How To: Atom Series Extended Rom Cooking

Search This thread

jiggs

Jan 27, 2006
For Atom / Atom Pure / Atom Exec: Use WinImage Version 8.1 or similar program to edit IMG file. There are many programs that can do it.

Do not touch folders found in this image file. Programs that depend on these folders are: FM Radio, AutoConfig, WirelessManager, Camera, Equalizer, Album (life), ImageEditor (life)

The version of the Extended Rom is taken from the text file:
061020_AL1ARCWWE_EX0604.txt
The name is picked up versionCPAapplet.cpl (found in Settings->System Info)
So far, I did not encounter any problems changing the version numbers

The default folder name for this partition on your device is \_QHiddenPartition\ However, when we unlock this hidden partition at device runtime, we can not use the same folder name to install programs and lock it afterwards.

Normally, I used this partition to place the cabs I want to install at hard reset. This is no longer a problem with the cooked ATOM/ATOM EXEC ROMs we made because, serialzs introduced MortScript to do the automatic installation of cabs found in \_QHiddenPartition\ and \cabs\ folder found in storage card.

It is not necessary, however, to unlock the hidden partition just to edit the contents at device runtime. You can always use Total Commander to browse this partion by keying \_QHiddenPartition\ on the location bar.

For ATOM LIFE users, you can simply remove the 12-byte header of IMG file, and WinImage 8.1 can be used to edit the file. You need to restore the 12-byte header prior to flashing your device again.

pdafre4k

Nov 30, 2005
tj your are very kind ^^;
Last time i ask.you say search.
i use search but still confuse cause alot of topic.
but now you posted this info.
THANKS YOU

cdmavn

Oct 18, 2006
How to remove or add programs being install in order??? I found that del *.cab to remove the programs and copy *.cab to auto install the programs from extended rom. But i don't know the file where listed the programs is able install in the extended rom at hard reset. In the past,when i cooked BA rom, i remember that i can edit the file include the paths of the cabs I want to auto install at flash rom or hard reset.
For Atom / Atom Pure / Atom Exec: Use WinImage Version 8.1 or similar program to edit IMG file. There are many programs that can do it.

Do not touch folders found in this image file. Programs that depend on these folders are: FM Radio, AutoConfig, WirelessManager, Camera, Equalizer, Album (life), ImageEditor (life)

The version of the Extended Rom is taken from the text file:
061020_AL1ARCWWE_EX0604.txt
The name is picked up versionCPAapplet.cpl (found in Settings->System Info)
So far, I did not encounter any problems changing the version numbers

The default folder name for this partition on your device is \_QHiddenPartition\ However, when we unlock this hidden partition at device runtime, we can not use the same folder name to install programs and lock it afterwards.

Normally, I used this partition to place the cabs I want to install at hard reset. This is no longer a problem with the cooked ATOM/ATOM EXEC ROMs we made because, serialzs introduced MortScript to do the automatic installation of cabs found in \_QHiddenPartition\ and \cabs\ folder found in storage card.

It is not necessary, however, to unlock the hidden partition just to edit the contents at device runtime. You can always use Total Commander to browse this partion by keying \_QHiddenPartition\ on the location bar.

For ATOM LIFE users, you can simply remove the 12-byte header of IMG file, and WinImage 8.1 can be used to edit the file. You need to restore the 12-byte header prior to flashing your device again.

jiggs

Jan 27, 2006
How to remove or add programs being install in order??? I found that del *.cab to remove the programs and copy *.cab to auto install the programs from extended rom. But i don't know the file where listed the programs is able install in the extended rom at hard reset. In the past,when i cooked BA rom, i remember that i can edit the file include the paths of the cabs I want to auto install at flash rom or hard reset.

The script runs through all cabs present in the the two locations stated above. You don't have to edit any list like you do for AutoRun in BA. Also, AutoRun does not work with cab installation that require user interaction. Now, as for your question regarding the order they go - it's alphabetical.

ex.image

Jul 3, 2007
Hi jiggs!!

You awesome! I have added my operator in autoconfig list, all work fine, now I have all settings for my operator!

THANKS A LOT!!

_fm

Aug 13, 2007
Surabaya
interesting in rom cooking, thats what i.m always thinking about,. :)
but i'm afraid to do this, i'm afraid i'll bring my atom unusable,. :eek:

thanks anyway jiggs,.

Avocado

Apr 30, 2006
Hi all,

I use remotePROTECT as a security measure on my Atom - I find the program great.

It will be even better if I place it in extROM (hidden partition) so that it will install again upon hard reset.

I've followed the instructions that come with the software - they require me to place the program's CAB file in the extROM along with the setupE file.

I tried that - did a hard reset and nothing happened - didn't install.

I have an O2 Atom with an official ROM release installed.

Is there anything else I need to do? I note there is an Autoinst.dat file in the hidden partition, but it's encrypted or gibberish so I can't do much with it.

If I've overlooked anything can someone please suggest what I can do to make this do what I want - install itself again after hard reset.

Thanks in advance.

jiggs

Jan 27, 2006
Hi all,

I use remotePROTECT as a security measure on my Atom - I find the program great.

It will be even better if I place it in extROM (hidden partition) so that it will install again upon hard reset.

I've followed the instructions that come with the software - they require me to place the program's CAB file in the extROM along with the setupE file.

I tried that - did a hard reset and nothing happened - didn't install.

I have an O2 Atom with an official ROM release installed.

Is there anything else I need to do? I note there is an Autoinst.dat file in the hidden partition, but it's encrypted or gibberish so I can't do much with it.

If I've overlooked anything can someone please suggest what I can do to make this do what I want - install itself again after hard reset.

Thanks in advance.

If you have read the first post carefully, then you will understand that this won't work because the built-in AutoInstall of the official ROM restricts to signed CABs only as defined by list with no known format as of this date. That's why we have cooked ROMs to bypass this and created another AutoInstall script. There are work arounds for your purpose but definitely this solution is not for you. You have to do some research on this forum.

vocian

Aug 23, 2007
Tehran
Anyone knows how to change or create new network settings. I found xml files in network folder and asked if there is a way to have my personal network settings like auto sms delivery or auto configure vms numbers or ...

jiggs

Jan 27, 2006
Anyone knows how to change or create new network settings. I found xml files in network folder and asked if there is a way to have my personal network settings like auto sms delivery or auto configure vms numbers or ...

you need to secure this from your operator.

although you can edit the xml files with notepad, I don't know if the GUID found there is important. you can also generate your own GUID to have a unique value.

select the existing xml that best fit your requirements and edit it. you can't edit the cabs found in the networks because they are signed. you need to provision your own cabs. it's more like provisioning certificates using cabs.

vocian

Aug 23, 2007
Tehran
you need to secure this from your operator.

although you can edit the xml files with notepad, I don't know if the GUID found there is important. you can also generate your own GUID to have a unique value.

select the existing xml that best fit your requirements and edit it. you can't edit the cabs found in the networks because they are signed. you need to provision your own cabs. it's more like provisioning certificates using cabs.

thank you very much indeed. I found xml files for defualt operator and also txt file wich list this operators. Gussed that first input my operator to that list and then create new xml. but i figured if any guide for what all of this xml comands mean and the whole format.

and another question : how to edit or change cabs? I have a background of programming with c++ and visual basic.net. Is it possible for me to create my own cab without too much effort? and with which compiler ?

tnx

hh93220

Dec 12, 2006
Beijing

Jiggs,

I am using an atom life, I fould that I could not browse the extended rom with Total Commander. In my memory, I should be able to use TC to browse the extended rom on my ATOM EXEC. Do you know what I am doing wrong?

By the way, is it possible to unhide the extended rom?

jiggs

Jan 27, 2006
thank you very much indeed. I found xml files for defualt operator and also txt file wich list this operators. Gussed that first input my operator to that list and then create new xml. but i figured if any guide for what all of this xml comands mean and the whole format.

and another question : how to edit or change cabs? I have a background of programming with c++ and visual basic.net. Is it possible for me to create my own cab without too much effort? and with which compiler ?

tnx

use PocketPC Installation Creator to create cabs.

scorpio16v

Oct 3, 2006
www.youtube.com
Jiggs,
I am using an atom life, I fould that I could not browse the extended rom with Total Commander. In my memory, I should be able to use TC to browse the extended rom on my ATOM EXEC. Do you know what I am doing wrong?
You must simply type \_QHiddenPartition in Total Commander to switch to Extended ROM.
Btw: It's described in the Atom Wiki. You should read it.:)

By the way, is it possible to unhide the extended rom?
Yes:
hit me

nhathoa

Dec 5, 2006
For AtomLife ExtRom.img.

Anyone was successful to flash editted ExtRom.img of AtomLife with DSUU? If possible, could you please show me few experience to Update ExtRom via DSUU. :D

Ex: Remove 12bytes header/edit(add or remove anything can do)/restore 12bytes header. Then replace new ExtRom.img in \Window\temp\ExtRom.img and delete \Window\temp\FLASH.DIO while completed extract of DSUU running. Then imitate DSUU instruction. Is it right?:p This way, I cuccessed to new Flash.dio for AtomLife.:p