[Themes] [Sense 3.0] [QHD] Default HTC Themes w/ Fixed NavBar

Search This thread

binarybulge

One of my bigger WTF moments when I started using Sensation/Sense 3.0 was the home screen's NavBar. It looked like crap. To most people it's evident why: it's jaggy and non-transparent. It doesn't look nearly like how it was intended to look. Want proof? Go into the skin browser and look at the previews for skins like HTC and Blue Sky... even in the preview window, the NavBar looks quite different.

I looked around for a fix, but I didn't find anything that adequately addressed the issue, in my opinion. A lot of people have figured out ways to force the NavBar to be transparent. This kind of works, but it doesn't fix the jagged edges and poor quality of the original image.

So I went to work on my own. I first noticed that the lock screen has a PERFECT NavBar image. THAT'S how it should look on the home screen. After a bit of hacking and learning how Sense 3.0 themes work, I figured out how to get that perfect lock screen image showing up on the home screen.

The fruit of my efforts so far is located at:
http://binarybulge.com/android/skins/sense3/sensation

You can download and install the APK's directly, then load them using the built-in skin chooser. Keep in mind these are Sense 3.0 QHD only. If you don't have a QHD (960x540) Sense 3.0 device, like Sensation or Evo 3D, don't bother.

I've also included a /notes folder describing exactly how I fixed the issue. This is only for general curiosity. YOU DON'T NEED TO LOOK THERE TO BE ABLE TO INSTALL THE THEMES. It could, however, help someone fix the skins for lower resolution devices (like 800x480).

Finally, I made the status bar jet black, because that's the way I want it. If you don't like it that way, feel free to insert your own status bar image. It's in the APKs' res/drawable-hdpi folders as statusbar_background.png.

Here's how it looked before (as seen in the stock Blue Sky skin):

before.png

Here's how it looks in my fixed bluesky.apk:

after.png

Better, no? Now we don't have to wait for HTC to fix it. :)

Last edited:

vincepg13

Jul 23, 2011
Nice man! I use the green skin from HTC hub, if you could fix that up would be great

Edit: its called spaceship Earth

Sent from my HTC Sensation using XDA App

Last edited:

vincepg13

Jul 23, 2011
Unfortunately until the m10tools guys can decipher the new image type (14) used in that Skin, I can't really get anywhere with it. :-/

Oooh ok pal no problem because thinking about it the navbar looks good as it is, because of the greeness the jaggedness is not that noticable

Sent from my HTC Sensation using XDA App

nicky041192

May 31, 2010
Can anyone put the original notification bar back? :)

Also, you should change the navbars from the stock skins and add in the straight navbars :D

binarybulge

Can anyone put the original notification bar back? :)

Also, you should change the navbars from the stock skins and add in the straight navbars :D

Thanks Nicky, maybe I'll add some variants, at least for the notification bar(s). I initially wanted to keep the scope of this thread/project narrow (just fixing what I saw as problems with the stock skins), but I think I can throw you a bone. ;-D

Can you give me an example of a straight navbar? I've seen some custom skins w/ them so I assume that's what you're talking about, but I wanted to make sure. Again, I'm not sure I want to stray too far from stock.

nicky041192

May 31, 2010
Thanks Nicky, maybe I'll add some variants, at least for the notification bar(s). I initially wanted to keep the scope of this thread/project narrow (just fixing what I saw as problems with the stock skins), but I think I can throw you a bone. ;-D

Can you give me an example of a straight navbar? I've seen some custom skins w/ them so I assume that's what you're talking about, but I wanted to make sure. Again, I'm not sure I want to stray too far from stock.

I want this navbar :D http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1168270

Possible to make it show that straight navbar on the homescreen AND the lockscreen?

I love the Blue Sky theme. So when you press the buttons on the navbar make it turn blue? Just like the normal curved navbar.

Do this just for me? hehe :p

I'd like to do all of this myself but I'm not that knowledgeable in the theming side of Android. I prefer theming iOS :p

I see a lot of Sense 3.0 themes and I want a bit of each. Nothing "perfect" for my taste XD

Last edited:

binarybulge

I want this navbar :D http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1168270

Possible to make it show that straight navbar on the homescreen AND the lockscreen?

I'd like to do all of this myself but I'm not that knowledgeable in the theming side of Android. I prefer theming iOS :p

I see a lot of Sense 3.0 themes and I want a bit of each. Nothing "perfect" for my taste XD

Gotcha. I know exactly what you mean. I like that straight navbar too, but the skin changes far too many other things (I don't dig the square widgets).

If I get a free moment and can do something for you I'll let you know. I think it's out of scope with regards to this project. ;-)

Edit: Come to think of it, I really like the "Espresso" navbar from MyTouch 4G Slide. Have you seen it? What are your thoughts? I'd really like to see that navbar ported to S4G.

nicky041192

May 31, 2010
Gotcha. I know exactly what you mean. I like that straight navbar too, but the skin changes far too many other things (I don't dig the square widgets).

If I get a free moment and can do something for you I'll let you know. I think it's out of scope with regards to this project. ;-)

Edit: Come to think of it, I really like the "Espresso" navbar from MyTouch 4G Slide. Have you seen it? What are your thoughts? I'd really like to see that navbar ported to S4G.

I'm not a massive fan of the square widgets either XD.

I just want the navbar. I can live the the square widgets.

EDIT: and nope. I don't pay attention to the other forums apart from the devices I own :L

I also wonder why HTC haven't released any skins with straight navbars. I believe they did for Sense 2.1...

Last edited:

Shizophren

May 13, 2009
Are you still theming the original HTC Theme with the green marker? I'm looking for that :)

reckoner_85

Apr 12, 2011
Cairo
THANKS! excellent work really, this should've been the first thing I saw when I first had the phone, would've made a way more better first impression :) I still can't understand why HTC shipped it the way it was.

Last edited:
Reactions: scanny

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    One of my bigger WTF moments when I started using Sensation/Sense 3.0 was the home screen's NavBar. It looked like crap. To most people it's evident why: it's jaggy and non-transparent. It doesn't look nearly like how it was intended to look. Want proof? Go into the skin browser and look at the previews for skins like HTC and Blue Sky... even in the preview window, the NavBar looks quite different.

I looked around for a fix, but I didn't find anything that adequately addressed the issue, in my opinion. A lot of people have figured out ways to force the NavBar to be transparent. This kind of works, but it doesn't fix the jagged edges and poor quality of the original image.

So I went to work on my own. I first noticed that the lock screen has a PERFECT NavBar image. THAT'S how it should look on the home screen. After a bit of hacking and learning how Sense 3.0 themes work, I figured out how to get that perfect lock screen image showing up on the home screen.

The fruit of my efforts so far is located at:
    http://binarybulge.com/android/skins/sense3/sensation

You can download and install the APK's directly, then load them using the built-in skin chooser. Keep in mind these are Sense 3.0 QHD only. If you don't have a QHD (960x540) Sense 3.0 device, like Sensation or Evo 3D, don't bother.

I've also included a /notes folder describing exactly how I fixed the issue. This is only for general curiosity. YOU DON'T NEED TO LOOK THERE TO BE ABLE TO INSTALL THE THEMES. It could, however, help someone fix the skins for lower resolution devices (like 800x480).

Finally, I made the status bar jet black, because that's the way I want it. If you don't like it that way, feel free to insert your own status bar image. It's in the APKs' res/drawable-hdpi folders as statusbar_background.png.

Here's how it looked before (as seen in the stock Blue Sky skin):

before.png

Here's how it looks in my fixed bluesky.apk:

after.png

Better, no? Now we don't have to wait for HTC to fix it. :)
    Been trying for a while, can't change the dam status bar back to stock lol think it must be something to do with the way I'm handling the .apks just using 7zip. Mate id really appreciate it if you could upload a version with stock status bar, I know its not your preferance but I'm sure it'd be easier then giving me a guide on how to change it :p

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using XDA App

Here ya go
    http://www.multiupload.com/LQNZPZ4A70
    Are you still theming the original HTC Theme with the green marker? I'm looking for that :)

Soon. :)
    By popular demand, I present the fixed NavBars with the Stock Sense status bar. Also, I have renamed the package back to stock so you can push to /system/app without any issue or installed as any normal APK. Enjoy!

BlueSky APK : DOWNLOAD LINK
    Burgandy APK: DOWNLOAD LINK

Flashable Versions (Replaces stock system version, make sure you are NOT using either BLueSKy or Burgandy when you flash this, use any other skin temporarily)
    BlueSky - DOWNLOAD LINK
    Burgandy - DOWNLOAD LINK
    Oh and please do keep us up to date on the progress with the default skin (the one with the green marker)

Hoping to kick it out this weekend sometime. Just been in a mad scramble to make some money and pay the bills. :p