FORUMS

The Official XDA Support thread for Android Phones (Updated)

2,333 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,702

By samuel2706, Inactive Recognized Developer on 17th August 2011, 04:01 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
18th August 2011, 11:02 PM |#31  
OP Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag North Yorkshire

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetnsour

hey samuel2706. ive seen this question asked all over xda but i havent found a solid answer. im really interested in making a rom of my own (not using kitchens; im talking about real developing). so heres the question: do you know where i should start? (something that will allow a person like me, with no knowledge of developing whatsoever, to start rolling out roms)

Answered in chat
The Following User Says Thank You to samuel2706 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift samuel2706 Ad-Free
18th August 2011, 11:04 PM |#32  
Flag North Yorkshire

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by alquez

1. How to sync htc kernel sources (2.6.35.10) with upstream linux kernel 2.6.35.14 to apply newer bfs patches? And where should i look for various patches (like OC patches for example)
3. Compiled bcm4329.ko never workes for me, gotta stick to stock one. What am i missing?
2. I've managed to adjust HTC Wildfire Cyanogenmod device config to compile CWM and CM.7.1.0 for HTC Wildfire, however builds are troubled with various bugs (framebuffer in cwm and not working touchscreen in CM). What is the correct way to debug various parts of ported Android, and again - what am i missing.
3. Where should i look for some documentation about making configs for android build system - for example what TARGET_LIBAGL_USE_GRALLOC_COPYBITS := true mean, and is there complete list of these defines.
Thank you in advance

Kernels aren't my strong point, but i suggest GREP in linux will find what you need pal
18th August 2011, 11:07 PM |#33  
Flag North Yorkshire

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennydied23

I'd like to try and become a developer, mainly because my Samsung Droid Charge hasn't received any AOSP love yet and I want to try and help the dev(s) that are working on it, also I would like to make my own rom. But I have no idea where to start, and I have questions like do I need Linux, do I need to/where do I learn terminal commands, how does smali/baksmali work, how to compile/decompile, how does github work, what is a toolchain, do I need to know how to code, do I need to know any languages, what is Eclipse...stuff like that. I'm a complete noob at this kind of stuff and I feel it's a bit far out of my reach but I'm willing to give it a shot if I can get a decent start. I realize it won't just happen overnight, I have the patience to keep learning and doing research to figure it out, but I would like help getting started.

Well your half way there pal, but what you need to do is search XDA search for what you need!

there are millions of tutorials out there just search for them

if you have any more problems just come back here
The Following User Says Thank You to samuel2706 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift samuel2706 Ad-Free
18th August 2011, 11:11 PM |#34  
Flag North Yorkshire

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0vermind

@samuel2706: I have a Droid x2 and as you it has a locked bootloader. I also have a Galaxy Tab 7" which does NOT have a locked bootloader. I've been in Android for a very very long time, I am an experience flasher and rooter, but I want to get into the development side.

Could you direct me to what I need to read up on and learn about and do for me to become a developer? I would like to develop from my devices, I know that a locked bootloader steeply limits what I can do, that's why I am more interested in developing for my tablet. I mean a lot of things interest me. I look at my logcat on my devices, I see errors, and I just want to go in and fix them, I want to make my device smooth as butter, lol.

I'm also interested in finding an exploit of some sort for my Droid x2 so that I can crack it. There has gotta be a way to crack it open.

Thanks!!!

Well i have heard the Droid X2 can be unlocked but i haven't seen anything so far that could help you, try searching or looking on google ill keep an eye out for you pal!
18th August 2011, 11:21 PM |#35  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
droid3
Help rooting droid3
18th August 2011, 11:26 PM |#36  
Flag North Yorkshire

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyman216

Help rooting droid3

Motorola are working on an update to fix that and unlock bootloader, september to october some time then
18th August 2011, 11:39 PM |#37  
Flag Belgrade
Thanks Meter: 242

More
Unhappy Making Kernel Source and Explaining Some Files
This idea is AWSOME!!! I lost TONS AND TONS OF TIMES on learning to port and I learn a little??

Can you explain how to make kernel source(example: I have 2.6.35 kernel and I want to make honeycomb with tegra 2.6.39 kernel)Do I have only to change drivers or something else?

and

Can you tell me what does files from LIB, bin and framework(or some other important files) folders do, PLEASE????

Thank you in advice!!!
18th August 2011, 11:48 PM |#38  
Flag North Yorkshire

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon2555

This idea is AWSOME!!! I lost TONS AND TONS OF TIMES on learning to port and I learn a little??

Can you explain how to make kernel source(example: I have 2.6.35 kernel and I want to make honeycomb with tegra 2.6.39 kernel)Do I have only to change drivers or something else?

and

Can you tell me what does files from LIB, bin and framework(or some other important files) folders do, PLEASE????

Thank you in advice!!!

Will this help you

Here you go
19th August 2011, 12:28 AM |#39  
Flag Dallas
Thanks Meter: 542

Donate to Me
More
Hello and thanks for doing this.

I have been teaching myself to develop by the hardschool of knocks and have been getting deeper and deeper into developing. Currently I am working with som lib.so files to help correct a sound issue with a AOSP Sensation Rom. I am using IDA Pro to decompile the .so to a readable format but editing is not my strong point. Any advise or other programs that would help with this? What program would you use to recompile a lib.so? Thanks in Advance
19th August 2011, 12:56 AM |#40  
Flag Dahlonega
Thanks Meter: 13

Donate to Me
More
ROM Question
Hi, I got my android device (Samsung Prevail) just last month, so I'm new to this entire thing. I rooted my device, but I was wondering if there are more ROMS ,other than the ShabbyMod that I have right now, for my device. Also, can I install any ROM onto my device? Would that cause a problem?
19th August 2011, 12:59 AM |#41  
Flag Lahore
Thanks Meter: 24

More
hey.. can i start of by saying this is an amazing idea.. thanks so much

so i was wondering.. all the great devs out there.. where do they start? where did you start? do you start by making applications for android? or what? basically id love it if you could tell me how to get started.. any helpful links or information as to where i can learn more about android development.. id really appreciate it..

thakns alot bro
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
android, developer, irc, questions, support

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)