Can this Root Droid 3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Deodexed

Sep 14, 2010
USA
I do not have a Droid 3 yet, But I am considering it. What came to mind was the fact that root is not established yet, as far as I know. This makes me want to take a run at it, they were the best days when I use to work on the hack for Droid X.

But before I start playing around with a new device, I was wondering if anyone has tried this? And also I am wondering what other apps and methods have been attempted?

http://www.techofweb.com/technology/root-android-gingerbread-gingerbreak.html

nerdslogic

Nov 13, 2010
Oregon
Gingerbreak tried and failed
Z4Root tried and failed
Superoneclick tried and failed
Doroot tried and failed

that is just what I tried and I am no "pro rooter" like some others.

dpwhitty11

Aug 15, 2010
Houston, TX
To my knowledge, no 2.3.4 device has been fully rooted yet (for the exception of the nexus).
I could be wrong, though. Completely, totally wrong.
But nothing out there can get us root. That im sure of.

Sent from my DROID3 using XDA App

sparkyman216

Nov 4, 2010
Gingersnap restated my phone. And that am I root app. Says when I select advanced details it says I am root but all the su files say permission denied.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

nerdslogic

Nov 13, 2010
Oregon
Gingersnap restated my phone. And that am I root app. Says when I select advanced details it says I am root but all the su files say permission denied.

So...it kinda worked? Maybe that is something to work off of. Sounds like you got farther than anyone else. I would start a thread or something titled "Gingersnap reports successful root on Droid 3" so others can see and maybe expand upon it.

dpwhitty11

Aug 15, 2010
Houston, TX
So...it kinda worked? Maybe that is something to work off of. Sounds like you got farther than anyone else. I would start a thread or something titled "Gingersnap reports successful root on Droid 3" so others can see and maybe expand upon it.
....Yeah, no. If it "kinda worked", he would have temproot.

Sent from my DROID3 using XDA App

ovelayer

Mar 19, 2011
spokane
Well right now we dont have a sbf but they just released a rooted gb for the droid x2 so shouldnt be long for us

tcrews

May 4, 2010
android.snkbitten.com
Well right now we dont have a sbf but they just released a rooted gb for the droid x2 so shouldnt be long for us

This release has no relationship to the Droid 3 getting root sooner or later unfortunately. This is updating Froyo to Gingerbread (and 2.3.3 at that) and since Froyo was easily rootable, they used a rooted device to pull the update that was OTA and then rooted the update. Rooted devices with custom recoveries (which the froyo based DX2 had) can install unsigned .zip files....so you can install the rooted "update.zip" and have Gingerbread with root.

None of this applies to the Droid 3 because we started at Gingerbread (and 2.3.4 too which is even more difficult to root) and no custom recoveries (because root will have to happen first).

elkay

Apr 6, 2005
github.com

faylix

Sep 8, 2009
Boston
No, this is with the bootloader still locked and 2.3.4 already installed. Here's the full discussion. Second post is the method from the wiki. I already asked if the original creator of the exploit was on the thread and could say whether we would be able to use the same method with the D3.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1138204

I'm guessing you meant couldn't say.

What we need is a list of bootloader verisions and exactly what is being installed here with this update. Our bootloader is 0A.03 I don't know what the atrix is.

I also don't know exactly what its being overwritten here... how or how make copys of the things being replaced. *sigh*

any chance we coudl use a program like RDlite or backup our bootloader before we go ahead and write all over it... ?

this is close guys... 2.3.4 has been rooted on its own and now its just a matter of time before it makes it s way to us!

- faylix / local

cellzealot

Jan 4, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
I took a look at the file and it's very possible something similar could be devised for the D3, but we need the SBF file so that the preinstall partition can be pulled from it to use.
The Atrix devs have all of those files and tools available to them already, which is why they were able to create this kind of exploit.

If we had SBFs and an engineering device available to us this would have all been done very quickly on the D3 too. Unfortunately, so far we don't have either.

Reactions: faylix

faylix

Sep 8, 2009
Boston
cellzealot;16200770 If we had SBFs and an engineering device available to us this would have all been done very quickly on the D3 too. Unfortunately said:
We have the SBF for an engineering device don't we.... we spoke on PM about someone who had this...

sparkyman216

Nov 4, 2010
This is what I got after gingersnap.

Congratulations! You have root access!

Superuser.apk - com.noshufou.android.su - version 2.3.6 is installed!

Standard su binary location: /system/bin/su: No such file or directory

Standard su binary location: /system/xbin/su: No such file or directory

Alternate su binary location: /sbin/su: Permission denied

Root user id: Root not properly returning its user id

Root group id: Root not properly returning its group id

tcrews

May 4, 2010
android.snkbitten.com
su is root, that's the Super User account.

SuperUser.apk is just an app to let you control what apps can access "su".

You can have root without SuperUser.apk

You can't have root without "su"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm getting so antsy for root :p
    TeamBlackHat, where are you...

Sent from my DROID3 using XDA Premium App

Just want to make it clear that TBH has a lot of resources and experience with Motorola devices and we understand the firmware and access tool very well. We also have engineering devices for many older models, which allows us to play around safely and to use clever tricks to root successive builds for phones that already have a rooted build to start from.

We do not have any special skills for gaining root on a new device without an exploit, despite the fact that we understand how the process works.

We will be here to help however we can and hope some of our experience will be useful, but don't want to foster any false expectations. We have some leads for the SBF file that so far have not produced results, unfortunately.

We will keep trying...

There are a lot of very sharp folks working on this and that is what it's going to take to succeed...there is no magic bullet.
    Here's all our mounts, not that it'll help but may give some indications of where to look...

rootfs / rootfs ro,relatime 0 0

tmpfs /dev tmpfs rw,relatime,mode=755 0 0

devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,relatime,mode=600 0 0

proc /proc proc rw,relatime 0 0

sysfs /sys sysfs rw,relatime 0 0

none /acct cgroup rw,relatime,cpuacct 0 0

tmpfs /mnt/asec tmpfs rw,relatime,mode=755,gid=1000 0 0

tmpfs /mnt/obb tmpfs rw,relatime,mode=755,gid=1000 0 0

none /dev/cpuctl cgroup rw,relatime,cpu 0 0

/dev/block/system /system ext3 ro,noatime,nodiratime,barrier=1,data=ordered 0 0

/dev/block/userdata /data ext3 rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,nodiratime,errors=continue,barrier=1,data=ordered 0 0

/dev/block/cache /cache ext3 rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,nodiratime,errors=continue,barrier=1,data=ordered 0 0

tmpfs /data/tmp tmpfs rw,relatime,size=2048k 0 0

/dev/block/pds /pds ext3 rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,nodiratime,errors=continue,barrier=1,data=ordered 0 0

/dev/block/preinstall /preinstall ext3 rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,nodiratime,barrier=1,data=ordered 0 0

/dev/block/vold/179:1 /mnt/sdcard-ext vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,uid=1000,gid=1015,fmask=0702,dmask=0702,allow_utime=0020,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0

/mnt/sdcard-ext /mnt/sdcard-ext ecryptfs rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,ecryptfs_sig=965d636a1919f059,ecryptfs_cipher=aes,ecryptfs_key_bytes=32,ecryptfs_passthrough,no_new_encrypted 0 0

/dev/block/vold/179:57 /mnt/sdcard vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,uid=1000,gid=1015,fmask=0702,dmask=0702,allow_utime=0020,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0

/dev/block/vold/179:57 /mnt/secure/asec vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,uid=1000,gid=1015,fmask=0702,dmask=0702,allow_utime=0020,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0

tmpfs /mnt/sdcard/.android_secure tmpfs ro,relatime,size=0k,mode=000 0 0

/mnt/sdcard /mnt/sdcard ecryptfs rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,ecryptfs_sig=965d636a1919f059,ecryptfs_cipher=aes,ecryptfs_key_bytes=32,ecryptfs_passthrough,no_new_encrypted 0 0

/dev/block/dm-0 /mnt/asec/com.dgo.VitalPlayer-2 vfat ro,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,relatime,uid=1000,fmask=0222,dmask=0222,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
    one of the ones i thought might work was www.exploit-db.com/exploits/8673
    we'd need to precompile the .c file that it creates & then executes in the line beginning with "echo\" (just after the includes), and convert the shell code. it may have been patched in our kernel, but we wont know unless we try it, right?

i thought there was another one, but i cant seem to find it any more

Don't bother - this vulnerability has been patched, I verified this in the available kernel source.

Hi, I'm the original author of the full-nelson kernel exploit linked earlier (the one that leverages Econet). To be clear, that exploit will not work on this phone because it requires causing an OOPS to trigger an exploitable condition, and this kernel has panic_on_oops enabled, meaning the kernel will not continue running in such a scenario.

Rooting this device is going to take more work than just browsing exploit-db and hoping to find an exploit that works. There are no public exploits, kernel or userland, that will work on the kernel shipped with this phone.

I'm willing to invest some time into auditing the Android application stack and kernel to find a suitable vulnerability that can root the device (I do this professionally). I don't have access to a physical device, so in the event that I find a usable vulnerability, I may need a hand in actually testing exploit code. I also won't refuse a donated test device. ;-)
    I CAN ALMOST GUARANTEE ROOT IF ANYONE CAN SOLVE THIS PROBLEM:

File 'fileX' needs to contain 2 cmds (ex - cmd1...;cmd2... aka - cp file /dir; cp file2 /dir) such that you can do the following in terminal and both commands run:

EDIT: when i say contains.. it shoudl be a simple txt file that all it has in it is the 2 'cp' cmds

Code:
    testing=`cat fileX`
    $testing

if you can answer this.. then i should be able to provide root.

Thank you.