/ sysfs) to determine if your script would help their overall battery performance?

Not many people have posted about their battery life in here (not sure why?) but any undervolting you can do will help you :)

Testingchip

Jun 14, 2010
Thank you so much for this. I have flashed your mods before but this is a whole new level.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey everyone, welcome to viperMOD for the EVO, Incredible, Nexus One, Desire GSM, Thunderbolt, Nexus S, Nexus S 4G, Desire HD, and Inspire 4G. Many people are having great success with this mod and I hope you enjoy my work :)

I would like to turn this into an app! If someone would like to help out that has Java knowledge, please contact me!

What does this do?
    Kernel developers make their kernels to be "universal". By universal, they want the kernel to work on as many phones as possible so they may only mildly undervolt. However, some phones can handle a more aggressive undervolt. Some can't. viperMOD allows you to undervolt to your choosing for better battery life or allow you to overvolt to make your phone more stable.

How do I run this?
    Once you flash the .zip go into your Terminal app (I use Android Terminal Emulator set to 10pt font) and type:

su
    vipermod

I really only use Terminal for my mod and there is something really cool you can do with Android Terminal Emulator (and maybe others). Menu > Preferences > Initial Command > Press Enter and type su > Press Enter again and type vipermod

Every time you start Terminal now, it will open right into viperMOD. You can quickly exit by pressing Enter if you need to use Terminal for something else :)

UPDATE 6/14
    • viperMOD v3 beta RC2.4 is live!
    • Fixed some coding that was giving errors on certain ROMs and phones. Everyone please update to this!
    • Please see the updated FAQ and changelog for more information!

UPDATE 5/31
    • viperMOD v3 beta RC2.3 is live!
    • MUCH better support for NS/NS4G Netarchy kernels and other enhancements!

UPDATE 5/29
    • viperMOD v3 beta RC2.2 is live!
    • Initial support for Desire HD/Inspire 4G and more!

v3_beta_rc2_1.png
    v3_beta_rc2_2.png
    v3_beta_rc2_3.png

Please see viperboy.tiamat-dev.com for downloads, more information, changelog, and FAQ!
    You can find the answers to all of your questions there!

Feel free to support this mod with a userbar in your sig :)
    viperMOD_user.png

Credit to:
    - snq_ for the VDD support
    - Cayniarb for his awesome Tiamat kernel, hosting, and website!
    - Netarchy for his amazing guidance and patience!
    - My IRC friends ekarelis, bigrushdog, and morph3k for all their help!
    - Ziggy for the adjustable sysfs interface
    - Anyone who has done testing for me or helped me at all
    - Everyone who contributes to Android development
    - Let me know if I left anyone out!
    FAQ

[Q] Will this work on Sense kernels?

[A] Technically, yes. None of the current Sense kernels support the sysfs interface but a few of ziggy's old kernels do. I don't know if anyone still runs his kernels but if you do and you want to see it supported, please contact me. You can also compile your own 2.6.32 Sense kernel and build in the sysfs interface. To do so, please read here (thanks chad0989!)
    I'm curious to see how these voltage tweaks compare to the one in Chad's thread. Which ones will be comparable?

I only really saw one post about voltages in there. Maybe I didn't look hard enough. If you can find a link, lemme take a look and I can tell you what the differences are in terms of voltages.
    Tried out -100 one and it didn't boot up. Am trying -75 and everything seems to work fine. If i use root explorer and go to /etc/init.d/74havsvoltages and view as text isnt it suppose to show all the values?

Update: NVM just used Terminal to check them out. So the -75 is suppose to be more of an aggressive tweak than Chads one is his OP correct?

Look at the post right above you.

The script in Chad's thread is done differently than I did mine. Let me explain. Take a look at what I have here below...

havscompare.png

dccoh's script sets EVERY clock speed to a certain voltage. My Insane script says lower all voltages of the kernel you're using by 100mV and also set these certain clock speeds to these parameters. Everything after 537mhz is 100mV below the stock kernel voltages.

You can see that there are variations in voltages so for some my script might work better and for others dccoh's might work better. All in all, the best thing you can do is try it out. It's hard to say what is going to work better for you since every device is different. I hope this makes sense.
    man im having a rough time. none of the UVs work on my phone.. -100 down to -25. even on -25 my phone hangs then bootloops. im on chads latest. running setcpu 1113max 128min, is it just my phone? any ideas or input would be great. id love to squeeze a lil more juice out of this thing ;)

It's just your phone :( Chad's kernels are already undervolted and some phones can handle more undervolting and come can't. Sorry dude.

-100 would not boot on my phone
    -75 boots and runs without crashing (looks good)
    the UV in chad's thread crashed my phone within 30 seconds of fully booting

Glad it's working for you :)