[ROM - 1.2] Flashback - Honeycomb 10.1 11/11/11 [G-TABLET\ZPAD T2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

tlbardelljr

Retired Recognized Developer
Dec 29, 2010
You and Roe have got to be the most humble people here. TBH most normal people don't start attacking anothers character just because of a few implications. They boycott. But I must be type B and a few of the hotheads are type A. Btw TL did your rom ever run on clemsyns kernel previously?

I think the first release had clemsyns, all was great but it didn't have the pc mount to work with Honeycomb.

xmr405o

Dec 31, 2008
I can fairly quickly analyze any ROM and find the differences and whats been changed. But, let me explain my view on "stealing".

I do not believe in an open source project there is such a thing as stealing. If that were the case then we are all running stolen versions of Honeycomb because the manufacturer never released a Honeycomb ROM.

The first thing that drove me to development on this project was the fact there was no PC mount. I dug through the Kernel, the framework and the libs and after a good week or so found that the systemui I was using had no mount references in it, but one of the ones I "stole" did. So I merged the two, recompiled and BAM! it worked. It was late so I posted the update and went to bed.

The next day I seen Roebeet on the Flashback thread asking how I got it to work. Unfortunately being at work I couldn't respond. After seeing his edits of trying different things I emailed him and told him to take the systemUI from Flashback. He emailed back that it didn't work. Turned out the systemui I "stole" was from Roebeet. In the case of BOS it was the kernel, but in the flashback kernel the gsensor wasnt working so Roebeet didn't want to lose that over the external mounts. I then told him I seen that people were flashing gingerbread kernels and it was working maybe pershoots would work. He tried it and BAM! fixed my gsensor and his mounts.

So to me all this "stealing" is really borrowing and sharing of ideas and accomplishments and moves development much faster.

So to answer your question, I don't need a changelog of github, my ark zip program and apktool work just fine. :) This is my personal opinion and I know that of others differ, I respect that. I work with the framework not the kernel and I am probably not the best to comment on kernel development.

I hope now we can move forward helping users with Issues. I count on the community help so I can keep plugging away at the 3.1 port.

I need another BAM! it works! LOL

Thanks and I hate to spam your thread with questions like that. I think you're a very personable dev unlike LBS. I mean I'm not a LBS detractor but it is what it is with him. Even if your ROM sucked balls, I would still respect you for what you do. Haha. But it doesn't so no issues there. :p

I'll let the devs police themselves because you guys are smart enough to know if you aren't getting the recognition from other devs. I mean, like you said...not all devs think the same way so if they have a problem with LBS, I'm sure they'd call him out themselves.

jph8tr

Oct 22, 2007
Just installed this rom today and all I can say is WOW! I tried to install Illuminate first, but it refused to install on my gtab (must be special?). I usually don't leave thank you posts, but seeing the attitude around here....THANK YOU for developing this release that breathes new life into my gtab. If this is what you can do in an alpha, I can't wait to see what a beta will bring!!!

raphenucleus

Aug 1, 2010
Dallas, TX
If this is what you can do in an alpha, I can't wait to see what a beta will bring!!!

I know, right? I don't think I ever even used the camera, so it's pretty much a beta for me. And the UI is so much better than it was in gingerbread or froyo. I mean, it would be great to get the camera working to have the option to video chat and stuff, but it's really not that essential since I always have my phone or laptop (which both have video chat and picture taking capabilities).

IllusiveDreams

Apr 4, 2010
Has anyone gotten titanium backup to work on this ROM? I know the device technically didnt need to be rooted, so titanium says it root access failed when I try to use it.

raphenucleus

Aug 1, 2010
Dallas, TX
Has anyone gotten titanium backup to work on this ROM? I know the device technically didnt need to be rooted, so titanium says it root access failed when I try to use it.

Titanium Backup has been working fine for me. If you were able to install the ROM, you should have root access. Are you sure you allowed it in the Superuser Permissions app? That could prevent it from giving you root access. Try opening the Superuser app and see if it's allowed. Are you using the latest version of Titanium Backup? It was just updated today; that could also be the issue, although the past several versions have been working fine for me.

IllusiveDreams

Apr 4, 2010
Titanium Backup has been working fine for me. If you were able to install the ROM, you should have root access. Are you sure you allowed it in the Superuser Permissions app? That could prevent it from giving you root access. Try opening the Superuser app and see if it's allowed. Are you using the latest version of Titanium Backup? It was just updated today; that could also be the issue, although the past several versions have been working fine for me.

Sorry, I thought I had edited the post to say I got it figured out. I had to go into Root Explorer and switch from R/O to R/W. Once I did that, Titanium worked.

mydave1

Mar 16, 2011
tlbardelljr sir, thanks for taking the time to adapt good features from AdamComb. Your baby product has always been great, not it is even better.

Dave

edirector

Feb 9, 2011
Has anybody done a video of this rom in action or who will consider doing one? If there is already one can you tell me where to find it? I looked at the videos of the roms -- the list and didn't see it. Thanks, in advance!

ramerco

Mar 16, 2011
Nice work so far!

Any chance you will include the data2loop mod/hack in this? It seems to work well on HC, at least on the GtabComb build.

Also, does the boot.img (specifically init.rc) have commands to execute scripts in system/etc/init.d?

Thanks!

tlbardelljr

Retired Recognized Developer
Dec 29, 2010
Has anybody done a video of this rom in action or who will consider doing one? If there is already one can you tell me where to find it? I looked at the videos of the roms -- the list and didn't see it. Thanks, in advance!

I think its a great idea edirector. I don't have the hardware to make a video. If nobody here wants to make one I will see if I can get a friend to help out.

thatoneguy247

May 25, 2010
You have my favorite ROM out right now. Your updates are consistent and you really get on the issues that your rom may have in a timely matter. I was looking at other roms, but I think I'm going to stay with Flashback for a while.
Thanks tlbardelljr!

raphenucleus

Aug 1, 2010
Dallas, TX
I was about to mention that I was having problems with google earth force closing and network-based location not working on 5.3, but then I checked out the thread over on SlateDroid and saw that you fixed these issues on 5.4, which will be coming soon. Otherwise it's running really smoothly. Looking forward to 5.4!

I can make a video of the ROM if you want, but it would be using my evo, so the quality may not be all that great. Also, I assume it would be better to wait for 5.4 to do so, since it will have the issues from 5.3 fixed.

Jesse6749

May 1, 2010
T.B.A
I was about to mention that I was having problems with google earth force closing and network-based location not working on 5.3, but then I checked out the thread over on SlateDroid and saw that you fixed these issues on 5.4, which will be coming soon. Otherwise it's running really smoothly. Looking forward to 5.4!

I can make a video of the ROM if you want, but it would be using my evo, so the quality may not be all that great. Also, I assume it would be better to wait for 5.4 to do so, since it will have the issues from 5.3 fixed.

I am still on 5.2 and it is still working good for me, so I am going to wait patiently for 5.4.:D
Update: Well 5.4 is up time to flash it and test it out :D

Last edited:

nunjabusiness

Jan 20, 2011
I am extremely pleased with 5.4. Everything working as it should after update.
Running benchmarks to check my notes. Antutu locked the thing up, but smartbench just ran and gave me a 3414 after a fresh boot and no manual closing of running apps. Pretty decent I think. I had a 3200-something with 5.0 before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Q&A SECTION HERE

LAST UPDATE: 11/11/11 (alpha 10.1)

2e61f94743b3c2ff7e8ad7f2e779b9b9d2f26c8703acfe4bdb9015aef4aab0786g.jpg

Thank you Dave.S for the video!
    Video of Flashback 10.0
    [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_uIi-EO_Ac[/media]
    Video of Flashback 9.0
    [media]http://www.youtube.com/v/J98SDDJ3MhE?[/media]

STANDARD DISCLAIMER:
    USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. By running this firmware, you agree that there is the possibility that you may brick your device. You agree that only you are responsible and no one else is responsible for supporting you if that occurs.

Acknowledgments
    Roebeet, Mrguy, Pershoot, Zebwen, Clemsyn and all the Adam and VEGA developers, for this excellent port. If you have contributed something I used let me know and I will add you here.

Pre-requisites
    1. Setup and learn how to use nvflash. This is your backout in case something bad happens, so I would recommend you understand how to use this, in advance.
    2. Have your device on a stock 1.2-based ROM / mod baseline. For example, build 4349 is the latest 1.2-based stock ROM, as of this writing.

NVFlash
    - tlb1961's Rev4 nvflash for windows or linux(Detailed Instructions included in download.)

Installation for 1.2-based stock
    Two options for installing Flashback

Option 1 (May have instability)
    - Copy the zip file to the root of your internal memory.
    - Reboot into recovery. Select install from sdcard.
    - Wipe data if after first boot you experience instability or non functioning features that work for others. (this still may not fix your issues)

Option 2 (Preferred method and most stable option)
    - View detailed instuctions

Installing Flash (you can upgrade to flash from the Market and use Opera for flash in web and go back to this hacked flash anytime to use Flash apps)
    - Go to settings then Applications and select unknown sources
    - In File Manager HD navigate to /system/data and install AdobeFlashplayer-hacked.apk
    - Will need to repeat these steps after a data wipe!

Features
    - YouTube App (All videos play fullscreen)
    - External SDcard access
    - PC Mounting
    - Overclocking
    - Flash Browsing (using opera)
    - Flash Apps
    - Web rendering apps
    - adhoc support
    - a2dp bluetooth

Flashback Team Members
    Dave.S
    HiTekRedneck
    jazzruby
    OtherGuy
    rowwor
    Sharpe351
    TEK112
    tlb1961
    tlbardelljr

Downloads

Dave S. Flashback tip collection

Alpha 10.1 Link:
    (updated 11/11/2011) FlashBack 10.1

MD5 Checksum 2cc1aca7e5a41150276d31f8c4926a5f

Clemsyn Honeycomb Trial 5 Link: http://www.mediafire...7s7c1anfv1pnfe3

Compatible Game List
    Check here for compatible game list by FunkyFlyChicken

Bug/Feature Request
    Click here to enter your bug/feature request. Please be as detailed as possible.

Changelog
    View the Flashback Changelog.

Issues
    - Camera isn't working
    - HD Video

fce07a2f4bebbcd0f79496aae81b18dca4c9fcfb8e42dda063711733b6d63e736g.jpg

c25caf86eda4859a4de2cd51f8552cecee6a1f9091f9f61785bd849cab273a526g.jpg

9b4c6af5a4353fe4693d588a1c664eea6418ed58b445bc19f5e2bcee70de24ca6g.jpg

71352efed6e42e0480bb7f93c7e5e448ea07b3b4ca4cd4cffd2949f91bde9d5d6g.jpg

0ce8dd150450d1077f351b40dbdc1d4f5136d8611419264940bfd0988382f0a46g.jpg

97bccf72fe8c74d1415b1cdf83649eede87a5cb23882cea84498bb900c5359f76g.jpg

260957a37c8a09501b82f50e7c73bc5ca8ddc1b74ba33623c5499e01c65057cd6g.jpg

70a27d17542991fcc35ab909f555318dc228e70603cc2152cf3fb00256afb3fe6g.jpg
    I hope this thread does not become what has happened to the illuminate threads. Shortly after deciding to release Flashback I had posted that I was hesitant to start Flashback because of the criticism LBS was unfairly receiving.

Any dev who decides to take a project like this on has my utmost respect. It is very time consuming and sometimes we work days only to realize we need to head in a different direction. I wanted to participate to see if I could help move development forward for all the users who bought a GTAB and wanted Honeycomb.

Users have asked here what is different between the two. I have not been able to answer this question as I had not tried Illuminate. I just got done with installing illuminate and first off let me say this thing seems fast. It installed flawlessly and after a couple hours playing with it no crashes.

So far I can see three real differences for user experience.

1. Web related apps (craigslist) do not render on illuminate, they do on all other ROMS
    2.Most of the videos in the youtube app do not play, they do on all other ROMS (albeit standard definition)
    3. Apps downloaded from the market that require flash do not work, they do on all other Roms currently being developed.

Overall I think the Illuminate Dev did a very good job and I commend him for it.

The best advice I can give is to try them all out. It is free and usually painless to switch ROMS and take them for a test drive.

I am sure with the skills and dedication of everyone trying to take our Tabs further all ROMS will continue to get better and better.

Good luck with whatever you choose. This is fun stuff!! And the GTAB community is the best if you run into any trouble. So please lets stay positive before we poison our own community.
    8.0 updated pershoots new kernel and clockworkmod to rev5
    5.3 is up. Let me know if battery performance has improved!