FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[APP] [UPDATED 9/27/2011]V1.9 Working App to Backup Windows Phone 7 via ZUNE ANY TIME

1,278 posts
Thanks Meter: 274

By hx4700 Killer, Senior Member on 29th May 2011, 10:43 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
14th September 2011, 09:14 PM |#471  
Flag Someplace in CT
Thanks Meter: 154

Donate to Me
More
Heads up for everyone !!!! If you have a HTC phone and use the HTC Leaked final roms, it updates the firmware and backups from Zune/this program WILL FAIL !!!!!

Once you upgrade to Mango final (not the RTM upgrade via zune, only the rom on the leaked roms), there is No way back to Nodo

I have a new phone coming so I tested on my old one

I will be going to the RTM for a while longer till the unlocks are figured out and mango is released by the carriers.

14th September 2011, 09:23 PM |#472  
OP Senior Member
Texas

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidinCT

Heads up for everyone !!!! If you have a HTC phone and use the HTC Leaked final roms, it updates the firmware and backups from Zune/this program WILL FAIL !!!!!

Once you upgrade to Mango final (not the RTM upgrade via zune, only the rom on the leaked roms), there is No way back to Nodo

I have a new phone coming so I tested on my old one

I will be going to the RTM for a while longer till the unlocks are figured out and mango is released by the carriers.

Did you try to put the original rom back on before doing the restore? I know it seems counter-intuitive but it seems the phone may block restore if the OS isnt at least the same REV as what the backup was... but not in all cases.

---------- Post added at 03:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:22 PM ----------

V1.8 is out and due to the fact that it is changing reg entries and moving files it will prompt you with UAC nags on Vista/Win7... sorry.
14th September 2011, 10:10 PM |#473  
Flag Someplace in CT

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hx4700 Killer

Did you try to put the original rom back on before doing the restore? I know it seems counter-intuitive but it seems the phone may block restore if the OS isnt at least the same REV as what the backup was... but not in all cases..

Verizon HTC Trophy, No orignal rom, just backups from this program.

After the upgrade with the rom on the HTC leaks, any backup made with this will fail
15th September 2011, 03:30 PM |#474  
OP Senior Member
Texas

More
Quote:

Verizon HTC Trophy, No orignal rom, just backups from this program.

After the upgrade with the rom on the HTC leaks, any backup made with this will fail

If you do the restore via commandline the error is probably "Version Mismatch" (updatewp.exe /restore)

Can you get back to 7712? You might be able to get this to load if you are 7712 instead of 7720.
16th September 2011, 04:14 AM |#475  
Flag Someplace in CT

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

If you do the restore via commandline the error is probably "Version Mismatch" (updatewp.exe /restore)

Can you get back to 7712? You might be able to get this to load if you are 7712 instead of 7720.

I tried a 7712 and a 7720 and they both failed

I think it's due to the new firmware and radio that is in the HTC Leaked rom.

My phone had some dead pixels on the display and all of a sudden got a green line though the center of the screen, so I got a warranty replacement from Asurion (US Phone insurance). I don't have to worry about that now. I will be sticking with the RTM via Zune till someone unlocks the leaked roms. So I just had to delete my 16gb of backups (7 of them) from my last phone.

So, with my new phone, I am needing to back it up, I guess I'll try 1.8 for this one...

Crap I need to find the ZuneWMDU.DLL file from 4.7, anyone got ?

Downloaded Zune 4.7, when you start installing it, it looks for updates (no way around it from what I see) and just trys to install 4.8. Any work around to get this file so I can do a backup ?

Edit: I downloaded 4.7, extracted the MSI for the zunewmdu and found the file with out having to install 4.7 over my 4.8 install. 32bit, I assume.

I zipped it up and attached it to this post, if you download it, please hit thanks for me !
Attached Files
File Type: zip ZuneWmdu.zip - [Click for QR Code] (274.3 KB, 13138 views)
The Following 28 Users Say Thank You to DavidinCT For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DavidinCT Ad-Free
16th September 2011, 05:08 AM |#476  
Flag Someplace in CT

Donate to Me
More
1.8 backup does not work for me. I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit and I am running the 32bit version of the software (I tried running as an admin and non admin). I downloaded the file above (ZuneWMDU.DLL). I tried to do a backup with My HTC Trophy NoDO device and as soon as I click start backup I get this error.

This version of %1 is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need a x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher.

No update to mango tonight for me
16th September 2011, 02:18 PM |#477  
OP Senior Member
Texas

More
Quote:

1.8 backup does not work for me. I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit and I am running the 32bit version of the software (I tried running as an admin and non admin). I downloaded the file above (ZuneWMDU.DLL). I tried to do a backup with My HTC Trophy NoDO device and as soon as I click start backup I get this error.

This version of %1 is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need a x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher.

No update to mango tonight for me

Damn, that means its not unpacking the correct program for your platform. I ONLY have 64 bit OS's now and havet got much of a way to test 32 bit
16th September 2011, 04:44 PM |#478  
Flag Someplace in CT

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Damn, that means its not unpacking the correct program for your platform. I ONLY have 64 bit OS's now and havet got much of a way to test 32 bit

If you really need someone to test, I'll be on and off all day. I am running 32bit Win7 (for now, I upgraded to 8gb meaning to move to 64bit, just havent done it)

You can get me direct at <my user name> @hotmail.com (I get that delievered to my phone).

I'd love to get it backed up before moving to mango RTM again.
16th September 2011, 05:14 PM |#479  
Thanks Meter: 432

More
Quote:

Edit: I downloaded 4.7, extracted the MSI for the zunewmdu and found the file with out having to install 4.7 over my 4.8 install.

I zipped it up and attached it to this post, if you download it, please hit thanks for me !

here is the one for 64bit OS.

edit: just tried v1.8 on Win7 64bit, Zune client 4.8 latest with 7720.68 on phone. after some hiccups (didn't have the correct phone support tools) it finally makes a backup. It still displays an error message before it starts though. The size of the backup (>4Gb) corresponds to everything on the device (so it definitely makes a full backup). A window opens and reads something about cannot switch files or similar. After it's done it just sits there at 100%, no confirmation message? I closed it and disconnected the phone from the USB to finish. Zune displays the restore point that I just created OK. will try to reproduce this.
Attached Files
File Type: rar ZuneWmdu-64bit.rar - [Click for QR Code] (277.4 KB, 20458 views)
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to derausgewanderte For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift derausgewanderte Ad-Free
16th September 2011, 06:02 PM |#480  
OP Senior Member
Texas

More
Just got a 32 bit win 7 up and runnign so hopefully should have this ironed out later today.

I tried XP mode in 7 x64 but updatewp complained that it couldnt do a backup through RDP! Lol
16th September 2011, 06:06 PM |#481  
Thanks Meter: 432

More
Quote:

Just got a 32 bit win 7 up and runnign so hopefully should have this ironed out later today.

I tried XP mode in 7 x64 but updatewp complained that it couldnt do a backup through RDP! Lol

I have admin rights to all folders (in fact I made full access to these folders to "Everyone"). I start the executables as Administrator.
the message I get says "switchfiles stopped working" and it quits, but the backup continues.

edit: so I switched the file manually, I still get the "switchfiles stopped working" message. Zune now contains the ZuneWMU.dll from 4.7 and the backup continues like before after closing the error message. The size of the backup corresponds to the space taken on the phone.

edit2: I am not sure what regedit changes your tool makes but I would like to see if they got stuck or changed back. Can you tell me what they are (maybe best if you send the reg file to make the changes by hand for 4.7 and 4.8).
Zune Client 4.8 didn't care with all this so far.

edit3: I just tried to run the switchfiles.exe with admin rights and it just crashes with the above error message. Ran it from the dos admin cmd prompt comes up with this message:
Unhandled Exception:System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. at SwitchFiles.SwitchFiles.Main(). I guess I have to use it as switchfiles <path/filename> <newpath/filename>.

switchfiles.exe spits out a txt file paths.txt when it crashes (the text file disappears after closing the error). the paths.txt file contains the following:
C:\Program Files\Zune\Zune.exe
D:\Downloads\WP7\Backup\x64\ZuneWmdu.DLL

Those are the paths I set in your tool when I started it.

I am not seeing any changes in the registry Zune tree (HKLM or HKCU)

so altogether it can't make changes but still makes a full backup? confused...I haven't dared to run a restore yet...
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)