Resize button bar

Search This thread

arpruss

Jul 3, 2010
pruss.mobi
I wrote a little app to resize the button bar on the A43/A70/A101. I've only really tested it on the A43, though I did check that it changes the virtualkeys file for the A101 and the changes looked right.

I recommend that before trying it, you back up your /system/board_properties/virtualkeys.* file.

If someone wants to donate an icon to the project (BSD license) that would be welcome.

jony7

May 20, 2010
For A101 is working flawlessly, many thanks, BTW is it possible to get auto-hide bar? Cheers

arpruss

Jul 3, 2010
pruss.mobi
For A101 is working flawlessly, many thanks, BTW is it possible to get auto-hide bar? Cheers

I have no idea how to do auto-hide. One can edit packages.xml to disable the bar for particular apps, but then one has no way to get out of the apps, unless they were nice enough to provide an exit button.

My suggestion is that if you play a lot of games that the buttons intrude on, you just make the buttons very small.

arpruss

Jul 3, 2010
pruss.mobi
I added the ability to change the number, order and contents of the keys in the button bar. Unfortunately, only back/menu/home/search have button bar icons in the framework, so if you select other buttons, they will show up blank. But they should work, despite their blankness. To have fewer keys, just set some to None.

If you want to kill the button bar entirely, just set its width to zero (or else set all its entries to None).

Because of these features, the app is renamed ArchosButtons. But it's still here.

To return to the factory settings, choose "Defaults" and then "Set and reboot".

Reactions: jony7

msticninja

Mar 16, 2007
I added the ability to change the number, order and contents of the keys in the button bar. Unfortunately, only back/menu/home/search have button bar icons in the framework, so if you select other buttons, they will show up blank. But they should work, despite their blankness. To have fewer keys, just set some to None.

If you want to kill the button bar entirely, just set its width to zero (or else set all its entries to None).

Because of these features, the app is renamed ArchosButtons. But it's still here.

Nice work. I've removed it completely by deleting my init manually, but if I have to do it again, I'll probably use this.

arpruss

Jul 3, 2010
pruss.mobi
I'd like to get some more test reports from A70 and A101 users. Anybody? Here's a piece of encouragement: the first two people with each of these tablets to send me a report get a free copy of the paid version of Force2SD (just email me for your copy after posting).

buttonsv.png

Last edited:

lyapa

Mar 6, 2009
lyapa.jimdo.com
On mine A101 doesn't work :(, gives out an error - there Was an unexpected stop of appendix ArchosButtons (process mobi.pruss.archosbuttons). Repeat attempt.
Firmware 2.0.71
P.S. Sorry my bad English.

jony7

May 20, 2010

My A101 its working as described, great job:cool: Added vol. buttons on side bar which is in some cases would be very handy, just shame the buttons are blank but maybe you can do something with it in the future?;)

arpruss

Jul 3, 2010
pruss.mobi
On mine A101 doesn't work :(, gives out an error - there Was an unexpected stop of appendix ArchosButtons (process mobi.pruss.archosbuttons). Repeat attempt.
Firmware 2.0.71
P.S. Sorry my bad English.

Is the error message when you start the app, or at some later time?

Do you know how to use adb? If so, I can give you some stuff to diagnose this. Email me.

arpruss

Jul 3, 2010
pruss.mobi
My A101 its working as described, great job:cool: Added vol. buttons on side bar which is in some cases would be very handy, just shame the buttons are blank but maybe you can do something with it in the future?;)

Filling in these icons would require changing the framework. I don't really want to do that.

A nice mod for those of us who like ebooks would be to remap the hardware volume keys to up/down, and then to add volume buttons--might be nice to extend this app to support that.

Alas, on my A43, the buttons get a little smaller than I like when I add two more. On a tablet, I can see how it might be quite useful to add buttons.

sibere

Retired Recognized Developer
May 14, 2006
Paris
Well done!

Does this app resizes icons when they are moved to the status bar ? (I hate the archos side button bar)

thanks

fisha21

Nov 23, 2007
Thanks for posting this - nice work! Have just tried it on my A101, doesn't seem to resize or reorder the buttonbar icons.

Last edited:

arpruss

Jul 3, 2010
pruss.mobi
Actually, from my reading, it probably should be:
mount -o rw,remount /

Could you actually try that for me? Just start up an adb shell (or a terminal emulator), and do:
su
mount -o rw,remount /

Then immediately run my ButtonsForArchos.apk (current name: I decided ArchosButtons might have trademark issues).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I wrote a little app to resize the button bar on the A43/A70/A101. I've only really tested it on the A43, though I did check that it changes the virtualkeys file for the A101 and the changes looked right.

I recommend that before trying it, you back up your /system/board_properties/virtualkeys.* file.

If someone wants to donate an icon to the project (BSD license) that would be welcome.

Actually, from my reading, it probably should be:
    mount -o rw,remount /

Could you actually try that for me? Just start up an adb shell (or a terminal emulator), and do:
    su
    mount -o rw,remount /

Then immediately run my ButtonsForArchos.apk (current name: I decided ArchosButtons might have trademark issues).

I tried this, but the bar does not resize at all. Reboots to normal size - 41.
    Running Uruk 1.0
    Ah! The problem is that Polish locale uses commas, and so when ButtonsForArchos was writing decimal numbers, it had commas, but the OS couldn't understand that. Version 0.03 should fix it. Try it, please. It also has an option to restore the standard settings, in case Default doesn't work.

Z pozdrowieniami!