SwiftKey X privacy concerns?

Search This thread

AndriodLover

Jan 3, 2011
I installed SwiftKey X and it is a amazing, it's ability to predict text is mind blowing. but around 30mins later. I removed it due to privacy concerns. Should I of been concerned about privacy?

Edit: Can a developer have a look at the codes and see what it's been sent back from the advice to the server

Last edited:

cez10

Feb 16, 2010
I installed SwiftKey X and it is a amazing, it's ability to predict text is mind blowing. but around 30mins later. I removed it due to privacy concerns. Should I of been concerned about privacy?

could you tell us some more about it? what kind of privacy you're talking about? is swift key sending out your details? texts? accounts?

AndriodLover

Jan 3, 2011
could you tell us some more about it? what kind of privacy you're talking about? is swift key sending out your details? texts? accounts?

First for best performances it needs access to your facebook, Twitter, gmail accounts. Second, why does a keyboard needs a services running in background at all times ? that can be sending data back to the server.
Third, Have a look at the privacy details http://www.swiftkey.net/privacy.

Last edited:

appelflap

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 9, 2008
Utrecht

jworley02

Dec 29, 2010
Lenexa
First for best performances it needs access to your facebook, Twitter, gmail accounts. Second, why does a keyboard needs a services running in background at all times ? that can be sending data back to the server.

"In relation to our Apps such as SwiftKey, learned language data generated and stored on your computing devices, such as mobile phones and tablets, is never accessed by, or transmitted to us unless you wish to use additional features or services which would require the use of such data. Where we offer any additional services or facilities that do require use of data which might include personal information, such as server-based personalized services, then we will always seek your consent to the use of such data before providing such services or facilities."

Reactions: gpzbc

JoeBeats

Oct 11, 2010
Hey - just to weigh in quickly here. I'm the CMO of TouchType, the company that makes SwiftKey. We take user privacy very serious and don't ever process any of the data stored on your phone, as explained in our privacy policy.

When you choose to use our personalization services, this data is handled securely and without access to any of your password data. We only use your data to provide you with better predictions, though a language module that is generated and pushed to your phone.

There is really nothing to worry about here.

Thanks guys,

Joe

Reactions: navycow

anti-pop

Nov 25, 2010
Hey - just to weigh in quickly here. I'm the CMO of TouchType, the company that makes SwiftKey. We take user privacy very serious and don't ever process any of the data stored on your phone, as explained in our privacy policy.

When you choose to use our personalization services, this data is handled securely and without access to any of your password data. We only use your data to provide you with better predictions, though a language module that is generated and pushed to your phone.

Thanks for answering here.

Just to clarify, when the "Learn from SMS" option is used, does SwiftKey upload or submit SMS text data stored on the phone to your servers or is everything processed on locally the phone?

a4ol

Mar 8, 2009
Washington
Personally, I would use a firewall such as avast to block out any apps I don't want reaching out to the Internet. Especially for all my keyboard apps.

And yes, you could use a packet sniffer to monitor swift or any other app you are unsure about.

Last edited:

m00k00

Jun 11, 2012
Personally, I would use a firewall such as avast to block out any apps I don't want reaching out to the Internet. Especially for all my keyboard apps.

Totally agree on this point. Use DroidWall, PDroid or LBE and feel safe? :> Using PDroid and LBE you could even configure SwiftKeyX to not be able to read any parts of private informations from your phone that you don't acknowledge.

Hope this helps :) The Keyboard as it rocks, i tested the trial-version myself. Too bad they don't have a free lite edition or something like that. As long as you need to pay for it i'm not jumping on that train, sorry ;/

dy/dx

Feb 13, 2006
I don't agree at all with the "CMO" of SwiftKey. The app is a huge privacy concern.

I just did a logcat and was more than shocked: The app completely misuses users trust by tracking him permanently. The logcat not even comes to equilibirum, permanently are requests made to http://api.geo.kontagent.net. To get feel how "serious" the company is about privacy, take a look here: http://www.kontagent.com/privacy-policy. Just as an example: "Kontagent employees, may, on occasion look at customer data for test purposes". Collected data includes social application data, custom data, cookies, location (!). Personally I "just" saw that serial number, phone type, ID etc. is transmitted. Plain text - no SSL - of course. I block my data anyways using XPrivacy and Droidwall and needless to say, I disabled all the clous services but this app immideately leaves my device. A keyboard is the most sensitive and important app on the device. It records everything, every single keystroke and sending out anything here is an absolute no-go. Breach of trust. I paid for the app, felt good about it and now I feel shocked how this company spies it customers.

My recommendation for everyone who takes security or privacy a little bit serious: Get rid of the software. Uninstall it immideately!
It's sad because the software is good but spying without opt-out on paying customers is unacceptable!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

"In relation to our Apps such as SwiftKey, learned language data generated and stored on your computing devices, such as mobile phones and tablets, is never accessed by, or transmitted to us unless you wish to use additional features or services which would require the use of such data. Where we offer any additional services or facilities that do require use of data which might include personal information, such as server-based personalized services, then we will always seek your consent to the use of such data before providing such services or facilities."

There is really nothing to worry about here.

Thanks guys,

Joe