Apple Sues Samsung Electronics Over 'Galaxy' Phone, Tab

Search This thread

lufkintravis

Jul 1, 2010
I don't care for Samsung products, and I really don't care for Apple devices, but Samsung should counter-sue Apple. Samsung Eternity vs. Apple iPhone 4. The Eternity used to be a great looking phone and I loved it, but didn't like Samsung products, so imagine my surprise when I saw all the news of the leaked iPhone 4...

zepp3lin

Mar 29, 2011
I don't care for Samsung products, and I really don't care for Apple devices, but Samsung should counter-sue Apple. Samsung Eternity vs. Apple iPhone 4. The Eternity used to be a great looking phone and I loved it, but didn't like Samsung products, so imagine my surprise when I saw all the news of the leaked iPhone 4...

I guess your a bit too late in the news, They did it...
http://www.todayonline.com/TechandDigital/Digital/EDC110423-0001025/Samsung-counter-sues-Apple

a dead man

Dec 9, 2008
canberra
Since I apparently havent got enough posts to post a link, you'll need to edit this a bit: dump.com <slash> 2011/04/25/this-video-predicted-the-ipad-in-1994-video/

Prior iPad Art. Admittedly it does not have icons, but still.

It may be prior art, but the question is, is it published prior art? unless someone can positively show that the video was available for public viewing, or indeed that a photo or drawing of the tablet itself was published in the public domain prior to Apples application for a design, then it is just a curiosity.

it is important that the publication date MUST be verifiable

but I agree, there is at least a close similarity, it could leave the status of Apples design registrations under question if the pub date could be discovered, if at all

nellyspageli

Aug 2, 2007
San Francisco
i'm a big android guy. i've never owned an iphone, but i think you guys are wrong here.

i think many of you are making false assumptions about the lawsuit so I think you should read a detailed analysis before making any claims. I personally recommend this one.

Aside from the patent infringement, Apple is suing Samsung for trade dress infringement. I really don't see how you can possibly claim that Samsung is not copying Apple's trade dress. Every single part of TouchWiz is a modification to Android to make it look and feel more like iOS. Everything from the bouncing scroll effect, to the color and shape of the icons is meant to confuse customers. Just look at this picture:
2011-04-19applesam7.jpg

" There’s no question in my mind that Samsung designed TouchWiz to look and feel as much like iOS as possible, and then marketed it as such. (More than one of my friends has come back from a Verizon store with a Fascinate having been told that it’s “basically the same as an iPhone.”)" -- Nilay Patel

zepp3lin

Mar 29, 2011
Whatever it is, the main OS is different, just like Windows, Lix and Mac. All of them basically uses the same UI. Apple name & logo copy from the fruit apple, so apple got no case. Now apple must worry is the copyright patent infringements case from Samsung. Samsung can deny the technology to apple and Apple iPhone will remain 3g forever..... Who's the loser now?

Chandelure

Mar 21, 2011
i'm a big android guy. i've never owned an iphone, but i think you guys are wrong here.

i think many of you are making false assumptions about the lawsuit so I think you should read a detailed analysis before making any claims. I personally recommend this one.

Aside from the patent infringement, Apple is suing Samsung for trade dress infringement. I really don't see how you can possibly claim that Samsung is not copying Apple's trade dress. Every single part of TouchWiz is a modification to Android to make it look and feel more like iOS. Everything from the bouncing scroll effect, to the color and shape of the icons is meant to confuse customers. Just look at this picture:
2011-04-19applesam7.jpg

" There’s no question in my mind that Samsung designed TouchWiz to look and feel as much like iOS as possible, and then marketed it as such. (More than one of my friends has come back from a Verizon store with a Fascinate having been told that it’s “basically the same as an iPhone.”)" -- Nilay Patel
Because the bouncing scroll effect is OWNED BY APPLE.

/s

AllGamer

Retired Forum Moderator
May 24, 2008
SGH-T989
AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note I717
Whatever it is, the main OS is different, just like Windows, Lix and Mac. All of them basically uses the same UI. Apple name & logo copy from the fruit apple, so apple got no case. Now apple must worry is the copyright patent infringements case from Samsung. Samsung can deny the technology to apple and Apple iPhone will remain 3g forever..... Who's the loser now?

LOL :p

can you imagine if back then Microsoft lost to Apple on the OS UI patent?

we'll all be stuck in DOS command line forever, and we'll all be stuck on ANSII art :D

WinXP will have looken like this LMAO!

HTML:
ooosssssssyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhddddhhhhhyyyyhhhhhhyyssssssssssssssssssyyyyyyyyyyysssssssss
ssssssyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhdmdhhyyyyhhhhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyssssss
ssssssssssssssyyyyyyyyyyhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhyyyyhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyssss
ooooossssssssssssyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyhhhhhhhhhhyysyhddhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyys
ossooyyysyyyysyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyydhhhdhhhyysyyhhdmmdhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
+o+++soooooooossssssssssssssssssssssshhhdhhhyysyyhhhhhddmmdhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyys
//////////////////++++++////////////+hhdhhhyyyyyhhhhhhhhhhddmdddhhhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
 .::.....         `...--:-----.......hdhhhyyyyyhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhddddddddhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
`::.````````      `.-................hhhhyyyyyhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhddddddhhhhhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyy
`--.....          `.---------------..hhhyyyyyhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyssssss
`.-.````````      `.----:----........hhyyyyyhhhdhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyysssssssssssss
`-:.              `.--...............yyyyyyhhhddhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyysssssssssssssss
`+s:`..``.`       `.-.-----..........yyyyyhhhddddhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyyyssoossssssssssssss
`-:.````````````` `-/:----:--........yyyyyhhddddddhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyyysso/oyyo+oyssssssss
`/o:..            `-:--.-....-.......yhyyhhdddddhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyysss++ysso+ssssssssss
`.--`     `     ` `.--.-.---..-......yyyhhhdddddhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyyssso/oyo/:/ssssssssss
`:/:`.`````````````-:-.-----.........yyyhhddddddhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyy+++++osssosso++soossssssss
 `:-```````       `-:.-..............yyhhdddddddhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyy/:://:///:/:::/::ssoooosso
.+o/```````       `-/-:-::...........yyhddddddddhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyy+oo+ooo+o+o+oo+osssoooooo
`:::````````      `.-----.-----......yhdddddddddhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyssooooooooooossssssoooooo
`--:```` ```      `.-................yhddddddddddhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyyysssssssssssssooooooo
 ./:`````         `-/---------.......hddddddddddhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyyyssssssssssssoooooooo
 ./- ```          `..................syhddddddddhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyssssssssssssoooooooo
                  `.-.--.............yyssyhddddddhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyssssssssssssoooooooo
    .--....`-:    `.----.............yhyyyysyhddddhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyyysssssssssssssooooooo
:::::::::::::::---:::::::::::::::::::hhhhhhhyyyyhddddhhhhhhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyysssssssssssssooooooo
yysssssssssssssss::+oooso/+oooooooooshhhhhhhhhyyyyyhhdddhhhhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyysssssssssssssooooooo
hyhhyhyhhyysyyyyysssyyyyssssyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyysssssssyyyyyyyyyyyyyssssssyyyyyyssysssssssssssoossooo
hsssoooyhysssooooooooooosssooooooooooooosssosooooooossssssosooooooooossssyyyyyyyysyossyso/+ssoooooos

Linux wouldn't have been any better off :p it'll probably be still in a terminal session

Chandelure

Mar 21, 2011
LOL :p

can you imagine if back then Microsoft lost to Apple on the OS UI patent?

we'll all be stuck in DOS command line forever, and we'll all be stuck on ANSII art :D

WinXP will have looken like this LMAO!

HTML:
ooosssssssyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhddddhhhhhyyyyhhhhhhyyssssssssssssssssssyyyyyyyyyyysssssssss
ssssssyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhdmdhhyyyyhhhhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyssssss
ssssssssssssssyyyyyyyyyyhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhyyyyhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyssss
ooooossssssssssssyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyhhhhhhhhhhyysyhddhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyys
ossooyyysyyyysyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyydhhhdhhhyysyyhhdmmdhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
+o+++soooooooossssssssssssssssssssssshhhdhhhyysyyhhhhhddmmdhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyys
//////////////////++++++////////////+hhdhhhyyyyyhhhhhhhhhhddmdddhhhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
 .::.....         `...--:-----.......hdhhhyyyyyhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhddddddddhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
`::.````````      `.-................hhhhyyyyyhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhddddddhhhhhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyy
`--.....          `.---------------..hhhyyyyyhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyssssss
`.-.````````      `.----:----........hhyyyyyhhhdhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyysssssssssssss
`-:.              `.--...............yyyyyyhhhddhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyysssssssssssssss
`+s:`..``.`       `.-.-----..........yyyyyhhhddddhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyyyssoossssssssssssss
`-:.````````````` `-/:----:--........yyyyyhhddddddhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyyysso/oyyo+oyssssssss
`/o:..            `-:--.-....-.......yhyyhhdddddhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyysss++ysso+ssssssssss
`.--`     `     ` `.--.-.---..-......yyyhhhdddddhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyyssso/oyo/:/ssssssssss
`:/:`.`````````````-:-.-----.........yyyhhddddddhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyy+++++osssosso++soossssssss
 `:-```````       `-:.-..............yyhhdddddddhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyy/:://:///:/:::/::ssoooosso
.+o/```````       `-/-:-::...........yyhddddddddhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyy+oo+ooo+o+o+oo+osssoooooo
`:::````````      `.-----.-----......yhdddddddddhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyssooooooooooossssssoooooo
`--:```` ```      `.-................yhddddddddddhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyyysssssssssssssooooooo
 ./:`````         `-/---------.......hddddddddddhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyyyssssssssssssoooooooo
 ./- ```          `..................syhddddddddhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyssssssssssssoooooooo
                  `.-.--.............yyssyhddddddhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyssssssssssssoooooooo
    .--....`-:    `.----.............yhyyyysyhddddhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyyysssssssssssssooooooo
:::::::::::::::---:::::::::::::::::::hhhhhhhyyyyhddddhhhhhhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyysssssssssssssooooooo
yysssssssssssssss::+oooso/+oooooooooshhhhhhhhhyyyyyhhdddhhhhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyysssssssssssssooooooo
hyhhyhyhhyysyyyyysssyyyyssssyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyysssssssyyyyyyyyyyyyyssssssyyyyyyssysssssssssssoossooo
hsssoooyhysssooooooooooosssooooooooooooosssosooooooossssssosooooooooossssyyyyyyyysyossyso/+ssoooooos

Linux wouldn't have been any better off :p it'll probably be still in a terminal session
I only use terminal sessions....

Except for web browsing :D

LG_fuad92

May 12, 2011
Petaling Jaya
http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20110418-711262.html

So it seems like Apple can't fight Samsung popularity in Android, and now is deciding to use dirty tricks in court, LOL :p

and Since when TouchWiz seems / feels like iOS? it has nothing alike

Apple is playing the cry baby now, as 2010 sales of android jumped like 200% way over taking iOS, and mostly was thanks to Samsung and all of its like of Galaxy S products.

way to go Samsung :D

This is what i'm referring to, check out the android activation video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqFpq9WXbJo

dude, lg started with this icons etc. and lg just kept quiet. just because we dump apple for android and they sued? come on, start learning apple.

ky0nkyon

Feb 2, 2010
by this logic, asus should sue crux cases and apple for jocking transformer's dock with trackpad, kayboard, battery idea

Sent from my HTC Vision using XDA Premium App

cobbletower

Sep 10, 2011
so anything that has a button at the bottom of the thing is copying apple. the button isnt even round. its square with soft buttons at the side. maybe apple thinks they patened the button?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Aw for the love of Pete.... Really?

Hmm... so Apple invented the icons then? or was it tapping on icons? Maybe they invented the idea of having icons on a desktop environment? Uh... uh... got it... having them lined up in a square grid array...

/facepalm...
    Apple needs to get shot in the face!
    The first touchscreen phone (that I can think of) was the Ericsson R380 - http://www.gsmarena.com/ericsson_r380-195.php
    If you think Apple is the only tech company suing for frivolous and stupid things, and it fits your worldview that Apple is the devil, then it is a really pathetic sort of deliberate ignorance. There are so many tech companies suing each other right now, and counter-suing, it's part of their morning routine to let the lawyers out while sipping some finely brewed espresso.