Prolong battery life, you have any tips?

Search This thread

HiddenSanctum

Jun 12, 2011
Seattle
That really depends on what you mean by battery life.
- Battery life as in the amount of time you can use your phone until it dies?
Or
- Longevity of your battery before it degrades completely

If its the later, you should start by reading this

Entropy512

Senior Recognized Developer
Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
Sounds like he's looking for improving cycle lifetime - e.g. long term battery retention.

1) Heat is bad.
2) Batteries like to be stored at lower states of charge. I think frequent topoffs to the 90s are OK, but I usually yank it before I hit 100. I actually have modifications in my kernel that automatically shuts off the charger earlier than stock. Still tweaking this.
3) Charge on USB - lower charge current is easier for the battery. However, if you want fast charging occasionally, I have an experimental charging algorithm in process. It charges fast when the battery is low but slows down as voltage increases, to the point of being slow than stock at the end. It's based on this - http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/20/apple-patent-application-points-to-denser-batteries-improved-ch/

I don't know if my current algorithm is overall worse or better. It's more stressful at low voltages but less so at high ones. Based on the Apple patent above, this should overall be better, but I'm unsure of my tuning.

Edit: Oh, and don't "bump charge" - this will slowly degrade your battery's total capacity.

EricNagel

Aug 11, 2011
Seattle
As far as battery lifetime goes, I think you'd be fine just charging it normally (unless you are a power user). Unless you plan on keeping your phone for a very long time.

artisticcheese

Aug 26, 2003
www.unixsucks.com
Disconnecting the charger immediately after charge termination and reconnecting to force a little more current into the battery.

Basically abusing the charging algorithm's state machine.

So if I have a battery at say 60% left and I'm at workplace and I have a choice to charge it to 100% while I'm at work or let it discharge more and charge to 100% when I'll be home?
I mean does charging up 2 times to 100% counts as 2 counts charge/discharge?

Entropy512

Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
So if I have a battery at say 60% left and I'm at workplace and I have a choice to charge it to 100% while I'm at work or let it discharge more and charge to 100% when I'll be home?
I mean does charging up 2 times to 100% counts as 2 counts charge/discharge?
No, when I'm talking about "bump charging", I'm talking about:
1) Charge it to full
2) Immediately after you get the "charging complete/full" indication, disconnect and immediately reconnect the charger

The above forces a little extra current into the battery, and charging like this is bad for the battery.

The two patterns you describe are fairly similar, I would probably charge it at work just to avoid getting caught with a low battery.

Entropy512

Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
But would not this pattern mean that you are cutting your battery life in half becouse you use 2 cycles out of finite number of charge/discharge cycles.

That's full charge/discharge cycles, so charging a partially discharged battery won't use a full cycle.

However there are other factors at play, such as avoiding high temperatures when the battery is close to full, and also potentially overcharging. "bump charging" will probably degrade a battery more than an entire discharge/recharge cycle because it pushes the battery into a state (trickle charging) where it is known for rapid degradation.

diablo009

Apr 20, 2009
Atlanta GA
Switch to EDGE for literally everything, except when u feel u need data quite heavily. EDGE is generally sufficient for day to day activities like mails, etc. And it REALLY helps extend battery by atleast 40%!

Entropy512

Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
I don't understand what full cycle means? SO if you never completely discharge your battery you never use any of limited number of charge/discharge cycles? That covers pretty much everybody.
No, you just use them more slowly. e.g. a partial discharge/charge doesn't count as a full cycle.

Switch to EDGE for literally everything, except when u feel u need data quite heavily. EDGE is generally sufficient for day to day activities like mails, etc. And it REALLY helps extend battery by atleast 40%!

Did you bother to read the thread beyond the original subject? You'd see that's not the type of "life" the OP was talking about.

Also, forcing EDGE on many ROMs causes all sorts of weird crap to happen. It didn't work at all on Froyo, and it causes CM7 and Hellraiser to start force closing like crazy.

diablo009

Apr 20, 2009
Atlanta GA
Did you bother to read the thread beyond the original subject? You'd see that's not the type of "life" the OP was talking about.

Also, forcing EDGE on many ROMs causes all sorts of weird crap to happen. It didn't work at all on Froyo, and it causes CM7 and Hellraiser to start force closing like crazy.

1. sorry

2. I am on Infused 2.0.5 with EDGE on most of the time without any issues (its a GB ROM)