Locked Bootloader rooted with 3.1

Search This thread

JeffR714

Mar 25, 2010
Philadelphia Pa
Thanks a million! Sold My Xoom and picked up a 32 GB Grey (With an unlock) and sweated for 3 hrs till I came along to your post. All I can say is that I followed to the letter and its done Thanks

nakedninja42

Oct 28, 2009
Bay Area, CA
EDIT: Ignore this, there was something wrong with my USB port. It worked fine after restarting my laptop

I had to exchange my tab and i'm trying to root on my new tab and getting an error on the first step in Odin. I tried with both USB debugging disabled and enabled, but still same. Anyone know why I get this error?

<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> PDA_SIGNED_P7105.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/007> Odin v.3 engine (ID:7)..
<ID:0/007> File analysis..
<ID:0/007> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/007> Can't open the serial(COM) port.

<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

Two things, are you in download mode or still powered on when you are trying? Flashing with ODIN requires to be in download mode.

Second, are you plugged straight into the computer or using a hub? Always plug directly into a USB port on the motherboard if you are getting issues.

Reactions: FordTaurus

IDroidThere4Iam

Sep 25, 2010
you would have to boot the tab up to check if the bootloader is unlocked
at the moment it doesn't matter as we can get root on both the unlocked and locked bootloaders
you only need a unlocked bootloader for flashing new kernals and at the moment we dont have any
the guys got root access in only a few days im sure they will work out how to crack the bootloader soon enough

Just for clarification, the locked bootloader does not prevent you from installing custom kernels. I currently have a locked, 16GB white retail, rooted, CWM installed, with the custom OC kernel from pershoot and I'm using setCPU to configure it. Locked or unlocked we all should be good.

torremitsu

Oct 24, 2007
Colorado
Returning to stock

I'm going back to BB to return this and see if I can get lucky enough to get a unlocked one. How do we Unroot?

IDroidThere4Iam

Sep 25, 2010
Last edited:

sdotA85

Jun 7, 2010
Thank you very much! It worked like charm...no errors or hiccups aside form the aforementioned force closes. You Rock!

fr0z3n

Jan 1, 2008
Toronto
hmm, i cant seem to download rom manager, i keep getting force close errors, even after changing the keyboard.

brie987

Rooting my device from here is the only thing I have changed/done to my GT10.1retail so I think this may have something to do with what I am experiencing at the moment. All went well with the rooting process but now I seem to have occasional screen lockups. When this happens I have to either rotate the screen or turn the screen off then on to get the touch screen to work again. Now this is NOT a screen FREEZE as I am able to get the rotate to work its just the touch does not activate any buttons or swypes wont register but like I said above once I rotate the screen all is back to normal. Anyone else having this issue? Apps that seem most affected
-gReader
-Maxthon browser

other apps as well but these two are the worst.

GT10.1 32 grey retail unlocked bootloader (shipped unlocked)

Thanks.

jman391

Mar 19, 2010
This is awesome dude! Great work! After I failed to root using shep211's root and backup I lost all hope, but then I saw this post I saw the light again!

jman391

Mar 19, 2010
So, if you have the locked bootloader, you can ROOT but not flash custom kernels/roms etc?
I was able to flash the kernel that pershoot posted and I'm able to OC to 1.4 Ghz. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think as long as you have a custom recovery you can flash anything.

Live2Follow

May 24, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I just wanted to make a note that I tried doing this with a Windows Mac Bootcamp. Odin stalled on me. I think it may be a bootcamp issue. I attached the tablet to my girlfriends PC and this worked wonders. I have a retail 16GB (gray back).

PS - Thanks Riztnack for entertaining me on Gtalk.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have just installed 3.1 and have gotten root on my white 16gb retail verison, I will post instructions hopefully tonight.

*bootloader is still locked =/

Please Hit me up on Gtalk if you need anything at all. I am almost always available. Riztnack@gmail.com

Update*
    I found this work for me and these are the steps that I have taken.

First:
    Go to this link
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1119492

Follow the instructions there, once you reboot your tab you will get alot of FC, it is because of the stock android keyboard dictionary. You can curb the FC by switching the keyboard to Samsung keyboard.

Once this step is complete, download this
    Root exploit

Place in on the root of your SD card

Turn off your tab

-press and hold the power button
    -once the samsung galaxy 10.1 comes up push the volume down button
    -release the buttons, this will display two icons
    -push the volume down once to select the left icon, then press volume up to enter
    -this will load up the stock recovery
    -select the option to install update from SD card
    -install the root/SU file you just downloaded and put on your SD card
    -reboot into android

once rebooted, you should have root. but you still have a little bit of system instability.
    -download this
    http://droidbasement.com/galaxy/sys-backup/hc_31/hc-3.1_ota-full_sam_tab_10.1.zip
    -put it on the root of your SD card
    -download the free verison of rom manager
    -open it, select the top option, flash clockworkmod recovery, select samsung galaxy tab 10.1
    -you should now have CWM flashed

Turn off your tab

-press and hold the power button
    -once the samsung galaxy 10.1 comes up push the volume down button
    -release the buttons, this will display two icons
    -push the volume down once to select the left icon, then press volume up to enter
    -this will load up the clockwork recovery

*******DONT WIPE*******

-select the option to install update from SD card
    -install the hc-3.1_ota-full_sam_tab_10.1.zip

it will take a little while to install, give it a few.

-Reboot

it will take a while on the samsung screen, give it a few.

once the tab is booted back up, check the version. 3.1
    you can go back to using the stock android keyboard as well now.

You also might notice that you have lost root now.

Just reflash the root/su file that we did through the stock. reboot and you have a locked 3.1 with root tab =)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v643/Riztnack/IMG_20110619_225807.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v643/Riztnack/IMG_20110619_225737.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v643/Riztnack/IMG_20110619_225646.jpg

credit
    SS2006
    pershoot
    oxeneers
    more people I am sure! Thanks

If you like the research I did please donate to Riztnack@gmail.com through www.paypal.com
    Worked Perfect!

It took me 3 hours to get it rooted but worked perfect!
    You have to actually go through all the steps, I have a retail white 16GB from BestBuy.

I took a video while I did it:

THANKS, I've got a stable Tab 10.1 rooted!
    Worked perfectly on a 16 gb retail gray with locked boot loader.

I followed the instructions to the letter. For good measure, i then did a factory reset, followed by a re-root. Boot loader is still locked (as was expected) but considering the speed this was done in, I'm sure it's only a matter of time.

Looks like those two failed exchanges today looking for an unlocked tab were a big waste of time.

Only clarification I want to make is there is no need to check for the OTA (credit for this also to Riztnack)

Absolutely brilliant work.
    EDIT: Ignore this, there was something wrong with my USB port. It worked fine after restarting my laptop

I had to exchange my tab and i'm trying to root on my new tab and getting an error on the first step in Odin. I tried with both USB debugging disabled and enabled, but still same. Anyone know why I get this error?

<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
    <OSM> Please wait..
    <OSM> PDA_SIGNED_P7105.tar.md5 is valid.
    <OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
    <OSM> Leave CS..
    <ID:0/007> Odin v.3 engine (ID:7)..
    <ID:0/007> File analysis..
    <ID:0/007> SetupConnection..
    <ID:0/007> Can't open the serial(COM) port.

<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

Two things, are you in download mode or still powered on when you are trying? Flashing with ODIN requires to be in download mode.

Second, are you plugged straight into the computer or using a hub? Always plug directly into a USB port on the motherboard if you are getting issues.
    So, if you have the locked bootloader, you can ROOT but not flash custom kernels/roms etc?

I found this talking about Nexus One and explains locked bootloaders. I don't know if this is necessarily true for tablet but it should explain whats going on.

http://www.addictivetips.com/mobile...-bootloader-on-android-phones-complete-guide/