FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[mod]Boosting Signal Strength (hspa/gprs)

365 posts
Thanks Meter: 75

By djscopesofm, Senior Member on 22nd January 2011, 11:42 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
16th August 2011, 09:22 PM |#91  
Flag Springfield, Mo
Thanks Meter: 340

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by djscopesofm

u guys might wanna try turning dtm off

That was it! Now it's just a tad over 1meg on upload.
Thought I had it turned off but it was set to 1

17th August 2011, 03:02 AM |#92  
OP Senior Member
Flag Merrylands

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by p51d007

That was it! Now it's just a tad over 1meg on upload.
Thought I had it turned off but it was set to 1

congrats dude! i doubt we'll be able to go any higher though
17th August 2011, 04:15 AM |#93  
Flag Springfield, Mo

More
Thumbs up
Hey, I'll take what I can get...it's on at&t after all

Quote:

congrats dude! i doubt we'll be able to go any higher though

17th August 2011, 12:34 PM |#94  
Flag Corona, CA
Thanks Meter: 469

Donate to Me
More
guys, keep in mind, If you're on AT&T or others, I was digging through many files in my Streak. There are like a dozen Throttling.smali files, as well as in system/data/..somewhere there I found the throttling log created. Yes I deleted it and speeds increased. So even if you don't have a warning message, you may still be getting throttled. The carriers are sneaky.
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisrotolo For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift chrisrotolo Ad-Free
17th August 2011, 04:40 PM |#95  
Thanks Meter: 1,458

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisrotolo

guys, keep in mind, If you're on AT&T or others, I was digging through many files in my Streak. There are like a dozen Throttling.smali files, as well as in system/data/..somewhere there I found the throttling log created. Yes I deleted it and speeds increased. So even if you don't have a warning message, you may still be getting throttled. The carriers are sneaky.

Can u give us a step by step on where to find these?

Sent from my Dell Streak using XDA Premium App
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to borijess For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift borijess Ad-Free
18th August 2011, 01:26 PM |#96  
OP Senior Member
Flag Merrylands

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisrotolo

very interesting... could u elaborate a bit more? how does a carrier get these files on your device or is this from the manufacturer. even if thats so, wouldnt it be removed after a format and flash?
18th August 2011, 10:22 PM |#97  
Flag Corona, CA
Thanks Meter: 469

Donate to Me
More
Ive seen a thread some months ago on how to remove throttling and the files, not likely exactly the same for our streaks but I'll look again to see. (May have been for people who get the "you have exceeded your monthly limit, your data speed will be throttled", but I think it works regardless.

speakeasy speed test today: new high score. typically Im 2.5 down 1 up, I can tell it wants to go faster than 2.5, I feel Im throttled/capped.

look under data/system/throttle see if you have a folder called throttle, I do with a temp fron nov 04 08, and another from...today.. huh?, named -620313734. F this Im deleting them both. Yeah decompile phone.apk and have a look at all the .smali files, many regarding throttling,etc.

my mistake, might be in services.jar not phone.apk, but probably both.. more info here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=863923

after further research, it looks like thats not for AT&T, and those throttling files are meant to be there on all androids 2.2.1 and higher apparently. And we can also be throttled/goverened server side as well, so probably not a whole lot we can do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_165.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	693413  
19th August 2011, 01:45 AM |#98  
Flag Springfield, Mo

More
I renamed the temp file & the random number file, ran the speed test.
You can see the needle try to jump higher, but comes back down.
Best I got was 2.4 up & 2.2 down. Rebooted, and the random number
file came back, but the other one stayed what I named it. I think it's
probably throttled on the server side too. Not sure what the random number
file is, I'm kind of a noob on Linux.
19th August 2011, 06:55 AM |#99  
OP Senior Member
Flag Merrylands

More
we it looks like the files are creates on boot so I'm not sure if we r able to remove or disable this "throttling"... I guess u could try the sd cache method to delete it on boot every time. but wat I really want is to some how decompile these files and modify the throttling to allow large down and up speeds to trick the system instead of just deleting them..

any takers?
3rd February 2012, 02:36 AM |#100  
Thanks Meter: 48

More
I just got a Dell Streak 5 last week, did this little tweak and i got 3.6M download and 1.1M upload!

Amazing! Thanks!

Edit: hit a new record I upload! 2.6M
4th February 2012, 04:05 AM |#101  
Thanks Meter: 48

More
Quote:

we it looks like the files are creates on boot so I'm not sure if we r able to remove or disable this "throttling"... I guess u could try the sd cache method to delete it on boot every time. but wat I really want is to some how decompile these files and modify the throttling to allow large down and up speeds to trick the system instead of just deleting them..

any takers?

Try this.... I edited the file in editor, deleted everything. 0 byte file now. Changed the permission to nothing.

Seemed to work for me.

I get a constant 2.5-3.5M D/L and 1.0-2.0M U/L!!!

EDIT: I hit 3.6M Upload! wow..

Sent from my Dell Streak using XDA App
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
signal, strength

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)