Votes: 240 9.3%

• Total voters
Search This thread

darckengel

Apr 13, 2011
Reactions: DonVito2020

gsw5700

Jan 31, 2011
Serious question, how does Damian GTO compare to latest Galaxian kernel?
Would appreciate a non-biased comparison...

Rahulrulez

Oct 18, 2010
India
I've updated my ROM to v3.0 JVR with Jetpack ROM Tool. It is supporting Multi Kernel, Multi Modem, Multi Theme feature :D

oceangreen

Jan 30, 2011

Not going to do a comparison though...
these are the options u have in Damian's kernel:

- Low memory killer minfree settings (20MB, 24MB, 32MB, 46MB, 60MB, 80MB or 92MB).
- Ext2, Ext4 and rfs file system.
- Backup/Restore.
- Root (installs Busybox and superuser).
- Theme support with cwm update script.
- Touchscreen sensitivity (Low, Default, high, super high)
- OverClocking (OC) 1200MHz, 1300MHz, 1400MHz and 1440MHz.
- Underclocking (UC) 800MHZ.
- Stagefright (on/off).

All this can be done in recovery...
Vry vry fast kernel despite its still on beta stage...

Last edited:

lgsshedden

not sure you will get an unbiased response but I would say if you are trying to decide on the "best" kernel, one indicator would be to read the thread and users issues with galaxian, what is working, what is not, what is "problematic" and then drop in on damian's and view the same.

I am far from unbiased, but for me the objective indicators of the best kernel include:
speed -- quadrant is not infallible but it is a useful benchmark, as is caffiene mark and AntTutu -- what are the kernel scores on average?
stability: are FCs rare and limited to one or two new users with residual issues from past installs? how is the kernel with a clean install on stock?
battery life and actual phone function
developer's clear understanding of what effect changes do and don't have on the phone
rationale for inclusion/exclusion of options
robustness
last: are problems inherent in the kernel or a result of "user" error and poor rom design? can other users assist in resolution easily?

pikachu01

Feb 2, 2011
Penang
Not going to do a comparison though...
these are the options u have in Damian's kernel:

- Low memory killer minfree settings (20MB, 24MB, 32MB, 46MB, 60MB, 80MB or 92MB).
- Ext2, Ext4 and rfs file system.
- Backup/Restore.
- Root (installs Busybox and superuser).
- Theme support with cwm update script.
- Touchscreen sensitivity (Low, Default, high, super high)
- OverClocking (OC) 1200MHz, 1300MHz, 1400MHz and 1440MHz.
- Underclocking (UC) 800MHZ.
- Stagefright (on/off).

All this can be done in recovery...
Vry vry fast kernel despite its still on beta stage...

-Every kernel has its own LMK settings integrated into it.
-Ext4 vs Ext2 all over again :(
- Backup and restore is in every CWM
-Root (Same)
-Theme support (same)
-Touchscreen sensitivity https://market.android.com/details?id=br.shop4apps.touchscreenbooster.com
-OC (Almost every kernel supports it, or use Tegrak OC)
-UC (Almost every kernel supports it, Tegrak OC as well)
-Stagefright (Breaks video for increase in Quadrant, pointless)

darckengel

Apr 13, 2011
-Every kernel has its own LMK settings integrated into it.
-Ext4 vs Ext2 all over again :(
- Backup and restore is in every CWM
-Root (Same)
-Theme support (same)
-Touchscreen sensitivity https://market.android.com/details?id=br.shop4apps.touchscreenbooster.com
-OC (Almost every kernel supports it, or use Tegrak OC)
-UC (Almost every kernel supports it, Tegrak OC as well)
-Stagefright (Breaks video for increase in Quadrant, pointless)

For the LMK settings you can choose in CWM the settings you prefer on Damian's.
The main point with his kernel is that you can't control OC/UV by standard apps, only by CWM menu and BLN notification is not included.
But it's the fastest and stable kernel i tested (just for the comparaison, quandrant scores > 3700 (without SF of course) at 1.3Ghz and stable).

Last edited:

pikachu01

Feb 2, 2011
Penang
Quadrant scores are established to be as useful as a bricked SGS. :)

And you can edit the LMK settings if you know a thing or two about init.d or you can use Supercharger to do that (Search that in the XDA).

And fastest/stable kernel is very subjective unless you have data to back it up, and no not quadrant scores :)

Reactions: royalgok

lgsshedden

Quadrant scores are established to be as useful as a bricked SGS. :)

And you can edit the LMK settings if you know a thing or two about init.d or you can use Supercharger to do that (Search that in the XDA).

And fastest/stable kernel is very subjective unless you have data to back it up, and no not quadrant scores :)

and what about Caffiene Mark or AntTutu? Are they about "as useful a bricked SGS?" .

There are a lot of people who don't know or wish to edit their own ini.d scripts. I get you don't like Damian or his work. OK, but stop being so presumptuous and arrogant. Not everyone agrees with you but that doesn't mean you have to be so negative.
Instead of pointing out the weakness of something, why not stress the relative advantages of whatever firmware you do favour.

I have tried a lot of ROM and Kernel. I was on Damian Kernel for a long time and I have used Tornado. I am probably as unbiased as one could be.

Here is what I have tried:

ROM:
SeeArms
Darky's 10.0, 10.1, 10.2
Ficeto JVP, JVR R2
Criskelo V72 to V75
Mar'ts V1
Tornado plus
Obviously stock Froyo and Gingerbread

Kernel:
Speedmod
Darkcore 2.4 to 2.9.3
TalonDev 0.2.1, 4.4.8 to 4.4.15
Semaphore JVQ 1.3.3
DamianGTO Alpha 1 to Beta 3 (All of them)
Tornado Beta 1 and 2
Galaxian SP2
Tegrak

For speed, Damain and Tornado cannot be beat, probably because it is on ext2. However, Tornado is still beta and it was not full stable because of the phone app. I see that Brotuck says he has fixed it now.

To gain speed one has to OC and thats what I am after. My phone will do 1.2 Ghz on all OC Kernel. Recently, I have been able to reach 1.3 with TalonDev 4.4.15 and Tegrak app. Can't reach higher than that. With Tornado I was able to run stable at 1.44 Ghz but again phone app was not stable.

IMHO, once it fully developped, Tornado will be hard to beat.
I have kept a log of my Quadrant scores and contrary to what people says its quite reliable provided you keep testing te same way all the time. For me I do the following:

- Kill all tasks
- Run 3 Quadrants in a row and take the best
- The first one is never the best, 80% of the time, the second one is the best.

My best Quadrant: 3569 (Tornado Plus,Tornado Beta 1 Kernell, ext 2, 1.44 Ghz)
Quadrant on TalonDev: 3226 (Darky JVR R2,TalonDev 4.4.15, ext 4, 1.3 Ghz)
Quadrant on DarkCore: 2573 (Darky JVR R2,DarkCore 2.9.3, ext 4, 1.2 Ghz)
Tegrak and Galaxian were both at about 3000

I am waiting for Tornado to get stable and then I will give it another go. It takes a while to flash Tornado because of the ext2 and because Damian is against 3rd party app to control the OC.

Take it for what its worth and please do not complain about what I wrote. I am an Engineer and I only learn from experience and testing. This is the result of a lot of trial and error and I have tried not to put any personal opinion in it.

One thing is for sure tough, a few months ago there was a lot of difference in the performance of these Kernel and ROM. The more people develop, the closer we get to the limit and there is less difference between Kernel performance.

:D

Last edited:

pikachu01

Feb 2, 2011
Penang
When trying to OC, look at the voltage settings associated with it. 80% of the time, OCing is stable on so and so kernel because the kernel dev increased the base voltage.

Yes, any SGS can OC up to 1.4 GHz given the right voltages, but a long term usage is impossible as it would degrade the hardware faster than you can melt cheese on a hot plate.

And Quadrant scores based on how much you can OC (1.2, 1.3, 1.4) is not a good benchmark. It's a known fact that 1.4GHz will be faster than 1.3GHz and so on. You can't really base it on that right?

Antutu, CF-bench (I forgot the equivalent for graphics benchmark)and other benchmarks are better than Quadrant. Try using that and perform another round of your tests.

And when you OC to 1.4GHz and call it stable while phone apps are unstable is unstable no matter how you call it.

I'm not against the kernel. The kernel is good as how I see it. I'm only against blatant assumptions being used as data and the ever "useful" argument of Quadrant scores which I still think it is as good as a bricked SGS

Last edited:

darckengel

Apr 13, 2011
I also made my little tests.
I tested Semaphore/Talon/Tornado.
I didn't test snails/galaxian, cause the 65fps feature is very buggy and leads ofter to be stuck at 49 so it's for me not an option to use them.
And Darkcore is not overclocked by default so i didn't test it too.

I took the same config for all of them:
- Tornado JVR Rom (odexed)
- Airplane mode
- 1.2Ghz max/min freq
- Wait after reboot that the phone runs normally
- Cleaning memory with Task Killer
- Ext4 filesystem

I used 3 Benchs: Antutu, Quandrant and SmartBench

Results:

Quandrant (3 times each pick best):

Semaphore: 2786, 3053, 3135
Talon: 2455, 2798, 2965
Tornado: 3084, 3175, 3231

Antutu (2 times each, average score):

Semaphore: 3349, 3250 => 3300
Talon: 3257, 3333 => 3295
Tornado: 3323, 3333 => 3328

SmartBench (3 tests, average score Prod/Game):

Semaphore: 1040/2737, 1083/2776, 1050/2744 => 1058/2752
Talon: 1075/2596, 993/2526, 991/2621 => 1020/2581
Tornado: 910/2771, 927/2782, 937/2761 => 924/2771

What we can say ...
That all of 3 are almost equal, there's not so huge difference between their performances with the same conditions, Talon seems to be a little under the others, but not for much...
Maybe Damian's is a little faster in graphics purposes (It's shown in the SmartBench test and can justify the difference in Quandrant scores).
So the choice will be for Semaphore if wou need BLN, UV easily, or Tornado if you want to have the fastest system (you can even use ext2). but you will not see huge difference if you don't go above 1.2Ghz.
For battery use, it's harder to define, but as Tornado doesn't let you UV step by step but only a general UV it could drain more battery, but i can't be sure of that.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts