[RECOVERY][GPL] ClockworkMod 3.1.0.1 PURPLE UPGRADE RFS/EXT4/USB CUSTOM FOR EPIC4G

Search This thread

DRockstar

Retired Recognized Developer
Sep 30, 2010
Pasadena, CA
CWM 3.1.0.1 PURPLE UPGRADE WITH RFS/EXT4/USB MASS STORAGE SUPPORT!

Some of you might be asking,

WHY DID I DO THIS?

Well, as soon as I released cwm 3.0.2.5, I got requests from all over the epic community, to make some changes to cwm, changes I couldn't incorporate, until I learned to compile the ClockworkMod binary itself. So, with some help from skeeterslint and Rodderik, I did just that...

So, the changes in CWM 3.1.0.1 purple are:

* USB Mass Storage working from the menu, and top text changed, to reflect safe removal of sdcard from PC *before* leaving USB Mass Storage menu
* Purple text and icon color, everyone seemed to hate the orange color
* Key Codes fixed, menu is now the select key, and top text changed to reflect this
* Only one "No" in confirmations, only need to click down once to get to "Yes"
* Built-in busybox is full Cyanogen busybox 1.16.2, with --install -s feature built in
* sd-ext ext4 partition listed in recovery.fstab, a direct change from koush
* Compatible with cwm 3.0.2.5, and has been tested by many in irc.fossnet.info #epic channel

These features are the direct results of feedback from both devs and users in the irc channel... so, if you want input on things like this in the future... it pays to be involved in the epic irc channel!

Please note: some people have had the samsung recovery appear after this flash, and in my testing, in some circumstances, the stock kernel can actually flash back the stock recovery. Due to this, I highly recommend that anyone flashing the new cwm with this flash, please also flash my clean kernel, located here: Clean Kernel EC05 thread Also note, that the one click version of this should not have this problem, since it takes away the ability of the stock kernel to flash the samsung recovery.

OK, there's been some confusion to what the recovery kernel is and does... even among developers at times... so let me explain, before you download:

This flashes the recovery partition of the phone. When I release a CWM upgrade, I am flashing bml8, which is the recovery partition. The recovery partition is only booted when the phone is powered off, and a 3 finger boot is performed, using vol down, camera, and power, held down until the menu appears.

Reboot recovery relies on the kernel (bml7), or a cwm redirector (from the stock kernel, is what the one click root does) to provide cwm, which is why you get an older cwm version with reboot recovery with most kernels. My Clean Kernel EC05 was made to provide a bassline for other kernels for cwm reboot recovery, so until other kernel devs incorporate the new recovery into their kernels, the Clean Kernel is the only one that does reboot recovery to cwm 3.1.0.1. I hope this clarifies things a bit.

I have been actively training other kernel devs on how to incorporate cwm reboot recovery into their kernels, so that koush himself can start pushing cwm updates officially through ROM Manager. This is how ROM Manager is intended to be used (and once was, before ext4 invaded the epic development scene)... but for this to happen, the new recovery needs to be standardized, and everyone on the same page, for this to happen. I know koush will be ready to push official cwm updates for the Epic through ROM Manager, as soon as we as a community are ready for it.

NEW!!! Thanks to qbking77 for making this video, showing both install methods in action, for those that just hate to read instructions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsRA7q4JWPQ

DOWNLOADS

cwm3.1.0.1.purple.zip

Flash this with your current ClockworkMod to be upgraded!

NEW!!! If you have problems with the flashing the zip, or just wanna use Odin, here is an Odin flashable tar will get you all squared away, with a quickness, just load the file into the PDA slot of Odin
cwm3.1.0.1.tar.md5

NOTE: if you're phone won't boot after flashing the zip from cwm, just flash this, there is no need to flash a complete stock tar.

Notes:

* This flashes bml8 kernel only, this kernel is stripped of bloat, for minimal file size

* 3 finger boot required to enter the bml8 recovery from power off

* Key assignments: vol/keypad up/down= up/down, camera button/menu softkey/keypad enter= enter, back softkey/power/keypad delete= back
hehe: has mkasick keyboard patch, so thumbing is faster!!!

* Full restores of backups done from prior cwm versions may not be possible. Do backup and restore > advanced > {choose backup} > and selectively restore the partitions you need.

* Once new backups are performed, those backups can be restored to *either* rfs or ext4.

* Now backup and restore includes both the kernel and recovery too

* Use in conjunction with my Clean Kernel, for ROM Manager support, other kernels will soon follow suit:
Clean Kernel EC05 thread

credits:

THE COMMUNITY!!!! I HAVE FINALLY SEEN DEVS WORKING TOGETHER IN WAYS I DIDN'T THINK WERE POSSIBLE...
LET'S KEEP THIS UP, AND KNOW THAT COOPERATION BENEFITS EVERYONE!!!!

* kain203: donated the use of an 8 core linux machine for my use in compiling kernels and the cwm binary. This *greatly* increased my productivity, and allowed me to edit and compile everything for cwm and my kernel, *all* from my Epic 4G, believe it or not...
* Rodderik: without his initial kernel training, I never would have gotten this done at all, also, helping with installing packages necessary to get cwm to compile, he also generously provides the hosting for these files you're downloading.
* koush: the friggin man! The creator of ClockworkMod and ROM Manager! He gave me the advice I needed to finally get dual fs support!
* tanimn: for hosting of cwm koush files in this github, and sharing experience that was genuinely helpful
* vocaltreat: the cwm3.1.0.1 purple clockworkmod icon
* skeeterslint: help in getting cwm to compile, and pointing me to files to edit, from his prior expertise on cwm
* mkasick: for the keyboard sysfs patch, for faster key response

Notes for sources:
The Samsung kernel, ClockworkMod, and busybox, are *all* open source, and as such, mods to all, should have the sources included. Since I like to *practice* what I preach, here are all the sources for the CWM kernel, recovery, and busybox edits:

https://github.com/DRockstar/CWM-3.1.0.1-Kernel
https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_device_samsung_epic4g
https://github.com/DRockstar/android_bootable_recovery
https://github.com/DRockstar/android_external_busybox

Last edited:

ebejoe

Dec 28, 2010
Is this compatible with EE03? I see it flashes a kernel and assume that it isn't compatible with the gingerbread leak.

chris41g

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 10, 2009
Now I need that initram for my kernel drock! Goodjob..

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App

JohnCorleone

Dec 19, 2010
Whittier,CA
Worked perfect first try. I actually am using Genocide 1.1 kernel and had no problem. Thank you for the hard work. The purple looks sharp. I can see a purple and black theme in the future now

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA Premium App

Phasma343

Sep 24, 2007
Denver
Really like not having to scroll through so many "NO"'s just to flash something.
Excellent work

The busybox is awesome too.

MДЯCЦSДИT

Nov 21, 2010
Will this work correctly on gingerbread or will it mess up the kernel?

MДЯCЦSДИT

Nov 21, 2010
1. Can you make a version in red?
2. Can I use this in my rom?

JohnCorleone

Dec 19, 2010
Whittier,CA
Just did my first theme flash from the new recovery. Its so much better not having to scroll through the "NO's." I didn't think it was that big of a deal at first but it really is much better. Great job.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA Premium App

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    CWM 3.1.0.1 PURPLE UPGRADE WITH RFS/EXT4/USB MASS STORAGE SUPPORT!

Some of you might be asking,

WHY DID I DO THIS?

Well, as soon as I released cwm 3.0.2.5, I got requests from all over the epic community, to make some changes to cwm, changes I couldn't incorporate, until I learned to compile the ClockworkMod binary itself. So, with some help from skeeterslint and Rodderik, I did just that...

So, the changes in CWM 3.1.0.1 purple are:

* USB Mass Storage working from the menu, and top text changed, to reflect safe removal of sdcard from PC *before* leaving USB Mass Storage menu
    * Purple text and icon color, everyone seemed to hate the orange color
    * Key Codes fixed, menu is now the select key, and top text changed to reflect this
    * Only one "No" in confirmations, only need to click down once to get to "Yes"
    * Built-in busybox is full Cyanogen busybox 1.16.2, with --install -s feature built in
    * sd-ext ext4 partition listed in recovery.fstab, a direct change from koush
    * Compatible with cwm 3.0.2.5, and has been tested by many in irc.fossnet.info #epic channel

These features are the direct results of feedback from both devs and users in the irc channel... so, if you want input on things like this in the future... it pays to be involved in the epic irc channel!

Please note: some people have had the samsung recovery appear after this flash, and in my testing, in some circumstances, the stock kernel can actually flash back the stock recovery. Due to this, I highly recommend that anyone flashing the new cwm with this flash, please also flash my clean kernel, located here: Clean Kernel EC05 thread Also note, that the one click version of this should not have this problem, since it takes away the ability of the stock kernel to flash the samsung recovery.

OK, there's been some confusion to what the recovery kernel is and does... even among developers at times... so let me explain, before you download:

This flashes the recovery partition of the phone. When I release a CWM upgrade, I am flashing bml8, which is the recovery partition. The recovery partition is only booted when the phone is powered off, and a 3 finger boot is performed, using vol down, camera, and power, held down until the menu appears.

Reboot recovery relies on the kernel (bml7), or a cwm redirector (from the stock kernel, is what the one click root does) to provide cwm, which is why you get an older cwm version with reboot recovery with most kernels. My Clean Kernel EC05 was made to provide a bassline for other kernels for cwm reboot recovery, so until other kernel devs incorporate the new recovery into their kernels, the Clean Kernel is the only one that does reboot recovery to cwm 3.1.0.1. I hope this clarifies things a bit.

I have been actively training other kernel devs on how to incorporate cwm reboot recovery into their kernels, so that koush himself can start pushing cwm updates officially through ROM Manager. This is how ROM Manager is intended to be used (and once was, before ext4 invaded the epic development scene)... but for this to happen, the new recovery needs to be standardized, and everyone on the same page, for this to happen. I know koush will be ready to push official cwm updates for the Epic through ROM Manager, as soon as we as a community are ready for it.

NEW!!! Thanks to qbking77 for making this video, showing both install methods in action, for those that just hate to read instructions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsRA7q4JWPQ

DOWNLOADS

cwm3.1.0.1.purple.zip

Flash this with your current ClockworkMod to be upgraded!

NEW!!! If you have problems with the flashing the zip, or just wanna use Odin, here is an Odin flashable tar will get you all squared away, with a quickness, just load the file into the PDA slot of Odin
    cwm3.1.0.1.tar.md5

NOTE: if you're phone won't boot after flashing the zip from cwm, just flash this, there is no need to flash a complete stock tar.

Notes:

* This flashes bml8 kernel only, this kernel is stripped of bloat, for minimal file size

* 3 finger boot required to enter the bml8 recovery from power off

* Key assignments: vol/keypad up/down= up/down, camera button/menu softkey/keypad enter= enter, back softkey/power/keypad delete= back
    hehe: has mkasick keyboard patch, so thumbing is faster!!!

* Full restores of backups done from prior cwm versions may not be possible. Do backup and restore > advanced > {choose backup} > and selectively restore the partitions you need.

* Once new backups are performed, those backups can be restored to *either* rfs or ext4.

* Now backup and restore includes both the kernel and recovery too

* Use in conjunction with my Clean Kernel, for ROM Manager support, other kernels will soon follow suit:
    Clean Kernel EC05 thread

credits:

THE COMMUNITY!!!! I HAVE FINALLY SEEN DEVS WORKING TOGETHER IN WAYS I DIDN'T THINK WERE POSSIBLE...
    LET'S KEEP THIS UP, AND KNOW THAT COOPERATION BENEFITS EVERYONE!!!!

* kain203: donated the use of an 8 core linux machine for my use in compiling kernels and the cwm binary. This *greatly* increased my productivity, and allowed me to edit and compile everything for cwm and my kernel, *all* from my Epic 4G, believe it or not...
    * Rodderik: without his initial kernel training, I never would have gotten this done at all, also, helping with installing packages necessary to get cwm to compile, he also generously provides the hosting for these files you're downloading.
    * koush: the friggin man! The creator of ClockworkMod and ROM Manager! He gave me the advice I needed to finally get dual fs support!
    * tanimn: for hosting of cwm koush files in this github, and sharing experience that was genuinely helpful
    * vocaltreat: the cwm3.1.0.1 purple clockworkmod icon
    * skeeterslint: help in getting cwm to compile, and pointing me to files to edit, from his prior expertise on cwm
    * mkasick: for the keyboard sysfs patch, for faster key response

Notes for sources:
    The Samsung kernel, ClockworkMod, and busybox, are *all* open source, and as such, mods to all, should have the sources included. Since I like to *practice* what I preach, here are all the sources for the CWM kernel, recovery, and busybox edits:

https://github.com/DRockstar/CWM-3.1.0.1-Kernel
    https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_device_samsung_epic4g
    https://github.com/DRockstar/android_bootable_recovery
    https://github.com/DRockstar/android_external_busybox
    and a side note... official cwm 5 will be imminent... testing has been underway for the past couple of days now, just some other cwm bugs to work out, and we'll finally have our first official cwm recovery since v2.x...
    I almost forgot to post all of my sources for this, which is very important to me... sources for the cwm Kernel, recovery, and busybox, are all listed at the bottom of the post.
    Nice work. You going to make this a one click method?
    When you use Quickboot or Rom Manager to boot into recovery it boots you into the redirecter CWM that is setup in /system/bin the 3 finger button combo will boot you into the cwm that is flashed as a recovery kernel onto bml8 of the device.