FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[GUIDE]Installing market on Entourage eDGe

35 posts
Thanks Meter: 5

By emusan, Member on 27th May 2011, 07:53 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
DISCLAIMER: I am in no way responsible if any of this information destroys or has any negative effects whatsoever.

UNFORTUNATELY, I HAVE FOUND THAT THIS DOES NOT IN FACT ENABLE MARKET USE, HOWEVER, IT DOES STILL WORK WITH GMAIL, CALENDER, ETC. AND I'M LEAVING IT UP IN CASE ANYONE WANTS TO GIVE IT A SHOT.

That said, this has worked for a few people so far without any problems, if you run into any I'll do what I can to help.

HUGE THANKS TO: brianb5010(this guide is almost word for word the same as his), kennyminot(helped in much the same way as brianb5010), and Keslynn. Without them this project would be nowhere right now.

Now, on to the guide:

Step one: Download the backup of the gapps from my site: link(please note, the link has been updated to go through adfly, 5 seconds of your time will help my continued development on this device, if you really don't want to use it, PM me and I can send you a direct link. If adfly leads you to a survey, back out and don't do anything there, these kinds of things are against the adfly TOS and they are working to remove them, thanks!)

Step two: root your edge, the easiest way is to download the z4root app from the Amazon marketplace, NOTE: this only works if using 2.2/ermine, if you are running an older version you will have to figure out how to root on your own(there are a few methods, and various guides for this out there).

Step three: Download Titanium Backup(the free version should work fine for this, but I recommend buying anyway, its a great app!) from the developers site onto your edge and install: link.

Step four: Extract the archive somewhere on your computer or eDGe, then copy all of the files found in the release folder(extracted from the archive) to your /sdcard/TitaniumBackup folder

Step five: Open Titanium Backup and wait for it to gain root, etc.(make sure to give it root privileges), then tap on backup/restore, scroll to the bottom of this list and you should see several (9) apps crossed out, tap on each and tap restore app + data. THIS IS IMPORTANT, you MUST restore the DATA!

Step six: You should be DONE!!! reboot and try out market, you'll need to sign in with your google account.

If you get an error go to step seven:

Step seven: At this point you may be able to access the market, but you might also need to do the "market fix", to do this you will need to edit the /system/build.prop file. Instructions can be found here, but if you want to do it the free way(a little harder), read on:
a. Download AndRootFile and use it to remount the /system folder as read/write, then open up a terminal
b. type "su"(without quotes) then type "vi /system/build.prop"(again without quotes)
c. use ijkl or the trackpad to navigate down to the line starting with: "ro.build.fingerprint"
d. change(use the i button on the keyboard to start editing in vi) that line to read: "ro.build.fingerprint=google/passion/passion/mahimahi:2.2/FRF91/43546:user/release-keys"
FAQ:

Q: I'm not seeing many apps in the market.
A: see this: youtube video

Q: I'm getting a download error on every app I try to download, and a google talk connection error.
A: Please PM me and/or post here and I can try and figure it out, I had this error as well, and it may just be due to a faulty gmail account, but there may be another problem, either way I can likely fix it.

Question not answered? Post below or PM me! Also let me know of any spelling errors or things I missed, I know there must be some!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to emusan For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift emusan Ad-Free

27th May 2011, 07:59 PM |#2  
OP Member

More
post 2 reserved just in case
27th May 2011, 08:49 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Does this get gtalk working? Sounds like it based on your "had this problem" but just wanted to check.
27th May 2011, 09:12 PM |#4  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketedgejr

Does this get gtalk working? Sounds like it based on your "had this problem" but just wanted to check.

Yes, the program works.

The problem I ran into had something to do with my normal gmail account, it wouldn't allow me to download anything from market or access google talk(gmail and youtube worked fine). So I reinstalled them and used the fake/throwaway gmail account I made just for these backups, unfortunately, I have not yet done enough testing to know whether or not the programs will work with any other google account. If this is the case I will release the username and password of the fake account so that others may use it to access the market(you can then add another account to sync with gmail, etc.) Unfortunately, the talk app does not yet let you switch which account you use it with, so you would have to seek out another IM app.

Of course until someone else tests this I don't know anything for certain.

EDIT: if anyone has been successful in this please let me know. One user is having problems with it on another board and I want to know if it is an isolated incident.

COPYPASTA FROM OTHER THREADS:
yes, I know what the problem is(I really should have tested more, I just got a little giddy and wanted to release lol), I'll hopefully have a new set of back-ups out tonight or early tomorrow(EST), until then you can still have fun with gmail, etc. and if you want you can try to get it working with market using the current set of backups.

If anyone REALLY wants to get on market before I release the newer backups PM me and I'll give you the username and password of the account that will work with the market, you will have to restore all the apps again(maybe not all but it can't hurt...) and then sign in with this user FIRST, then whatever other users second. Also, this will just fix market, talk will only work with this throwaway account, and you could add people but know that everyone using it will see them. Also know that this account will be public and should anyone start screwing with it I will delete it!

I'd rather no one make any purchases with this account anyway, as that could reveal your credit card and other details, but for free apps it should be fine.
28th May 2011, 04:28 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
AAAARRRGGHGHHHH!

lol. Seriously, I can't thank you enough for this, but I about died when I saw "LINK REMOVED, WAS A BAD SET OF BACKUPS, WILL BE UPDATED IN THE NEXT 24 HRS. WITH AN UPDATED VERSION."

I'll keep an eye on the page, and I'm REALLY looking forward to trying this out as soon as the backups return.
28th May 2011, 04:32 AM |#6  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeDubb65

AAAARRRGGHGHHHH!

lol. Seriously, I can't thank you enough for this, but I about died when I saw "LINK REMOVED, WAS A BAD SET OF BACKUPS, WILL BE UPDATED IN THE NEXT 24 HRS. WITH AN UPDATED VERSION."

I'll keep an eye on the page, and I'm REALLY looking forward to trying this out as soon as the backups return.

If you want you can still download the backups from here: link, note that it will only work with gmail, calender, etc. and not talk or market, unless you PM me in which case I can give you the account that will activate market but only use it for free stuff because it will be a public account(talk will be similar in that everyone will see anyone you add). If your still interested PM me.
The Following User Says Thank You to emusan For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift emusan Ad-Free
28th May 2011, 05:02 AM |#7  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by emusan

If you want you can still download the backups from here: link, note that it will only work with gmail, calender, etc. and not talk or market, unless you PM me in which case I can give you the account that will activate market but only use it for free stuff because it will be a public account(talk will be similar in that everyone will see anyone you add). If your still interested PM me.

Thank you, but I think I'll wait. No sense in risk unnecessary work later. Talk and Market are the only things that I couldn't get working without the backups, so it's probably best to wait for backups that will work nicely with them.

I'll just keep an eye on the site, and thank you VERY much.
28th May 2011, 05:07 AM |#8  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeDubb65

Thank you, but I think I'll wait. No sense in risk unnecessary work later. Talk and Market are the only things that I couldn't get working without the backups, so it's probably best to wait for backups that will work nicely with them.

I'll just keep an eye on the site, and thank you VERY much.

Yeah, unfortunately it looks like it might be tomorrow when they come out, the way I have to do this requires internet access, and my backing up of the official forums is taking up a lot of my bandwidth, not to mention I'm getting quite tired myself.
28th May 2011, 05:27 AM |#9  
OP Member

More
Sorry everyone, but I've got to be heading off to bed now, I'll release the newer backups ASAP tomorrow, until then I hope you all enjoy gmail, etc.

Again, sorry for the inconvenience, hopefully I can have this all sorted by tomorrow.

Oh and really sorry if you missed the PM time, I wish I could have kept it open longer, but I really do need some sleep right now
28th May 2011, 06:03 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Thanks a lot emusan - been toying with the backups from earlier today and kept getting the market download/talk error as well (tried a new account, reset data, etc.) - looking forward to the new backups!
28th May 2011, 07:48 AM |#11  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by emusan

... the threats towards my property and insults against my character.

illegitimi non carborundum
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread