FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Replacing screen.

25 posts
Thanks Meter: 1

By snowplow54, Junior Member on 19th May 2011, 04:30 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I'm trying to replace the screen on my Arrive. But I can't figure out how to get the screen out. It looks like I can pop out the back behind it, but I can't figure out how it disassembles. is there a tutorial out there or something?

29th June 2011, 03:11 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
To replace the *glass*, which I'm assuming is what you mean (not the LCD - they're separate in this phone, for once!)

Follow the "replace HTC 7 Pro memory card" instructions to remove the first back piece. Next, remove the screws in the next plastic back and remove it as well (it'll be easier to remove as it's just screws and contacts - no clips or wires). At this point you should see an exposed PCB, and your phone's hinge (a set of springs).

Undo the 4 screws holding the hinges on, along with the two screws holding the "pop-up" bezel (there are access holes for them - it'll make sense once you get there).

Slide the hinges across the back of the display (like you were opening the phone, but pull by the hinges! otherwise you'll break the display cable) and you'll see two screws which hold covers onto the back of the display panel. Undo the one for the bottom panel and pry the plastic bottom panel off from the back to gain access to the touchscreen connector.

Next, take a heat gun to your display and pry the glass off - I hope your glass is shattered and that's why you're replacing it because otherwise this is hugely difficult - the glass is glued on and glued on tight!

You'll see the glass is attached via flex cable thru the plastic to a connector inside the back - this is why you had to take your whole phone apart! Carefully lift the tape covering the connector, flip up the connector, and remove the old touchscreen ribbon cable and chip. Thread the new one through and reverse steps to install.

I just used the remainder of the old glue to stick my new display on, by setting it under some heavy books overnight. Your mileage will probably vary - I'm not too picky and a slightly loose/mushy screen beats a shattered one for me so I just left it at that.

Otherwise you'll probably have to figure out how to glue the display glass back on properly.
29th June 2011, 08:47 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 15

More
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/htc-arrive...sassembly.html

Sent from my PG41200 using XDA Premium App
29th June 2011, 02:50 PM |#4  
Austin
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Generally, I would look for one of the teardowns that have become popular for when devices are first released.....sort of the one-upping of the unboxing video.
5th July 2011, 09:16 PM |#5  

More
I had trouble finding a decent disassembly - the "big" disassembly sites (ifixit etc.) seem to have ignored the Arrive and all I found on YouTube was horrid quality and mostly worthless.

That ppcgeeks thread is definitely the best resource for pics - I found that peeling the metal tape and unplugging the entire display/front piece was unnecessary by exercising some care to not break the ribbons, and I found that I needed to go a step further and remove the bottom (behind the buttons) plastic cover from the display piece to access the touch digitizer flex cable (which was behind some horribly obnoxious yellow tape).
20th March 2012, 05:58 AM |#6  
Flag So Cal

More
Replace Screen under digitizer
Does anyone have a walk through on how to change the actual screen under the digitizer? I took the whole phone apart, but everything on the screen half of the phone seems to be glued.

I figured i would look around before just prying it open.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
27th April 2012, 04:07 AM |#7  

More
Someone please post pics about last steps?

I was able to take hinges out of way but I am not sure if I need to peel off the metalic film. Hence I still have my top cover with glass attached with the back of the phone.

After I reach I have no idea what to do and now putting together my phone without changing broken glass!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)