[mod]Boosting Signal Strength (hspa/gprs)

Search This thread

dotdevil

Feb 21, 2008
Queens NYC
Code:
ro.ril.enable.dtm=1
ro.ril.gprsclass=12
ro.ril.hep=1
ro.ril.enable.3g.prefix=1
ro.ril.hsdpa.category=14
ro.ril.hsupa.category=6
ro.ril.hsxpa=5

With these settings....... The signal works perfect for the first minute or so after a fresh boot......getting 2600 on the download meter..... Highest ive gotten.... Then after 2 or 3 more minutes.... Went from the best to worst ive ever had.....smh..... Why does it change??????....
Sent from my Dell Streak using XDA Premium App

dotdevil

Feb 21, 2008
Queens NYC
Code:
ro.ril.hsxpa=2
ro.ril.gprsclass=12
ro.ril.hep=1
ro.ril.enable.dtm=1
ro.ril.hsdpa.category=8
ro.ril.hsupa.category = 5
I retried the code on the original post...... And wow..... This code got me 2700 on the download....... Seems to bee holding up too...... Imma try back in a few to see if it maintain its speed.....

krazman325

Dec 10, 2010
Seriously..?? Not trying to offend? but yet you post in open forum that he sounds like a novice? Were you a novice once? Remember those days? Then lay off man, let the man do his thing and mind your own damn business. He's trying to help. Instead of busting on him, why not say thank you? What the hell is wrong with people these days...damn

Seriously???.....you get that pissed off over a post from 6 months ago?????

Everything being "discovered" in this thread was discovered and discussed 5-6 months ago. The bottom line is that in all likelihood, these changes do nothing and make your device very unstable! The OP, in an earlier thread, said they were removing it from their device due to the instability it causes.

If you want to re-discover the wheel, go ahead. You might try reading the entire thread before you proceed so you don't wind up posting a "HELP ME, MY STREAK IS BRICKED" post later!
kraz

djscopesofm

Nov 7, 2009
Merrylands
technofaq.org
Seriously???.....you get that pissed off over a post from 6 months ago?????

Everything being "discovered" in this thread was discovered and discussed 5-6 months ago. The bottom line is that in all likelihood, these changes do nothing and make your device very unstable! The OP, in an earlier thread, said they were removing it from their device due to the instability it causes.

If you want to re-discover the wheel, go ahead. You might try reading the entire thread before you proceed so you don't wind up posting a "HELP ME, MY STREAK IS BRICKED" post later!
kraz

I'm actually using this mod with SimpleStreak 1.2 and it works a treat.. it doesn't work with StreakDroid 1.6+, for some reason it clashes with something.

this is the script I use:

Code:
ro.ril.enable.dtm=1
ro.ril.gprsclass=12
ro.ril.hep=1
ro.ril.hsdpa.category=8
ro.ril.hsupa.category=6
ro.ril.hsxpa=5

Last edited:

Mark X

Mar 23, 2010
Well, Im guessing that performance will be based on particular carrier settings?

Anyways, I changed the gprs setting to "10". Had no reboots yet. Seems to be an improvement speed/connectivity wise.

EDIT: gprs and hsdpa seemingly work a charm, 3g is broken tho. Gonna change the 3g setting around.

Sent from my Dell Streak using XDA App

Last edited:

djscopesofm

Nov 7, 2009
Merrylands
technofaq.org
Well, Im guessing that performance will be based on particular carrier settings?

Anyways, I changed the gprs setting to "10". Had no reboots yet. Seems to be an improvement speed/connectivity wise.

EDIT: gprs and hsdpa seemingly work a charm, 3g is broken tho. Gonna change the 3g setting around.

where in aus r u from? I'm from inner west sydney on optus prepaid..

it would be cool if everyone can say what carrier they're using and what setting work for them or what changes they made that = to better or worse... also rom and baseband would help too

I'm gonna try changing gprs to 10 to see what happens..

CHEERS!

Last edited:

Mark X

Mar 23, 2010
where in aus r u from? I'm from inner west sydney on optus prepaid..

it would be cool if everyone can say what carrier they're using and what setting work for them or what changes they made that = to better or worse... also rom and baseband would help too

I'm gonna try changing gprs to 10 to see what happens..

CHEERS!

Brisbane. On Exetel (Optus). I've definitely had an improvement. Had hsdpa today whereas before I barely had gprs, though it hit 3g and seemingly stopped transferring data.

djscopesofm

Nov 7, 2009
Merrylands
technofaq.org
I think optus did something with their network coz when I 1st got my streak I didn't have any problems at all untill the end of the year.. now Im lucky to get a connection 50% of the time.. I'm even on the original baseband and still no change.. my wife is on optus prepaid but on a motorola defy and she has excellent reception with hspa 99% of the time.. its really strange

Mark X

Mar 23, 2010
I think optus did something with their network coz when I 1st got my streak I didn't have any problems at all untill the end of the year.. now Im lucky to get a connection 50% of the time.. I'm even on the original baseband and still no change.. my wife is on optus prepaid but on a motorola defy and she has excellent reception with hspa 99% of the time.. its really strange

Yeah, I think they have too. Oddly enough, I was getting similar results to how it used to be, with that script. I dont know, still testing.

nickshertzer

Dec 13, 2006
www.nickshertzer.com

Attachments

• CAP201106271826.jpg
    CAP201106271826.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 323

Mark X

Mar 23, 2010
Simple Streak 1.2 w/ perfmod nooc.

Optus (Exetel) Australia - Brisbane.

This is the script I use:

Code:
ro.ril.enable.dtm=1
ro.ril.gprsclass=10
ro.ril.hep=1
ro.ril.hsdpa.category=8
ro.ril.hsupa.category=6
ro.ril.hsxpa=5

Stable and a definite increase in connectivity. Speeds "appear" faster, though I cannot confirm this.

Last edited:

djscopesofm

Nov 7, 2009
Merrylands
technofaq.org
Simple Streak 1.2 w/ perfmod nooc.

Optus (Exetel) Australia - Brisbane.

This is the script I use:

Code:
ro.ril.enable.dtm=1
ro.ril.gprsclass=10
ro.ril.hep=1
ro.ril.hsdpa.category=8
ro.ril.hsupa.category=6
ro.ril.hsxpa=5

Stable and a definite increase in connectivity. Speeds "appear" faster, though I cannot confirm this.

I use the exact same script.. speeds are good.. though still having issues on keeping a connection for long periods

have u tried disabling hep & dtm?

Last edited:

Mark X

Mar 23, 2010
I use the exact same script.. speeds are good.. though still having issues on keeping a connection for long periods

have u tried disabling hep & dtm?

Ive actually not tried for an 'extended period'. I just know with this tweak, Im now getting 3g/hsdpa whereas before i barely had a gprs connection. Without doubt, its an improvement, and with 10 gprs its completely stable (for me).

djscopesofm

Nov 7, 2009
Merrylands
technofaq.org
did anone find out what hsxpa=5 is?, if anything it must be settings for some serious "4g" up/down speeds??

spent hours researching all the ro.ril. properties and I can truly say that going higher then hsxpa=2 is useless as when I change it to 3, 4 or 5 it makes no difference and in most cases made it worse.

I've realised that setting dtm to 0 lets u connect to HSxPA faster and increases ping.

hep set to 0 makes no noticeable change but I will leave it on 0.

Check the original post for all the changes. A lot of work went into this. If anyone has anymore info, I would greatly appreciate it.

It would also be great if every shared the script they use with which network.

borijess

Jul 30, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
spent hours researching all the ro.ril. properties and I can truly say that going higher then hsxpa=2 is useless as when I change it to 3, 4 or 5 it makes no difference and in most cases made it worse.

I've realised that setting dtm to 0 lets u connect to HSxPA faster and increases ping.

hep set to 0 makes no noticeable change but I will leave it on 0.

Check the original post for all the changes. A lot of work went into this. If anyone has anymore info, I would greatly appreciate it.

I used your settings from the first page and its working great definitly has speed up my DL speed and UL speed is consistant.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If anyone has anymore info on the ro.ril. properties, I would greatly appreciate it.

You'll need a rooted Streak and Root Explorer.

Add/edit these entries to "/system/build.prop" (you must mount to r/w and open with Text Editor). Make sure that these are not already in your build.prop, if they are, then just edit the values.

ro.ril.hsxpa=2 (higher values are invalid until proven otherwise)
    [0=UMTS] [1=HSPDA only] [2=HSPDA & HSUPA]

ro.ril.gprsclass=10 (Class 10 to save battery)
    The Streak supports Class 12 GPRS, set to 12 to increase EDGE speed

ro.ril.hep=1 (no info available, no change when turned off)

ro.ril.enable.dtm=1
    Enable "dual transfer mode" on EDGE networks; requires different GPRS class setting. Only set this to 1 if your network allows simultaneous transfer of Circuit switched (CS) voice and Packet switched (PS) data over the same radio channel (ARFCN).

ro.ril.hsdpa.category=8 (Cat 8 is the Streak's max)

ro.ril.hsupa.category=6 (Cat 6 is the Streak's max)

ro.ril.enable.a53=1 (enable increased ciphering on HSDPA/HSUPA)

ro.ril.enable.3g.prefix=1 (Adds the 3G prefix e.g. Optus 3G, etc.)

All Carries have their own specific settings they should use.

As Im using Optus Prepaid in Australia these are the setting I use. Lots of experimenting went into these and my 3G works better than ever. Best SpeedTest I've got was D2.98/U1.52 48ms ping on 4 bars, average is about D2.5/U1.0 80ms.

Code:
    ro.ril.enable.dtm=0
    ro.ril.gprsclass=10
    ro.ril.hep=0
    ro.ril.hsdpa.category=8
    ro.ril.hsupa.category=6
    ro.ril.hsxpa=2
    ro.ril.enable.a53=1

Thanks to nickshertzer here are the setting for AT&T
    How to Increase AT&T 3G Speed on Android

• Includes step by step to editing build.prop via ADB or Root Explorer.

NOTE
    After adding, save and remount to r/o. You might need to restart TWISE to get this completely working.

Happy Streaking =)

This will not increase the power of your antenna or increase radiation. All this does is choose the best profiles for EDGE/HSDPA/HSUPA. Its proven to increase speed and connection strength.
    Seriously..?? Not trying to offend? but yet you post in open forum that he sounds like a novice? Were you a novice once? Remember those days? Then lay off man, let the man do his thing and mind your own damn business. He's trying to help. Instead of busting on him, why not say thank you? What the hell is wrong with people these days...damn

it doesn't bother me... there's too many trolls on the net to care about ****. as long as people help out the troll just fade away :)
    guys, keep in mind, If you're on AT&T or others, I was digging through many files in my Streak. There are like a dozen Throttling.smali files, as well as in system/data/..somewhere there I found the throttling log created. Yes I deleted it and speeds increased. So even if you don't have a warning message, you may still be getting throttled. The carriers are sneaky.

Can u give us a step by step on where to find these?

No offense, but you sound like a novice at Android development. Where did you hear about this build.prop tweak? Do you work for a cell tower contractor? Seriously I'm not trying to offend you, just confused.

I did my own research on google for these tweaks. They seem legit. Go have a look ;)
    I did some additional testing with values and found some things that Amon_RA was doing with the Nexus One.

Currently on SimpleStreak 1.2 perfmod with 353 AMS

Code:
    ro.ril.enable.dtm=1
    ro.ril.gprsclass=12
    ro.ril.hep=1
    ro.ril.hsdpa.category=14
    ro.ril.hsupa.category=6
    ro.ril.hsxpa=5

Place that at the end of your build.prop and make sure there is a blank line at the very end. Reboot twice and test.

I went from 439kbps - 900kbps down / 1079kbps up without these settings to 2978kbps down / 1104kbps up

Your mileage may vary.