can u make one with this background:

ewjetalt.jpg

Nice idea doom!

arkedk

Sep 13, 2010
Copenhagen
ASUS ZenFone 8
agreed...

i actually really like that green one...

anyways...

u guys decide which u want...

for now i am using this one personally:

reptile64%252520-%252520Boot%252520screen%25252088.jpg

;)

How do you implement those?
Do you have to re-compile the kernel, or is it just a matter of repacking the boot.img or kernel.img? If so where is it stored?

And what are the properties that needs to be met in the boot image.
png, raw bitmap, jpeg, color settings 8bit, 16bit, 24 bit?

I'm a graphic designer so would love to know that, so I could customize my own boot image.

I've created some animated boot images (the one that comes after the kernel boot image) but those are easy to make.

colossus

Retired Senior Moderator
Aug 28, 2009
Hey Liam,

Your designs are awsome buddy, thankyou for finding the time to share, i like the gingerbread themed one personally but both are equally cool.;)

liamb2001

May 23, 2009
yeah i would like to know this as well, id quite like to make some of the text pulsate brighter for the boot screen as well if possible

Do you have to re-compile the kernel, or is it just a matter of repacking the boot.img or kernel.img? If so where is it stored?

I'm a graphic designer so would love to know that, so I could customize my own boot image.

I've created some animated boot images (the one that comes after the kernel boot image) but those are easy to make.

liamb2001

May 23, 2009
cheers man, i wouldnt have done it if it wasnt such a great rom, usually i find they hammer the battery or have annoying little bugs...i thought id make a good boot screen bcos i know its missing one at the moment and im pretty sure ill be sticking with this rom for a while now..its my thanks for developing it :)

Buddy, you have for sure a huge talent!

DooMLoRD

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 27, 2010
Pune

yeah i would like to know this as well, id quite like to make some of the text pulsate brighter for the boot screen as well if possible

ok so this is wht need to be done:

1. unpack/dump boot.img
  2. u will get (raw) kernel & ramdisk.gz
  3. dump ramdisk.gz u will get cpio ramdisk
  4. dump cpio ramdisk u will get all CORE ramdisk files
  5. for bootlogo/bootscreen the file we need to change/add is a file called logo.rle OR initlogo.rle
  6. once u have the .rle file placed in CORE ramdisk files then repack ramdisk to ramdisk.gz (with cpio, correct permissions... followed by gziping them)
  7. once ramdisk.gz is ready use that one and (raw) kernel and pack it into boot.img
  8. done!

on how to modify rle files well thats another story ;)

BTW u need lots of tools/binaries for this to work (currently)...

Chumby_666 (aka aZuZu) is working on implementing all this, including custom bootscreen/bootlogo selection (and conversion) in his new tool...

he will release it when its ready... PLEASE DONT BUG HIM!!!! [or me ;) ]

P.S.:
this is where aZuZu keeps/posts his tools/apps: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1090217
so i would suggest u guys keep watching that thread for updates/etc...
DONT FORGET TO THANK HIM IF U USE HIS TOOLS/APPS!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: arkedk

arkedk

Sep 13, 2010
Copenhagen
ASUS ZenFone 8
ok so this is wht need to be done:

1. unpack/dump boot.img
  2. u will get (raw) kernel & ramdisk.gz
  3. dump ramdisk.gz u will get cpio ramdisk
  4. dump cpio ramdisk u will get all CORE ramdisk files
  5. for bootlogo/bootscreen the file we need to change/add is a file called logo.rle OR initlogo.rle
  6. once u have the .rle file placed in CORE ramdisk files then repack ramdisk to ramdisk.gz (with cpio, correct permissions... followed by gziping them)
  7. once ramdisk.gz is ready use that one and (raw) kernel and pack it into boot.img
  8. done!

on how to modify rle files well thats another story ;)

BTW u need lots of tools/binaries for this to work (currently)...

Chumbby_666 (aka aZuZu) is working on implementing all this, including custom bootscreen/bootlogo selection (and conversion) in his new tool...

he will release it when its ready... PLEASE DONT BUG HIM!!!! [or me ;) ]

Really valuable information this.
That was nice to know. I'll start reading up on rle's and start making my own bootlogos.

Big thanks for the reply!

EDIT:
Found a nice cross-platform program that can take png input and make it into a raw 2565 format.

The site is in German, and explains a good deal.
http://www.ccc-mannheim.de/wiki/G1#Customizing_des_BootLogos

Last edited:

DooMLoRD

Jul 27, 2010
Pune
Really valuable information this.
That was nice to know. I'll start reading up on rle's and start making my own bootlogos.

Big thanks for the reply!

ya that exact info is hard to come by ;) i was hunting for that for some time..

there are lots of specification available for rle file... there are various threads at XDA itself...

if u want i can send u the conversion tools... but they are all command line tools ...

i would recommend that u wait for aZuZu to make a nice GUI for them in his app...

arkedk

Sep 13, 2010
Copenhagen
ASUS ZenFone 8
ya that exact info is hard to come by ;) i was hunting for that for some time..

there are lots of specification available for rle file... there are various threads at XDA itself...

if u want i can send u the conversion tools... but they are all command line tools ...

i would recommend that u wait for aZuZu to make a nice GUI for them in his app...

Well I'm used to doing cmds. I'm on Linux :)

So would be cool if you could send it my way.

DooMLoRD

Jul 27, 2010
Pune
Well I'm used to doing cmds. I'm on Linux :)

So would be cool if you could send it my way.

u need
  1. 5652rgb
  2. to565

source are available online...

the only issue is they require RAW image format... if u know how to convert them to png/jpg/etc & viceversa then u got it!

i was thinking of posting a HOW-TO for this... but then i thought that instead of posting 10 binaries i will wait for aZuZu to complete his app...

then it will be easier for all

Top Liked Posts