Release rk-Location Switch (1.0.3) [Updated 15 April 2008]

Search This thread

tytnguy

May 26, 2007
Just a click away
Here is a 'Phone location based application trigger’. Launches other applications, command lines and MortScripts and anything based on time frame and location you setup. Works on Windows Mobile Professional 5/6 (PDA with Phone) only.

Some of the possible uses have been added at second post below.

This is more advanced version of my application rk-Sleep, where you could just perform one action at one location.

rk-LocSwitch can have any numbers of locations and any numbers of actions. But please do understand that this is not a 'readymade profile application' but by configuring it properly you could make it a profile application and much more. Ultimately you can automatically customize your phone based on where you are and the time span you setup.

Also support fixed actions, actions at pre-defined time, not based on the location (This is helpfull to set up backlight 'Bright' during day hrs and 'dim' during eventing/nights)(This feature is freeware and does not expire) :)

Now the important thing, this is not a freeware, it is 3.99 USD for XDA-Developers.com members. The trial version runs for 15 days so that you can test it and see if it satisfies you.

Update 1.0.6
  • Support for undefined/unknown location actions added.
  • Application now by default starts in minimized mode(not the sys tray mode)
Update 1.0.5
  • Error while 'Testing' the actions is rectified.
Update 1.0.4
  • Option to Show/Hide the Tray icon added
  • Debug support added.
  • Cosmetic changes done.
Update 1.0.3
  • Support for hide/show 'Un-Defined' location icon.
  • Bug fixes

Update 1.0.2
  • Support command line tags, eg Application could automatically send information such as LocationName, LAC, CellID by using the command line tags <LocationName>, <LAC>, <CellID. By this you could even send sms based on your location Entry/Exit along with location info.
  • Application can update registry with the current Location name, LAC and CellID.(HKCU\Software\rk-LocSwitch). Now your custom application can access the location information!
  • New menu added to copy TowerIds from one location to other.
  • New menu added to copy actions from one location to other.
  • New menu to force saving of the configuration data.
  • Bug fixes
Setup:
  • Install the application.
  • Run the application rk-LocSwitch from programs for the first time from the programs menu, after which the application starts automatically after soft resets.
  • A new task bar icon will appear in the task tray, click it to launch the application(application runs hidden, this is the only way you can access the UI to set it up)
  • First tab in the application is ‘General’, the information mostly read-only; you can specify the polling time (in minutes) and enable/disable the application.
  • ‘Locations’: lot of information here. First you create a new location from the top part of the screen.
    • Location name is just a name such as ‘My Home’, ‘Office’ etc
    • Choose a icon ‘which would be displayed on the top notification bar’(you can have custom icons, just add the icons to the ‘\Icons’ folder under \Programs\rk-LocSwitch)
    • Check the box ‘Notify’(when ever you are at known location, a icon would show up on the title bar)
    • Specify the time frame such as 08:00 to 18:00(day schedule) or 22:00 to 06:00(for night schedule)
    • Specify if the location is of 'Undifined Type', If undefined then time frame settings are ignored and LocationIds are removed automatically.
    • Click OK to save this location
  • Add the current tower id displayed to the list, you could have multiple towers (if the location has interference from multiple towers or if you have say multiple ‘Places’ put under same location. Such as you want to configure the location ‘Office’ at two different physical locations but you want to have similar actions to perform.)
  • Now go to the ‘Actions’ button
  • You have ‘Entry’ and ‘Exit’ actions. You can add multiple actions for each action type. You can even order then ‘up’ or ‘down’. Use the ‘Action’ menu for additional commands such as ‘test the action’.
  • Next tab is 'Fixed Actions' here you could setup actions independent of 'Location' meaning these actions takes place irrespective of 'Locations' Useful for setting the backlight of the device.
  • Next tab is log where each attempt based on the polling time is logged. You can change the log action to log all, location change (Actions) only or none. Once you understand the concept put it to ‘None’(but if you think that something is not working then switch the log to all and investigate)
  • Last tab about: which is basically the registration module and the version info
Important notes:
  • Notes: if you want to configure home day and home night, you must have two locations setup such as ‘Home Day’ and ‘Home Sleep’ have the time frames carefully set e.g. 08:00 to 22:00(Home Day) and or 22:00 to 06:00(for night schedule). Do not overlap the time frames!
  • Keep the polling time as large as possible, unless you need real time response.(although I found keeping the polling to minimum (=2 minutes) did not make any noticeable difference to battery usage!. But test it out.
  • Do not forget to configure the ‘Entry’ and ‘Exit’ actions properly. Enter and exit actions generally should be cancelling each other (i.e. if you switch on flight mode on entry, make sure you have flight mode off on exit)
  • System is real time( ± Polling Time) , so if you are at home with flight mode activated and if you leave the home at mid night phone would switch back on.
  • If you really want to exit the program, use the right menu ‘Options’ and choose ‘Save & Exit’
  • When you start the application(not while activating the rk-LocSwitch) make sure the phone is not in flight mode
  • More importantly this is a ‘Switcher’ so I do not supply any command line applications to do your custom tasks; they are available in this site and over the internet. You are welcome to link in this thread so that it can be easily accessed by other users. But if some customization what you want is not available then you can make a request, and I will do my best to find one or built it myself.
Check in this thread for more pluggins
Note: This application requires Compact Framework 2.0
You need compact framework 2.0 installed inorder to run this application. The compact framework is already part of WM6, so if your device is WM6 skip this step. But most of the WM5 devices do not have this update. So you must download here and run the installation on your desktop (then active sync to update your device). Only after completing this step install the application.

Thank you all for the support.

Purchase

Download from here

Attachments

• rk-LocSwitch.JPG
    rk-LocSwitch.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 1,329
Last edited:

tytnguy

May 26, 2007
Just a click away
Possible uses

• Switch off Phone or Sound while at home during sleeping hours.
  • Keep backlight at low setting while inside house or office. Increase the backlight while outside house or office.
  • Make a alarm function say if you are at office play at mp3 at 5:00 PM
  • Wake you up at particular destination specifically travelling in bus or train where you travel regularly.
  • Load your favorite theme/wall paper as specific locations.
  • Send SMS on entry or exit of a location.
  • Will be updated…..

If you have some more ideas I am glad to update this list.

Last edited:

tytnguy

May 26, 2007
Just a click away
If you are using rk-OSR to check mail you could enable and disable based on your location using the following command line
Code:
"\Program Files\rk-OSR\rk-OSR.exe" Enable --> Enables the rk-OSR
"\Program Files\rk-OSR\rk-OSR.exe" Disable --> Disables the rk-OSR

Last edited:

tytnguy

May 26, 2007
Just a click away
rk-TSR Support

rk-TSR a Theme Switcher, You can load a pre-set theme/wallpaper based on your location!

Code:
\program files\rk-TSR\rk-TSR.exe enable
\program files\rk-TSR\rk-TSR.exe disable
\program files\rk-TSR\rk-TSR.exe “\storage card\rkAzulBlue.tsk”
(For command line the theme must be listed in rk-TSR)

Last edited:

tytnguy

May 26, 2007
Just a click away
I am planning to add following new features in the near future.
  • Add fixed actions at specified time irrespective of the location: This might help to set back light ‘bright’ during day and low during night.
  • Allow actions during the device status change such as wifi connected/disconnected, active sync done, soft reset etc
If you have any specific request please go ahead let me know.

tytnguy

May 26, 2007
Just a click away
rk-bk-Light a backlight command line switcher

Here is the command line backlight switcher

Code:
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]\Program Files\rk-bk-Light\rk-bk-Light.exe 2[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]\Program Files\rk-bk-Light\rk-bk-Light.exe 10[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]

Do not know if it works on all devices. But works on hermes

Note: This application requires Compact Framework 2.0
You need compact framework 2.0 installed inorder to run this application. The compact framework is already part of WM6, so if your device is WM6 skip this step. But most of the WM5 devices do not have this update. So you must download here and run the installation on your desktop (then active sync to update your device). Only after completing this step install the application.

Download from here

Last edited:

tytnguy

May 26, 2007
Just a click away
rk-LocSwitch Update 1.0.1

Fixes and enhancements
  • Added support for fixed actions
    • You can add any number of fixed schedules and add any number of actions on each such schedule(e.g. to set the backlight low during night and bright at day)
    • These fixed schedules not specific to the locations and will occur at the time specified.
    • Does work even if the application expired!(it is a freeware, only location service would not work)
  • Better file browser added, now you do not have to key in the command line.
  • Bug with the system not clearing some of the old notifications fixed.
  • Battery use better that before (almost makes no difference on the battery use!)
  • If you are upgrading from the old version please uninstall the old version and delete any existing notification manually (delete any notification with name ‘rk-LocSwitch’). Then install the new version.
  • Also added new component rk-BackLight to support setting backlight on command line.

tytnguy

May 26, 2007
Just a click away
rk-Calendar-Update: Convert all day Calendar events to time spanned events

To convert all day Calendar events to time spanned events automatically so that you don’t get reminders at midnight!

Use this utility if you are entering many appointments during day as 'Full Day Events' and difficult to manage it. Otherwise you can just run this utility once manually.

Read more about it here

Code:
\Program Files\rk-Calendar-Update.exe “08:00” “22:00”
Updates all your 'full day events' to fixed time event with specified time span.

D

Deleted member 384713

Hmm, No one has any comments? :eek:

Wasn't there a topic about this app with many comments like adding vibration on/off? I'll try this app with hermes.

EDIT: Oh this is a new app (update of rk-sleep)

Last edited by a moderator:

tytnguy

May 26, 2007
Just a click away
Guys, can this software send an sms to a predefined no. whenever the Tower ID changes.
It can not send sms as it is now, if you find exe, or mortscript which could send an sms then you could use this program.
This program is like a trigger which calls other executables based on location, so as long as you can point to right executable then you are good.
But let me know if you are not able to find a executable to send sms, I might be able to build one for you.

gnu0815

Jul 19, 2007
Hi TyTnGuy,

is it possible to get the geographic Coordinatas wich assigend to the Tower ID somewhere in the www?

gogol

May 20, 2005
tytnguy :)

What kind of battery indicator app do you use?

Is it a standalone battery indicator? or part of other app?

Really nice.

Attachments

• battery_indicator.jpg
    battery_indicator.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 50

mushipkw

Jul 25, 2006
Pilkhuwa
www.wmskins.com
Im looking from a very long time for an app. which can send an sms to a predefined no. But I couldn't find any such. I would be grateful if you can develop such app.
Thanx.