***HOWTO: Internet Sharing over WiFi*** (Updated 08-Nov-2007)

Search This thread

fluxist

Jul 11, 2006
London
I have figured out how to use Internet Sharing over WiFi, which essentially makes my Hermes an Access Point.

Do the following:
1) Open Settings->Internet Sharing. Enable IS for Bluetooth PAN.
2) Change HKLM\Comm\ConnectionSharing\PrivateInterface to "TIACXWLN1" (for the Hermes). It should currently be "BTPAN1".
3) Open Settings-> Connections -> Wi-Fi. Select Network Adapters tab. Click IEEE 802.11b/g Compatible Wi-Fi.
4) Enter IP address 192.168.1.1 and subnet mask 255.255.255.0. Click OK.
5) Select Wireless tab. Add New.. to add the Network name for your ad-hoc network (I prefer "adhoc") :)
6) Set the client computer to use the same ad-hoc network. Client will receive an IP address from the device (don't need to manually set the IP).

And it works!

Interestingly, while IS was enabled, wifi stayed on and connected when the phone went to standby mode. Normally wifi turns off to save battery during standby. I imagine this will drain your battery in a hot minute, so bring your charger.

UPDATE (28-Oct-2007): Attached are some more beta releases of patched intshare.dll. I've created versions for most of the adapter names people have requested. By renaming this dll to intshare.dll and copying it to \Windows, Internet Sharing will use TIACXWLN1 (or whichever dll you use) when Bluetooth PAN is selected. I.e., if you use this, you will not need to make the registry changes above.

This will handle the registry part, but of course you'll still need to set up the ad-hoc network on your own.

UPDATE (03-Nov-2007): I've attached a beta version of the patched Internet Sharing app. It's in its own cab so it won't overwrite your existing IS. This app replaces Bluetooth PAN with 802.11b/g Wireless Ethernet. No registry hacking required. This app is well suited to replace the MS version on cooked ROMs.

If you use an adapter other than TIACXWLN1 then replace intshare.dll just as before.

UPDATE (08-Nov-2007): Attached is v 0.9.1 of the Internet Sharing Mod. This update addresses the 10 minute disconnect bug most people have experienced.

best,
fluxist

Attachments

• 71106-190003-05.jpg
    71106-190003-05.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 4,177
  • 71106-190019-09.jpg
    71106-190019-09.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 2,778
Last edited:
D

Deleted member 384713

This is the first thing I'll try when i'm at home again!
I can't believe this! Waiting for this since i got my Hermes. :) Thx for this development. This is the greatest effort since Hard-SPL and WM6 upgrade.
Now I can connect my XBOX360 to the Internet without starting my PC and sharing it over PC-LAN. USB-Charger is at the Front of the XBOX360.
I hope it will work.
You said the Max-Connections can be reworked. Does this mean it will support Ad-Hoc AND WLAN-Routing to many recepients too?

odessaranger

Aug 19, 2007
This worked for me too on a Kaiser/TYTN II

I'm doing some additional experimentation to see what exactly this can do - for instance to replace a bluetooth connection to a laptop with a wifi one?

fluxist

Jul 11, 2006
London
I'm doing some additional experimentation to see what exactly this can do - for instance to replace a bluetooth connection to a laptop with a wifi one?

not sure what you mean by replacing the connection. With ICS, obviously you cant share your connection over BT while sharing it over WIFI. and you can normally use wifi to connect to another computer by using an ad-hoc connection and manually entering a private ip on the same subnet for each computer.

boniestlawyer

Mar 15, 2007
this is awesome. worked perfectly for me.

After trying to stuff around with a proxy server for days and then you come along with something as simple as this....

famewolf

Jul 14, 2006
OnePlus 7 Pro
OnePlus Nord N200 5G
I'll admit..when I saw this my first thought was that this was another "How can I do internet sharing via wifi" and the title was just misleading..instead I find myself very impressed with your accomplishment. Very well done! As a "hack" untill you figure out how to mod the dll which I'm sure is only a matter of time now that you have pointed everyone in the right direction, you can export the registry key for both the Bluetooth adapter and the Wifi one and "import" whichever one you want to use at a given time...it's not pretty but it should work.

Some issues of concern would be that the AP is wide open and can be connected to by anyone with no password etc...the bluetooth pairing allowed some security but using the wifi doesn't have the same shared key protection...or am I missing something obvious?

I have figured out how to use Internet Sharing over WiFi, which essentially makes my Hermes an Access Point.

Do the following:
2) Change HKLM\Comm\ConnectionSharing\PrivateInterface to "TIACXWLN1" (it should currently be "BTPAN1").
3) Open Settings-> Connections -> Wi-Fi. Select Network Adapters tab. Click IEEE 802.11b/g Compatible Wi-Fi.
5) Select Wireless tab. Add New.. to add the Network name for your ad-hoc network (I prefer "adhoc" :)
6) Set the client computer to use the same ad-hoc network. Client will receive an IP address from the device (don't need to manually set the IP).

And it works!

When I used it I was only able to get one client to connect, however there is a reg value, HKLM\Comm\BTPAN1\Parms\MaxConnections that may help if it is changed from 1 to 2 (or whatever). But I haven't tried.

Interestingly, while IS was enabled, wifi stayed on and connected when the phone went to standby mode. Normally wifi turns off to save battery during standby. So that's a good thing, although I imagine this will drain your battery in a hot minute, so bring your charger.

I was going to release a patched intshare.dll so that the normal Internet Sharing utility can do this, but I'm having trouble changing the section addresses in the dll to the right values after I add data. If anyone knows how to do this PM me and I'll give you the details.

best,
fluxist

Last edited:

fluxist

Jul 11, 2006
London
thank you.

this work actually stemmed from my trying to share my phone's tethered connection with another client. by which i mean, my laptop is in a cafe online through my 8525 using Internet Sharing(IS) over usb. and i want to provide a connection, through wifi or ethernet, to my gfriends laptop. this actually isnt normally possible b/c WM IS and XP Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) both have 192.168.0.1 hard-coded as the gateway IP. so the phone uses that IP to give my laptop a connection, and my laptop tries to use the same IP with ICS. anyway, it fails because of this. i was able to get past that problem by going into Settings -> Wi-Fi -> Network Adapters -> Remote-NDIS and manually setting 192.168.1.1. This lead to the breakthrough with regards to wifi. prior to that id been trying all different ways to have the wifi adapter spoof the bt pan, however i could never get dhcp to assign an IP to the client. this is what it took.

and it's great that DHCP does in fact work here. it makes it dead easy for any arbitrary client to get online. just join the adhoc network as if it were an AP.

anyway, security-wise the ad-hoc network can use WEP or WPA, so security doesn't have to be a problem. the procedures for doing this are the same as normal.

and i haven't tried that reg key to enable multiple clients. but it looked like an obvious choice. i'll leave that as an exercise for the reader :)

fluxist

famewolf

Jul 14, 2006
OnePlus 7 Pro
OnePlus Nord N200 5G
I ran into same issue with XP internet sharing. Another workaround is to have a linux machine do NAT( since you can specify the IP used there) to whatever other clients you want and have it connected via bluetooth dun or bluetooth PAND (which is the solution I use to give internet to my replaytv and a couple of laptops in the house)...my edge connection is my main internet feed..a cacheing proxy such as wwoffle, squid of my personal preference "polipo" helps alot to when using gprs/edge etc since it helps with the latency.

thank you.

this work actually stemmed from my trying to share my phone's tethered connection with another client. by which i mean, my laptop is in a cafe online through my 8525 using Internet Sharing(IS) over usb. and i want to provide a connection, through wifi or ethernet, to my gfriends laptop. this actually isnt normally possible b/c WM IS and XP Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) both have 192.168.0.1 hard-coded as the gateway IP. so the phone uses that IP to give my laptop a connection, and my laptop tries to use the same IP with ICS. anyway, it fails because of this. i was able to get past that problem by going into Settings -> Wi-Fi -> Network Adapters -> Remote-NDIS and manually setting 192.168.1.1. This lead to the breakthrough with regards to wifi. prior to that id been trying all different ways to have the wifi adapter spoof the bt pan, however i could never get dhcp to assign an IP to the client. this is what it took.

and it's great that DHCP does in fact work here. it makes it dead easy for any arbitrary client to get online. just join the adhoc network as if it were an AP.

anyway, security-wise the ad-hoc network can use WEP or WPA, so security doesn't have to be a problem. the procedures for doing this are the same as normal.

and i haven't tried that reg key to enable multiple clients. but it looked like an obvious choice. i'll leave that as an exercise for the reader :)

fluxist

superflysocal

Jul 31, 2007
can someone elaborate what this is for, maybe give a sample scenario on using this?

Is this basically allowing a computer to use the internet connection of the pda phone (ie EVDO, 1RxTT, etc.) through wifi, instead of bluetooth or USB cable? (ie tethering?)

spacecat

Jul 15, 2006
can someone elaborate what this is for, maybe give a sample scenario on using this?

Is this basically allowing a computer to use the internet connection of the pda phone (ie EVDO, 1RxTT, etc.) through wifi, instead of bluetooth or USB cable? (ie tethering?)

thats what i wanna know , could i use my hsdpa connection via wifi to my psp?

D

Deleted member 384713

I'll do a tutorial when i'm at home again. Maybe somebody with know-how can make a cab-file v1.0 for this "WLAN-Modem hack".
This surely will be a great app.

fluxist

Jul 11, 2006
London
yes, your xbox and your psp should be able to connect just fine, as long as they support ad-hoc wireless (which i imagine they must). this hack will allow the phone to act like any normal wifi access point. the only difference is the client has to be seraching for ad-hoc networks in addition to normal APs.

the difficulty with creating a cab file at this point is that the registry setting is not persistent. that is, it must be set each time you enable IS. the setting is lost every time IS starts. this is why i am trying to patch the dll - so wifi will work as a normal, additional option in Internet Sharing (and hopefully this should be ready soon).

fluxist

indoe

Feb 15, 2006
when you say click "IEEE 802.11b/g Compatible Wi-Fi" do you mean the wifi network adapters in my case would be "tiacxwln compatible wireless ethernet"? im trying it on a 6700 WM5

neonstorm

Nov 18, 2006
Florida
I would LOVE to get this working on my TMO WM6 Wing, but I'm having issues:

Got it - except on my device it's Programs -> accessories -> IS

2) Change HKLM\Comm\ConnectionSharing\PrivateInterface to "TIACXWLN1" (it should currently be "BTPAN1").

Check - but is the T1ACXWLN1 device specific? If so, how can I find the interface ID on my device?

For me it's settings -> connections -> network cards, but I don't have an IEEE 802.11 listed. I connected to an existing AP, and found that my 'SDIO WLAN Wireless Adapter' does receive a DHCP address, so I tried changing it to 192.168.1.1...

5) Select Wireless tab. Add New.. to add the Network name for your ad-hoc network (I prefer "adhoc" :)

Found this and set up my WING-FI network. :)

The client PC connects to WING-FI, but never receives an IP address...

What could I be doing wrong? Is it the hardware ID in the registry? I've created the network with WPA, then after the connection problems, with no security - but still no change.

Thanks!!

Ryan

Last edited:

fluxist

Jul 11, 2006
London
I would LOVE to get this working on my TMO WM6 Wing, but I'm having issues...

Very likely the string TIACXWLN1 needs to be something different. Check HKLM\Software\WZCSV\Parameters\Interfaces\

There should be a key there with the name of your wireless adapter. It should end in "1".

And if not there, it should also be visible under HKLM\Comm\

Let us know how it works out.

EDIT: I just noticed you typed T1ACXWLN1. The string must be TIACXWLN1. That's "i" not one.

fluxist

Last edited:

Aonko

Dec 29, 2006
I own a PPC6700 as well and I was able to get it working no problem other than the fact that our wireless adapter is not the same as the one mentioned. The reg edit is the same it's just the first network adapter in the list when you create the network settings.

Last edited:

andrew_sh

Feb 22, 2005
yes, your xbox and your psp should be able to connect just fine, as long as they support ad-hoc wireless (which i imagine they must). this hack will allow the phone to act like any normal wifi access point. the only difference is the client has to be seraching for ad-hoc networks in addition to normal APs.

the difficulty with creating a cab file at this point is that the registry setting is not persistent. that is, it must be set each time you enable IS. the setting is lost every time IS starts. this is why i am trying to patch the dll - so wifi will work as a normal, additional option in Internet Sharing (and hopefully this should be ready soon).

fluxist

If you send me the dll I could look into it.
i have some experience with editing dlls.
good work man