Bugs in OTA 2.3.3 for Desire Z - add yours

Search This thread

whpsnp

Dec 9, 2010
While generally being quite happy with the Gingerbread update for my Desire Z, clearly there are a few glitches.

First of all, my DZ is a Nordic version with the characters Æ, Ø, Å, Ä and Ö on the hardware keyboard.

On 2.2 before the OTA there was a bug which consistently caused capitalization of Æ, Ø and Å (æøå) when using the hardware keyboard. I don't know about Ä and Ö which are only used in Swedish and not in Danish and Norwegian.
This bug is now fixed using the native keyboard but still present using Scandinavian Keyboard which I have installed from Market. I must admit that I have not contacted the developer to ask if this could be a bug in the app.

Sadly, I have now experienced another bug related to the hardware keyboard after updating to 2.3 - today it happened for the second time.
When typing in Whatsapp and the SMS app (and possibly other apps) using the hardware keyboard pressing "S" will open the SMS app, pressing "G" will open Gmail and pressing "B" will open the built-in browser (not Dolphin HD which is set to default). This is fixed by a reboot (temporarily, it seems). Incidentally, the bug disappeared just now without a reboot while checking if it was also present in Gmail.

The missing pictures bug in HTC's gallery app is still there - still using QuickPic.

Anything that is not listed here - please add to the thread.

EDIT:
As many others I also get the constant Sense restarting thing which is driving me insane!

Also the brightness setting itself to maximum many times.

A handful random reboots. A couple happened with no apps open and doing nothing on the phone - I just happened to notice when it rebooted.

Since monomer888's advise I haven't had another shortcut typing bug happen (as of yet). Thanks!

I'm running software version 2.42.405.2 CL84109

Last edited:

monomer888

Sep 20, 2009
[..]Sadly, I have now experienced another bug related to the hardware keyboard after updating to 2.3 - today it happened for the second time.
When typing in Whatsapp and the SMS app (and possibly other apps) using the hardware keyboard pressing "S" will open the SMS app, pressing "G" will open Gmail and pressing "B" will open the built-in browser (not Dolphin HD which is set to default). This is fixed by a reboot (temporarily, it seems). Incidentally, the bug disappeared just now without a reboot while checking if it was also present in Gmail.[..]

You can try this:
Originally Posted by Snotmann
If i type a "S" in a SMS, on the hardware keyboard, i get the message that the SMS will be saved and the screen went back to the SMS Overview.

Did someone have the same issue ?
Have had this happen to me before. Fix it by doing this:

Settings -> Applications -> Quick Launch -> Delete all shortcuts

Also [..] restart just to be on the safe side.
No guarantees but it might work.

Reactions: whpsnp

nicolaibaun

Mar 6, 2011
Kolding
My phone doesn't show album art in the music player, and it still doesn't work after several restarts, and dismounting and mounting sd card. Hope it gets fixed soon :)

Sent from my HTC Vision using XDA App

hugo_prado

Aug 27, 2009
Poá/SP
- when exit from a fullscrren app, sometimes the status bar doesnt fit all screen, leting a space (about 10% of the screen space). Expanding the status bar fix it

- Portuguese translation erros remains from the first rom 1.34!!!!!:
Call volume is "Volume de ligação recebida" - shuold be "Volume da ligação"
The tips widget is "Dicar", should be "Dicas"
And a few others, that I don't remember now.

craiglay

Feb 22, 2008
I've only seen some minor UI bugs and most recently, the capital letters typing a text message. That only happens when I try to type too quickly after opening the thread.

I must admit that I havent seen the gallery bug yet but then I don't really use the camera.

Might be worth posting your version number to track regional bugs.
Mine is 2.42.405.2

desirez_pete

May 28, 2011
Brightness will be stuck at max waking from sleep sometimes. Brightness slider has no effect. Fixes itself if you sleep then wake again.

epochVHS

Feb 8, 2011
I had the missing gallery pictures problem and the brightness problem as well-I have it normally on auto-bright, but sometimes when I wake it or reboot it, it automatically changes to full brightness and I have to select auto-bright again.

Also, Sense restarts after almost anything.

Arrch

Jul 20, 2011
After installing, deleting or moving an app, returning to the home makes sense crash and restart.
I have a gallery bug aswell, can click on some line with pic and wording not shown.
I had once a bug in the unlock pin screen, tapping 7 was actually hitting 4, same if I hold on 7, i see the pressed status of the 4 button onscreen. It happened when i had no charge at all and plugged the phone to the usb port of my running pc. It was also impossible to switch on the phone, i had to plug it out.
Can't remember more right now.

durdyn

Aug 10, 2010
Sense crashing sometimes when leaving app
Newsreader crashing when returning from browser
The shortcut bug (pressing Searchkey once on hardware keyboar solve this)
The 10% status bar bug
Coming up some more soon
:)

noneabove

May 1, 2011
I was wondering if anyone had noticed if there is still this bug or if you could test to check for me:

Start an app in portrait mode, slide out the keyboard for landscape mode, hit the home key. Do your apps/widgets load right away or within a couple seconds? For me it has always been that it will take 15-20 seconds for the screen to load, all I will see is the status bar and my background, no loading screen, no errors, nothing but that. Let me know if you had this prior to updating and also if you have it after, thanks!

BaconSauce

Oct 17, 2010
ME TOO!

My phone doesn't show album art in the music player, and it still doesn't work after several restarts, and dismounting and mounting sd card. Hope it gets fixed soon :)

I also don't have album artwork shown in my music app :| Do you guys think HTC will bring out a software update for these bugs?

costipl

Dec 2, 2009
Warszawa
I was wondering if anyone had noticed if there is still this bug or if you could test to check for me:

Start an app in portrait mode, slide out the keyboard for landscape mode, hit the home key. Do your apps/widgets load right away or within a couple seconds? For me it has always been that it will take 15-20 seconds for the screen to load, all I will see is the status bar and my background, no loading screen, no errors, nothing but that. Let me know if you had this prior to updating and also if you have it after, thanks!

Happens to me sometimes as well. Also, waking up by opening the keyboard may cause the widgets on the home screen to show after a few seconds.

Sense crashing sometimes when leaving app
The 10% status bar bug
I've experienced these as well. Funny thing is, I only experience the 10% bug in Facebook app.

Kueber

Aug 5, 2011
Besides that "desktop loader" and sense-crash problem I got some strange issue with my mobile data connection - searched the forum for a while, haven't found anything, so I'll report it as a gingerbread bug.
Sense displays an activated connection all the time (3g/H - with those two little arrows flashing, thus indicating some traffic) but, unfortunately totally random, it decides to stop working.
Only way to check the data connection is browsing google. Turning off/on fixes the problem temporarily.
In addition, the speed of my mobile connection seem to be capped at some point - typically, depending on my location, it'll stick with 3G instead of H until I reboot. (noticed a remarkable speed difference by browsing the web before and after reboot)

Anyone similar problems?

Desire Z - 2.3.3 Stock

craiglay

Feb 22, 2008
@Kueber;

While i've only seen the sense reload when my phone is uunder a lot of CPU load, I have seen it.

Regarding the data issue, i've only seen it with a certain app, "London Journey" This would retrieve some downloads, but not others. Maybe its a change in the data API relating to the new Download API. Using any other app was fine.

In maybe a slightly related issue, I've noticed that when in GPRS or EDGE, its much more reluctant to go to HSPA, especially when the H signal is low. However, this would normally just drop straight back to G / E anyway so is an improvement in my mind. It also seems quicker to see the HSPA connection has been lost and goes to G / E.

In your case, if location determins 3G rather than H, it could indicate you mobile provider may not have upgraded all their sites yet. If it passes data, then its stuck at 3G.

Craig

Last edited:
Reactions: Kueber

Kueber

Aug 5, 2011
@Kueber;

While i've only seen the sense reload when my phone is uunder a lot of CPU load, I have seen it.

Regarding the data issue, i've only seen it with a certain app, "London Journey" This would retrieve some downloads, but not others. Maybe its a change in the data API relating to the new Download API. Using any other app was fine.

In maybe a slightly related issue, I've noticed that when in GPRS or EDGE, its much more reluctant to go to HSPA, especially when the H signal is low. However, this would normally just drop straight back to G / E anyway so is an improvement in my mind. It also seems quicker to see the HSPA connection has been lost and goes to G / E.

In your case, if location determins 3G rather than H, it could indicate you mobile provider may not have upgraded all their sites yet. If it passes data, then its stuck at 3G.

Craig

Hey there, thanks for your answer.
The strange thing is that my previous phone (HTC Legend) always displays a HSDPA connection (speaking of my hometown as testing area). My Desire Z also states a H connection until it get capped somehow. Then I reboot and the little H is back. It is definitely not a display bug, since the speed difference, as already mentioned earlier, is noticeable after rebooting.
Is there some kind of a "user control" in areas that aren't fully covered by a mobile provider, so that my connection may drop due to non using the phone? (It happens normally while phone is sleeping) And is it possible that my Legend, 2.2 stock btw, just isn't very accurate when it comes down to displaying the current connection speed? - to mention your point of a quicker HSDPA loss on gingerbread.

greetings

marlar

Feb 18, 2011
I also have the Sense constantly restarting. It is really, really, REALLY annoying!

It happens about 50% of the times when I return to the home screen from any app, even the browser.

Has any of you tried uninstalling the Gingerbread update? Don't even know if it is possible, though.

fongkit82

Sep 23, 2009
beside the above bugs. the missing pictures bugs also affects my sound files. i can't change my ringtone or alarm tone. it will change back to the default ringtone every few hrs as the sound files went missing on my sd card. has to do a sdrescan to get it back. but few hrs later it will go missing again & ringtone either be empty or back to default.

selimsel

Dec 5, 2009
I also have the Sense constantly restarting. It is really, really, REALLY annoying!

It happens about 50% of the times when I return to the home screen from any app, even the browser.

Has any of you tried uninstalling the Gingerbread update? Don't even know if it is possible, though.

yeah it drives me crazy too. Any chance to downgrade easily before update?

Incanity

Apr 17, 2008
IJmuiden
I've had the exact same bugs as described above, it drove me insane.
after 3 days or so i was fed up with it and downgraded and installed Virtuous 2.0. the bugs are gone and i've got a stable, rooted phone.

has anyone tried to contact HTC about these bugs? I myself was too lazy to write an email.. :p

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [..]Sadly, I have now experienced another bug related to the hardware keyboard after updating to 2.3 - today it happened for the second time.
    When typing in Whatsapp and the SMS app (and possibly other apps) using the hardware keyboard pressing "S" will open the SMS app, pressing "G" will open Gmail and pressing "B" will open the built-in browser (not Dolphin HD which is set to default). This is fixed by a reboot (temporarily, it seems). Incidentally, the bug disappeared just now without a reboot while checking if it was also present in Gmail.[..]

You can try this:
    Originally Posted by Snotmann
    If i type a "S" in a SMS, on the hardware keyboard, i get the message that the SMS will be saved and the screen went back to the SMS Overview.

Did someone have the same issue ?
    Have had this happen to me before. Fix it by doing this:

Settings -> Applications -> Quick Launch -> Delete all shortcuts

Also [..] restart just to be on the safe side.
    No guarantees but it might work.
    @Kueber;

Craig
    Anyone with the old Market got the Sense restarts? (so that we could exclude it)

I never got the update to the new Market, so we can exclude this.
    I got tired of the whole thing and jumped into downgrading and rooting my DZ. Apparently I downgraded it to become a myTouch 4G Slide, lol! Now running Virtuous Doubleshot 1.1.6b with a few mods. Couldn't be happier :)

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using XDA App
    Hi there, I did look at your post, and you seems as frustrated whit the whole thing as I am, however the downgrading guide start with

"This guide is for anyone who has a "Stock Gingerbread" Rom on a G2, Desire Z, or myTouch 4G phone, allowing them to downgrade to the original Stock Froyo Rom."

my gingerbread is not stock is with "#@*&^$&* sense" and I was not sure that would work.

I'm so sick of this I would try anyway.

thanks

Stock in this case means the stock Gingerbread release with HTC Sense. I had the same as well but am now running Virtuous Sense 2.0.0 which is warmly recommended if you like Sense. It's basically the same ROM as stock minus the buggyness ;)