Cases That Work With Car Dock

Search This thread

Vegasden

Aug 26, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
vegasden.net
I know questions have been asked. And I realize all have their favorite cases. I am suggesting this thread as a "clearing house" of cases that definitely work with the car dock. If users could post links (and maybe photos) of these cases, I'm sure myself and many others would appreciate it.

cdthomas9

Jun 10, 2008
I'm about to ramble a bit, sorry if I get a little off topic here and there...

I generally stick with skins, because with my EVO thats all that would work the car dock. With this new dock, the Photon can have a smallish case and still work with the dock if the insert is removed. I like that forward thinking from Moto regarding this, and the design of the dock is way better than the HTC one for the EVO. I also like how the skin will protect from a lot of things but add no bulk.

I just got in a number of skins from Phantom Skinz, and applied one to my Photon today. Overall, I like the product. It does make it a tad hard to get out of the dock with the insert in, because the skin material has a slight give to it (a soft plastic vs rigid). I wish that they included a little spray bottle, like ones I got from Body Guardz. They say to get a cup of warm water, add a touch of soap to it and dunk the skins into it. its hard to get just right, i ended up having a bit too much soap i think and theres some bubbles underneath that I dont think will go away. The fit of these skins is great. I've used some that are just a hair too big, and they end up snagging on things because they overhang. the corners where the skin wraps around the unit did have to be tweaked a bit: i had to ttrim a little off and make wider v cuts to make sure it didnt bunch up. There is a skin section for every side of the Photon, including the camera section. it doesnt cover the lens, and the fact that they had a piece for it impressed me. I would recommend this to anyone who likes the skin style protectors, but only if you're quite patient.

http://phantomskinz.com/motorolaphoton4g.aspx

Last edited:

Jonni Nitro

Dec 17, 2010
This thread is a good idea. I can tell you that the case and holster that is sold by sprint does not fit, but only slightly contacts the material around the connector. I may trim it to see if I can get it to fit easily.

jglee311

Sep 21, 2010
Raleigh, NC
I can confirm that the OtterBox Commuter does not work. Also, even the little cheapo hard shell snap together cases do not work.

h8zgray

Apr 5, 2010
Incipio Feather Hard Case for Motorola Photon 4G

Hi all,

I recently purchased an Incipio Feather Slim hard case for my Photon 4G and so far it does seem to work with the car dock, though I had to add a little foamy tape on the right side of the dock so the phone would sit straight when it is in the dock, incidentally I am not using the insert that came with the dock, the website is myincipio dot com.

Problem is, I cannot find a classy leather horizontal case that will accommodate the phone with the Feather case on; everything I have been able to find so far looks cheap and flimsy not to mention too small. I guess one real advantage to sticking with an iPhone is that the after market accessory options available are so vast that if one just keeps looking for what they want they will most likely find it. Anyway, my 2 cents.

Lobo Droid

Feb 16, 2012
TPU cases don't work

I picked up a "TPU" case via eBay (pic attached). It's similar to the silicone skins except the material is a little stiffer and has a glossy finish (which I prefer).

Without the insert, the phone does fit physically in the dock, but the contact with the dock connector is poor. I may need to do what h8zgray wrote and that is to put some kind of pad on the right side of the dock to help hold up the phone. I think I have some left over weatherstripping I could use...

For the time being, I'm using an Arkon Mega Grip mount in my car.

I found it ironic that the dock doesn't work with some of the "official" Sprint cases, like the gray plastic two-piece case.

I hope someone can find a good case that will fit.

Update: Another member posted a comment in another thread that enlarging the notch surrounding the USB/microHDMI port could help make cases fit the car dock. There's a raised area in the dock surrounding the USB connector. I took a second TPU case and enlarged the opening for the USB/microHDMI ports and that made the case work in the dock. The connection is a little loose but I think adding a thin strip of padding to the right side of the dock might help keep the phone and case stable. So the stock TPU case won't work without this modification.

Attachments

• tpu_photon.JPG
    tpu_photon.JPG
    14.5 KB · Views: 45
Last edited: