Permanently disable android market update

449 posts
Thanks Meter: 46

By @Class, Senior Member on 17th December 2010, 04:28 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
18th December 2010, 02:28 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Have to agree with OP and Izkata, this is terrible from a usability standpoint; way too much scrolling and clicking to look at things like descriptions and comments on the details screen. Tabs just make more sense for that. Not to mention that when I'm browsing for apps, that curved upper section takes anywhere from 1/2 to 1/3 of my screen. Major fail on this one.

28th December 2010, 05:53 AM |#12  

More
The Android Market Automatically Updates ITSELF ...
The original question was how does one prevent ithe Market from updating itself.

There is a suggested solution for a rooted phone ... which someone has tried?

Is there a solution for a phone as yet unrooted?

xxos
28th December 2010, 05:59 AM |#13  
Flag Indiana
Thanks Meter: 434

More
I had trouble with the market update on my rooted Flipside so I uninstalled the updates and used Titanium Backup to freeze the Market Updater app. Did this a week ago and so far no adverse effects.

xxos, as far as I know there is no way to prevent the update on a non-rooted phone.
4th January 2011, 10:14 AM |#14  

More
As soon as I get over a certain natural nervousness I will be rooting my little beauty.

I like the idea of going straight to 2.3 and I like the idea of starting from a Sense-less base.

Any suggestions?

xxos

HTC Desire GSM 2.2
4th January 2011, 10:55 AM |#15  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxos

As soon as I get over a certain natural nervousness I will be rooting my little beauty.
I like the idea of going straight to 2.3 and I like the idea of starting from a Sense-less base.
Any suggestions?

Don't hijack threads

I run GingerVillain works fine except videorecording
6th February 2011, 01:09 AM |#16  
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 6,452

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvin02

I had trouble with the market update on my rooted Flipside so I uninstalled the updates and used Titanium Backup to freeze the Market Updater app. Did this a week ago and so far no adverse effects.

xxos, as far as I know there is no way to prevent the update on a non-rooted phone.

Thanks for the tip! Doing this you can keep the old Market, thus the Fast Web Installer from AppBrain still works
11th August 2011, 05:59 PM |#17  
Flag NY
Thanks Meter: 253

More
"pm disable com.android.vending.updater" should stop the market from auto-updating on you (You need to do this from a terminal session (or via adb shell) and you need to be rooted.
The Following User Says Thank You to dorqus For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dorqus Ad-Free
11th August 2011, 06:32 PM |#18  
Thanks Meter: 149

Donate to Me
More
I used bloat freezer to freeze the market updater and it worked fine. Also requires root

Sent from my Att Atrix 4g unlocked.
The Following User Says Thank You to d11dog11 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift d11dog11 Ad-Free
11th August 2011, 10:31 PM |#19  
Flag Central Kentucky
Thanks Meter: 1,191

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by d11dog11

I used bloat freezer to freeze the market updater and it worked fine. Also requires root

I guess $1 is worth you not typing pm disable?
12th August 2011, 06:34 AM |#20  
Flag Anchorage
Thanks Meter: 20,667

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by d11dog11

Sent from my Att Atrix 4g unlocked.

Just remember that once they are done with the upgrades the old versions will not work.
9th September 2011, 09:20 AM |#21  
Flag Poltava

More
But what is worse new market apk size is 7Mb, previous was only ~1.5Mb.
On my Gigabyte GSMART that is a problem.

I also had freezed market updater.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)