Droid X2 OTA Gingerbread Root Guide

Search This thread

navenedrob

Apr 24, 2009
Kannapolis, NC
Droid X2 Gingerbread Root Guide

"One Click" method now available, see MikeJ92YJ's post here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1234973

Thanks to drjbliss for finding the Motorola vulnerability that lead to this. Original work here: http://vulnfactory.org/blog/2011/08/25/rooting-the-droid-3/

Follow this guide exactly, and you can root OTA Gingerbread on your Droid X2 :) That means no more SBF'ing Froyo just so you can root. I have put all the commands into a few simple scripts. Instead of doing everything manually, you can just follow this simple guide. This post assumes you have ADB installed and know how to use it, and that you have the Motorola USB drivers installed.

--

Step 1:

METHOD A: Download the attached zip file with the root files, and extract the files somewhere memorable. Plug your phone into AC charger or computer. FOLLOW STEP 2.

OR

METHOD B: Download the attached zip file with the root files, plug your phone into your computer, and put the phone in USB Mass Storage mode. Then extract the files to the internal storage device a.k.a. MOT. If you choose this method then you can SKIP STEP 2 AND GO TO STEP 3.

Download: http://www.multiupload.com/B7HPPKOT86
Mirror: http://www.mediafire.com/?t31bnhaiwyulf81

--

Step 2 (if you chose METHOD A):

Open Windows command terminal.

Type these commands:

extracted-location = place where you extracted files to, if you are in the same location as the files, then you can omit extracted-location/.

Code:
adb push extracted-location/motoroot-step1.sh /sdcard/
adb push extracted-location/motoroot-step2.sh /sdcard/
adb push extracted-location/motoroot-step3.sh /sdcard/
adb push extracted-location/su /sdcard/
adb push extracted-location/Superuser.apk /sdcard/

--

Step 3:

Type these commands:

Code:
adb shell
sh /sdcard/motoroot-step1.sh

Hard reboot your phone.

--

Step 4:

Type these commands:

Code:
adb shell
sh /sdcard/motoroot-step2.sh

Hard reboot your phone.

--

Step 5:

Type these commands:

Code:
adb shell
sh /sdcard/motoroot-step3.sh

Your phone will reboot itself.

--

Step 6:

Type these commands:

Code:
adb shell
su

Accept the Superuser prompt on your phone and allow access. Now any time you want to adb shell, you can type su afterwards and obtain root.

--

Congratulations, you are now rooted.

Attachments

• drjbliss-GB-motoroot-filesONLY.zip
    134.2 KB · Views: 1,048
Last edited:

triplec76

Jan 10, 2008
I tried using P3's new one-click root. It complete successfully, but Titanium is claiming it does not have root access. P3's one-click appears to be doing the same thing listed here. Anyone else?

EvilTim

Jul 29, 2011
Requested addition to roll up sticky, thanks for posting

Sent from my DROID X2 using XDA App

nerdslogic

Nov 13, 2010
Oregon
Can someone point me in a good direction to learn ADB. I am reading over and over that the one click method doesn't work for the X2. I have a X2 running pre-rooted GB right now from the old "sbf back then root" method, but it is getting replaced on Tue. Would love to just root it when it arrives rather than sbf and stuff.

unless there is a method to get the one click to work of course....then by all means educate me on that

navenedrob

Apr 24, 2009
Kannapolis, NC
Can someone point me in a good direction to learn ADB. I am reading over and over that the one click method doesn't work for the X2. I have a X2 running pre-rooted GB right now from the old "sbf back then root" method, but it is getting replaced on Tue. Would love to just root it when it arrives rather than sbf and stuff.

unless there is a method to get the one click to work of course....then by all means educate me on that

Sure, no problem. Here are some guides found with a quick XDA Google search, I hope they help you (or anyone else) out with ADB. Keep in mind that while this will help you learn how to use ADB and get ADB working, some of the information may be outdated or may not apply.

ADB Easy Tutorial
[GUIDE] ADB Workshop and Guide for everyone
[TUTORIAL/HOW TO] Basics of ADB

Here is a link to Google's official ADB Android page. This has all the commands you need, a good reference.

Reactions: lgwhitlock
G

Guilden_NL

No go

I've been working on this six hours straight, so my mind is pretty tired.

Here's where I am stuck at, and I should know the answer but am burned out:

Ah nevermind......nothing that a couple of cold beers couldn't help! I had it in mass storage mode. Used to HTC, stock Android USB modes....

It worked as advertised. Thank you very much!

Last edited:

MiniPilote

Jan 14, 2008
Does this work for 2.3.5 418 from OTA? In other words, I have 2.3.5 418 from OTA updates. Will this method work for that version?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Droid X2 Gingerbread Root Guide

"One Click" method now available, see MikeJ92YJ's post here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1234973

Thanks to drjbliss for finding the Motorola vulnerability that lead to this. Original work here: http://vulnfactory.org/blog/2011/08/25/rooting-the-droid-3/

Follow this guide exactly, and you can root OTA Gingerbread on your Droid X2 :) That means no more SBF'ing Froyo just so you can root. I have put all the commands into a few simple scripts. Instead of doing everything manually, you can just follow this simple guide. This post assumes you have ADB installed and know how to use it, and that you have the Motorola USB drivers installed.

--

Step 1:

METHOD A: Download the attached zip file with the root files, and extract the files somewhere memorable. Plug your phone into AC charger or computer. FOLLOW STEP 2.

OR

METHOD B: Download the attached zip file with the root files, plug your phone into your computer, and put the phone in USB Mass Storage mode. Then extract the files to the internal storage device a.k.a. MOT. If you choose this method then you can SKIP STEP 2 AND GO TO STEP 3.

Download: http://www.multiupload.com/B7HPPKOT86
    Mirror: http://www.mediafire.com/?t31bnhaiwyulf81

--

Step 2 (if you chose METHOD A):

Open Windows command terminal.

Type these commands:

extracted-location = place where you extracted files to, if you are in the same location as the files, then you can omit extracted-location/.

Code:
    adb push extracted-location/motoroot-step1.sh /sdcard/
    adb push extracted-location/motoroot-step2.sh /sdcard/
    adb push extracted-location/motoroot-step3.sh /sdcard/
    adb push extracted-location/su /sdcard/
    adb push extracted-location/Superuser.apk /sdcard/

--

Step 3:

Type these commands:

Code:
    adb shell
    sh /sdcard/motoroot-step1.sh

Hard reboot your phone.

--

Step 4:

Type these commands:

Code:
    adb shell
    sh /sdcard/motoroot-step2.sh

Hard reboot your phone.

--

Step 5:

Type these commands:

Code:
    adb shell
    sh /sdcard/motoroot-step3.sh

Your phone will reboot itself.

--

Step 6:

Type these commands:

Code:
    adb shell
    su

Accept the Superuser prompt on your phone and allow access. Now any time you want to adb shell, you can type su afterwards and obtain root.

--

Congratulations, you are now rooted.
    I used the oneclick, no problems at all. Glad i didnt have to go SBF'ing back and forth.

Sure, no problem. Here are some guides found with a quick XDA Google search, I hope they help you (or anyone else) out with ADB. Keep in mind that while this will help you learn how to use ADB and get ADB working, some of the information may be outdated or may not apply.

ADB Easy Tutorial
    [GUIDE] ADB Workshop and Guide for everyone
    [TUTORIAL/HOW TO] Basics of ADB

Here is a link to Google's official ADB Android page. This has all the commands you need, a good reference.
    Does this work for 2.3.5 418 from OTA? In other words, I have 2.3.5 418 from OTA updates. Will this method work for that version?

no it wont, afaik there is no known root method for the 2.3.5 ota update
    you have to sbf to 2.3.4 then root & then use voodoo rootkeeper to temp unroot then apply 2.3.5 update then use voodoo to reapply root
    What do you mean by "Hard reboot"?

Thanks

Completely power it off and back on.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using xda app-developers app