Screen quality

Search This thread

Beknatok

Dec 1, 2008
Chicagoland Burbs
I thought the display was fine, and while I could see the screen door effect, only really noticed it while looking for it.

Then I installed a game where blue was a predominant color used in the background, Wisp Lite, currently featured on the Android Market. Anyone would immediately notice the screen door effect on the background, it was so obvious.

Mulling if this matters enough for me to consider returning it.

Question - what is your screen's brightness set at? I've read in other places that either upping or reducing your brightness will help to mitigate the screendoor effect. Mind giving that a shot and sharing your feedback?

mediawiz

Mar 13, 2010
SF bay area
Higher res means that you notice flaws...

OK... I'm a video guy (about 25 years in video, and most of that in video technology). I have seen many kinds of displays over the years, and heard lots of odd remarks from people who used them.

First, when HD TVs first came out, I heard a lot of people claiming that they looked worse than their old SD TV. That was becasue they were looking at an SD signal on an HD TV, and the enhanced resolution of the HD TV meant that they could now see all the flaws (blocky pixels and picture noise) in the SD signal. I also heard some people say that Plasma TVs looked better than LED or LCD TVs. That only seemed true if you were looking at an image (signal) with a lot of color noise in it, becasue the Plasma screens can not display as many colors (as LCD or LED), so you would not be able to see small bits of color noise within the image.

The display on the Photon is A) much higher resolution than most other phone displays. That means that if you are looking at a relatively low res background image, or you have an app running on your phone that has fairly low res graphics, you will see all the flaws in the image. Also B) the Pentile display supports a greater contrast ratio than most other phone displays, so you will notice subtle changes in color (like an image being a bit pale in some areas) on that display, as opposed to other display types.

What all this means is that if you switch to a phone (or TV or whatever) that has a higher res, you need to get new background images, and look for apps that support the new resolution.

codee

Jun 14, 2010
Twin Cities
OK... I'm a video guy (about 25 years in video, and most of that in video technology). I have seen many kinds of displays over the years, and heard lots of odd remarks from people who used them.

First, when HD TVs first came out, I heard a lot of people claiming that they looked worse than their old SD TV. That was becasue they were looking at an SD signal on an HD TV, and the enhanced resolution of the HD TV meant that they could now see all the flaws (blocky pixels and picture noise) in the SD signal. I also heard some people say that Plasma TVs looked better than LED or LCD TVs. That only seemed true if you were looking at an image (signal) with a lot of color noise in it, becasue the Plasma screens can not display as many colors (as LCD or LED), so you would not be able to see small bits of color noise within the image.

The display on the Photon is A) much higher resolution than most other phone displays. That means that if you are looking at a relatively low res background image, or you have an app running on your phone that has fairly low res graphics, you will see all the flaws in the image. Also B) the Pentile display supports a greater contrast ratio than most other phone displays, so you will notice subtle changes in color (like an image being a bit pale in some areas) on that display, as opposed to other display types.

What all this means is that if you switch to a phone (or TV or whatever) that has a higher res, you need to get new background images, and look for apps that support the new resolution.

That is a very good way to explain it to people, thank you!

Sent from my MB855 using XDA Premium App

manekineko

Jul 26, 2009

If this were the explanation for the problem, you'd expect you'd hear this complaint from all users of qHD screens, like say the Evo3D. Instead, this is largely confined to PenTile displays.

manekineko

Jul 26, 2009
Question - what is your screen's brightness set at? I've read in other places that either upping or reducing your brightness will help to mitigate the screendoor effect. Mind giving that a shot and sharing your feedback?

You're right, I tried and the screendoor effect is much, much less noticeable on low brightness.

Djspinister

Jul 13, 2010
Dallas
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Don't really understand what you guys are talking about, I think the screen looks fantastic. Ya'll some picky mf'rs, lol. If you want a super nice screen go buy a mitsubishi/sony plasma or something. If you're using this as your tv or main video game system then I think something is wrong with you.

I think this screen looks way better than the Evo/Evo3d (which I owned for 2 months, and Evo for over a year) and so does everyone I have showed it too. Not sure what you guys are on about, I read the Pentile display threads and blogs and I think it is a very cool technology. But those that don't know, just don't know.

Like one of the previous posters, this display is a lot better than most other phones, we just don't have the software/games or the like to put it to a challenge.

Give it a bit, I bet you change your mind.

-DJ

Reactions: foxsdaddy67

scoobdude

Jan 8, 2008
First off with the plasma's not showing as many colors, do you have a link to that? From all the info I have they are the truest to the RGB standard as LCDs cannot reproduce green correctly. Love to hear your input on that thanks. PM me if you want to keep this thread clean and I am seriously just looking for more information.

Back on topic. What the OP sounds like he is decribing is "Black Crush" which can be fixed via software. Here is a link that shows some pics. Sorry i can't find more talking about the specific term black crush. But one thing i can say is it usually happens now with HD broadcast, blu rays and HD video games since now they are using all 256 steps of grey instead chopping off the top and bottom steps and putting them as 1 (only giving you 230 steps if i recall of grey)

Pics: http://www.tomsguide.com/us/the-westinghouse-lvm,review-830-2.html

Also please list the source of the images you are seeing do this. Netflix can look like crap, bump it up to 4G and its much better as it increases the resolution and ups the color spectrum information.

whatsitsnamenow

Aug 10, 2010
California
First off with the plasma's not showing as many colors, do you have a link to that? From all the info I have they are the truest to the RGB standard as LCDs cannot reproduce green correctly. Love to hear your input on that thanks. PM me if you want to keep this thread clean and I am seriously just looking for more information.

Back on topic. What the OP sounds like he is decribing is "Black Crush" which can be fixed via software. Here is a link that shows some pics. Sorry i can't find more talking about the specific term black crush. But one thing i can say is it usually happens now with HD broadcast, blu rays and HD video games since now they are using all 256 steps of grey instead chopping off the top and bottom steps and putting them as 1 (only giving you 230 steps if i recall of grey)

Also please list the source of the images you are seeing do this. Netflix can look like crap, bump it up to 4G and its much better as it increases the resolution and ups the color spectrum information.

This is exactly the problem I see on the screen. I can't make out anything in black. It is just too dark. Its great to know that it can be fixed via a software. But how do we get Motorola to acknowledge that it is a problem so that will actually fix it?

sb283

Oct 25, 2009
The following pictures are NOT animated, but they look like they are. I wonder if you guys who do no complain about the screen can see that effect. To me, the Photon screen looks the same. The pixels are "dancing". When I make an effort, I can see that they are not moving in one spot of the screen I am looking at, but they start dancing in another spot...

wheels.gif

spinner3.gif

ZiggSVO

The following pictures are NOT animated, but they look like they are. I wonder if you guys who do no complain about the screen can see that effect. To me, the Photon screen looks the same. The pixels are "dancing". When I make an effort, I can see that they are not moving in one spot of the screen I am looking at, but they start dancing in another spot...

wheels.gif

spinner3.gif

What do you mean dancing? The first image when viewed on my epic shows some of it movng...but isn't that the point? These are optical illusions are the not?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App

diomark

Jan 24, 2007
I like the screen..

not as sharp as the evo 3d that I was playing with.. (but then again, I returned that phone as the battery drained way too fast (and usually with "DISPLAY" as the culprit) while screen was on..

Better (in my opinion) then the evo 4g screen..

Not as good as amoled screens, but then again, I can actually see it outside.

-mark

panamakid

May 6, 2007
no complaints here, colors are a bit different, but really? can you really tell the difference?

I dont think they wouldve released the phone if red looked pink.

maybe i'm blind, but I do seem to see the sharper screen and great brightness

sb283

Oct 25, 2009
What do you mean dancing? The first image when viewed on my epic shows some of it movng...but isn't that the point? These are optical illusions are the not?

Yes, these pictures are optical illusions. I mean that I can see see similar effect on the Photon's screen displaying anything, not these pictures :)

I can see pixels, and these pixels are moving (when they are not). Different people have complained on that on multiple forums, including this one. Some people are lucky because they do not see that.

I do not see this effect on both Evo 4g and Evo 3D screens (and I have never seen it on any other phone either). Quite disappointing, I was going to buy this phone.

scoobdude

Jan 8, 2008
This is exactly the problem I see on the screen. I can't make out anything in black. It is just too dark. Its great to know that it can be fixed via a software. But how do we get Motorola to acknowledge that it is a problem so that will actually fix it?

First we need to find out what the content is. Let us know what the source material is so more people can test it and see if the results are similar. If its a movie file, have you tried using a different player such as rock or mobo?

sjjones

Jun 26, 2010
theres nothing wrong with screen may be as somebody else said, people being extremely picky, coming from evo 4g and 3d, theres no noticable difference

Alex210

Jun 30, 2010
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I think the screen looks great, but color is kind of dull when I hold it next to my Evo 4G.

Anyone want to try out this wallpaper and tell me how it looks? I wanted to use it for my lockscreen, but on my photon the background is black. Other colors seem fine so I was wondering if it was just my phone.

Attachments

• wallpaper-186599.jpg
    wallpaper-186599.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 142

A2CKilla

Feb 22, 2011
the display on mine is amazing!!! compared to my OG evo, and epics i've used in the past, i really love the photon screen, everything is so much sharper and more "richer"

whatsitsnamenow

Aug 10, 2010
California
First we need to find out what the content is. Let us know what the source material is so more people can test it and see if the results are similar. If its a movie file, have you tried using a different player such as rock or mobo?

Its the Star Trek Tv series. I have tried rockplayer, moboplayer, vital player, and the default player with no noticeable difference. Here is a link to a few snapshot I took of the video. http://s175.photobucket.com/albums/w159/fithos_bucket/Photon%20vs%20Evo/
The first 9 shots are from the Photon. The next 6 from the Evo 4G. The last pic show them side by side with their brightness turn all the way down. Believe it or not that is the lowest brightness on the Photon (right). Notice the brightness of the faces. Also note how dark the shirt is on the female. On the Photon is looks like the black is actually bleeding.

These next set of photos are from an episode of Law and Order. The first 2 pics are from the Photon and the last 2 are from the Evo 4G. http://s175.photobucket.com/albums/w159/fithos_bucket/Photon%20vs%20Evo%2002/

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Higher res means that you notice flaws...

can you please share with me whats so cool about this technology? thanks

Jump over here and do some reading:

http://pentileblog.com/

One thing that is kind of cool, is that the CEO actually replied to (and blogged about) an AndroidForums thread discussing the P4G screen. Spend some time reading that thread for even greater detail about the merits of the Pentile screen.

Granted, it's the CEO of Pentile, so obviously they have a bit of a bias... but she also offers fascinating technical insight behind the technology as well.

Don't really understand what you guys are talking about, I think the screen looks fantastic. Ya'll some picky mf'rs, lol. If you want a super nice screen go buy a mitsubishi/sony plasma or something. If you're using this as your tv or main video game system then I think something is wrong with you.

I think this screen looks way better than the Evo/Evo3d (which I owned for 2 months, and Evo for over a year) and so does everyone I have showed it too. Not sure what you guys are on about, I read the Pentile display threads and blogs and I think it is a very cool technology. But those that don't know, just don't know.

Like one of the previous posters, this display is a lot better than most other phones, we just don't have the software/games or the like to put it to a challenge.

Give it a bit, I bet you change your mind.

-DJ
    If you dont like the screen, go back to Sprint and get a different phone. End discussion.