[Q] Recommended apps for the Charge?

Search This thread

TheVrolok

Jun 25, 2011
I've taken a peak at some of the recommended apps threads in the other phone subforums and some look solid, some are a few months old, etc. While I imagine most apps aren't especially phone specific as long as they're running the same OS, I would guess that some still are (eg, Netflix).

Was hoping to see what you guys recommended as common replacements for the stock apps and any must haves?

I've already replaced my default browser with Dolphin HD, looking to replace the email client (with K9 perhaps? Just saw the name tossed around in a few threads), Launcher, SMS (SMS Pro?), Dialer (Dial One?), etc.

I've also installed the free version of Titanium Backup (I hear the paid is worth it and will most likely purchase). I've also ready Root Explorer is worth it?

Last edited:

type_2

Jun 20, 2011
California
I have launcher Pro as my launcher.
Handscent SMS was the first alternative I've used and I love it.
Titanium Backup is worth the money.
XDA app of course :p

Personally, I use Pulse to get my RSS feeds. I have a slingbox so Slingplayer is a must for me. And finally I use swiftkey as my keyboard.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: TheVrolok

TheVrolok

Jun 25, 2011

Personally, I use Pulse to get my RSS feeds. I have a slingbox so Slingplayer is a must for me. And finally I use swiftkey as my keyboard.

Hope that helps.

Sure does, any direction helps for a noob.

Launcher Pro is the next thing I'm going to try. I bought Titanium Backup and it's wonderful. I am also using K9, Dolphin HD, and GO SMS (seems like it used to be inferior to Handcent, but now seems nearly identical and I just happened to DL it first). After my launcher replacement, I might see what options are around for audio/video.

boostedjti

Dec 26, 2010
Adw ex for me.

Also screen filter is a wonderful edition. If you've ever used this phone in a dark room with brightness down and your eyes hurt, this will fix that.

chiahead52

Jun 12, 2011
I am using vital player for video playing
quickpic for photo viewing
opera mini for web browsing(I like the tabbed browser and forced mobile view)
poweramp for playing music

most of the other stuff I use is stock things already in the phone or rom

TheVrolok

Jun 25, 2011
Hmm.. Trying to decided between ADW Ex and LP+ now, it's tough to find true comparisons of the two because all the threads I seem to find are outdated by a few months, and in that time the apps have changed.

G

GuestK00231

Hmm.. Trying to decided between ADW Ex and LP+ now, it's tough to find true comparisons of the two because all the threads I seem to find are outdated by a few months, and in that time the apps have changed.

I go back and forth between the two. Essentially when I wipe a rom for something new, I alternate..

they each have a few things the other doesnt that make them slightly different enough to not be one better than the other...they are both awesome and it is personal preference...

TheVrolok

Jun 25, 2011
I go back and forth between the two. Essentially when I wipe a rom for something new, I alternate..

they each have a few things the other doesnt that make them slightly different enough to not be one better than the other...they are both awesome and it is personal preference...

Yeah, that's really how it seems. I think I need to just pick one and run with it. :)

blarrick

Jun 26, 2011
North Hollywood
NoLED: A great app seeing as this phone doesn't have an LED indicator

Visidon Applock: Neat app that allows you to select and lock individual apps so when someone attempts to open a locked one it uses the front-facing camera to detect if it's your face or not, if it isn't your face it will ask for the secondary password just in case, neat app :]

those are really the only 2 cool specific apps i could think of

TheVrolok

Jun 25, 2011
Just something I read from some reviews scattered across the market/forums, but those weren't necessarily on the Charge. I may have to DL it and give it a try to see. If it doesn't eat battery, it'd be pretty awesome.

KarateExplosion6

Jun 21, 2010
New Jersey
I'd give you a yes or no on the battery life but I've had it since the day I got my Charge so I couldn't tell ya

I'm liking NoLED, but I've got some issues.

1. If I run through NoLED Settings > Advance and select "Disable Backlight." It'll disable the LED backlighting for my menu keys when displaying notifications (which I want) BUT once I unlock the phone to check the notifications, the backlighting doesn't turn on. This is a ***** if I'm in a dark room (and I'm frequently checking my phone from bed, since I'm a raving insomniac).

2. I can't figure out how to get NoLED to just wake up after I hit the Power button. That's what I want, I want the app to mimic the stock state, where I push Power and my (notifications are dismissed) and my screen pops on. I don't want the menu buttons to wake my phone. The way I have it set now, the menu buttons don't wake my phone UNLESS NoLED is displaying notifications.

Any tips? Just got my Charge on Wednesday night.

DigitalOp

Jun 24, 2011
Anybody know a good flashlight app that will turn on the flash LED on the back of the charge?, I bet its really powerful.

letsgophillyingeneral

May 26, 2011
Home Launchers: I've used LauncherPro, ADW, OpenHome, Win7mobile, Go Launcher EX and more. I used to love ADW, then switched to LauncherPro before finally realizing that Go Launcher EX was a complete ripoff of LauncherPro but also included awesome features from ADW. More importantly, Go Launcher EX is FREE!. I've been using Go Launcher on my phones and Nook Color for months, love it. Plus, the Go Launcher widgets are pretty sweet if you're into having tons of widgets.

Games - Game Dev Story, Hot Springs Story, Grand Prix Story, Zombie Defense HD, Battleheart, Worms, The Settlers HD, Super K.O. Boxing 2, Age of Zombies..

Apps - Aptoide, Dropbox

Tools - Absolute System Tools, Astro, No Frills CPU, NoLED (must have for Charge owners), Quick Boot, Startup Auditor, Titanium Backup, Chainfire 3D, Voltage Control

I use Widgetsoid for custom power control widgets. It's free.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Home Launchers: I've used LauncherPro, ADW, OpenHome, Win7mobile, Go Launcher EX and more. I used to love ADW, then switched to LauncherPro before finally realizing that Go Launcher EX was a complete ripoff of LauncherPro but also included awesome features from ADW. More importantly, Go Launcher EX is FREE!. I've been using Go Launcher on my phones and Nook Color for months, love it. Plus, the Go Launcher widgets are pretty sweet if you're into having tons of widgets.

Games - Game Dev Story, Hot Springs Story, Grand Prix Story, Zombie Defense HD, Battleheart, Worms, The Settlers HD, Super K.O. Boxing 2, Age of Zombies..

Apps - Aptoide, Dropbox

Tools - Absolute System Tools, Astro, No Frills CPU, NoLED (must have for Charge owners), Quick Boot, Startup Auditor, Titanium Backup, Chainfire 3D, Voltage Control

I use Widgetsoid for custom power control widgets. It's free.

Hope that helps.
    I am liking go launcher ex right now..not sure why but I like the customizable icons better on it