FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Guide Wifi Ad Hoc Working Samsung 10.1v

5 posts
Thanks Meter: 7
 
By drnackers, Junior Member on 17th May 2011, 01:14 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
28th July 2011, 03:57 PM |#31  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
works great on my retail 10.1,wifi only, 16 gb, locked bootloader tab. im using the op's supplicant file, and im tethering from an epic 4g using wireless tether.

thanks to everyone who contributed !
6th August 2011, 04:53 PM |#32  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
How can i do this only using the root explorer? I think i can't do this with the adb. Gtab 10.1 only wifi rooted.

Thanks
18th August 2011, 12:37 AM |#33  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Guide Wifi Ad Hoc Working Samsung 10.1v
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick7920

I used adb and it worked "MAKE SURE THAT YOU LOCK THE PERMISSION with CHMOD 755 or it will not work"

put the tablet in airplane mode
I download the file put into C:\ of desk top
I had backup my original by using adb pull /system/bin/wpa_supplicant
these are commands and responses

>adb shell
[email protected]:/ # su
su
[email protected]:/ # mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
[email protected]:/ # chmod 777 /system
chmod 777 /system
[email protected]:/ # chmod 777 /system/bin
chmod 777 /system/bin
[email protected]:/ # chmod 777 /system/bin/wpa_supplicant
chmod 777 /system/bin/wpa_supplicant
[email protected]:/ # exit
exit
[email protected]:/ # exit
exit

>adb push c:\wpa_supplicant /system/bin/wpa_supplicant
1267 KB/s (295964 bytes in 0.228s)

>adb shell
[email protected]:/ # su
su
[email protected]:/ # mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
[email protected]:/ # chmod 755 /system/bin/wpa_supplicant
chmod 755 /system/bin/wpa_supplicant
[email protected]:/ # chmod 755 /system/bin
chmod 755 /system/bin
[email protected]:/ # chmod 755 /system
chmod 755 /system
[email protected]:/ # exit
exit
[email protected]:/ # exit
exit



Dear, i am a noob here, maybe you guys could help me, i got a Galaxy Tab 10.1 but does not have 3G, i just want it to recognize AC-HOC WIFI... I allready rooted my Tab and copied the new wpa_supplicant on System/bin.. but the simple thing that i do not understand.. where do i write those commands?? Where is the windows box?? There is no box or file or command box that i can write those commands.. if you can do a video and upload it in youtube, i will be glad.. Thanks Very Much..
18th August 2011, 10:59 AM |#34  
Senior Member
Flag Johannesburg
Thanks Meter: 41
 
More
download a terminal emulator app from the market and you should be able to do whats necessary using that.
31st August 2011, 11:13 PM |#35  
hhhppp's Avatar
Member
Flag Minnesota
Thanks Meter: 3
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredcerqueira

Dear, i am a noob here, maybe you guys could help me, i got a Galaxy Tab 10.1 but does not have 3G, i just want it to recognize AC-HOC WIFI... I allready rooted my Tab and copied the new wpa_supplicant on System/bin.. but the simple thing that i do not understand.. where do i write those commands?? Where is the windows box?? There is no box or file or command box that i can write those commands.. if you can do a video and upload it in youtube, i will be glad.. Thanks Very Much..

Buy Root Explorer from Market.
Copy wpa_supplicant into your Tab root.
Unplug your tab and turn the wifi off
Run Root Explorer.
Open sdcard folder. Find the wpa_supplicant where you put it.
Press and hold the wpa_supplicant file then copy it.
Hit Go back arrow then open system folder and open bin folder.
Hit Mount R/W on the top. Then hit Paste button at the bottom
Then hold the wpa_supplicant file to set permission 755 (open link below before set permission)
then hit Mount R/W again
reboot
Turn the wifi on
enjoy

File Permissions Calculator:
http://www.classical-webdesigns.co.u...whatchmod.html
The Following User Says Thank You to hhhppp For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift hhhppp Ad-Free
31st August 2011, 11:16 PM |#36  
hhhppp's Avatar
Member
Flag Minnesota
Thanks Meter: 3
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tagorecb

How can i do this only using the root explorer? I think i can't do this with the adb. Gtab 10.1 only wifi rooted.

Thanks

Buy Root Explorer from Market.
Copy wpa_supplicant into your Tab root.
Unplug your tab and turn the wifi off
Run Root Explorer.
Open sdcard folder. Find the wpa_supplicant where you put it.
Press and hold the wpa_supplicant file then copy it.
Hit Go back arrow then open system folder and open bin folder.
Hit Mount R/W on the top. Then hit Paste button at the bottom
Then hold the wpa_supplicant file to set permission 755
then hit Mount R/W again
reboot
Turn the wifi on
enjoy


Set permission 755:

The Following User Says Thank You to hhhppp For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift hhhppp Ad-Free
9th September 2011, 05:54 PM |#37  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
More
Tidy up
I got this thing to work eventually, everything you need to know is in this thread but there is a lot of stuff you don't need to know too so I hope to get this right first time. This is, I hope the definitive how to create ad hoc capability on your Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 without any noob confusion. There is some cut and paste from the thread here so thanks to the original authors.
Follow all these steps.

You will need;

1. a rooted SGT 10.1 - Do this by searching the forum for instructions. Do this first, then come back here and continue. [I do not know if or how it works on other devices - DON'T ASK]

2. ES File Explorer from the android Market

3. Download hacked the wpa_supplicant from this post to your SGT. [If you visit the page with your SGT, the file will download to 'home>download' on your device, if not, put it there yourself so it can be found later]

ONCE YOU HAVE ALL THOSE THINGS, CONTINUE...

4. Open ES File Explorer and in settings menu select Root options. - menu>settings> tick root explorer and mount file system - say yes to popup.

5. Click the home button to get to your SGT home screen, tap the battery/wifi indicator at the bottom right of the home screen, select settings>wireless and networks and tick flight mode to on. [You can reboot here, it won't hurt]

6. Make sure airplane mode is on then using ES File Explorer on your SGT, navigate to 'system/bin to find the file called wpa_supplicant, do a long press on this file and select rename, keep the name but add .bak or.old to it so it is now called wpa_supplicant.bak or wpa_supplicant.old

7. Using ES File Explorer on your SGT 10.1 navigate to home>download and find the wpa_supplicant_wifi_adhoc folder, click it once to open it, long press on the file called wpa_supplicant and select copy.

8. Using ES File Explorer on your SGT 10.1 navigate back to system/bin then long press on an empty part of the screen and select paste. You should now have two wpa_supplicant files, one called wpa_supplicant.bak or wpa_supplicant.old and one called wpa_supplicant which is now the hacked version.

9. The wpa_supplicant needs to have the correct permissions to work properly so tap it twice, [don't open it] then with the file highlighted tap the file menu [3 lines at the bottom of the screen] select operations>properties>change, there are 9 boxes, make sure there is a green tick in all of the read column, all of the write column and the top line in the execute column. Like this

X X X
X X
X X

Click OK twice. [You can reboot here]

10. From the SGT home screen tap the battery/wifi indicator at the bottom right of the home screen, select settings>wireless and networks and tick flight mode to off. Turn on your phone's wifi sharing and hopefully your SGT will find it.

That's it. This is how I did it and it works with my Nokia N8 using Joikuspot premium, it should work with the free version too. GOOD LUCK!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bashed For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Bashed Ad-Free
10th September 2011, 11:45 AM |#38  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
More
Thanks, guys this is a really handy thread. Just got my GT10.1, and this makes it a lot easier to use on the go.
13th September 2011, 01:06 AM |#39  
Junior Member
Flag Birmingham
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Hello.
Thanks for the guide, it's very useful.

I'm having trouble uploading data when my Galaxy Tab 10.1 is connected to my ad-hoc connection (Joikuspot on N8).

I cannot upload more than a few kb's of data.
Emails just sit in the outbox and I cannot login to some websites.
If I visit speedtest.net - the upload speed test fails.

Neither the iPad, iMac or Windows 7 laptop have this problem when tethered to the same ad-hoc connection.

Has anyone got any suggestions where to start solving this problem?

James.
16th September 2011, 08:13 AM |#40  
Member
Flag Modesto
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Thanks for the tutorial! worked perfectly! and just in time, as i am taking a four hour trip, and now i can tether from my phone! Worked perfectly!!!
18th September 2011, 11:06 PM |#41  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Thumbs up Worked Beautifully
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashed

I got this thing to work eventually, everything you need to know is in this thread but there is a lot of stuff you don't need to know too so I hope to get this right first time. This is, I hope the definitive how to create ad hoc capability on your Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 without any noob confusion. There is some cut and paste from the thread here so thanks to the original authors.
Follow all these steps.

You will need;

1. a rooted SGT 10.1 - Do this by searching the forum for instructions. Do this first, then come back here and continue. [I do not know if or how it works on other devices - DON'T ASK]

2. ES File Explorer from the android Market

3. Download hacked the wpa_supplicant from this post to your SGT. [If you visit the page with your SGT, the file will download to 'home>download' on your device, if not, put it there yourself so it can be found later]

ONCE YOU HAVE ALL THOSE THINGS, CONTINUE...

4. Open ES File Explorer and in settings menu select Root options. - menu>settings> tick root explorer and mount file system - say yes to popup.

5. Click the home button to get to your SGT home screen, tap the battery/wifi indicator at the bottom right of the home screen, select settings>wireless and networks and tick flight mode to on. [You can reboot here, it won't hurt]

6. Make sure airplane mode is on then using ES File Explorer on your SGT, navigate to 'system/bin to find the file called wpa_supplicant, do a long press on this file and select rename, keep the name but add .bak or.old to it so it is now called wpa_supplicant.bak or wpa_supplicant.old

7. Using ES File Explorer on your SGT 10.1 navigate to home>download and find the wpa_supplicant_wifi_adhoc folder, click it once to open it, long press on the file called wpa_supplicant and select copy.

8. Using ES File Explorer on your SGT 10.1 navigate back to system/bin then long press on an empty part of the screen and select paste. You should now have two wpa_supplicant files, one called wpa_supplicant.bak or wpa_supplicant.old and one called wpa_supplicant which is now the hacked version.

9. The wpa_supplicant needs to have the correct permissions to work properly so tap it twice, [don't open it] then with the file highlighted tap the file menu [3 lines at the bottom of the screen] select operations>properties>change, there are 9 boxes, make sure there is a green tick in all of the read column, all of the write column and the top line in the execute column. Like this

X X X
X X
X X

Click OK twice. [You can reboot here]

10. From the SGT home screen tap the battery/wifi indicator at the bottom right of the home screen, select settings>wireless and networks and tick flight mode to off. Turn on your phone's wifi sharing and hopefully your SGT will find it.

That's it. This is how I did it and it works with my Nokia N8 using Joikuspot premium, it should work with the free version too. GOOD LUCK!

Thanks so much for this! Worked perfectly for me!! I'm on a Retail Galaxy Tab 10.1 and a Samsung Charge! I'd click a "thanks" but for the life of me, I can't find one!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes