FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Q&A] Ubuntu on the Transformer (eMMC install)

1,339 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,043

By lilstevie, Senior Recognized Developer on 29th July 2011, 06:11 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
29th July 2011, 12:59 PM |#11  
OP Senior Recognized Developer

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by poltak11

Ah lovely idea with the PPA. When new 3.2 based Prime gets released, I'll try to get a few hours to myself to get this all working together.

Just a few quick questions first:
How do your scripts change the eMMC layout? Does eMMC work the same as a standard HDD/SSD partitioned with a GPT? As in, have you made separate partitions for Android and Ubuntu, or is it somehow shared?
And also related, how much room will it take up on the eMMC (as I've only got a 16GB TF)?
And finally, since you've been using yours at uni running Ubuntu, have you got any idea of the battery life running Ubuntu? I'm assuming it'd be pretty similar to stock, but yeah the battery indicator wasn't working last time I was playing around with Ubuntu from the microSD. Also, does the second keyboard battery work?

The second battery does work, unless you get one of those dodged ones that just randomly stops charging which happened to me, with the dock connected and the battery in it refusing to charge my battery lasted 6 hours.

the layout is different to standard, UDA(User DAta partition) is 4.2GB smaller than what it was, so you have 9.99gb for android and 4.2 for ubuntu, the kernel and recovery kernels are moved up to the end of the flash as well so that they are accessible through /dev
The Following User Says Thank You to lilstevie For This Useful Post: [ View ]

29th July 2011, 05:51 PM |#12  
Thanks Meter: 67

More
Just finished installing it. Yea, from internal memory it's working much faster. ~20 second boot time!(I didn't have timer with me, so I counted in the head) That's like my laptop with SSD + 10 second bios booting. With a dock it feels like a true netbook. I think I'll even dare to test c/c++ IDE on this thing. Good job!

Used online timer. It's 21 seconds.

Hmm how do I start wifi? eth0 is not even showing in the list of devices.
29th July 2011, 06:15 PM |#13  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by aligatro2010

Just finished installing it. Yea, from internal memory it's working much faster. ~20 second boot time!(I didn't have timer with me, so I counted in the head) That's like my laptop with SSD + 10 second bios booting. With a dock it feels like a true netbook. I think I'll even dare to test c/c++ IDE on this thing.

Used online timer. It's 21 seconds.

Hmm how do I start wifi? eth0 is not even showing in the list of devices.

Sorry forgot to mention in the first post, firmwares are not included in this release due to potential licensing issues, you can push the wifi firmware via adb to /lib/firmware and also the nvram, they are located in /system/vendor/fw_bcm4329.bin and /system/etc/nvram.txt on your android system, the module will autoload on boot once you have the firmware in place, and the interface will be named wlan0
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lilstevie For This Useful Post: [ View ]
29th July 2011, 06:27 PM |#14  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilstevie

Sorry forgot to mention in the first post, firmwares are not included in this release due to potential licensing issues, you can push the wifi firmware via adb to /lib/firmware and also the nvram, they are located in /system/vendor/fw_bcm4329.bin and /system/etc/nvram.txt on your android system, the module will autoload on boot once you have the firmware in place, and the interface will be named wlan0

nvram.txt to /etc right? I copied them straight from android partition, but it still doesn't load. Could it be because of the bcm4329_sta.bin or nvram should be placed in /lib/firmware ?

It works now.
29th July 2011, 08:06 PM |#15  
Thanks Meter: 312

More
So basically we will be able to dual boot Windows 7 and Android?
29th July 2011, 09:39 PM |#16  
Thanks Meter: 21

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by liorry

So basically we will be able to dual boot Windows 7 and Android?

No, Windows 7 doesn't have arm version. Windows 8 maybe in future, long future ....
The Following User Says Thank You to stark0 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift stark0 Ad-Free
29th July 2011, 11:49 PM |#17  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by aligatro2010

nvram.txt to /etc right? I copied them straight from android partition, but it still doesn't load. Could it be because of the bcm4329_sta.bin or nvram should be placed in /lib/firmware ?

It works now.

the wifi firmware should be called fw_bcm4329.bin and nvram.txt should be in /lib/firmware, I probably should have been a little clearer, but I posted that just before going to bed, and was a little tired
30th July 2011, 12:16 AM |#18  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilstevie

the wifi firmware should be called fw_bcm4329.bin and nvram.txt should be in /lib/firmware, I probably should have been a little clearer, but I posted that just before going to bed, and was a little tired

"bcm4329_sta.bin" was already there before I even copied 2 modules and it was also loaded as module when I did modprobe. (not 100% sure about the second)That's why I thought it was conflicting with android's modules.
30th July 2011, 12:31 AM |#19  
XDA Labs & Feed Dev/RD
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 11,187

More
Wow, great work! Can't wait to try it.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using XDA Premium App
30th July 2011, 12:52 AM |#20  
Retired Senior Moderator
Flag ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) Y U WANT MY LOCATION?
Thanks Meter: 699

More
I've probably missed something obvious.. But I get this.
Quote:

file not found: linux.img
failed executing command 2147483647 NvError 0x4
command failure: create failed
rm: cannot remove `linux.img': No such file or directory

After like 5 minutes of NvFlash installing stuff.
30th July 2011, 12:58 AM |#21  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDeadCpu

I've probably missed something obvious.. But I get this.

After like 5 minutes of NvFlash installing stuff.

which script are you using, I may have a mistake, the linux.img is meant to be runtime generated
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)