Losing battery life while phone is idle

Search This thread
Mar 24, 2011
I have as strong of a signal as you can get and my battery usage is still 50% cell standby. battery lasts about 5 hours.

I tried custom roms but then my phone has random reboots 5-10 times a day. even while underclocked.

Sent from my anus.

mbrown3460

Aug 16, 2009
Thanks for the advice everybody. Rooting is not an option for me. I don't have the time to read up on that. I have a very hetic work schedule. How is juice defender? I thought Juice defender just disables your data when the screen is off?

POQbum

Jan 18, 2011
Thanks for the advice everybody. Rooting is not an option for me. I don't have the time to read up on that. I have a very hetic work schedule. How is juice defender? I thought Juice defender just disables your data when the screen is off?
Yep juice defender basically lets you pick what services to turn off during certain periods of time or certain applications/actions.

Honestly I find it to be a huge pain and never used it.. rooting with a custom Kernel/ROM is substantially better, but after rooting this phone I can say it's definitely a little frustrating and took me some time to get it done so I can see why you may not want to.

Another option is to try out a program called "tasker" which is much more specific. It pretty much has any combination you can think you (like once you open up a certain app, it will turn your data on, or GPS, vibrate mode, higher brightness, a specific music volume-- and once that app is closed it will turn it back off if you choose, or it will change the value to a different volume. OR if you turn the screen off it will turn off all data, GPS, etc- I think you get the point.
But this too would take some time to configure it to how you like it.

Last edited:

sonami

Nov 12, 2010
Losing 5%/hour is normal for my phone when it's sitting doing nothing. The battery is a joke. I have Juice Defender Ultimate and that brings it down to maybe 2-3%/hour.

Nooooo it is not! I can go 10 hours and only loose 2% and that's from missed call/SMS/vm's
If your looosing anything in standby something is eating your battery. Try turning off assisted dialing, tell HTC and phone finder. Those are usually pretty big culprits in eating battery while in standby

Sent from my TBolt using my f***king thumbs...

mbrown3460

Aug 16, 2009
Yep juice defender basically lets you pick what services to turn off during certain periods of time or certain applications/actions.

Honestly I find it to be a huge pain and never used it.. rooting with a custom Kernel/ROM is substantially better, but after rooting this phone I can say it's definitely a little frustrating and took me some time to get it done so I can see why you may not want to.

Another option is to try out a program called "tasker" which is much more specific. It pretty much has any combination you can think you (like once you open up a certain app, it will turn your data on, or GPS, vibrate mode, higher brightness, a specific music volume-- and once that app is closed it will turn it back off if you choose, or it will change the value to a different volume. OR if you turn the screen off it will turn off all data, GPS, etc- I think you get the point.
But this too would take some time to configure it to how you like it.

thanks will look into it!

mbrown3460

Aug 16, 2009
Nooooo it is not! I can go 10 hours and only loose 2% and that's from missed call/SMS/vm's
If your looosing anything in standby something is eating your battery. Try turning off assisted dialing, tell HTC and phone finder. Those are usually pretty big culprits in eating battery while in standby

how do I turn off assisted dialing, tell htc and phone finder? Would that mess up any settings?

sonami

Nov 12, 2010
how do I turn off assisted dialing, tell htc and phone finder? Would that mess up any settings?

No it won't mess anything up, assisted dialing is in the phone settings, and phone finder is in locations I believe, I don't remember where tell HTC is, somewhere in the settings, just look for it. I just never turn it on during the initial setup when it asks

*edit

Ahh, I uninstalled tell HTC with titanium backup, that's why i couldn't find it in settings, lol. I uninstalled everything I don't use with TB

Last edited:

jappetta99

Mar 2, 2010
I was having similar issues to some where I would lose 2% within a half hour of unplugging my Tbolt, and then be down to 10% about 12 hours later with light use!

I am rooted, so I don't know if there is a way to do this stock, but I recently did this which has drastically improved battery life to where I am down to only 82% after 6 hours of moderate use (calls, Angry Birds, YouTube).

• Fully charge your phone
  • While still on the charger, I rebooted into recovery and reset/wiped my battery stats
  • Used the phone heavily to get it almost dead
  • When the phone auto shuts off near death, I booted into recovery
  • Leave phone alone to fully die as recovery leaves the screen on and doesn't turn off
  • After phone dies, fully charge again before use

After doing this, my battery life was greatly improved. Nothing else changed.

sonami

Nov 12, 2010
I was having similar issues to some where I would lose 2% within a half hour of unplugging my Tbolt, and then be down to 10% about 12 hours later with light use!

I am rooted, so I don't know if there is a way to do this stock, but I recently did this which has drastically improved battery life to where I am down to only 82% after 6 hours of moderate use (calls, Angry Birds, YouTube).

• Fully charge your phone
  • While still on the charger, I rebooted into recovery and reset/wiped my battery stats
  • Used the phone heavily to get it almost dead
  • When the phone auto shuts off near death, I booted into recovery
  • Leave phone alone to fully die as recovery leaves the screen on and doesn't turn off
  • After phone dies, fully charge again before use

After doing this, my battery life was greatly improved. Nothing else changed.

So bassically all this did was wipe your batt stats, which is what you should do anytime you flash a rom/kernel/radio/backup. The best way I've found to go about it is to charge till the phone is full, green light. Unplug, turn phone off and plug back in, wait till green light again, the longer this takes, the more ****ed up your batt stats are btw. Once it turns green, hold down low vol button and press power button, hold low vol till recovery boots. Wipe batt stats, reboot. Keep plugged in till phone boots and syncs and light turns green. Unplug and use till batt is. >5%, turn off batt saver to do this. Charge till full and that's it.

jappetta99

Mar 2, 2010
Sounds essentially like the same idea, yeah. I do wipe everytime I flash, but I never did it while fully charged and plugged in so it probably didn't help. I was getting down to 5% after a very light day before where now I am at 50% after Angry Birds, YouTube, phone calls, texting, surfing, etc by the end of the day.

Another way to extend your battery is toggle off 4G if you are not using it. Staying on 3G most of the day is a huge help if your battery life is that bad.

sonami

Nov 12, 2010
Yea, I only use 4g if I don't have wifi available and I need to dl something big, otherwise 3g works just fine

crazed_z06

May 17, 2009

You only loose 2% in 10 hours? Sorry, but I dont believe this.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yep, backing this guy up. The battery has it built in where it'll cut off the charge after it's full- and android has it that after it reaches 100% it'll let it drain down to ~90% because keeping it at 100% for extended periods of time is bad for the battery health.

For those more interested in your phone's battery and how charging works, check out this post:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=871051

----
    If you're losing battery life when you're idle you have a few main reasons.

- First check to make sure you have a low min. set for your CPU, you don't want to have your CPU rev'd all the way up all the time- it's just not good.

- Download "spare parts" and check under "battery history" and you'll be able to see if you have a lot of GPS usage, data usage, CPU usage, etc.

- I'm not sure if mobile data turns both 4G and 3G off. I know the 4G here totally demolishes the battery, even more if you don't have it in your area.

If you don't have 4G and would like to save your battery from a painful death, do this (easy to change back)
    *#*#4636#*#* -- Go to "Phone Settings" >> change to "CDMA auto (PRL)"
    This will turn off 4G and stop it from searching, while still allowing you to use 3G and not have to turn off all data.

Hope at least one of those points helped you out and hope you get some better life because that's pretty bad, shouldn't be normal.