By JJNutty, Member on 10th August 2011, 04:54 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
12th August 2011, 06:14 PM |#181  
Flag Ontario
Thanks Meter: 28

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestjsg

newbie question again...I did the kg3 upgrade no problem and also just downloaded the rooted kernel ...I understand I need to flash the zimage.bin with Odin but do I put it under pda,csc,phone or bootloader ?

i am in the same position and would love some detailed instructions as well. ive never used odin.

12th August 2011, 06:15 PM |#182  
Thanks Meter: 142

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestjsg

newbie question again...I did the kg3 upgrade no problem and also just downloaded the rooted kernel ...I understand I need to flash the zimage.bin with Odin but do I put it under pda,csc,phone or bootloader ?

Sent from my GT-I9000M using XDA App

put it as PDA
12th August 2011, 06:49 PM |#183  
Thanks Meter: 135

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by donpayman

It's just what i am looking for, is it possible to get this kernel.
Thanks in advance.

EDIT: With megaupload nuked files are now attached to this updated post: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=498

I tarred it up, not sure if that is necessary. (First time using megaupload hopefully it works [not anymore! follow the link above])

Just open Odin, put the tar file as PDA, put the phone in download mode, plug it in, wait for the box under ID:COM to go yellow and the 'added!' message and hit start. It will be done in a few seconds. Install superuser and busybox from the market to see if it works.

Like I said earlier it didn't work right away for me, superuser just FC'd on the first boot. Not sure if it was reflashing or rebooting that fixed it. Just a warning that some tinkering might be required.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to haloimplant For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift haloimplant Ad-Free
12th August 2011, 07:08 PM |#184  
Flag Vancouver and area
Thanks Meter: 38

More
Yeah I am totally underwhelmed on this one.... Battery is no better than my previous stock jl2 (which I had on trying to eliminate an issue I was having) and the lack of lock on the GPS is lame (toggling wifi does not work for me). The only thing that is OK is that I can use video skype now and the external SD does not seem to be corrupting yet which I had before on the custom 2.3.4 roms I was trying.

I suppose I can flash the JL2 modem back on - might try that now as I can live with the battery as I have 3 - but that was my biggest + when I was looking for this update.

Who is running a custom kernel? I'll look back in the thread but anyone else?

Oh and sorry for the harsh words on the shut down sound - it was just IMHO

G
12th August 2011, 07:16 PM |#185  
Flag Ontario

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by haloimplant

I tarred it up, not sure if that is necessary. (First time using megaupload hopefully it works)

Rooted KG3 kernel: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=410SOQHD or http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8DH9UR4L (first one comes up unavailable sometimes?)
Odin 1.82: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1IKLKDPB

... etc

thanks a ton for the detailed instructions, seems to have worked
12th August 2011, 07:19 PM |#186  
Flag Toronto, Ontario
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:

I tarred it up, not sure if that is necessary. (First time using megaupload hopefully it works)

Rooted KG3 kernel: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=410SOQHD or http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8DH9UR4L (first one comes up unavailable sometimes?)
Odin 1.82: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1IKLKDPB

Just open Odin, put the tar file as PDA, put the phone in download mode, plug it in, wait for the box under ID:COM to go yellow and the 'added!' message and hit start. It will be done in a few seconds. Install superuser and busybox from the market to see if it works.

Like I said earlier it didn't work right away for me, superuser just FC'd on the first boot. Not sure if it was reflashing or rebooting that fixed it. Just a warning that some tinkering might be required.

thanks followed this , got it flashed no problem , i now see the superuser icon.. and when I install busybox , it saids my phone is rooted. ...now newbie question again, I thought by rooting the phone I can uninstall unwanted apps that are installed by default, but I don't know how to uninstall them ? any quick guide would be great .. thx
12th August 2011, 07:33 PM |#187  
Thanks Meter: 61

More
from the more recent reports, i guess it would be a bad idea to change the modem to KG3 from KC1?
12th August 2011, 07:34 PM |#188  
Flag Ontario

More
ok i use "Galaxy Tuner" to use the sound equalization settings, but it is not working with this rooted kernel. can anyone else confirm this? when i press the button for sound settings it just sits there.

actually this isnt a huge issue because i just remembered that the only music player i use (subsonic) now has its own eq.
12th August 2011, 08:01 PM |#189  
Thanks Meter: 135

More
For getting rid of system apps you need to either use an app that can do it (i think some of the task manager apps can?), the terminal or maybe root explorer. (Edit: Titanium Backup should be able to do it)

Myself I've used the terminal the steps are pretty simple. Root explorer is probably easier.

Sent from my GT-I9000M using XDA app
12th August 2011, 08:43 PM |#190  
Thanks Meter: 152

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfacer

Yeah I am totally underwhelmed on this one.... Battery is no better than my previous stock jl2 (which I had on trying to eliminate an issue I was having) and the lack of lock on the GPS is lame (toggling wifi does not work for me). The only thing that is OK is that I can use video skype now and the external SD does not seem to be corrupting yet which I had before on the custom 2.3.4 roms I was trying.

I suppose I can flash the JL2 modem back on - might try that now as I can live with the battery as I have 3 - but that was my biggest + when I was looking for this update.

Who is running a custom kernel? I'll look back in the thread but anyone else?

Oh and sorry for the harsh words on the shut down sound - it was just IMHO

G

Any of the leaked JVQ ROM kernels should work fine with it, Im on semaphore but Im running JVR with the KG3 modem
12th August 2011, 08:46 PM |#191  
Thanks Meter: 152

More
Quote:

Hmm when I was playing with rooted stock KG3 last night I thought it might be good enough to keep for a while. It's fast and the battery held up while I used it but this morning I am not using the phone and seeing the Android OS battery drain bug.

The battery seems to be draining at 4-5% per hour with over half of it coming up Android OS. Deal killer, I am used to 1-2%/hour idle use on 2.2.1 where the phone could go for 2-3 days when I wasn't using it much. I'll flash to something 2.3.4 this weekend but I feel bad for 'stock users' who will be stuck with this.

Wipe cache and dalvik, then reboot, should clear up the OS bug
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)