flashing rom without reinstalling everything?

Search This thread

sirccchar

Jul 10, 2005
hi, i see many ppl here flashing their roms everytime an update comes out. my question is that are you guys reinstalling all programs and setting up all the settings everytime you flash the rom. or is there way to load all that to a newly flashed rom with sprite backup or sunny back with affecting the new rom settings itself. i recently instlaled nbd 9.1, but also want to try other roms, but hate the fact of reinstalling everything and inputting settings everytime i do this is a drag. anyone else doing this an easier way?.

Toodeep

Feb 10, 2007
I install most of my programs on a storage card. So there all there. But I have to move a shortcut the the phone.

Yes i redo all my settings. O well. only takes 5-10 mins.

mfrazzz

Sep 12, 2006
Falcon, Colorado
hi, i see many ppl here flashing their roms everytime an update comes out. my question is that are you guys reinstalling all programs and setting up all the settings everytime you flash the rom. or is there way to load all that to a newly flashed rom with sprite backup or sunny back with affecting the new rom settings itself. i recently instlaled nbd 9.1, but also want to try other roms, but hate the fact of reinstalling everything and inputting settings everytime i do this is a drag. anyone else doing this an easier way?.
When you flash, you wipe everything, so yes, you have to set everything up again. NEVER (and I mean NEVER) take a full backup with Sprite, Sunny, Spb backup, or similar and restore from one rom to another rom. You will cause all sorts of problems as you will be changing registry settings and more.

For me, I have a folder on my SD card called Setup Files. In there are cabs and .reg files I've created for everything I use. After I flash, I go to that folder and start running the apps. IF you want to get real adventurous, you can create your own extended rom to run stuff for you. There are also some tools for running cabs for you too, but for me, I have it down to a known pattern (and it can change with each rom depending what comes in the custom rom) so I just do it by hand. From the time I start the process of flashing to a new custom rom, to the point where my phone is back to where it was before, is about 1.5 hours (sometimes closer to an hour). Yeah, its a pain, but for me its worth it to be able to try out some of these roms (and if all I'm going to do is test a rom, I just do a full Sprite backup, flash the rom to test, then flash back to the original rom and then do a restore).

dharvey4651

Retired Senior Moderator
May 11, 2007
Olathe, Kansas
xdaforums.com

Unfortunately, yes you have to re-install everything and reconfigure all of your settings every time. The only shortcut to this would be to install programs to the storage card and create shortcuts to the programs in the start menu folder but even that takes about a minute per shortcut so you might as well just re-install them.

mfrazzz

Sep 12, 2006
Falcon, Colorado
Unfortunately, yes you have to re-install everything and reconfigure all of your settings every time. The only shortcut to this would be to install programs to the storage card and create shortcuts to the programs in the start menu folder but even that takes about a minute per shortcut so you might as well just re-install them.

One danger here. Some programs require registry settings to be present for them to work properly. Just creating a shortcut to point to an old install may not work for all programs (and can cause weird things to happen since registry entries are missing). Some programs see the registry entries aren't there and create default ones. But a lot don't.

dharvey4651

Retired Senior Moderator
May 11, 2007
Olathe, Kansas
xdaforums.com
One danger here. Some programs require registry settings to be present for them to work properly. Just creating a shortcut to point to an old install may not work for all programs (and can cause weird things to happen since registry entries are missing). Some programs see the registry entries aren't there and create default ones. But a lot don't.

Oh yeah that's a good point. I completely forgot about that. Well, that's why I always just re-install everything... lol