[WIDGET] HTC Clock with RSS feeds

Search This thread

djbrutale

Jun 3, 2008
Linz
Hy dudes,

what do you think of my clock widget?
I copied the htc sense clock widget and added RSS feeds...
take a look on the screenshot and tell me if you like it, or what you would change.

Functions:
* Click on the clock -> Settings Activity opens
* Click on the rss feed -> Browser opens with the url to the post
* The displayed rss feed gets switchted every * seconds
* The rss feeds gets updated every * minutes

attachment.php
attachment.php

regards,

Sebastian

Attachments

• device.jpg
    device.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 5,280
  • device2.jpg
    device2.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 4,385
Last edited:

charliebigpot

Apr 27, 2010
I love the idea! There should be buttons to scroll through the through the feeds though. What happens if you tap the news feed?
Servus,
Charlie.

k4p741nkrunch

Jun 14, 2010
Florida
That looks like an awesome widget! As for the last post, well I'd probably do something better than just one story with some next/previous buttons. If you could make 5 icons or so along the bottom of the clock, one for each rss category/feed and switch to just the top story of each when pressed then you could avoid loading huge amounts of data for just a widget. This would still give the user some variety and the ability to see many types of information from the home screen, something I'm very fond of.

djbrutale

Jun 3, 2008
Linz
Thx, for the valuable feedback!

Currently the rss content get refreshed every 30min, the widget switches every 10sec the item that gets displayed.
When you click on the text the browser opens to the responding page of the current rss post.
If you click on the watch you get into the config activity where it is possible to change the loading / refresh times and also the rss feed xml http link.

I'm not sure about the buttons, because there is so less space in the widget, if i show the datum, category or buttons, i have to remove at least two lines of the rss feed. But maybe two lines are enough, because if you wanna know more, you can open the web page...

I test the app for the next few days, i'm not sure if it is stable right now. If everything works out, i'll might post it here.. but i'm not sure if i should do that, because the manipulated images are from HTC...

:)

Agosh13

Dec 27, 2009
Thx, for the valuable feedback!

Currently the rss content get refreshed every 30min, the widget switches every 10sec the item that gets displayed.
When you click on the text the browser opens to the responding page of the current rss post.
If you click on the watch you get into the config activity where it is possible to change the loading / refresh times and also the rss feed xml http link.

I'm not sure about the buttons, because there is so less space in the widget, if i show the datum, category or buttons, i have to remove at least two lines of the rss feed. But maybe two lines are enough, because if you wanna know more, you can open the web page...

I test the app for the next few days, i'm not sure if it is stable right now. If everything works out, i'll might post it here.. but i'm not sure if i should do that, because the manipulated images are from HTC...

:)
Maby you can integrate it with google reader official app?

Scrammy

Jun 9, 2009
Stockholm
Give it to me already! :-D

Looks beautiful.
Yeah, arrows or something to look att next post would be great, altough i see your point in less space...so perhaps a slide-function? slide down for more posts/se more text from the feed.

If you want a Beta tester im willing!
send me a pm och mail me. (Ill promise not to share it if you dont want to :))

Scrupix

Nov 9, 2009
Bucharest
It should be like the default htc sense clock ;) white, not black.
Also it will be perfect if it will be possible to connect him with your google reader account and to show the news from google reader :D
Where can I download?

UAL4588

Feb 16, 2011
West Lafayette
I think that you should have an option of rotating weather and RSS. I would love to have weather too as my phone is my only source. SO it could be like a rotation between the two every 30 seconds or something. And then maybe you could integrate it with the News app that comes with 2.2 and up so there is an option of updating from google?

Beowulf_pt

Jul 29, 2010
Lisbon
I don't know about looks but have something like this on my Symbian home and find it very handy. The big clock is useful and easy to read (prefer it with the original HTC font) and the rotating feeds are always useful and informative.. now and then I pick a useful one and just click on it. Useful and pretty good.

To use the space better only adding well, another layer with a little weather symbol, but that's another story.

In any case, good work I'd say. Do refine it. :)

luciferii

Feb 26, 2011
come on man! stop teasing us with it and just post the widget please! i want it so bad!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hy dudes,

what do you think of my clock widget?
    I copied the htc sense clock widget and added RSS feeds...
    take a look on the screenshot and tell me if you like it, or what you would change.

Functions:
    * Click on the clock -> Settings Activity opens
    * Click on the rss feed -> Browser opens with the url to the post
    * The displayed rss feed gets switchted every * seconds
    * The rss feeds gets updated every * minutes

attachment.php
    attachment.php

regards,

Sebastian