GPS Software for Elf

Search This thread

smckane

May 12, 2006
Hi,

Was just wondering if anyone had a recomendation for a good GPS porgram? I'm looking for good mapping rather than road directions. Google Maps Mobile is great, but not so good when I'm out of range from a cell tower...

Thanks for your help :)

smckane

Nov 7, 2007
GPS program

TomTom 6 with 6.75 map ( the best, for me)

Navigon 6 ( nice but slower with elf)

Route 66 gps ( :)

smckane

May 12, 2006
Thanks for the sugestions giovanniriccio, but those are all road directions programs, and I don't drive (yet, sadly). Looking for something I can use when out walking / on my bike.

Cheers :)

driekus

Sep 12, 2006
Amsterdam
How about OziExplorer?
http://www.oziexplorer.com/
Is that what you're looking for? You will need to supply your own (scanned or digital) maps, but if you have those (or find it in gps-forums): it worked great on my HTC Magician. Haven't installed it to my touch yet, though, so I can't promise it will work, and if you don't have the maps in the right format, it can be a bit of a pain in the ass to get it all right.

Aaron McCarthy

Oct 27, 2007
Thanks for the sugestions giovanniriccio, but those are all road directions programs, and I don't drive (yet, sadly). Looking for something I can use when out walking / on my bike.

Cheers :)

I myself use Navigon more so then TOM TOM (I have both installed) only because I like the interface a bit better... and waiting an additional 3 seconds to have the program load or another 3 for a route to load in comparision to Tom Tom isn't that big of a deal for me.

However, that said. TomTom 6 and Navigon both give you the option to choose your method of transport, So you can choose walking route or biking instead of driving a car.

Navigon has these options: Fast Car, Standard Car, Slow Car, Motorbike, Lorry, Bicycle, Pedestrian. Now as far as I know it doesnt have walking paths programmed into it it just uses these settings to give you an estimate on how long till you reach your destination.

Same for Tomtom however it's options are as follows; Fastest Routes, Shortest Routes, Walking Routes, and Bicycle routes. I've never used any of these features so now sure how they really work BUT they are there.

Like I was saying about the load up time between the two, depending on what type of Touch you have will likely make a difference because honestly I've barely noticed a difference as far as route loading times but that could be because I have the touch enhanced so it runs fairly fast.

Hope this helps!

tajw

Jan 26, 2007
Memory-Map

Memory map is brilliant for mountian biking and walking.

http://www.memory-map.com/

30 day trial available and good quality maps (UK, France) available or you can import. Runs on PC and PPC so you can dowload and analyse your routes

thlcr1

Aug 30, 2007
Nercwys
I'd second Memory Maps, it has worked brillantly for me on a number of WM devices including the touch. It can be a bit pricey for maps, but Memory maps navigator is free and can import and calibrate scanned maps.

robmtl1

Dec 15, 2007
Anyone know how to fix the "No maps found!" TomTom error? I'm currently using TomTom 6.203 (7220) with USA/Canada maps version 6.75 (1409). I have the maps folder in my microSD card.

garycanfix

Dec 24, 2006
No Maps Found

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM, dos any body know how to fix, you cannot get into settings to look for maps, it just takes you to tomtom download page:confused:

Aaron McCarthy

Oct 27, 2007
Not sure if this will help but I had had the problem on my treo before and I just simply took the map off and brought it back onto the SD card.

I'm also not sure if the placement of the map has anything to do with it but I had originally had it in the TOMTOM folder. When I moved it to the root menu of the SD card it read the map fine.

Right now I'm running Tomtom 6.010 (7720) and my map is "USA and Canada 675_1409'

robmtl1

Dec 15, 2007
I found the solution in another thread from kunz:

Disable Bluetooth Explorer from Settings -> Connections -> Bluetooth -> Bluetooth FTP

It causes TomTom to think that the bluetooth folder is your storage card and tries to load map from there. Disabling it should do the trick.

This worked out instantly for me.

Aaron McCarthy

Oct 27, 2007
You guys may also want to try Navigon Navigator for your phone. I have the latest version 6.2 and it runs super smooth has a way nicer interface then tom tom and has voice control so you can actually just press a button on the phone and say "navigate home" and the program does the route and stuff for you. Its a great feature to use instead of flipping through your favorites or something like that.

I have both tomtom and Navigon on my touch. I use Navigon more however I have noticed that they both sometimes find different routes. On that occasion I noticed tomtoms routes are a little quicker (by say a few minutes... but that could simply be because it calculates the estimated time a bit different) Either way.. something to check out at least. Look up some information on the program and check out screen shots of it. You can tell right away the interface and maps themselves look alot nicer then tomtoms. Both seem to be about the same as far as up to date maps go.

tnyynt

Retired Senior Moderator
Jun 18, 2007
Question!

OK Guys, please excuse my noob question, but as far as I know the Touch does not have GPS. Do you use external Bluetooth GPS devices or how do you use all these apps? :confused:

alexandru petrescu

Aug 20, 2007
OK Guys, please excuse my noob question, but as far as I know the Touch does not have GPS. Do you use external Bluetooth GPS devices or how do you use all these apps? :confused:

Yes, bluetooth gps. I use GlobalSat BT-359, and I'd like to buy one day "Freedom Keychain GPS SiRF III Receiver" or maybe the small Holux GPS Receiver.

As for software doing maps, there are plenty. I know of: googlemaps, gpstuner, gloposis and sometimes the necessary companion 'gpsgate'. Recently gpstuner got google maps support built in, but I haven't tried (previously one had to build maps oneself for gpstuner).

garpt

Feb 20, 2008
I use GlobalSat BT-359, with Windows Live, along with Microsoft Voice Command 6.1, you can actually tell it where you want to go. The mapping software works fine. The only occasional problem I have, and maybe someone has an answer for this, is it takes a while (5 minutes sometimes), to sync with the GPS "puck". Sometimes closing and reopening the app. several times helps it along. Once in a rare while it will lose the port, as well. I am using port 1. Does anyone have a solution to this? Otherwise, it works great when everything is sync'd.
thanks. Gary

KLYnick

Mar 25, 2008
Why not try the "Igo My way 2006 plus"

Igo My way 2006 plus works great with my Touch and it alerts me on approaching the speed cameras. You should try it out. The maps are much more detailed then on other Gps software i used. If you want to use it and you don't find a trial, plz pm me and i will help.

p.s. you have to own a Bt. Gps receiver.

guitarguy

Feb 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Igo My way 2006 plus works great with my Touch and it alerts me on approaching the speed cameras. You should try it out. The maps are much more detailed then on other Gps software i used. If you want to use it and you don't find a trial, plz pm me and i will help.

p.s. you have to own a Bt. Gps receiver.

That software looks pretty cool, but I don't see any mention of maps for US/Canada on their website... Do these exist, or is it just for European users?

Thanks....