FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[2017.08.02] DSLR Controller v1.05

11,217 posts
Thanks Meter: 86,013

By Chainfire, XDA Ad-Free Senior Moderator / Senior Recognized Developer - Where is my shirt? on 4th August 2011, 12:41 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
5th August 2011, 03:35 PM |#41  
Retired Recognized Developer
Flag Me!burn
Thanks Meter: 29

More
Tested this earlier today and can confirm that it is working nicely with GalaxySII and 550D. Compared with the amount of time it would take me to make android application which does half of what this one already does, $8 is nothing.
The Following User Says Thank You to zehro For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift zehro Ad-Free

5th August 2011, 03:45 PM |#42  
Texas
Thanks Meter: 0

More
this looks incredible. unfortunately, my use for dslr is video recording. but it'd be a great asset to use with my nook color, which has USB host. which would also mean it would need to lag just a little bit less to be more applicable, but i DO plan on purchasing when video becomes available! Great Job!
5th August 2011, 04:07 PM |#43  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
bummer about the 1DsM2 being firewire only
5th August 2011, 04:07 PM |#44  
OP Senior Moderator / Senior Recognized Developer - Where is my shirt?

Donate to Me
More
Well, that went around the globe a lot quicker than expected, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZuneLune

Some really nice updates in the beta! I have seen greater stability and manual mode is working much better!

For the first time, I have access to the AF button and can focus using those. That is a big step forward. I had it stop responding once, but after restarting, it worked great.

Question, not sure if this is a current limitation or if i am not doing something right. When I choose to magnify the image, it zooms in the rectangle box. Is there a way to move that box around the screen, like on the liveview of my camera when zooming?

Glad to hear this version is working better for you. Still baffled why auto-focus doesn't work for you, but I've seen others report similar things in this thread. Really need to figure that out

Tap-and-hold on the screen (over 1 second) should move the focus/zoom rectangle in live mode, and the zoom rectangle in quick mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by faarao

I have Canon EOS D1000 and Notion Ink Adam running AdamComb 0.3 custom Honeycomb ROM. Software said that USB host mode not supported on my device, although it should be . Too bad, because I was very exited about this software Maybe my camera and device could be added to next update? And if I can be any help, I would be glad to do so.

Interesting. I will be releasing a free app to help test compatibility ASAP. It will give some more info about your setup. It could be related to the custom ROM... I do believe the Adam can read USB memory sticks and such, right ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjornlc

I realy hope you make it work with nikon cameras, I have a nikon d60 so i would not get livewiev. but just to be able to remote triger would be nice plus reviewing the taken photo on the fly. right now the built in gallery in android works, it reconises the camera and shows me the pictures on it. But if i take a new shoot i have to exit out of the gallery to get it to show me the new photo.

Various entries in the FAQ (post #4) answer this question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimkagfx

Got 10" Acer Iconia A500 tablet, Canon 50D. Could I connect my camera to an ordinary USB port this device has, and use your software?

I suspect so, but I'm not sure. Perhaps you should wait until I release a USB host compatibility checker program. Or you could simply get it now, run it, and it will complain if it cannot find the USB host Android parts. In which case you can refund (and let us know!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazar617

this is great! Found it on Android Police I believe.

Is there a reason this beta is a paid app?

Also, do you think its possible to do something like this on a Nikon? I'm not asking you to do it (I mean,unless you wanted to), but just wondering if there's hope... my D80 may be too old for it anyway, but it'd be awesome either way.

Great work, congrats on this getting out to the public so quickly!

Various entries in the FAQ (post #4) answer this question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dglockitt

I may be wrong but from the list of cameras supported so far, they are all new EOS models that have the live view feature. I suspect the application may not work with older EOS models. Has anyone got it to work with a 1D Mark2N?

This is still an unknown
5th August 2011, 04:12 PM |#45  
Flag Pittsburgh
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire

Well, that went around the globe a lot quicker than expected, lol.can refund

Did you see it hit Gizmodo today, too? I kept saying whoever developed this app first was going to revolutionize DSLR/App life. Our photog friends who always rave about their IOS stuff can stick this in their ipad and smoke it!
The Following User Says Thank You to TheZuneLune For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift TheZuneLune Ad-Free
5th August 2011, 04:15 PM |#46  
Thanks Meter: 116

More
Cool
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkhs9412235

The price will go up once v1.0 is reached, but the upgrade is free for those who have this BETA???

Why can't I see free version?

Because it's good software and the developer deserves to get paid. Beta doesn't mean it's not valuable, it means that the software isn't very mature or well tested. if you want it now, you pay. If you want to pay once it's well tested and proven then wait.

Either way, quit your sniveling people. This is an AMAZING deal at that price. If you can afford a DSLR and know how to use it, you can afford 10 times this and would gladly pay it. If you think otherwise, you likely don't need this software to begin with and have nothing to complain about.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rainabba For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift rainabba Ad-Free
5th August 2011, 04:18 PM |#47  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalepa

Awesome news!

I'de pay dearly to get 8+ bracketed shot on my 7d! Do you have more information on how your bracketing works?

I have almost 1000 photographers following me on g+ and i would like to report some HDR and long exposure controls.

Also, you should team up with HDR camera plus app and do the HDR merge on the android phone!

Dan
Canon 7d and a lg g2x gingerbread

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZuneLune

If you can add more than 3 brackets shots, that would totally rock. At sunset, you often need a lot more than 3 to get the full range of light.

Bracket mode currently works exactly the same as on the camera. It actually sets it on the camera.

When I get around to scripting and timelapse support, I suspect you will be easily able to do what you want, which as I understand it is as follows:

- Set Exposure Compensation to X
- Take a picture
- Wait for some time
- Set Exposure Compensation to Y
- Take a picture
- Wait for some time
.... etc ...

You can replace Exposure Compensation with whatever, Aperture, Shutter Speed, etc if needed.

I'm not a pro photographer (hardly even an amateur) so if you want specific features, explain them in as much detail as possible to make sure I understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeski27

Got it up and running on my GTab 10.1 + 50D, but weird thing that I've noticed has to do with the tap-the-screen auto focus. I have "Live" selected for auto focus type, and when you first start the program and try an auto focus by tapping the screen it works. However, if you move the the focusing window to another part of the viewing area and try to refocus, it simply doesn't work, doesn't do anything. It basically gives you one autofocus per session, and to do any further focusing you have to do so manually (and by that I mean using the "<<" ">>" focusing toggles). Anyone else have this happen?

Also, Ive noticed that regarding the selection of auto focus type, it only lets you make one selection per session - so if you switch from Quick to Live, you can't switch back again unless you restart the program.

Phenomenal app otherwise though, massive potential! Just with my Nexus One had an easier-to-understand set of directions for setting up USB host (it is possible, but I have yet to find instructions that are even remotely easy to understand, and so far Cyanogen has yet to incorporate this into a rom )

That is an odd issue, which I suspect is related to TheZuneLune's problems with focus. I believe somehow something goes wrong which puts the camera in the "waiting" state. When in this state, some commands work, others do not. If you actually take a picture, does it work again (once) ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeski27

On other suggestion that I think would be huge for tablet users - would it be possible to allow the app to rotate as the screen/tablet does? For the Xoom or GTab 10.1, the USB or other connectors are on the bottom, and it would be vastly more convenient to be able to rotate the tablet so that one's cable connections come out of the top rather than the bottom. Most apps have this ability, so I think its fair to say that it should be an easy and much useful tweak.

It is currently locked to landscape mode and it should remain so, however I will be looking into doing a 180 degrees flip (which would have the effect you are looking for, I think).

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr0wnest

Hey chainfire, this is a really nice app. My dad is a photographer and he would love to try this out, but unfortunately 8 bucks for a beta is a little too pricey. Hope you can release a demo version of some sort in the future!

As added to the FAQ, a demo version may be released after the app is fairly stable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrbjr

+1
Mostly I'm looking for the ability to setup a sequence of photos for HDR.

Just for the record I'm using a canon 60D with a 3G Moto Xoom running stock 3.1 so far everything seems to work [limited testing].

I'd also like to see the ability to turn my Xoom upside down (so the USB cable is on the top) . Can you either honor the sensor or and a manual switch for orientation?

See my responses above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arich57

Why does market say the app is not compatible with Nook Color? They got host usb working on NC so I was really hoping to use it.

Maybe the Nook Color is not running Android 2.3.4 yet ? In either case, I'm not sure the Nook Color is even fast enough. Does anybody know which chipset it runs on ? A dual-core is a must have for DSLR Controller.
5th August 2011, 04:21 PM |#48  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
should be on engadet soon too
5th August 2011, 04:22 PM |#49  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxploration

Would love to see support added for Pentax DSLRs... While they don't support live view over USB, all recent models support remote control via USB. There are a few clients available on Windows / Mac / Linux, but nothing I've see yet for Android.

I may be looking into basic Pentax support in the future. Someone in my family happens to have one, so I may just look at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9100_it

no one for Nikon?!

Future!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzo353

Hi,

nice app! does it use libptp2 (h__p://libptp.sourceforge.net) ?

Lorenzo

Nope, this is 100% homegrown code.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aymara

That would be a great deal, but ...

... that's the point: Sales would go up drastically, if a time limited demo would be available, that demonstrates, that I don't waiste my money ... I'm pretty shure about that.
I have often enough seen software offers, that looked promising, but didn't convince me after a test.

To make it short ... some explanations and screenshots aren't enough to convince me to buy, not only in this case, but in general, so I hope to see a demo soon.

There may be a very limited demo version after we reach stable. It is highly unlikely to happen before that time, though.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chainfire For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th August 2011, 04:36 PM |#50  
Flag Ruhr Region
Thanks Meter: 17

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire

..., a demo version may be released after the app is fairly stable.

Think of this:

If you bring up a demo in Beta phase, you get more beta testers, which not only test the app for bugs, but also bring in new ideas and feature request. And more features mean a higher price and more profit

I remember, that the photographers at dpreview.com demand for pro Android photo apps for over a year now, be it RAW converter, remote control or photo editing.

So keep up the good work
5th August 2011, 04:39 PM |#51  
Flag Austin, TX
Thanks Meter: 5

More
This might be an ignorant question, but where can I buy a USB Host cable for my Samsung Epic (Sprint version of Galaxy S)? I could not find many hints despite googling, and I don't want to buy this app unless I know I have the right cable for my T2i (550d).
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)