[Q] Original Sidekick Notifications and Ringtones

Search This thread

sbshetley

May 7, 2010
The old sidekicks are out of commission so I do not see where this would be a problem. Does anyone have the original Sidekick ringtones available? Specifically Dangerous Girl or the "Danger" ones.

sbshetley

May 7, 2010
Can't stay with the old one and still have internet. I think my wife would have. I had to pull it from her hands. I finally got an Iphone in her hands but that was hard for both of us. I couldn't get her to settle on an android device. I have the Inspire, one of the best phones i've ever had. She wants the ringtones though from it and I didn't have a developer key from Danger where i could get them. If it were even possible.

gearhead27

Jul 24, 2010
twitter.com
I've been searching around on google for a good half an hour and haven't found anythng except a few youtube clips. All we need are the audio files to convert to an mp3 and the rest is easy. We could also download the videos from youtube and rip the audio that way.

Reactions: sbshetley

sbshetley

May 7, 2010
I've been searching around on google for a good half an hour and haven't found anythng except a few youtube clips. All we need are the audio files to convert to an mp3 and the rest is easy. We could also download the videos from youtube and rip the audio that way.

I actually thought about that. And then I thought about running them through Audacity for quality improvement. I just was hoping beyond hope that someone would have one. I tried to re-open a thread on another forum but no one has responded. The person had some of the effects, just none of the tones.

ncmacasl

May 23, 2011
Wilson, NC
I found a post with these files. (not allowed to post links yet!)

Dated 12/2008 on Android Community

New Message.zip‎ (25.2 KB, 4606 views)
Attention.zip‎ (18.5 KB, 1244 views)
Blue Flute.zip‎ (36.1 KB, 802 views)
AIM.zip‎ (44.3 KB, 1127 views)
Bell Tree.zip‎ (58.0 KB, 556 views)
Bird Call.zip‎ (25.5 KB, 471 views)
Default Beep.zip‎ (24.5 KB, 639 views)
Ding-A-Ling.zip‎ (38.8 KB, 473 views)
Evil Overlord.zip‎ (33.6 KB, 485 views)
Frogs.zip‎ (25.1 KB, 427 views)
Future Ring.zip‎ (74.3 KB, 578 views)
Siren.zip‎ (43.7 KB, 497 views)
Wah-Wah.zip‎ (42.7 KB, 530 views)

not sure if files still work, but worth a try!!!

Reactions: khudori

Sweet Peaches

Oct 15, 2010

Hey good to see you here! :) I too wondered about the ringtones from the original Sidekick but I never had a developer key but that's okay.

Reactions: khudori

orange808

May 9, 2011
A developer's key wouldn't help much with getting ringtones off the Danger powered Hiptops.

We would need an inside source that had access to "hands on" development at Danger to get the actual files that the Hiptop used. The original sound files were stored as Beatnik .RMF files--although the device did support up to 17 seconds of audio with a compessed 16-bit, 11kHz, IMA (4:1) WAV files.

Even if you could dump perfect originals, you wouldn't be able to use them on Android. Google did not license Beatnik's compression technology and the development community has moved toward XMF--an open format for MIDI triggered audio.

The best way to get the sounds now is to plug the device directly into a computer and record the sounds directly. That would require taking a few extra minutes to crop and clean up the recordings, but it should work.

Reactions: The Pope of Dope

The Pope of Dope

Oct 16, 2010
A developer's key wouldn't help much with getting ringtones off the Danger powered Hiptops.

We would need an inside source that had access to "hands on" development at Danger to get the actual files that the Hiptop used. The original sound files were stored as Beatnik .RMF files--although the device did support up to 17 seconds of audio with a compessed 16-bit, 11kHz, IMA (4:1) WAV files.

Even if you could dump perfect originals, you wouldn't be able to use them on Android. Google did not license Beatnik's compression technology and the development community has moved toward XMF--an open format for MIDI triggered audio.

The best way to get the sounds now is to plug the device directly into a computer and record the sounds directly. That would require taking a few extra minutes to crop and clean up the recordings, but it should work.
Doing this as we speak.

orange808

May 9, 2011
Does anybody have an original Sidekick or Color Sidekick? I traded mine in as I upgraded and the oldest device I own is a Sidekick 2.

It would be nice to have the sounds from the original device.

Sent from my SGH-T839 using XDA App

orange808

May 9, 2011
Nice work. Thanks.

I'll go ahead and rip the SKII audio, icons, and make a Danger checkerboard wallpaper.

I'll throw them on sugarsync when I'm done.

Sent from my SGH-T839 using XDA App

ged92781

Mar 8, 2007
My thanks to those who have posted the sounds from the old Sidekicks. I rooted my Sidekick and put one of the tones on the internal memory at /system/audio/notifications/. I can set it as my chosen tone in the messaging app, but it doesn't play after I copy it. Also, I noticed the pre-loaded sounds are in .ogg format. Should ÷ convert the mp3 to ogg and retry? Or, should it work either way?

Sent from my T-Mobile Sidekick 4G.

sbshetley

May 7, 2010
Thank you!

Thank you for everyone's hard work!! The original sidekicks will be greatly missed, in my opinion. I haven't had a chance to play with the 4g yet, but my wife is still having withdrawls!

orange808

May 9, 2011
Sidekick II backgrounds

Here's the Sidekick II classic "checkboard" wallpaper background.

Pull the wallpaper size to fit the entire image before you apply it.

The icon images will probably need to be resized. They also don't look quite right without the blue dot behind them. But, they seem to fit the rest of the Android theme better like this...

Attachments

• backround1.png
    backround1.png
    64.4 KB · Views: 488
  • backround2.jpg
    backround2.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 327
  • message.png
    message.png
    59.8 KB · Views: 289
  • email.png
    email.png
    36.4 KB · Views: 258
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I just tried the link and it isn't working. Can you try SugarSync or DropBox?

I guess it'd help to give the right link. ;)

http://tigzy.com/android/sadclown.mp3

try that one.
    dude seriously..... u shouldve just stayed with the old one -.-

Sorry to bump this thread but the Sidekick ringtones have now hit onj3.andrelouis.com!
    Enjoy, includes the original system sounds and ringtones.