[TOOL] PERMANENT-ROOT (Fixed Links!) & Temp-Root (v2) for any MT4GS (Windows)

Search This thread

ratchetrizzo

Jun 3, 2010
Newark, DE
Wth! My phone won't charge while its off. The orange light will be on but if I unplug it it stays on and the phone won't turn on after being plugged or unplugged when the device is off. What am I supposed to do when the battery runs out?

Sent from my mt4gs

I am not having this issue. Are you using the CWM that came with Revolutionary or are you using Pauls?

According to nbetcher, there was an issue with the charging mechanism due to a lack of a dedicated charging circuit. Rev was supposed to fix this, but Pauls was released without mention of this.

Perhaps look into this?

I'm having the same problem.
I'm using the revolutionary CWM 4.0.0.8 that it downloaded and installed.
If the phone goes off and sees power coming in, the charge light lights up but I can't power the phone on and the light stays on even if I unplug. I have to do a battery pull

sherman8or

May 12, 2008
If the phone goes off and sees power coming in, the charge light lights up but I can't power the phone on and the light stays on even if I unplug. I have to do a battery pull

Same problem here! Hopefully my battery never dies...

overhauling

Aug 15, 2011
No GPS lock here either. GPS Navigation doesn't work anymore over the Mobile Network.

Sent from my myTouch 4G Slide using XDA Premium App

Kaczman

Aug 21, 2006
cleveland
So I have root, verified it, great instructions.

now how do I remove all this useless bloat from tmobile?

Also, having the same problem with charging when phone is off. Light lights up, but it is frozen until I do a battery pull. Also, I have to set my time zone every restart.

GPS works fine however.

Last edited:

Aeikozz

Jan 26, 2009
www.tamodachi.com
Won't charge off things like a car adapter.

Will charge if I just plug it into a computer.

GPS works fine.

This kinda sucks as i work in transportation and I rely on car chargers alot.

jdmarko

Jun 5, 2009
For those having GPS issues, try installing the app "FasterFix" from the Market. I have to use this on my HTC Sensation sometimes, and it usually does the trick. Let me know if it helps.

NEW! Verified Fix for Charging Issue:
As for the charging issue, you can flash an updated (v4.0.0.9) version of the ClockWorkMod recovery. (The Revolutionary tool apparently installed a v4.0.0.8.) The instructions are in the first post, or here:

Link to Paul's updated 4.0.0.9 ClockWorkMod:
http://www.multiupload.com/OC4MDYRAMB

Instructions: (assumes you have fastboot drivers. If not, get them here)
  • Download the ClockworkMod image file from here (same link as above)
  • Turn off the device.
  • Boot device into bootloader (hold down volume-down key while pressing power button)
  • Make sure the device is in FASTBOOT and not HBOOT
  • Connect the device to the computer via USB.
  • On your computer, open a command prompt/terminal and run:

fastboot devices

You should see something similar to:
    List of devices attached
    HTXXXXXXXXXX device
  • Write the image to the recovery partition ('fastboot flash recovery /path/to/<recovery>.img')
  • Do a recovery reboot to test (power off and boot holding down the volume-down key, select recovery)

Paul also has a separate thread for this ClockWorkMod Recovery.

Last edited:

_atlien_

May 23, 2010
ATL shawty!

I have this problem and the GPS problem. What are our options? If the battery dies, this could be more than just an inconvenient bug.

unclespoon

Feb 8, 2011
Seattle, WA
For those having GPS issues, try installing the app "FasterFix" from the Market. I have to use this on my HTC Sensation sometimes, and it usually does the trick. Let me know if it helps.

NEW! Verified Fix for Charging Issue:
As for the charging issue, you can flash an updated (v4.0.0.9) version of the ClockWorkMod recovery. (The Revolutionary tool apparently installed a v4.0.0.8.) The instructions are in the first post, or here:

Link to Paul's updated 4.0.0.9 ClockWorkMod:
http://www.multiupload.com/OC4MDYRAMB

Instructions: (assumes you have fastboot drivers. If not, get them here)
  • Download the ClockworkMod image file from here (same link as above)
  • Turn off the device.
  • Boot device into bootloader (hold down volume-down key while pressing power button)

fastboot devices

List of devices attached
    HTXXXXXXXXXX device
  • Write the image to the recovery partition ('fastboot flash recovery /path/to/<recovery>.img')
  • Do a recovery reboot to test (power off and boot holding down the volume-down key, select recovery)

Paul also has a separate thread for this ClockWorkMod Recovery.

Since I'm at work and can't use ADB but I have no patience, here's what I did:

1. Download Recovery 4.0.0.9 from Modaco's website
2. Using Root Explorer, find the file in your downloads folder on the sdcard.
3. Paste the recovery img file into your phone's /data/local folder.
4. In terminal emulator, first type "su" and then type "'dd if=/data/local/doubleshot.clockworkmod.4.0.0.9.modaco.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p21" and let it transfer the recovery file.

Simple as that!

smittyis1

Sep 15, 2010
morning All, after installing Revolutionary s-off and gaining root a notification showed up (Tell HTC) send system report to HTC , Does anyone know how I might get rid of this without sending?

unclespoon

Feb 8, 2011
Seattle, WA
morning All, after installing Revolutionary s-off and gaining root a notification showed up (Tell HTC) send system report to HTC , Does anyone know how I might get rid of this without sending?

Go to Settings > About Phone > Tell HTC and uncheck the boxes. As far as not sending that report, it should let you choose no, but it shouldn't matter, it's not telling HTC you're rooted, it's just telling them that you're device restarted improperly or whatever.

Reactions: smittyis1

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As far as I can tell, these are the only detailed instructions here for obtaining Permanent Root (and S-OFF). Hit THANKS if you feel inclined...

Just to be clear, this is not my basework, but I've assembled all the pieces and instructions to make it work for the MT4GS! Thanks to revolutionary, modaco, teamWin, eugene373, idanfima, coolbho3000 and wisefire for the easyfrevo part!

Temp Root:
    You must have the USB drivers installed for your MT4GS. (If you don't have them, you can always install HTC Sync for the Sensation, plug in your MT4GS, and it will install the correct drivers.)

You MUST exit from the HTC Sync application for this to work!! (Right-click on the icon in the taskbar, and select Exit)

You must also have USB Debugging enabled. (Settings, Applications, Development, USB debugging)

Click-For-perma-temp-v2.zip
    As of this update (23 Feb 2012), this has the latest SuperUser.apk...

Unzip, and run the batch file (Run_ME_Fr3vo_ROOT.bat)...
    You'll get errors like "An error occurred while running the exploit (-1) (errno: 14)", but if it also says "Exploiting device" afterwards, then it was successful!

This is temp-root, meaning that you can run apps that require root, but it'll go away when you reboot. Run the script again to get root back.

Permanent Root: (thanks to ikhzter for helping with some of the instructions!)
    NOTE: If you don't have ADB working (or don't know what ADB is), please download the drivers and files for the temp-root above, and be sure to save the revolutionary.exe into the same directory as the temp-root solution. Make sure you have HTC fastboot drivers as well (if you don't already), which are on the Revolutionary page.

Or use the tools provided here: Click-For-ADB-Windows.zip
    (Zip contains ADB.EXE FASTBOOT.EXE ...)

Thank you Team Revolutionary! If you would like to be one of the first to get PERMANENT root access, then download the new Revolutionary, instructions here:

http://unrevoked.com/rootwiki/doku.php/public/revolutionary
    Revolutionary version 0.4pre3 or later will work with your MT4GS, but it's still a developer preview... Don't come yelling if you mess up your phone. (But do share your results, so we can collectively solve any issues!)
    You'll need your serial number (Settings, About, Phone Identity), HBOOT version (only 1.44.0007 is supported now, but you can check your HBOOT by: Settings, Power, uncheck "Fast Boot", then power off, hold down volume down as you power on, the HBOOT version is at the top of the screen). Be sure to write down your Beta Key! (Or copy it to your clipboard so you can paste it into your command prompt.)

Note: you can also enter bootloader by issuing the command "adb reboot-bootloader" if you have the ADB & drivers installed (follow the Temp Root instructions above for drivers and ADB).

YOU MAY NEED TO DISABLE YOUR ANTIVIRUS PROGRAM- Norton is flagging up Revolutionary as a Virus when it isn't.

1. With the phone switched on (not in HBOOT, just the regular home screen), run the revolutionary Utility you just downloaded from http://revolutionary.io/ and if it has found your device it should read
      "Found your device: myTouch_4G_Slide..." (If it doesn't, see DEBUGGING, below)
    2. Once you have entered your beta key correctly, follow any on screen prompts or actions from revolutionary and wait for it to S-Off,
    3. You're done. Your Device will Successfully have S-OFF.... If you have S-off, your hboot will now be 1.44.1107
    4. Revolutionary will now ask you to Install clockwork recovery mod after S OFF. While you may choose to let Revolutionary do it for you (easiest, but it installs an older version with some USB charging issues), you can always do it manually, which I show below.

Hit THANKS!

You now have S-OFF on your MT4GS! Woo hoo!

Next, we'll flash the latest ClockWork Recovery (v4.0.0.9 without the charging problem) if you didn't do it above: (Thanks to Paul O'Brien / Modaco!!)
    • Download the ClockworkMod image file from here or here (direct mirror)
    • Turn off the device.
    • Boot device into bootloader (power off and boot while holding down the volume-down key, then select FASTBOOT with the power button)

fastboot devices

List of devices attached
      HTXXXXXXXXXX device

Now you can flash the latest SuperUser. (Thanks to ChainsDD!)
    1. Go to http://androidsu.com/superuser/ or download it directly here.)
    2. Copy this file to your SD card root folder (main folder of your memory card)
    3. Start clockworkmod recovery (hold down the Volume-Down key while turning on the phone), select Recovery
    4. BACKUP YOUR ROM USING CWM BEFORE ATTEMPTING ROOT!
    5. Navigate to "Backup & Restore" using the Volume Down button and press select (power button to select) then select "Backup"
    6. Select "install zip from sdcard" after backing up
    7. Then select "Choose zip from sdcard"
    8. Then select "Superuser-3.0.7-efghi-signed.zip" (or whatever file you obtained from above)
    9. Then select "Yes - install Superuser-3.0.7-efghi-signed.zip" to confirm (some have had to flash this a few times)
    10. Then go back
    11. Then reboot.
    12. You're rooted!

I highly recommend going to the Market once you've rebooted and install "Busybox," which many rooted apps will assume is already installed.

Download "Root Checker" to make sure everything is done correctly! :D

Please help with these instructions.... provide feedback if I can make something more clear!

NEW! Video Instructions:
    Click here for video instructions!

DEBUGGING:
    • If the Revolutionary exploit hangs or seems to be taking a very long time... or if it fails altogether, then please install my Temp-Root solution above first. Then, try the perm-root again.
    • Try installing the same drivers that I listed on the first post for the Temp-Root solution. Also, make sure you've exited from HTC Sync on your PC. (it will say "out of date" if HTC Sync is still running)
    • And make sure you have USB debugging enabled.
    • If Revolutionary still fails to find your phone, re-verify you have all the drivers installed, (uninstall and reinstall) and try "disk drive" mode and then "charge only" mode.
    • Still can't figure out how to get fastboot to work? Try this post for a quick solution.
    • For those having GPS issues after this process, try installing "BusyBox" from the Market and then installing the app "FasterFix" from the Market.

I certainly welcome feedback... and I appreciate your THANKS!

My phones:
    HTC G1
    HTC Nexus One
    HTC Sensation
    HTC My Touch 4G Slide
    My Steps on how I got my MT4GS PERM ROOTED and CW Installed...

Below are the instructions on How I got my MT4GS s-off (after hours on doing different steps). below is a link of all the files I put together and the same instructions below. I will like to thank everyone on this forum that help put the pieces together...

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BP2E3ZQ3

(Zip contains ADB.EXE FASTBOOT.EXE CWR.IMG SUPERUSER and other tools...)

***Temp Root:

You must have the USB drivers installed for your MT4GS. (If you don't have them, you can always install from the Drivers Folder, plug in your MT4GS, and it will install the correct drivers.)

You MUST exit from the HTC Sync application for this to work!! (Right-click on the icon in the taskbar, and select Exit)

You must also have USB Debugging enabled. (Settings, Applications, Development, USB debugging)

Save the Folder to C:\ADB-Windows
    Run Command Prompt as Admin (make sure you go the the directory C:\ADB-Windows\TempRoot) type commands below

adb wait-for-device
    adb push fre3vo /data/local/tmp
    adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/fre3vo
    adb shell /data/local/tmp/fre3vo
    adb wait-for-device
    adb remount
    adb shell mount -o rw,remount rootfs /
    adb shell mount -oremount,suid /dev/block/mmcblk0p23 /data
    adb shell mkdir /vendor/bin
    adb shell chown root.shell /vendor/bin
    adb shell chmod 755 /vendor/bin
    adb push ./sqlite3 /vendor/bin
    adb push ./su /vendor/bin
    adb push ./busybox /vendor/bin
    adb shell chown root.shell /vendor/bin/su
    adb shell chown root.shell /vendor/bin/busybox
    adb shell chown root.shell /vendor/bin/sqlite3
    adb shell chmod 6555 /vendor/bin/su
    adb shell chmod 4555 /vendor/bin/busybox
    adb shell chmod 755 /vendor/bin/sqlite3
    adb shell busybox --install -s /vendor/bin
    adb shell sync
    adb shell chmod 6555 /vendor/bin
    adb install ./Superuser.apk
    pause

You'll get errors like "An error occurred while running the exploit (-1) (errno: 14)", but if it also says "Exploiting device" afterwards, then it was successful!

This is temp-root, meaning that you can run apps that require root, but it'll go away when you reboot. Run the script again to get root back.

***Permanent Root:

YOU MAY NEED TO DISABLE YOUR ANTIVIRUS PROGRAM- Norton is flagging up Revolutionary as a Virus when it isn't.

1. With the phone switched on (not in HBOOT, just the regular home screen), run the revolutionary.exe in the C:\ADB-Windows and if it has found your device it should read "Found your device: myTouch_4G_Slide..." (If it doesn't, see DEBUGGING, below)
    2. Once you have entered your beta key (you will need to get it from http://revolutionary.io) correctly, follow any on screen prompts or actions from revolutionary and wait for it to S-Off,
    3. You're done. Your Device will Successfully have S-OFF.... If you have S-off, your hboot will now be 1.44.1107
    4. Revolutionary will now ask you to Install clockwork recovery mod after S OFF. While you may choose to let Revolutionary do it for you, you may want to answer N and install manually below to avoid some issues with the phone not charging properly.

***Last Install ClockWork Recovery v4.0.0.9 (IMG located under C:\ADB-Windows folder, if you follow the steps you should still be in FASTBOOT )

Make sure the device is in FASTBOOT and not HBOOT
    Connect the device to the computer via USB.
    On your computer, open a command prompt/terminal and run:

fastboot devices

List of devices attached
    HTXXXXXXXXXX device

Write the image to the recovery partition ('fastboot flash recovery C:\ADB-Windows\clockworkmod.4.0.0.9.img')
    Do a recovery reboot to test (power off and boot holding down the volume-down key, select recovery)

DONE
    As far as I can tell, these are the only detailed instructions here for obtaining Permanent Root (and S-OFF). Hit THANKS if you feel inclined...

Just to be clear, this is not my basework, but I've assembled all the pieces and instructions to make it work for the MT4GS! Thanks to revolutionary, modaco, teamWin, eugene373, idanfima, coolbho3000 and wisefire for the easyfrevo part!

Temp Root:
    You must have the USB drivers installed for your MT4GS. (If you don't have them, you can always install HTC Sync for the Sensation, plug in your MT4GS, and it will install the correct drivers.)

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9VN7956N
    ...This is the new version (14 August 2011) that has the most up-to-date SuperUser.apk...

Unzip, and run the batch file (Run_ME_Fr3vo_ROOT.bat)...

Older (v1) of this temp-root can be found here:
    http://www.multiupload.com/M0757JL5DX
    ...just in case you run into any problems.

Permanent Root: (thanks to ikhzter for helping with some of the instructions!)
    NOTE: If you don't have ADB working (or don't know what ADB is), please download the drivers and files for the temp-root above, and be sure to save the revolutionary.exe into the same directory as the temp-root solution. Make sure you have HTC fastboot drivers as well (if you don't already), which are on the Revolutionary page.

NEW! Thank you Team Revolutionary! If you would like to be one of the first to get PERMANENT root access, then download the new Revolutionary, instructions here:
    http://unrevoked.com/rootwiki/doku.php/public/revolutionary
    The current version of Revolutionary, 0.4pre3, is a The current version of Revolutionary, 0.4pre3, is a developer preview. . Don't come yelling if you mess up your phone. (But do share your results, so we can collectively solve any issues!)
    You'll need your serial number (Settings, About, Phone Identity), HBOOT version (Settings, Power, uncheck "Fast Boot", then power off, hold down volume down as you power on, the HBOOT version is at the top of the screen). Be sure to write down your Beta Key!

Note: you can also enter bootloader by issuing the command "adb reboot-bootloader" if you have the ADB & drivers installed (follow the Temp Root instructions above for drivers and ADB).

1. With the phone switched on (not in HBOOT, just the regular home screen), run the revolutionary Utility you just downloaded from http://revolutionary.io/ and if it has found your device it should read
      "Found your device: myTouch_4G_Slide..." (If it doesn't, see DEBUGGING, below)
    2. Once you have entered your beta key correctly, follow any on screen prompts or actions from revolutionary and wait for it to S-Off,
    4. Revolutionary will now ask you to Install clockwork recovery mod after S OFF. While you may choose to let Revolutionary do it for you, you may want to answer N and install manually below to avoid some issues with the phone not charging properly.

Hit THANKS!

You now have S-OFF on your MT4GS! Woo hoo!

Next, we'll flash the latest ClockWork Recovery (v4.0.0.9 without the charging problem) if you didn't do it above: (Thanks to Paul O'Brien / Modaco!!)
    • Download the ClockworkMod image file from here or here (direct mirror)
    • Turn off the device.
    • Boot device into bootloader

fastboot devices

List of devices attached
      HTXXXXXXXXXX device

Now you can flash the latest SuperUser. (Thanks to ChainsDD!)
    1. Go to http://androidsu.com/superuser/ or download it directly here.)
    2. Copy this file to your SD card root folder (main folder of your memory card)
    3. Start clockworkmod recovery (hold down the Volume-Down key while turning on the phone), select Recovery
    4. BACKUP YOUR ROM USING CWM BEFORE ATTEMPTING ROOT!
    5. Navigate to "Backup & Restore" using the Volume Down button and press select (power button to select) then select "Backup"
    6. Select "install zip from sdcard" after backing up
    7. Then select "Choose zip from sdcard"
    8. Then select "su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip" (or whatever file you obtained from above)
    9. Then select "Yes - install su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip" to confirm (some have had to flash this a few times)
    10. Then go back
    11. Then reboot.
    12. You're rooted!

I highly recommend going to the Market once you've rebooted and install "Busybox," which many rooted apps will assume is already installed.

Download "Root Checker" to make sure everything is done correctly! :D

Please help with these instructions.... provide feedback if I can make something more clear!

DEBUGGING:
    • If the Revolutionary exploit hangs or seems to be taking a very long time... or if it fails altogether, then please install my Temp-Root solution above first. Then, try the perm-root again.
    • Try installing the same drivers that I listed on the first post for the Temp-Root solution. Also, make sure you've exited from HTC Sync on your PC. (it will say "out of date" if HTC Sync is still running)
    • And make sure you have USB debugging enabled.
    • If Revolutionary still fails to find your phone, re-verify you have all the drivers installed, (uninstall and reinstall) and try "disk drive" mode and then "charge only" mode.
    • Still can't figure out how to get fastboot to work? Try this post for a quick solution.
    • For those having GPS issues after this process, try installing "BusyBox" from the Market and then installing the app "FasterFix" from the Market.

I certainly welcome feedback... and I appreciate your THANKS!

My phones:
    HTC G1
    HTC Nexus One
    HTC Sensation
    HTC My Touch 4G Slide

Did a quick how to video for this to help some people out. Feel free to link to it in the OP. Hope it helps someone!

How To Permanently Root and Gain S-Off on the T-Mobile MyTouch 4G Slide (Revolutionary Method) -
    http://theunlockr.com/2011/09/09/ho...mobile-mytouch-4g-slide-revolutionary-method/
    Tested this just now. Working just fine without any problems. Thank you so much!
    maaaaan I got a headache.

I got the Revolutionary to work and got my device on S-OFF. But I tried to manually install the latest clockwork and I'm having no success. Everytime I go in C prompt and type in "fastboot devices", it says its not a command etc etc.

I tried to run temproot so I can do the Root Explorer/Terminal method that someone posted a few post back... but it keeps saying "daemon not running" when I click the batch and ADB keeps shutting down when I start it. I installed the fastboot drives and the HTC sync drivers and I don't know whats going on. I ain't spending the whole night doing this.

If it keeps saying "daemon not running" then it's probably the first time you've run adb. If it says something like "adb shell out of date," you may have HTC Sync running. Look for it in your taskbar (bottom right of windows), right-click on the HTC Sync icon, and select "Exit."

Rather that walking you through how to set up Android SDK and set your path, unzip the attached ADB-Tools, paying attention to where you unzipped them. Open a command-prompt and CD to the directory where you unzipped them, and you should have a working fastboot command.