[UPDATE][US WIFI ONLY]Android 3.2 on Xoom WiFi, Root, via ClockworkMod Recovery

Search This thread

dew.man

Nov 26, 2006
White Lake
what method works to root 3.1 that still allows this update? the common wifi-root-3.1 update includes sd support etc and causes the asert fail.

Sk8er Boi

Feb 11, 2005
Alexandria
Code:
cat /system/build.prop

Code:
# begin build properties
# autogenerated by buildinfo.sh
ro.build.id=HMJ37
ro.build.display.id=HMJ37
ro.build.version.incremental=124251
ro.build.version.sdk=12
ro.build.version.codename=REL
ro.build.version.release=3.1
ro.build.date=Sat May  7 02:22:32 PDT 2011
ro.build.date.utc=1304760152
ro.build.type=user
ro.build.user=android-build
ro.build.host=android-test-7.mtv.corp.google.com
ro.build.tags=release-keys
ro.product.model=Xoom
ro.product.brand=verizon
ro.product.name=trygon
ro.product.device=stingray
ro.product.board=
ro.product.cpu.abi=armeabi-v7a
ro.product.cpu.abi2=armeabi
ro.product.manufacturer=Motorola
ro.product.locale.language=en
ro.product.locale.region=US
ro.wifi.channels=
ro.board.platform=tegra
# ro.build.product is obsolete; use ro.product.device
ro.build.product=stingray
# Do not try to parse ro.build.description or .fingerprint
ro.build.description=trygon-user 3.1 HMJ37 124251 release-keys
ro.build.fingerprint=verizon/trygon/stingray:3.1/HMJ37/124251:user/release-keys
ro.build.characteristics=tablet,nosdcard
# end build properties
# RIL and telephony related settings
rild.libargs=-d /dev/chnlat10
rild.libpath=/system/lib/libmoto_ril.so
persist.ril.mux.ttydevice=/dev/usb/tty2-1:1.2
persist.ril.mux.noofchannels=8
persist.ril.modem.mode=1
ro.cdma.home.operator.numeric=310004
ro.cdma.home.operator.alpha=Verizon
ro.cdma.homesystem=64,65,76,77,78,79,80,81,82,83
ro.cdma.data_retry_config=default_randomization=2000,0,0,120000,180000,540000,960000
persist.ril.modem.ttydevice=/dev/usb/tty2-1:1.4
ro.telephony.default_network=4

# The OpenGL ES API level that is natively supported by this device.
# This is a 16.16 fixed point number
ro.opengles.version = 131072

# Indicate carrier OTA SP number schema
# refer to frameworks/base/telephony/java/com/android/
# internal/telephony/cdma/CDMAPhone.java for the schema:
ro.cdma.otaspnumschema=SELC,1,80,99

#
# ADDITIONAL_BUILD_PROPERTIES
#
ro.com.google.clientidbase=android-verizon
ro.config.ringtone=Sceptrum.ogg
ro.config.notification_sound=Cobalt.ogg
ro.config.alarm_alert=Cesium.ogg
keyguard.no_require_sim=true
ro.setupwizard.mode=OPTIONAL
drm.service.enabled=true
wifi.interface=wlan0
wifi.supplicant_scan_interval=15
dalvik.vm.heapstartsize=5m
dalvik.vm.heapgrowthlimit=48m
dalvik.vm.heapsize=256m
ro.com.android.wifi-watchlist=GoogleGuest
ro.error.receiver.system.apps=com.google.android.feedback
ro.setupwizard.enterprise_mode=1
ro.com.android.dateformat=MM-dd-yyyy
ro.com.android.dataroaming=false
ro.url.legal=http://www.google.com/intl/%s/mobile/android/basic/phone-legal.html
ro.url.legal.android_privacy=http://www.google.com/intl/%s/mobile/android/basic/privacy.html
ro.com.google.clientidbase=android-google
ro.config.notification_sound=OnTheHunt.ogg
ro.config.alarm_alert=Alarm_Classic.ogg
dalvik.vm.dexopt-flags=m=y
net.bt.name=Android
dalvik.vm.stack-trace-file=/data/anr/traces.txt

$

stachre

Mar 30, 2011
Code:
ro.build.fingerprint=verizon/trygon/stingray:3.1/HMJ37/124251:user/release-keys

Bingo. You've got something other than stock 3.1 HMJ37 going on there. If you want to use this to upgrade to 3.2, you need to flash the stock 3.1 system.img, then reconfigure su and Superuser.apk. Link in the OP.

EDIT: I'm working on including all the SU stuff in the update.zip. v04 coming sometime this evening.

Reactions: Sk8er Boi

Sk8er Boi

Feb 11, 2005
Alexandria
strange the thread i used to update from 3.0 said it is a stock anyway i think i will wait for the update i don't wanna miss around and lose my data witch happened on my last update

thanks for your hard work

killakrishook3r

Sep 30, 2010
Bingo. You've got something other than stock 3.1 HMJ37 going on there. If you want to use this to upgrade to 3.2, you need to flash the stock 3.1 system.img, then reconfigure su and Superuser.apk. Link in the OP.

EDIT: I'm working on including all the SU stuff in the update.zip. v04 coming sometime this evening.

3.1 stock in OP still gives me an error

Jaredsk74

Nov 24, 2010
Pennsylvania
File flashes fine on stock. It's once you root that things get messed up. I am on 3.2 now, but unrooted. Will I be able to just flash over with the new update.zip once you add SU to it? Or will I have to reset back to stock first?

stachre

Mar 30, 2011
File flashes fine on stock. It's once you root that things get messed up. I am on 3.2 now, but unrooted. Will I be able to just flash over with the new update.zip once you add SU to it? Or will I have to reset back to stock first?

Back to stock, unfortunately. The update patches the stock 3.1 system partition; hence the zip is a relatively small file.

Reactions: Jaredsk74

mr_delphi

Sep 23, 2010

U can just adb push su and superuser

I did this

Uk xoom. Flashed stock us 3.1. Flash update v3. Adb push su and superuser. Now all good

Reactions: dew.man

bpick

Jul 13, 2009
Here's what I did to get it going.

Use fastboot to flash the system.img file from here:http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1080963&page=2

Copy the system.img to your adb folder (typically tools).

Next extract the su.zip attached to this post. Copy the files inside (su and Superuser.apk) into your adb tools directory where you just put system.img

Run these commands in adb.

adb reboot bootloader

Doh ! V4 is on its way up. Oh well.

##wait until you see fastboot protocol support on the screen of your Xoom

then run:

fastboot flash system system.img

## When complete

fastboot reboot

When it reboots, boot into recovery. From here you can now install the update.zip you created in the OP. If it is there, flash away.

apply update from sd card

install update.zip from SD........

If not download the 3.2 update from the OP and rename it to update.zip. Move it to you sd card. You can just mount the SD to your computer by selecting Mounts&Storage > mount USB storage. When copied Unmount. Select Go Back and apply the update.

Back out and reboot.

Let Android boot. Ensure usb debugging is connected. Open a command prompt if it's not still open and cd to your adb tools directory.

then run:

adb remount
adb push su /system/bin/su
adb shell chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
adb shell ln -s /system/bin/su /system/xbin/su
adb push Superuser.apk /system/app/
adb reboot

Once you reboot you are now fully rooted, if you get a failure at the remount then you have a permissions problem. Start over.

##NOTE: If you have issues with Superuser not working correctly you can go into the market and re-install it or update it.

##NOTE If you get an error creating the symlink with:

run the following command:

adb shell rm /system/bin/su /system/xbin/su

then run the command to create the link.

You can also test root by running:

adb shell
su

If you get a prompt and it reports su, your good.

Attachments

• Su.zip
    126.7 KB · Views: 25

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ATTENTION: Custom Android 3.2 ROM available! Both 3G and Wi-Fi users can enjoy Team Tiamat Xoom Rom 2.0.1 Manta Ray. If you want the latest features implemented by Team Tiamat, install Manta Ray; otherwise, if you want stock 3.2 with root, continue below.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This update is for the US Xoom Wi-Fi MZ604 with Android 3.1 ONLY!!! As of v05 of this update, the update script performs NO CHECKS of files before flashing rooted stock 3.2 system and boot images. This means it won't stop you from flashing on a Xoom 3G; it will just flash and you're left with the mess, if any. Please proceed only if you're tech-savvy with Android and the Xoom, ready to restore to stock 3.1 in case of issues, and good at troubleshooting. Please provide feedback and corrections, and I'll update the post as quickly as I can. Thanks!

WARNING: Following this procedure may damage or permamently destroy your device. This procedure is provided with NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. Perform this procedure at your own risk.

COMPATIBILITY NOTE: I have personally tested this procedure ONLY ON THE US XOOM WI-FI MZ604 with Android 3.1 HMJ37. If you have a non-US Xoom Wi-Fi, this procedure may break your device. If you have a Xoom 3G, this procedure may break your device. If you're running a version of Android prior to 3.1, this procedure may break your device (update to 3.1 first).

[size=+1]SUMMARY[/size]

Here's a run-down on the current procedure:
    • Updates the Xoom Wi-Fi from 3.1 HMJ37 to 3.2 HTJ85B using ClockworkMod Recovery (update.zip)
    • Flashes system partition with rooted stock 3.2 image (minus the recovery overwrite script)
    • Includes Superuser.apk and su binary to enable functioning root (thanks, chainsdd)
    • Flashes the boot (kernel) partition with rooted stock 3.2 kernel (thanks, solarnz)
    • Stock kernel means no extras (overclocking, etc.) from custom kernels
    • Leaves existing recovery partition intact (stock 3.2 update overwrites it on every reboot)
    • Leaves user data intact
    • Includes Android 3.2 support for hardware SDCard (shows in Settings|Storage, /mnt/external1)

Outstanding Issues:
    • Too many steps: Include the edited updater-script, su, Superuser.apk in a custom update.zip
    • Requires stock 3.1 Boot partition (kernel): Need to include solarnz's stock rooted 3.2 boot.img and just flash that over whatever is there
    • Requires stock 3.1 HMJ37 System partition (ROM): Might include a stock 3.2 system.img and remove the checks for stock 3.1 system files, but it will make the .zip huge
    • Users with custom ROM's report issues after update: users suggest factory reset/full wipe (including user data) in ClockworkMod Recovery prior to updating (read through the thread for more info)
    • Superuser update available in market, but update fails: my bad for not including the latest and putting the apk in /system/app makes upgrading less easy. Delete superuser.apk using adb, terminal, or rootish file manager app, and the upgrade should work (thanks, GeekyGuy)

Now, without further ado...

[size=+1]ASSUMPTIONS[/size]

[size=+1]PROCEDURE[/size]
    1. Rename the modded Android 3.2 Update file to update.zip
    2. Reboot into recovery
      • Reboot your Xoom
      • When the Motorola logo splash screen appears, press the Volume Down button to scroll through boot options and select "--> Android Recovery"
      • Press the Volume Up button to enter Android recovery
    3. Perform update
      Note that in recovery, you use the hardware volume buttons to navigate up and down, and the power button to select. Note also if you are coming over from a custom ROM, users suggest doing a factory reset/full wipe (including user data) ClockworkMod Recovery prior to performing the following steps (read the thread for more info).
      • In ClockworkMod Recovery, select "mounts and storage"
      • Ensure your Xoom is connected to your PC via USB, then select "mount USB storage"
      • On your PC, copy update.zip to the root of the Xoom's SDCard ("Removable Disk" in Windows)
      • In ClockworkModRecovery (still on the "USB Mass Storage device" screen) select "Unmount"
      • In the "Mounts and Storage Menu" screen, if the option "unmount /sdcard" is present, continue to the next step; if "mount /sdcard" is present, select it then continue
      • Select "+++++Go Back+++++"
      • Select "apply update from sdcard"
      • Select "Yes - Install /sdcard/update.zip"

"Install from sdcard complete." will indicate that the update is completed.
      • Select "reboot system now"
    4. Enjoy your rooted Xoom Wi-Fi, running on Android 3.2!

[size=+1]POST-UPDATE NOTES[/size]

[size=+1]CHANGELOG[/size]

• v05: Removed system file checks and patches; instead flashes 3.2 system image with Superuser.apk and su binary preinstalled and recovery overwrite removed.
    • v04: Included Superuser.apk and su binary; no need to have them prior to updating. Still requires stock 3.1 HMJ37 system/ROM.
    • v03: First release of modded update.zip, removes check for stock 3.1 boot partition, flashes solarnz rooted stock 3.2 boot.img
    • v02: Added su symlink to updater-script
    • v01: First release, modded updater-script for manual mod to update.zip file
    FYI, Tiamat 1.4.5 which will come soon (i.e next few days) will support 3.2. (Unfortuantly it won't support earlier versions)
    FYI: I'll have a complete update for this later, I.E you will be able to flash from any rom / kernel, as long as you have updated to 3.1
    This superuser update bug is annoying....keeps trying to update but fails.

Sent from my Xoom using XDA Premium App

This worked for me:
    Used Rom Manager and deleted the superuser.apk from \system\apps
    Rebooted
    Immediately downloaded the newer superuser from the Market
    Ran superuser and updated the su binaries
    OP Updated:

v04: Included Superuser.apk and su binary; no need to have them prior to updating. Still requires stock 3.1 HMJ37 system/ROM.