Huawei Ideos U8150 Recovery Guide

Search This thread

Kalwar

Jul 12, 2011
Karachi
It's an app on market but you'll have to buy it. When you'll install it you'll come to know how to flash recovery.

Sent from my Ideos using XDA App

Reactions: ammarabbasi
Good day people,
I hope u all r doing well. The reason to disturb u all is that I need help in flashing a custom recovery (clockworkmod) on my ideos 8150 by zong. What I want to ask is that how to find ideos U8150 in the devices' list? Which version of rom manager do we have to use to do so?
Your co-operation will be highly appreciated. :)
Thanks in advance.

Muru11

Sep 10, 2011
Help plz..cant boot into recovery!

I have tried to boot my phone into recovery using all the methods above, but i cant..
the phone hangs at the first screen with the ideos logo on it..takes forever!
when i paste the recovery files on the system/bin it does paste on it but when i try flashing it says file not found. plz help!:confused::confused:

hjerkic

Aug 20, 2011
I have tried to boot my phone into recovery using all the methods above, but i cant..
the phone hangs at the first screen with the ideos logo on it..takes forever!
when i paste the recovery files on the system/bin it does paste on it but when i try flashing it says file not found. plz help!:confused::confused:

I have same problem, people please help
Thanks in advance

netskink

Nov 6, 2011
Various problems with procedure in detail

Method 1

6. After that enter the command "flash_image recovery /system/bin/recovery.img" (again without the quotes)

I do not have the command "flash_image" present on my device firmware.

Method 2
2. Navigate to the folder /clockworkmod/download/mirror.sea.tdrevolution.net/cm/recoveries/ (create the folders if they are not already there)
As others have previously said, the current version of clockworkmod v4.8.0.2 does not use this scheme. It appears that everytime you press the "Flash clockworkMod Recovery" button it downloads and flashes a new file. The file does not go into a directory. Instead the clockwork mod directory /mnt/sdcard/clockworkmod/download contains two files. One is "-2110140792" and a rom file. If you choose to select "huawei u8220/u8230" from the list, it pulls additional files.

I looked at the smaller, initial file there named -211... it is an xml file. It has an u8150 listed, but the entry for alternate_recovery is missing. I edited the file so that the url for the recovery image at clockworkmod.com was present. I did a few other edits as well to make it look similar to Dell Steak and Geeksphone One so it might appear in the list of available recovery images generated by clockworkd mod recovery button. Unfortunately, it does not show up. It appears that the reason why it does not show up is that the .xml file is pulled down fresh everytime the button is pressed and thus overrites the modified xml file.

Method 3
Well this blows for me because clockworkmod installed a dell streak or u8220 recovery image. So, now when I boot into recovery mode it fails to unpack the boot image. Even if I use a dos command shell with the android sdk and drivers installed, c:\>fastboot flash recover recovery.img simply says <waiting for device> My understanding is once you execute this command you need to boot the device into recovery mode and if the first stage loader runs it will then determine if a usb host for images is present.

Sadly, I have a rooted phone and a working android OS but it is currently unable to flash an alternate recovery image or root image.

netskink

Nov 6, 2011
which partitioni to use if you want to dd a recovery image

Hi

My recovery image is either missing or screwed up. When I enter recovery mode, it fails on unpacking image 1/2. Does anyone know which partition contains the recovery image? I would like to copy the image to this partion using dd command. ie., dd if=untrajack-recovery.img of=/dev/block/XXX

John

netskink

Nov 6, 2011
dd commands, still did not fix.

Well, I did a cat /proc/mtd and saw that mdt1: is listed as recovery. So, I did dd if=recovery.img of=/dev/mtd1

and still it says Firmware Update step 1/2 unpacking, update failed.

---------- Post added at 12:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:20 PM ----------

From the adb shell, I can issue reboot recovery and it will enter a recovery mode. I can flash a zip from sdcard.

netskink

Nov 6, 2011
Word of thanks and conclusion

Hi,

I worked behind the scenes with the author of root toolbox to get flash_image on my phone.

http://lukemovement.wordpress.com/

The first copy of flash_image I retrieved from the net was giving a signal and in dmesg it showed that the code was executing an illegal exception. That exe was 18KB in size. I found another version of flash_image which was 26KB. That version would work. Well, kinda of work. It would flash a recovery image but when I booted into recovery mode with red power button it would hang with the step 1/2 update failed message.

Then I worked with ultrakiller of this board behind the scenes to boot into the other boot loader. Its also the huawei bootloader but its accessible via the green button. He told me that it allows you install unsigned .zips. Well, i tried droix but it would not work. I was able to finally get Gingerman-v7 to work. I pulled the file from here

http://ideosdevteam.blogspot.com/2011/08/gingerman-v7-has-been-released.html

The ideos 8150 boots to cyanomod and works. FWIW, I also worked with harlem88 and simock85 on irc #hacklabproject.

Many thanks

John

evought

Dec 6, 2011
Problems with flashing recovery image, two methods

Well, I am having problems similar to some of the others with both method #1 and method #2. I have a U8150A (T-Mobile Comet) and have rooted it using Z4Root.

1) First I tried method #2 by installing ROM Manager from the market and selecting "Flash Clockwork Mod Recovery". There is no "Huawei U8150" in the device list. After reading here, seeing that others have had this problem and finding no workarounds, uninstalled ROM Manager.

2) Tried method #1.

* Installed Terminal Emulator from the market.

* Downloaded the current Clockwork Recovery ROM for the Huawei U8150.

* Opened Terminal Emulator

> su
[ granted root permissions]

> mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system

[To make /system writeable - I am not certain the device numbers are the same on every phone; to anyone trying this, check the device by issuing the "mount" command with no options and scanning the list, but it does get around needing Root Explorer if you are familiar with Linux administration.]

>mount
[To verify that /system was now read-write]
[snip...]
/dev/block/mtdblock4 /system yaffs2 rw,relatime 0 0
[snip...]

> cat /sdcard/recovery*.img >/system/bin/recovery.img

[To copy the image into /system/bin/]
> flash_image recovery /system/bin/recovery.img
flash_image: not found

!!! So method #1 fails as well. Thoughts? Is it a PATH issue? Where is this flash_image supposed to be?

> mount -o remount,ro /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
[To put /system back the way it was...]

Last edited:

evought

Dec 6, 2011
Method #2 Flashing success

OK, since my last post, I found a copy of flash_image here: (#$^!!@ won't let me include links) . The file command on Linux identified it as a 32-bit ARM executable, so I copied it to the sdcard next to the recovery image from: (#$^!!@ won't let me include links) .

I have succeeded in flashing the image (we'll see if it works in a moment...). My procedure now becomes the following:

Open Terminal Emulator on the phone:

Code:
1. #  su
2. $ mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
3. $ cat /sdcard/recovery.img >/system/bin/recovery.img
4. $ cat /sdcard/flash_image >/system/bin/flash_image
5. $ chmod 0700 /system/bin/flash_image
6. $ hash -r
7. $ mount -o remount,ro /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
8. $ flash_image recovery /system/bin/recovery.img
9. $ reboot

Line 2 is explained in my previous post. Line 4 copies the new executable to /system/bin and line 5 makes it executable only to root. The UNIX/Linux 'cp' command is not available to the shell on the phone, so cat and an output redirection copies each file. The hash command searches the path for new executables.

I have found that the change of the system partition back to read-only at line 7 must happen before the flash_image or the write fails. No idea why. The flash_image completed with no errors or output of any kind and the phone rebooted successfully.

I am starting to get the hang of working in the shell on the phone. It's disturbing, actually. My first UNIX box was a 486SX/25 16MB RAM and 120 MB hard drive running Slackware Linux back in the Paleocene. I had access at the time to a dual processor SPARCStation running Solaris and the Math Department's NeXT Cube for work on my thesis, both of which I shared with a dozen people. The U8150, a tiny, low-end Android device, has more processing power, RAM, and much more storage than any of those machines.

Reactions: deligoz

Kernel ranger

Dec 27, 2011
OK, since my last post, I found a copy of flash_image here: (#$^!!@ won't let me include links) . The file command on Linux identified it as a 32-bit ARM executable, so I copied it to the sdcard next to the recovery image from: (#$^!!@ won't let me include links) .

I have succeeded in flashing the image (we'll see if it works in a moment...). My procedure now becomes the following:

Open Terminal Emulator on the phone:

Code:
1. #  su
2. $ mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
3. $ cat /sdcard/recovery.img >/system/bin/recovery.img
4. $ cat /sdcard/flash_image >/system/bin/flash_image
5. $ chmod 0700 /system/bin/flash_image
6. $ hash -r
7. $ mount -o remount,ro /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
8. $ flash_image recovery /system/bin/recovery.img
9. $ reboot

Line 2 is explained in my previous post. Line 4 copies the new executable to /system/bin and line 5 makes it executable only to root. The UNIX/Linux 'cp' command is not available to the shell on the phone, so cat and an output redirection copies each file. The hash command searches the path for new executables.

I have found that the change of the system partition back to read-only at line 7 must happen before the flash_image or the write fails. No idea why. The flash_image completed with no errors or output of any kind and the phone rebooted successfully.

I am starting to get the hang of working in the shell on the phone. It's disturbing, actually. My first UNIX box was a 486SX/25 16MB RAM and 120 MB hard drive running Slackware Linux back in the Paleocene. I had access at the time to a dual processor SPARCStation running Solaris and the Math Department's NeXT Cube for work on my thesis, both of which I shared with a dozen people. The U8150, a tiny, low-end Android device, has more processing power, RAM, and much more storage than any of those machines.

This is the code I thought killed my phone but traced it to a corrupt recovery.img and not the code. It truly works as you say coz its what I use for both ultrajack and clockworkmod .img files, For the links, it doesnt help anyone to read the jibberish that you have posted, just simply post : -

ht tp://www.m ediafire.com/?ivqg0bcintwdids for the image amongst other files and
ht tp://www.m ediafire.com/?h2yefcfsbwssdro for the executable flash image file

The smart guys will figure out this links in no time

Last edited:

waseemashraf

Mar 13, 2012
need help with backup

I have u8150. I successfully flashed recovery image. Then i reboot into recovery mod and try to backup my current ROM, unfortunately it get stuck on some random file. I have tried many times but every time it stuck to a different file.

mShoaib

Apr 14, 2011
the only time when CWM wasn't working (installing roms or backing up) for me was when I flashed the recovery (wanted to update from v3.0.2.4 to 5.x.x.x) for U8160 coz Rom Manager wouldn't give me an option for U8150.

So this is what I did:
I was able to flash Fusion Ideos rom successfully, then I used rom manager and this time it showed U8150 and I was back with CWM 3.0.2.4

since then ive decided to not update my CWM... if its working, why should I?

and now enjoying the MIUIdeos rom, whcih I've found to be the best for my U8150 till now :D

tayyeb

Jul 7, 2008
Riyadh
www.flickr.com
Recovery gone

the only time when CWM wasn't working (installing roms or backing up) for me was when I flashed the recovery (wanted to update from v3.0.2.4 to 5.x.x.x) for U8160 coz Rom Manager wouldn't give me an option for U8150.

So this is what I did:
I was able to flash Fusion Ideos rom successfully, then I used rom manager and this time it showed U8150 and I was back with CWM 3.0.2.4

since then ive decided to not update my CWM... if its working, why should I?

and now enjoying the MIUIdeos rom, whcih I've found to be the best for my U8150 till now :D

Hi,
I had ultrajack and flashed U8160 CWM recovery through CWM rom manager. Now I can't go into recovery. Is there anything i can do to get back the recovery?

Thanks.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Many people seem to be having a lot of trouble flashing recoveries for their Ideos so I figured I would write this thread because I haven't found any other guides for flashing U8150 recoveries.

Method 1

1. Install Terminal Emulator from the market.
    2. Install Root Explorer from the market.
    3. Download the recovery of your choice and copy the recovery.img to your sd card. (if its not named recovery.img rename it)
    4. With Root Explorer, navigate to where the recovery is and copy it to /system/bin/ (remember to select mount as R/W first in order for it to copy.)
    5. Open Terminal Emulator and enter the command "su" (without the quotes)
    6. After that enter the command "flash_image recovery /system/bin/recovery.img" (again without the quotes)
    7. That's it, the recovery has been flashed. Reboot in recovery to confirm.
    8. Once you've confirmed the recovery flashed properly remember to delete the recovery.img from /system/bin/ (using root explorer, and mount as R/W)

Method 2
    I find this method much easier because you don't have to go through the trouble of installing drivers. Also you don't need to connect your device to your PC. Your device needs to be rooted though. If your device isn't rooted simply download z4root from the market and root it.

1. Download and install ROM Manager from the market.
    (If you simply want to flash the latest working ClockworkMod Recovery and not an older version or UltraJack skip to step 6.)
    2. Navigate to the folder /clockworkmod/download/mirror.sea.tdrevolution.net/cm/recoveries/ (create the folders if they are not already there)
    3. Delete any files in that folder.
    4. Download the recovery you want to use from the recovery links below. Unzip the file. Rename the "recovery.img" file to "recovery-clockwork-3.0.2.4-ideos.img". (See note below)
    5. Copy the renamed "recovery-clockwork-3.0.2.4-ideos.img" into the recoveries folder (/clockworkmod/download/mirror.sea.tdrevolution.net/cm/recoveries/)
    6. Open ROM Manager and select Flash ClockworkMod Recovery. It will bring up a list of devices, just scroll down until you find Huawei U8150 Ideos and select it.
    7. ROM Manager will flash the recovery image for you and you're done.
    Now you have a working recovery. To test select Reboot into Recovery from ROM Manager.

Since you are renaming the recoveries remember to keep track of which recovery is currently in the recoveries folder.

Note: recovery-clockwork-3.0.2.4-ideos.img is the name of the latest ClockworkMod Recovery in rom manager at this time (28/04/2011). If it is updated and I haven't updated the thread, change the name of the recovery to the latest version.(i.e if the latest recovery is ClockworkMod 3.0.2.5, rename the img to recovery-clockwork-3.0.2.5-ideos.img instead of recovery-clockwork-3.0.2.4-ideos.img)

Method 3

Installing Drivers
    Windows 7:
    Download and install PDANet. That should install the drivers for you.

Alternatively, you could download the drivers and install them manually. First download the drivers for your OS from here.
    Drivers Windows 32-Bit Mediafire Multiupload
    Drivers Windows 64-Bit Mediafire Multiupload
    Connect your device(you don't need to turn on USB storage) then open device manager. Right click on your device and select properties, select the hardware tab and then select properties. Select the drivers tab, then select Reinstall/Update Driver. Choose the option (Browse my computer for driver software) and select the drivers you just downloaded. (Extract the zip file first)

MacOS
    Download and install PDANet. That should install the drivers for you.

Linux
    Follow this guide by bloodychaos to get ADB working.

Flashing Recovery
    1. Once you have the drivers installed download the recovery of your choice from the links below.
    2. Extract the zip file and open the folder.
    3. Turn off your phone.
    4. Connect your phone to your PC.
    5. Reboot your phone in bootloader mode. (Turn it on while holding the Volume Down button and the End(Red) Key.)
    6. Run the install-recovery file/script for your OS found in the extracted recovery folder.
    7. Once it flashes your phone should reboot.
    N/B If you have trouble with the drivers or any other problems try Method 1.
    Now you have a working recovery. To test turn off your phone, then turn it on while holding the Volume Up Key and the Green(Call) Key.

Recovery Links

ClockworkMod 3.0.2.4 (by marcnvidic)
    Download Mediafire Multiupload XDA Thread
    UltraJack 6.2.2 (by Ultrakiller)
    Download Mediafire Multiupload XDA Thread
    ClockworkMod 3.0.1.(by udK)
    Download Mediafire Multiupload

Credits
    marcnvidic, Ultrakiller, udK for making the recoveries. bloodychaos for the Linux ADB guide. Koush for ROM Manager. f1ng3r for pointing out the terminal emulator method.
    All other Ideos devs who've helped me along the way because I picked up a lot of this info from random threads.
    Thanx for the quick reply, i ended up using method 3.

Just one thing about method 3, the batch file doesn't exist in the ClockworkMod 3.0.2.4 (by marcnvidic) link as it's only an .img file. So i simply downloaded the ClockworkMod 3.0.1.(by udK) zip file, and replaced the image with the newer 3.0.2.4 after unzipping it.

Thank you for the guide, i've successfully flashed clockworkmod, and backed up the phone. now all i have to do is choose a ROM.

which ROM do u suggest???

cheers,
    Simon

That was the official link from marcnvidic, the multipuload & mediafire mirrors should have the batch files. Anyway, for the rom I would suggest FUSIONideos or Dronix 0.4, there's a poll somewhere on this forum and those are the most popular, Gingerman V4 is also pretty good but I wouldn't suggest it as your first rom because its still relatively new and is still being improved so it isn't perfect as a daily use rom yet. I switch btw fusion & gingerman, but I can tell you fusion is pretty stable. One thing to note however, if you are not using gingerman or another cyanogenmod port, I would suggest using clockworkmod by udK as your recovery, cwm 3.0.2.4 has some issues making backups of other roms.
    That means the recovery didn't flash correctly. Are u sure u selected the right phone from the rom manager list. Try flash recovery again. But first u need to delete everything in the clockworkmod/download directory on the sd card. Or if you know how to, just delete the recovery image in that folder.
    It shuld not be force closing. Maybe rom manager has a problem. Try reinstalling it. If that doesn't work I suggest trying one of the other methods to flash the recovery.
    For method 3 try running the bat file first then when it shows you the waiting for device message turn on the phone in bootloader mode.