G2 Gingerbread OTA starts today

Search This thread

kingston73

Feb 8, 2011
I'm still learning things with android so forgive me if this is a stupid question. I downloaded the file and renamed it to update.zip, if I use my sd card to install this instead of waiting for the ota update will it reset everything? Am I basically following the same directions as Tmo has posted on their website to install it?

zkid2010

May 17, 2010
Spokane, WA
So currently, there's no known way to root this?

Not that I know of BUT, I might be able to revert it as I was the leak. This G2 has been gfree rooted so is always fake s-off. That has always let me reflash back to the 1.19 rom, then reroot.

This update still leaves me s-off so I'll test a revert to root but should work the same as the leaked versions.

My advice, do NOT flash this if you have not been gfree/s-off, you may not have a way back for some time.

ACHILLES R32

Dec 28, 2010
VA
Renamed the file to update.zip went to recovery and all i get is a red triangle with exclamation point. What am i doing wrong?

zkid2010

May 17, 2010
Spokane, WA
Someone for the good of the thread remind people how to use the factory recovery to flash
a stock G2 with this file being called update.zip on the SD card? It's been a long time since I did it on my G1 :D

- copy to root of sdcard
- power down G2
- hold vol-down and power until bootloader screen, boot recovery should be one of the options or it might scan the .zip and let you apply update from there.

Reactions: kingston73

adudeduh

Nov 7, 2009
trying to flash the update.zip and i get a huge error followed by
"E: error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip(status 7)" WHHAATT??? lol i'm running2.3.3 leaked and I'm not sure what's going on here. any ideas?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Rename the file you download to update.zip and place it on the root of the SDCARD. Then use the factory recovery to apply the update.
    Now I've been mostly nice in this thread and being logical. I'm also aware nobody HAS to do anything for us.

That being said...

Why are people that come to read this thread not even bothering to run aLogCat????

Seriously. If you're coming to this forum, you probably have an understanding beyond the general public about your device. By now, many people should be running aLogCat. Why are so many people posting they have it yet not providing URLs? And is there not some way to go BACK into the log? I mean it IS a FILE is it not?

Also for those of you thinking this is some bull**** that doesn't really exist, go join the people who keep talking about other conspiracy theories. The update exists. It's just being rolled out very slowly.
    Too bad you didn't run aLogCat before the update downloaded, we'd have the url now.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using XDA App

yeah, so instead in 5-10 min you'll have a dropbox or mediashare url. waaaaa :D
    Try this URL for the direct download:

http_colon_slash_slash_android.clients.google.com/packages/ota/tmobile_g2/f4d11a64d2df.OTA_Vision_Gingerbread_S_TMOUS_2.15.531.3-1.22.531.8_release_197463.zip

It worked for me.