Dialer using large amount of battery after update on Gingerbread

Search This thread

rhodri11

Jun 16, 2011
Cardiff
Does anyone have an update to this topic. My battery is definitely being affected with the dialer process. It's getting to the point where I'm rebooting the phone after every call I make and receive which is just stupid.

Sent from my Desire HD using XDA App

JagDave

Jul 15, 2010
OnePlus 6
Leith found the dialer to be using data all the time, and has suggested droidwall while he looks into the problem.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Meatboy42

May 19, 2011
It might be using data as well, but there is definitely a sensor component involved. I remember reading a thread where they mentioned the Dialer was using 3G (even if 3G was off) every 30 seconds or so, and I hypothesised it may be to do with the Dialer Storage attempting to update itself.

But I'm also using 'Battery History for Gingerbread' and can definitely see sensor usage tying up the Dialer.

I'm noticing that part of the Dialer process is something called 'Field Test' - not sure what this is but uninstalling it doesn't fix the issue.

I'm wondering if this is to do with all HTC Dialers, or all Dialers in general. The thing is, if it was affecting everyone I would expect many, many more threads about this issue. But perhaps it's affecting everyone anyway, but no one notices because stock roms don't have good battery management. If we use custom roms which have better battery lives, we can more easily see if something is using it all up.

This is not going to change anything in the slightest, I'm sure, but I've filed a bug report straight to the Android team. The link is here: http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=17383

mjehan

Dec 6, 2010
Erlangen
I called them up on Friday evening and the representative confirmed these issues and told me a fix would be provided in the future.

Regarding who is to blame for this : HTC or Gingerbread there he didn't comment on it.

Reactions: joriq

joriq

Aug 11, 2009
Podgorica
I called them up on Friday evening and the representative confirmed these issues and told me a fix would be provided in the future.

Regarding who is to blame for this : HTC or Gingerbread there he didn't comment on it.

i just hope we will not be forced to wait a billion years for the update (and my gut feeling tells me that we will)

goatmasterau

Apr 16, 2009
Hi all,

After the GB update was released, I was hesitant to update because my DHD along with JuiceDefender was lasting for at least 2 days, and I use it quite a lot taking phone calls and browsing the internet on it.

Literally on Saturday I could not wait any longer, I decided to update to 2.3 and hope that the battery life issue that was discussed in some forums was just paranoid users.

I was completely wrong. Now my phone does not last even one day, and this is with only a few minutes of talking and some SMS. It's not good any more :(

This morning, after charging it to 100%, I left for work. On the train, my phone is still 100%, and the 'dialer' is using only 6% of the battery.

Then I got a text message from my girl, but I was tired and I put the phone back in my pocket. When I got to work, sat at my desk, looked at my phone and it's down to 80%, I look at the battery usage, dialer is on 40%.

I did not make or receive a phone call, ONLY a SMS message.

I hope HTC or someone can figure this out. Since the update, my phone is now crippled and is essentially completely dependent on a daily charge now which just sucks because on 2.2 it was nothing like it.

goatmasterau

Apr 16, 2009
OK.

After changing a few settings, my dialer process is now sitting on 12% battery usage and not going any higher.

Seems to be staying like this after phone calls and texts have been made, but I only changed this last night and I have still yet to see how good the battery life is, but honestly, it looks better already at this point.

Instructions are as follows:

In the Android settings, under Sound, change your current profile to "Normal"

Then in that same screen, under the Incoming Calls section, un-tick the following:

* Quiet ring on pickup
* Pocket Mode
* Flip for Speaker

Those above options are obviously related to the sensor in the phone and it has definitely lowered the battery usage for the dialer process.

This is obviously a work-around and not a fix to the issue itself, of which I emailed HTC and received the awesome reply telling me to turn off wifi, gprs, screen brightness, etc, all the stuff to make it seem like I am an idiot, even after explaining to them that this ONLY happened after the 2.3 update.

Anyhow, give it a try and report your results here so we can confirm if this is a workaround for everyone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Splaktar

goatmasterau

Apr 16, 2009
I am not quite sure I have all of those settings on my stock ROM 2.3.3 Desire HD?! :-/

Hmm, that's a little odd. Can you double check? Should be under the Sound menu in the Android settings.

My phone is from Three in Australia, and I applied the 2.3 update that was released by HTC using the system software update. I have not applied any custom rom or firmware or anything else to my phone, it's completely stock except the update to 2.3 released by HTC over the system update.

Reactions: joriq

joriq

Aug 11, 2009
Podgorica
my mistake :) The battery was dead at the time of writing the post, and I did not remember seeing those options, but I took a look this morning and they indeed are there. I might give it a try to see if anything changes (although my dialer is already at ~12% usually).

lux7

Jul 6, 2011
HTC Wildfire, simply ludicrous this issue for me.

I had charged yesterday before sleeping and was now around 80% of battery, with most of the juice taken by Phone Idle and then around the same percentage of 25% by cell standby, and WI-FI.

Then, I tried to make a call (or better: I didn't call anyone, just punched in a nonexistent number, pressed call and then aborted just after a few seconds).
Important to note that: I had already deactivated all the options suggested to deactivate (mute when turned face down, higher when in pocket and the third one that I don't remember).

Curious, I waited a little, less than minute, and then checked the battery usage.
Dials was already at 4%. I clicked on the "dials" entry, went back to the main usage screen and it was already at 5%.

I rebooted, went to check again and it had soared at 7%!!
Now, after something like 5 minutes after the reboot I rechecked again and was still at 7%.
7% for 25 seconds of usage against 16h and 40 minutes of battery!!
That's just unacceptable!
OK that for some of us the last thing in a smartphone is the real phone, as most of the time I will use Skype and Internet, but still!

In my case I would say: the battery usage from the "dial issue" is unacceptably high. Deactivating the aforementioned options was not enough for me and a reboot seemed of having done the trick.
Obviously, though, the situation is not good as I guess most of us don't wanna reboot after every call!!

Last edited:

Splaktar

Aug 10, 2010
Melbourne, FL
Instructions are as follows:

In the Android settings, under Sound, change your current profile to "Normal"

Then in that same screen, under the Incoming Calls section, un-tick the following:

* Quiet ring on pickup
* Pocket Mode
* Flip for Speaker

Those above options are obviously related to the sensor in the phone and it has definitely lowered the battery usage for the dialer process.

So far this seems to be working for me. Now I've got my phone idle and wifi taking up the most battery other than the display. This is more in line with what I'd expect and the Dialer isn't even in the top 10 anymore. This is only after 2 days of usage with these settings, but it seems to help so far.

Thanks!

Splaktar

Aug 10, 2010
Melbourne, FL
Well, that fix didn't solve my problems 100%. It 'might' be helping. But I'm still seeing the Dialer process use a ton of battery and almost no CPU. The only way that I'm able to deal with it atm is by rebooting whenever I notice that the Dialer is out of control, but by then most of my battery is drained. I'm not getting more then 4 hours of battery life most of the time.

samseed101

Jun 30, 2008
I'm a bit surprised that nobosy has figured out how to solve this problem. I've seen it on 4 different gb roms now (including stock) and it's out of control.

I have tested this over the past week or so with different roms. I charge the battery up to 100%, reboot the phone, make a quick phone call, then leave the phone on the nightstand overnight. By morning I'm looking at 35% battery.

However, if I do that, but then immediately reboot again after making the call, the "dialer" is not displayed on the battery usage and my battery sits at or around 85 - 90 percent.

I have had this problem using MikG2.2, Fresh 4.2, Stock, and CM7.1. This is definitely not an error in reporting battery usage and it's not something else running or causing this. This directly involves the dialer and making / receiving telephone calls. And this needs to be fixed!

zelendel

Aug 11, 2008
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 9
samseed101 said:
I'm a bit surprised that nobosy has figured out how to solve this problem. I've seen it on 4 different gb roms now (including stock) and it's out of control.

I have tested this over the past week or so with different roms. I charge the battery up to 100%, reboot the phone, make a quick phone call, then leave the phone on the nightstand overnight. By morning I'm looking at 35% battery.

However, if I do that, but then immediately reboot again after making the call, the "dialer" is not displayed on the battery usage and my battery sits at or around 85 - 90 percent.

I have had this problem using MikG2.2, Fresh 4.2, Stock, and CM7.1. This is definitely not an error in reporting battery usage and it's not something else running or causing this. This directly involves the dialer and making / receiving telephone calls. And this needs to be fixed!

When you say you tried it on other GB roms was one of them a CM based rom? Could be its the Sense dialer that has the issue. As for fixing it well that would take HTC to do as the dialer is not the Android GB dialer but their own. I don't have this issue on the Phoenix rom at all

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi everyone
    Dialer uses much battery, because it's using the sensors all the time (even with screen off/standby).

You can check that for example in "Battery History for GB" app (you'll find it on xda...)

I wrote some posts about this issue on the ARHD thread in DHD Development (just search for "Dialer" on the thread).
    So far no one has a solution... so I guess it's a bug HTC build in... :/

If any one has a solution or a fix please post it :D

EDIT:

So it could be a bug that we see that the phone uses too much and we blame the new radio?

I tried 3 different radios... I had that problem with each one of them.
    So, the problem is the official 2.3.3 not the new radio?

Btw, also with dialer voice at 30% of consume, i have 28% of battery available now and the last unplugged was 1g and 15 hours ago, with medium use,.

Whit the 2.2.1 with the same use, my best was 1g and 6h.

Seems like it's a problem with the official release.
    If you google the issue you'll find people with other phones solving the issue by setting the "Turn to mute" feature to off...
    Problem with this: We don't have that setting :/

For me Dialer doubles the standby battery use... so battery life is good, but could be much better.
    Man 4 days.. how did you do that?
    - 2 minutes of calls
    - 15 minutes of calls via Skype
    - about 10 received SMS messages
    - about 30 minutes of web browsing via 3G/HSDPA
    - few app actualizations

well, he/she is a popular guy/gal. out of 4 days, he got into conversation on the phone only 27 minutes. 10 sms within 4 days and spend abt 30 mins browsing the internet, the rest of the 4 days, the phone..... sleep....

i'm jealous, man!
    Hi, long time lurker first time poster.

This issue has been killing me. It's definitely a Gingerbread thing. I've looked around and putting together bits of what people have been saying, the issue is with Dialer Storage. After receiving and ending an incoming call, sometimes, the Dialer Storage gets stuck in a wakelock (??) and constantly eats the battery. I'm told the issue is temporarily alleviated by killing the Dialer and Dialer storage directly. They close and immediately restart, but it fixes it.

It's also not just the Desire HD, it seems to be an all-around Gingerbread thing. Here's a link to a discussion on the CM forums:
    http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/topic/5723-battery-life-being-killed-by-dialer/page__st__40

Here's a link to another post on xda:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1077137

Another:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=929228

Here's a link to a bug ticket raised by users on the Nexus One:
    http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=15057

I can confirm it's happening on CoreDroid 5.4, 6.1, 6.2, 6.3 and 6.5 myself (all of the above are GB-based), and others claim it affects Stock and CM 7.0.x. It's happening on my DHD but it's affected the Nexus One, Nexus One S and Motorolla Droid based on a 2 minute google search.

1. Is there an app or a widget which we can configure to kill Dialer and Dialer Storage (aka system/bin/rild) with one click to make it easier? This saves us from having to kill them manually each time, which is time consuming.

2. Is there a way to stop this from happening, or a service that boots the Dialer if it's locked, or anything similar?

And as an aside, what are some good, high quality and fast DHD Roms that are Froyo-based, to test if it's actually GB?

Edit: More links:
    http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/topic/5723-battery-life-being-killed-by-dialer/page__st__40 - another discussion on CM forums
    http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blade-blade-modaco-com/328933/battery-consumption-and-dialer/ - discussion on Modaco forums
    Just add the widget to your homescreen, it should show the current drain in Ma. If it doesnt, open the program itself, settings and set the widget to show it.