[03/29/2008] PocketCM Keyboard 0.14 - "Free at last"

Search This thread

Olioaglio

Feb 9, 2007
Regensburg
I'm guessing your device has a hardware keyboard? It was by design, WM report a hw keyboard presend and in use, so I don't display the KB... but apparently the keyboard is reported as in use even in portrait mode.

Also that makes sense: PocketCM load the SIP by itself, the objective is that the SIP you choose in PCM will always be used in PCM without impacting other application. It should also allow people with trouble using pcm keyboard, to use it at least in PCM. And in a future release, your SIP choice will stay: if you choose the phonepad SIP, it will be used for any SMS, while your main SIP maybe something else.
´

tene,
yes, its a Hermes I use. Ok, so the "bug" is maybe meant as feature, but as you
already mentioned, the soft keyboard also stays off in portrait mode :eek: ,
so maybe its apparently some kind of bug. I noticed it first time in 0.13!
In earlier versions no problems detected. Maybe you could add some entry
for settings.ini like "Softkeyboard always on = 1" to let the user decide
wether to like it pop up or not. Just a suggestion...

Cheers, Olioaglio

Marshall07

Retired Recognized Developer
Jun 30, 2007
L'aquila
And I really don't like the spb full screen keyboard approach (editing outside the app, then pasting).

I agree.

Once, I was trying SPB full screen keyboard and after I typed a long SMS I confirmed the text. But before writing the text, I didn'd put the cursor on the SMS body and all the text was pasted to "nothing" and I had to write everything again from the beginning.

Marshall

nonpaq

Jun 8, 2007
NY

Actually, I wasnt endorsing Spb Full screen keyboard, rather I was admiring the idea of large keys in landscape mode for easier finger typing. My idea is to combine the large keys with Tene's "click and release". This would make a perfect fingerboard (when HW keyboard is not available).

Marshall07

Retired Recognized Developer
Jun 30, 2007
L'aquila
Actually, I wasnt endorsing Spb Full screen keyboard, rather I was admiring the idea of large keys in landscape mode for easier finger typing. My idea is to combine the large keys with Tene's "click and release". This would make a perfect fingerboard (when HW keyboard is not available).

Yes, I know. I was only expressing my opinion with SPB full screen keyboard.
Good luck with your landscape project. :cool:

Marshall

nonpaq

Jun 8, 2007
NY
Tene, I discovered a strange behavior in PCMKeyboard v.9 when testing extended layouts.

I added extra keys on line 1 of the skin I'm using (iphone_big) to see how the extra keys are laid out on the screen.

If you first select the keyboard in landscape mode, the extra keys display - [see screen cap 1].(note: My skin has an extrawide background image defined). The outer keys are fully functional.

When you switch to portrait mode, because the keyboard is centered, only the inner keys display, effectively masking the outermost "extra" keys [See screen cap 2]. With the proper layout, this would allow for providing extra keys in landscape that are hidden in portrait, without any mods to the application.

There is a problem however. If the first time you load up the keyboard is while in portait mode, the keyboard gets cropped when switching to landscape [see screen cap 3]. Looks like the width is set on first run, then cropped to the max allowed, and kept until another sip is chosen and switched back.

also....Is there any current setting that can control spacing beween any two keys? If so, it would be possible to create something like Screen Cap 4 by defining different witdths between specific keys.

Attachments

• screen1.jpg
    screen1.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 39
  • Screen2.jpg
    Screen2.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 29
  • Screen3.jpg
    Screen3.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 19
  • Screen4.jpg
    Screen4.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

tene

Jun 21, 2007
Brussels

there's is no such version, and if donation continues like they are, the chance to get the keyboard for free are less. (of course anyone that donate will not be forgotten...).

Asking for a version without limitation that doesn't exist in the developer's thread... I find kind of funny.

Olioaglio

Feb 9, 2007
Regensburg
´

tene,
yes, its a Hermes I use. Ok, so the "bug" is maybe meant as feature, but as you
already mentioned, the soft keyboard also stays off in portrait mode :eek: ,
so maybe its apparently some kind of bug. I noticed it first time in 0.13!
In earlier versions no problems detected. Maybe you could add some entry
for settings.ini like "Softkeyboard always on = 1" to let the user decide
wether to like it pop up or not. Just a suggestion...

Cheers, Olioaglio

Hey tene,

thanks for latest PocketCM 0.14. This solved the "Soft keyboard not coming up problem" definitely. Working perfect now!!

But......unfortunately still rema ining is the annoying problem with the s p a c e s between every letter which occurs in Opera native 8.6 (and other versions?) with so far all PCMkeyboard versions including recent 0.9b. This renders the use of theGREAT keyboard unusable with my favorite browser :(
Any way to fix it? It would bring my TyTN way closer to perfection ;)

Go on with your amazing apps!! You are the man!!

Best regards,
Olioaglio

tene

Jun 21, 2007
Brussels
Hey tene,

thanks for latest PocketCM 0.14. This solved the "Soft keyboard not coming up problem" definitely. Working perfect now!!

But......unfortunately still rema ining is the annoying problem with the s p a c e s between every letter which occurs in Opera native 8.6 (and other versions?) with so far all PCMkeyboard versions including recent 0.9b. This renders the use of theGREAT keyboard unusable with my favorite browser :(
Any way to fix it? It would bring my TyTN way closer to perfection ;)

Go on with your amazing apps!! You are the man!!

Best regards,
Olioaglio

Upate to opera 8.65 it works for me and others.

The FD

May 22, 2007
I have a wierd problem - if I add another line to layout 2 for numbers in the top row so it looks like this:-

keyboard_layout_1=qwertyuiop\nasdfghjkl'\n\2zxcvbnm\B\B\n\M\M .\4\N
keyboard_layout_2=1234567890\nQWERTYUIOP\nASDFGHJKL'\n\1ZXCVBNM\B\B\n\M\M .\5\N

When I use the skin 'Touch' (the black one) then it doesn't come up right. The bottom row of layout 2 is all white and not coloured right and the keys do not show up. Then if I switch between layout 1 and 2 there is often a line left where the numbers were from line 2 (I mean there is a gap through to my today screen)

Anyone else seen this or know what I mean. If I change skin then it seems to be ok but I prefer the black skin the best. I am using version 0.9b!

tene

Jun 21, 2007
Brussels
I have a wierd problem - if I add another line to layout 2 for numbers in the top row so it looks like this:-

keyboard_layout_1=qwertyuiop\nasdfghjkl'\n\2zxcvbnm\B\B\n\M\M .\4\N
keyboard_layout_2=1234567890\nQWERTYUIOP\nASDFGHJKL'\n\1ZXCVBNM\B\B\n\M\M .\5\N

When I use the skin 'Touch' (the black one) then it doesn't come up right. The bottom row of layout 2 is all white and not coloured right and the keys do not show up. Then if I switch between layout 1 and 2 there is often a line left where the numbers were from line 2 (I mean there is a gap through to my today screen)

Anyone else seen this or know what I mean. If I change skin then it seems to be ok but I prefer the black skin the best. I am using version 0.9b!

The touch skin is designed for 4 row layout. You should edit the skin and make the image height match the height of 5 layout (or more).

The FD

May 22, 2007
The touch skin is designed for 4 row layout. You should edit the skin and make the image height match the height of 5 layout (or more).

I am looking in the settings.ini file for the skin 'Touch'. How do I change the height?

The settings.ini has
bottom_border_margin=5
top_border_margin=5

Is this what I need to change? Sorry, trying to work it out! I have done searches here and at the PocketCM forums and couldn't find it!

tene

Jun 21, 2007
Brussels
I am looking in the settings.ini file for the skin 'Touch'. How do I change the height?

The settings.ini has
bottom_border_margin=5
top_border_margin=5

Is this what I need to change? Sorry, trying to work it out! I have done searches here and at the PocketCM forums and couldn't find it!

make the image height match the height of 5 layout (or more)... so you have to actually edit the bitmaps, it's not a setting.

The rational is simple: bigger image -> more memory. So I didn't make the skin support more row than required by provided layout.

The FD

May 22, 2007
make the image height match the height of 5 layout (or more)... so you have to actually edit the bitmaps, it's not a setting.

The rational is simple: bigger image -> more memory. So I didn't make the skin support more row than required by provided layout.
Ahhhhh.... Harder than I thought it would be and probably too much for my abilities! Thanks though! :)

I have suprised myself and been able to do it. Thanks again Tene!

Last edited:

curious george

Nov 9, 2006
Tene,

I have never asked, I have always just unistalled the old version and did a complete new install of the newest version. But is that necessary? Can i execute the new .cab and it overwrite the old one and still work?

Thanks,

CG

tene

Jun 21, 2007
Brussels
Tene,

I have never asked, I have always just unistalled the old version and did a complete new install of the newest version. But is that necessary? Can i execute the new .cab and it overwrite the old one and still work?

Thanks,

CG

It depends, generally if the SIP is already loaded (mean was used recently), it won't work as expected, I advice to always uninstall and reinstall.