One click ODEXing a ROM for more RAM and better speed.

Did you find this post useful?

• Total voters
Search This thread

nibras_reeza

Feb 8, 2011
Colombo
nibras.co.cc
This means the script is unable to access log.txt. This happens if there was a unsuccessful idex attempt. This is a Windows issue. Just make a copy of the whole folder and run again or try clearing the log.txt.
this process connot access the file because it is being used by another process...
this process connot access the file because it is being used by another process...
starting odexing...it might take a few minutes to finish...

your device is now odexed

is this right or is something wrong?

Sent from my GT540 using XDA App

nibras_reeza

Feb 8, 2011
Colombo
nibras.co.cc
On linux or Windows?

you have to use adb push odex folder with odex.sh to /data/odex/ and then type adb shell chmod 4755 /data/odex/odex.sh

Then, adb remount system

Then type adb shell sh odex.sh

That's all for odexing.

Then, clear dalvik cache and reboot. Do a factory reset if possible(not important but its a good idea).

The reason Ive omitted exact procedure is because different people have different prederences.

For the advanced method what's the exact commands etc

Danzano

May 21, 2011
Auckland
If odexing a de odexed rom much easier and bat file works on partially odexed rom bat doesn't work why is this?

Danzano

May 21, 2011
Auckland
just odexed m6 tends to glitch at times screen goes black then reappears also root explorer seems to work then doesnt im thinking might have to re install but system does seem faster im also going to change default low mem settings see if it helps

nibras_reeza

Feb 8, 2011
Colombo
nibras.co.cc
If odexing a de odexed rom much easier and bat file works on partially odexed rom bat doesn't work why is this?

Use full stops and periods. lol I had a hard time grabbing what you said.

Hmm, the bat would still work in partially odexed ROM. The bat merely saves you a few commands for remount, reboot, copying scripts etc. If you run it on a partially odexed ROM, it would throw in a few errors but nothing will break.

nibras_reeza

Feb 8, 2011
Colombo
nibras.co.cc
just odexed m6 tends to glitch at times screen goes black then reappears also root explorer seems to work then doesnt im thinking might have to re install but system does seem faster im also going to change default low mem settings see if it helps
I had problems with Root Explorer. I do not know why. Just remove it using Root Uninstaller.

You can reinstall Root Explorer from Market but if you want to reinstall, remember to clear data of Root Explorer before you uninstall.

And, I'd recommend using File Expert which happens to be my personal favorite. It replaces Astro, Root Explorer and Notepad. It especially helps me with its easy to launch FTP/HTTP sharing of SD.

Danzano

May 21, 2011
Auckland
If you download a new app or two can u odex again?
What I mean is will it odex the new apks and skip what's already been odexed?

nibras_reeza

Feb 8, 2011
Colombo
nibras.co.cc
If you download a new app or two can u odex again?
What I mean is will it odex the new apks and skip what's already been odexed?

System apps are rarely updated. Might I remind that this odexed only apks in system/app and not data/app?

Usually, updating will break the app. So, after every update, you need to delete the odex file and odex the ROM again. This script will throw in an error if the apk is already odexed but it won't break anything. This script is suitable for both unodexed and partially odexed ROMs.

I'm looking into odexing user apps. I odexed mine but the problem is automatically running the script after the app is updated.

desmail

Jan 1, 2011
BARI
I tried the ODEX greendroid v.2 Rom, with the script for windows, ok!
go with rootexplorer system/data and do not see any files .ODEX. where I went wrong?
you can do with rom eclair?

desmail

Jan 1, 2011
BARI
Welcome to Nibras's auto odexer for Windows.
============================================

"Make sure you have made a NAND backup before proceeding."

This script will *attempt* to odex all apks found at /system/app.
Therefore, it must be noted that theming would be impossible once
the ROM is odexed. However, themes applied at the time of odexing
will be preserved. If you plan on applying a theme, apply it
before odexing. If you want to theme after odexing, you must deodex
the ROM before theming. If you change themes often, odexing is not
for you.

===============================================================
[ ]
[ AS WITH ANY MODDING PROCEDURE/SCRIPTS FOR YOUR PHONE, ]
[ THIS SCIPT ALSO COMES WITH NO WARRANTY. AUTHOR HOLDS ]
[ NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY DIRECT AND INDIRECT CONSQUENCES ]
[ OF RUNNING THIS SCRIPT. ]
[ ]
===============================================================

"DO NOT RUN THIS ON AN ALREADY ODEXED ROM."

"Press CTRL + C to exit... "

Premere un tasto per continuare . . .
It's recommended that you switch on airplane mode on your phone
to avoid any interruptions. Please connect it via USB and make
sure USB debugging is enabled.

push: odex/zipalign -> /data/odex/zipalign
failed to copy 'odex/zipalign' to '/data/odex/zipalign': Is a directory
Staring odexing... It might take a few minutes to finish...

Your device is now odexed.

this is my output-script.

Last edited:

chaudha4@hotmail.com

Feb 28, 2011
Can I use this on Data2System ROM

I have M6 d2s running. Can I use this batch file on that. Probably not. What changes are required to run this batch file on d2s roms ?

Danzano

May 21, 2011
Auckland
Bat file zipaligns aswell?
And what needs changing to do user apps?
I wanna be able to odex everything but the framework.
Get it right now so its easier in m7 up ;)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here's an alternative way to gain more RAM and performance without odexing.
    Get more RAM and faster responses by disabling verify-bytecode!

This process will usually give just as much as performance boost as odexing SYSTEM and USER app.

AS WITH ANY MODDING PROCEDURE/SCRIPTS FOR YOUR PHONE, THIS SCIPT ALSO COMES WITH NO WARRANTY. AUTHOR HOLDS NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY DIRECT AND INDIRECT CONSEQUENCES OF RUNNING THIS SCRIPT. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE MADE A NAND BACKUP BEFORE PROCEEDING. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE AT LEAST 15% FREE ON /SYSTEM, THIS IS IMPORTANT BECAUSE IF YOU RUN OUT OF SPACE THINGS WILL GO BADLY WRONG..

Requires busybox.

If your system partition is almost full, have a look at http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=734236.

This script will *attempt* to odex all apks found at /system/app. Theming would be impossible once the ROM is odexed. Themes applied at the time of odexing will be preserved. If you plan on applying a theme, apply it before odexing. If you want to theme after odexing, you must deodex the ROM before theming. If you change themes often, odexing is not for you.

Quick Instructions for Windows:
    • Connect the phone with USB cable and enable USB debugging. (No wireless or Android Terminal shell)
    • Put the phone in airplane mode.
    • Download and extract the attached file and run odex.bat

Instructions for advanced users:
    This attachment contains a folder called odex. Push that folder to data and set the permission of odex.sh to 4755. Mount system as r/w(could be done via adb remount system). Next, execute odex.sh. All of this should be done via USB using ADB shell. Do not use wireless adb or Android Terminal.

Advantages:
    • More free space in system partition.
    • Faster booting.
    • More free RAM(I was able to gain 20-30MB.)
    • Faster access to system apps.

Disadvantages:
    • Cannot be themed after odexing.
    • APK tweaks cannot be applied.
    • Might break some of the non-AOSP system apps such as Root Explorer if they are installed as system app.

Acknowledgments:
    Only the odex.bat was created by me. Similar projects were done in past but most of the downloads are broken. So, I collected together different stuff from different places to put together this package.
    • adb.exe is from the RATC batch ROOT.
    • adb dlls are from Android SDK
    • odex.sh is from Paul O Brian from MoDaCo (pastebin.com/EZLWUdea)
    • zip, zipalign and dexopt-wrapper are from XDA (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=734236)

Next aim: Odex for apps in data/app

Update:
    I got 1017 on quadrant and 61.8fps on swiftdroid 2.0 M6 overclocked to 844MHz(offline mode with wifi on. No apps except system apps). It must be noted that sometimes odexed ROM performs slightly slower in benchmarks but the difference is very small. However, this does not mean their performance is lower. Odex means apps could load fast thereby making app switching, app loading really fast. And, it also reduces system RAM usage which means more apps could stay in memory making multi-tasking easier. Odexing is something like swap or compcache. Sacrifice something to gain something else. This is for some people who think odexing is useless. The drop in speed is so small that it cannot be noticed without a benchmark but the performance of the phone increases noticeably due to more space in dalvik and RAM. :)
    ugh...

Not really an "android boss" are you? Google it or search the forums.

Indeed... @androidboss, here you go. :)
    Nice work.

Few remarks.
    1) you need busybox installed for find
    2) "busybox --install" defaults to /usr/bin (not available on android)
    use "busybox --install ." when you cat-ed it to /system/xbin ;)

Something seems not OK though with the odex.sh script?

Code:
    Unable to create './Contacts.odex': File exists
            zip warning: name not matched: classes.dex

zip error: Nothing to do! (./Contacts.apk)
    Unable to open './Contacts.apk' as zip archive
    failed on './Contacts.apk.new' - No such file or directory
    Unable to create './VoiceSearch.odex': Permission denied
    Unable to create './Music.odex': File exists
            zip warning: name not matched: classes.dex
    Cheers
    if you want to get even more ram odex your framework ... On my froyo with odexed framework i got 123mb ram with stock autokiller values :) This is only odexing system/app so you are able to theme your framework without problems ...
    Should work in *most* cases.

Try the other disable verify bytecode tweak. It gives you the best of both worlds.

i just did and my phone immediately felt snappier. i tried it in the past but it broke my v6 but not anymore. :)