3 UK Network data hanging - UPDATE THREE ACCEPT ISSUE

Search This thread

Isadora

Nov 14, 2009
London
I had this problem too. 3 mobile is pretty awful to be honest. I moved straight to talk mobile and haven't looked back. Vodafones signal is really good.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA App

Well it's all relative of course - for the places I go to regularly and would *really* like to be able to use my phone, like around Canary Wharf or the City, Vodafone is utterly useless (was with them until a couple of months ago) mostly due to "congestions issues" where you can see a full signal on your phone but it's unusable because, well, too many people are trying to do the same... Voda's helpful response was and still is "don't use data during peak hours i.e 8am to 6pm and switch your phone to 2G during that time". No such issues with 3 so far, so for me it is much better than Voda :) though I'll give you that my signal at home was better with Voda because their mast is in direct view 200 yards down the road...

tocheto

Oct 31, 2007
The whole problem with the data connection is in the mobile.
I really think Samsung :mad::mad::mad: must fix it as soon as possible with soft update.
Apart from this, the mobile is really awesome.

parker7

Nov 8, 2010
I am a Galaxy 2 owner... so yes i have this problem of the most annoying variety.

Put hand up if you feel like lobbing it at a samsung shop everytime it happens?

qasdfdsaq

Dec 31, 2010
Read this post guys .
You can switch off H, H+ and use only 3G connection, which is a bit slower,but you don't lose connection.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1138725

Except that
a) It doesn't actually switch off H or H+
b) It doesn't fix the problem (for me) on the SGS2, though it did on my old N95

I'm seeing increasing evidence that the SGS2 thinks it's on (or simply displays) 3G when it is actually on HSxPA. Perhaps that's part of the problem. I'm not sure of the mechanics behind on how Android decides whether to display 3G or H. But I know for a fact turning off HSxPA via the service menu doesn't actually turn off HSxPA.

And since 3 UK has its fair share of data hanging problems with *any* handset I still don't see any evidence to suggest the SGS2 is any worse. In fact, having had a 3 UK SIM in my handset for the past few days it works far better on 3 than Vodafone, though Voda have several known faulty masts around here.

Last edited:

dinan

Oct 28, 2008
I'm using Rogers in canada on a KE7 based ROM. I was using the KE7 radio until I noticed my data hanging and found some info on the Cognition thread: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=15056265&postcount=1433

I switched to KE4 and used the build.prop tweak there and it seems to have fixed my issues. To my understanding KE4 was the modem that came with the KE7 rom so matching up the modem to the released ROM is a good idea. Also that build.prop tweak might fix your issues without even flashing a new modem.

mike freegan

May 12, 2005
I have also found a fix for this, but a different way. Villainrom 1.4 (kf2) with kf2 kernel as recommended. Combined with ke1 radio.

Turn off fast dormancy, and change the APN from three.co.uk to 3internet

Not had a single hang up in days.

Reactions: mr sharpey

mike freegan

May 12, 2005
Hi everyone.

Recently, this solution stopped working for me - I don't know if it's due to ROM upgrades, or Kernels, or a change in the 3 network, but whatever.

I can use the stock 3 firmware without issue, but nothing else works reliably.

I'm absolutely gutted that I'm tied into a 2 year contract on 3, because my SGS2 is unusable like this, as I am just not receiving push notifications.

Does anyone know of a decent solution? I've searched high and low, but to no avail.

vessy

Aug 3, 2011
I've been having the same issue for the last week or so, phone is official XEU, KE7 and i'm on T-Mobile UK. I use wifi at work but this drops off outside and then I notice the green up arrow on solid and no data, thought it may have been the switchover from wifi to packet.

Strangely it's never done it anywhere other than work, Stansted airport so a very busy cell.

666fff

Nov 30, 2009
I had this problem on my HTC Hero. The upload arrow would be 'stuck' on. There were many threads about this in the hero forums, some people blamed hardware, but if I remember rightly there was something up with Android. My GS2 hasn't had these problems so I'd assumed google had it sorted...apparently not :( if I were you guys, I would march straight back to where you bought it and demand a new one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

vessy

Aug 3, 2011
I'm convinced this has something to do with wifi, I left wifi off for most of today and it has been fine, turned on wifi and connected to work, stepped outside woke phone and hey presto, green up arrow stuck on and no data! It also gave me a wifi status screen telling me what networks were available? Thought this wouldn't show as i've not got the network notification box ticked.

I have my wifi set to never sleep, which is something I changed recently, going to put it back to sleeping when not plugged in and see what happens

mike freegan

May 12, 2005
Right, I am now on VillainRom 2.3, and my solution works.

I have no idea why it works, but it 100% does, so I'm sticking with it.

I'm putting it in the first post, but the TL;DR is use the radio from KE1 rom (XXKDJ) with the KF2 Kernel. Turn off fast dormancy and change the APN from three.co.uk to 3INTERNET.

bernard134

Mar 5, 2010
Singapore
I know this for the UK, but in Singapore we also have this problem on my Galaxy S II.

I think its the baseband modem software at fault,

Test from my stock firmware modem DXKF1 to Europe XXKG3, XXKG6 all have the problem of data drop and not connectiong although reboot device or toggle on and off flight mode solve this problem. Sux totally

right_mr

Jun 19, 2010
Solve Galaxy s2 data problems on Three by changing the APN

WHen you insert a three sim into an unlocked Galaxy S2, it by default Installs a WAP APN. This APN only seems to work intermittently and hangs often. After various factory resets on my handset and lots of phone conversations with Network three (who it has to be said tried their best to help me resolve the issue) we ended up nowhere. They intimated that it is network mast capacity upgrade which is to blame.

Now the only reason why I experimented with APNs is my desire HD and Motorola Atrix did not have a default APN on three and I had to set these up manually. Now interestingly I thought Three were throttling my data because I am a data hog, but I didn’t seem to have the problem on the atrix that I was experiencing on the S2. I went onto the three website and experimented with all the APNs and found one that works a charm on the S2.

I am hitting 4140kbit per second using that APN sitting at my desk versus around 300kbit per second on the other APNs I tried sitting at the same spot.

Now the APN set up form on the S2 is different from the ones on the desire HD and the Atrix hence those APNs will not work properly.

Anyhow, to cut a long story short, give this APN a try and let me know if it sorts the issue out.

Name 3
APN: three.co.uk
MMSC: http:/mms.um.three.co.uk:10021/mmsc
MMS Proxy: 217.171.129.2
MMS Port: 8799
MCC: 234
MNC: 20
Authentication type: PAP
APN Type: internet + mms

Reactions: mr sharpey

right_mr

Jun 19, 2010
I can say with confidence that this APN will end your woes...
Name 3

mwatson

Oct 16, 2007
Basingstoke
I've been having the problem too. Samsung assure me it's the network and not the phone. My network (3) say its nothing to do with the network and tomspeak to samsung.:confused:

crypticc

Aug 22, 2009
London
If anyone manages to fix this, please share.

Incidentally, my bluetooth does a very similar thing with my car stereo. It just freezes and requires cycling off and back on.

Mine is fine. I set fd on (it is off in nwk_info by default for h3g plmnbrven though 3 is one of only 2 networks that support it) i set fdofffdtime to 3 sec. I left offfdtime 0.
Another setting was usual network for hsxpa hsupa and so on. Phone appeared to die when connecting before then.

I am now on ki7. Ke7 originally had dormancy = on if i recall. None since

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have also found a fix for this, but a different way. Villainrom 1.4 (kf2) with kf2 kernel as recommended. Combined with ke1 radio.

Turn off fast dormancy, and change the APN from three.co.uk to 3internet

Not had a single hang up in days.
    Solve Galaxy s2 data problems on Three by changing the APN

WHen you insert a three sim into an unlocked Galaxy S2, it by default Installs a WAP APN. This APN only seems to work intermittently and hangs often. After various factory resets on my handset and lots of phone conversations with Network three (who it has to be said tried their best to help me resolve the issue) we ended up nowhere. They intimated that it is network mast capacity upgrade which is to blame.

Now the only reason why I experimented with APNs is my desire HD and Motorola Atrix did not have a default APN on three and I had to set these up manually. Now interestingly I thought Three were throttling my data because I am a data hog, but I didn’t seem to have the problem on the atrix that I was experiencing on the S2. I went onto the three website and experimented with all the APNs and found one that works a charm on the S2.

I am hitting 4140kbit per second using that APN sitting at my desk versus around 300kbit per second on the other APNs I tried sitting at the same spot.

Now the APN set up form on the S2 is different from the ones on the desire HD and the Atrix hence those APNs will not work properly.

Anyhow, to cut a long story short, give this APN a try and let me know if it sorts the issue out.

Name 3
    Im still having the problem here, after having tried every rom, every modem and every single apn known to man, I can assure you the issue is not getting sorted. The strange thing is, it only happens in one location for me, and that is my work when I need it most.

I contacted Three about the problem, and they redirected me to their repair site to get my phone fixed, even after I have told them its not just the S2, as one of my colleagues is having the same issue on an iPhone.

I am going to try to cancel my contract with them as I primarily use the phone for work and we contact by call or whatsapp... and when the data connection doesn't work none of us can call either.