FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

How to make an extended rom - a tutorial.

1,104 posts
Thanks Meter: 6

By meschle, Retired Moderator on 3rd September 2007, 06:38 PM
Thread Deleted Email Thread
N.B. Disclaimer - try at your own risk - i am not responsible for anything that happens to your device.

Tools needed (all attached)
1. Winimage - open extended_rom.nb with this to view contents. (winimage is a trial but lasts 30 days of use i.e. only the days you use it)
2. Dark simpsons - Htc Rom Tool - use nb to make nbh for flashing
3. Dutty's tool - to extract os.nb (windows.nb) and extended_rom.nb from rom nbh file
(note os.nb can be left out if your simply modifying existing extended rom)

STEPS
1. Open extended_rom.nb with winimage - remove any cabs programs you dont want in your ext rom.
2. Extract config.txt to desktop - this gives instructions on which cabs etc to install.

3. Edit config.txt - add name of cabs in same format as shown
e.g. one i did for the touch but never used

LOCK:Enabled
CAB: \Extended_ROM\Customization_1.cab
LOCK: Disabled
RST: Reset

Second line is to install a cab

Lock enabled. lock disabled, rst reset always needs to be included.

4. Add cabs via winimage - inject or drag and drop
5. Delete old config.txt and inject or drag and drop new one.
6. Right click on cabs and config.txt in winimage and set 'read only' (other wise cabs will deleted from ext rom after install)
To resize extended rom - use Image - Change format
7. Save and exit winimage.

8. Extract windows.nb from your rom using dutty's tool (enclosed) - rename os.nb. (note os.nb can be left out if your simply modifying existing extended rom)
9. Open Dark simpsons htc rom rool -rom builder - choose artemis, select System - os.nb (nb see note in step 8), ExtRom - choose your extended_rom.nb
10. Save and rom tool will make Your rom.nbh
11. Then you can flash as normal with rom update utility.

Thanks to faria for images and info that i based this tutorial on.

I've included an empty (apart from config.txt) 2mb extended rom.nb that you can use and add files too.
Attached Files
File Type: zip winimage, dutty's & htc tools.zip - [Click for QR Code] (843.5 KB, 5501 views)
File Type: zip ExtendedRom 2mb.zip - [Click for QR Code] (509.9 KB, 4121 views)

3rd September 2007, 07:07 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Thanks, as I said you are one dedicated dude.
3rd September 2007, 07:55 PM |#3  
Flag msw
Thanks Meter: 12

More
what is the max. ext_rom area size?
regards,
3rd September 2007, 08:16 PM |#4  
OP Retired Moderator
Flag Coventry, England

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdp24

what is the max. ext_rom area size?
regards,

Largest ext rom i've seen 15mb (smallest in winimage - image - change format = 160kb) - i would use the smallest that you need.
3rd September 2007, 11:07 PM |#5  
Flag in front of your monitor
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Thumbs up wow....
Great work,
you earned another Guinness from me....
Now i think it's time to test it...
Thanks a lot
Cheers, Peter
4th September 2007, 01:53 PM |#6  
Flag climbing somewhere...
Thanks Meter: 37

More
Thanks Meschle !

And what about a new tutorial for newbies to make Roms ?

Cheers!
4th September 2007, 04:42 PM |#7  
OP Retired Moderator
Flag Coventry, England

More
Newbies should'nt be making rom
This is my theory for a newbie who has such ambitions - take this path.
1. Successfuly edit registry
2. Unlock and flash cooked rom
3. Cook extended rom
4. Learn how to make cab files
5. Decompile nbh into nb's and compile new nbh with different nb's
6. After these 5 steps are completed newbie will no longer be a newbie and ready to cook a rom - it doesnt matter which order thats done in its just a guide - also cab making is not absolutely essential but preferable.
The Following User Says Thank You to meschle For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift meschle Ad-Free
4th September 2007, 05:28 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Smile
Hi Meschle, I will attempt to get to 3, so here's my question, is it possible to make items from the extended rom install onto the sd card or just the device? also, if the cabs are deleted after install, is the memory they occupied then free for storage? Thanks.
4th September 2007, 05:57 PM |#9  
OP Retired Moderator
Flag Coventry, England

More
Hi uniqueboy - there is a way to force cabs to storage card using a xml cab - have not tried it myself for storage card but have for main memory - so really ext rom is for main memory only installation. If you do not put a read only marker on your cab its deleted but usually the ext rom becomes corrupted so nonuse-able.
4th September 2007, 06:37 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 26

More
hi meschle. Thanks for your tutorial.

is there a way to make a extended_rom.nb file from scratch (file,new) with Winimage by throwing-in cabs and config.txt and saving, with whatever parameters and naming as extended_rom.nb ?

I´ve managed to copy to desktop PC my extended_rom by using total commander, but from reading yor tutorial it seems that we need a ROM Dump to start with. If this is the case...would you please also tell us which is the simplest/safest way to dump a device ROM?
Thanks again
4th September 2007, 06:44 PM |#11  
OP Retired Moderator
Flag Coventry, England

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirgawain123

hi meschle. Thanks for your tutorial.

is there a way to make a extended_rom.nb file from scratch (file,new) with Winimage by throwing-in cabs and config.txt and saving, with whatever parameters and naming as extended_rom.nb ?

I´ve managed to copy to desktop PC my extended_rom by using total commander, but from reading yor tutorial it seems that we need a ROM Dump to start with. If this is the case...would you please also tell us which is the simplest/safest way to dump a device ROM?
Thanks again

Yes you always need an extended_rom.nb to start with - use duttys tools to extract all the nb's from the nbh - its quite easy.

I'll post the 2mb extended_rom.nb so people can use it as a template.
Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread