Rooted Kernels and Loss of Service

Search This thread

wingzfan

May 14, 2008
We're trying to determine the "root" (pun intended) of the problem so if you wanna come in here and start a fight go find a local bar to do so. We need to try and locate the source of the problem so either post something useful or walk away.

There seems to be some confusion and I dont know if its being ignored or what but theres an issue with these kernels that needs to be looked into further before new ones continue to be released.

Theres an obvious problem for a good amount of people and everytime I look I see comments that there isnt a problem. So heres everything I could quickly find regarding it.

Now Im not trying to be a **** about this but I dont get how the issue is unheard of when its one of the biggest topics in this section. And so we're clear, this is happening in ALL kernels. Unfortunately its been more profound in Zedos because it seems more people went with his method.

All Im asking is before more and more kernels are released that someone at least acknowledge the problem and see if it can be addressed before more and more people root and start complaining because they were told there was no LO.S. bug

data drop? dunno about that, this shizzle will not drop. It's ZEDOMAX!

jump and we will find out. no they should be worked out. there was no data loss kinks in da first place, where did u get that?

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Man I was fine then I flashed v5 and got the no signal issue

Everything seemed to be fine last night but today I've had 4 separate times now where my phone has lost signal all together and needed to be rebooted to get phone/data back. When this has happened I tried going into About-->Status to see if I could see anything odd and I kept getting a FC of com.android.phone

I did. No love. I'm without a signal, period.

Got the no signal issue here too. I put it in airplane mode overnight and upon waking this morning the no signal circle was there. I had to do a reboot to get 3g and cell signal back.

Looking forward to seeing this process develop.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA App

Yeah this just happened to me too, everything was fine this morning then I played a game of solitaire and after going back to my home screen I saw the circle. Rebooted phone and everything came back on. It's possible that the circle was there before I played the game of solitaire but I didn't notice until right after I quit playing.

Hopefully it gets straightened out soon. At least rebooting fixes the problem, I can handle rebooting for a little while if needed.

I can't really deal with the issue of having no service. My daughter has a heart issue and can't afford to miss a call. It's not like I walk around all day literally looking at my phone's screen seeing if I have service or not.

I did reboot...so like your's my service is back up.

But I definitely hope this gets fixed soon. I'd rather have root with broken heptic feedback than the inability to receive calls.

But I'm sure the Op the get it fixed... :D:D

I've had a dead call issue and also tday my radios were just dead and there was a circle in the middle of the notification barr. A reboot fixed the issues each time, but I think it might be a problem. I thing newer kernels will also fix said issues. Still very satisfied

I am having the issue of the phone (voice) and sms not working. Strange because everything else is working fine. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Still seems to have the data drop issue. Popped it on the second u dropped it, was great till a min ago. least a "restart" fixes it.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

Man I just lost data again. This sucks

I'm giving this one a try because with the zedomax kernel I kept losing 3G and CDMA calling and not even noticing it unless someone told me they'd been trying to reach me for hours. A quick reboot would solve the issue but then it would happen again.

I'll report back and let you guys know if this one is giving me the same issue.

I did this one because losing service on the other one, haven't lost it yet but its only been a couple hours

Sent from my sprint galaxy s2

I tried both, i'm back on this one. I lost service with zedos twice and haven't on this at all.

Last edited:

kpkimmel

Jun 13, 2010
Detroit
Telling you right now someone is going to come in here and go "this belongs in General" then a mod will move your thread and deduct 5 points from something, not sure...but just a heads up

dutchman71

Apr 8, 2007
South Jersey
I also see a lot of people having issues, but I'm now on day 2 of flashing Zedo V1 and have yet to experience any of these issues. Not sure what I did different, but everything just works... The only thing I did was after rooting was getting my MSL from Sprint and erased the proxy servers in the ##3282 menu.

EDIT: Ok, I just lost service 1 1/2 day after rooting... Bug finally hit me..

Last edited:

wingzfan

May 14, 2008
I dont mind it being moved and I have no clue what the deduction in "points" does but I'll deal with it.

Now Im getting much better battery but I know people are still losing service on the new OC kernel. My roommate happens to be on e the unlucky ones.

plmiller0905

Apr 25, 2010
Chicago
Man...thanks for posting this. Hopefully the mod doesn't close this thread. This definitely is a concern and a serious matter. I don't care if these kernels are, "use at your own risk" these kernels should've been listed as betas, and/or the bugs should've been listed and further testing should have been. If those steps were taken, I bet a lot of people would've held back from flashing them. I know I would have.

Shabby posted this earlier in the other thread (post 160):

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1267762&page=16

One thing that got to me was this morning I woke up, hoping to see a stock kernel and/or a way to return to stock. And instead, I see a new overclockable kernel. To me that's just not right. I think that you have to prioritize. That's like putting out a rom that has all data broke. Then instead of fixing it, you put out another rom...while disregarding the issues with the first rom. At least acknowledge the issue and let everyone know it's been worked on....don't just blow it off.

I know some of the devs over in the Evo forums was good about this....if something went haywire with one of their roms or mods...they were all on top of it to get the issue fixed and they also communicated with posting updates on the matter.

Like I said, hopefully the mods don't close this.

I'm definately gonna follow this thread...thanks Wingzfan

Last edited:

wingzfan

May 14, 2008
Shabby posted this earlier in the other thread:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1267762&page=16

post 160

I'm definately gonna follow this thread...thanks Wingzfan

Bubby does have the stock kernel pulled. I was testing it till 1:30 in the morning but he's gotta recompile it. It was bootlooping so today thats his first order of business.

As for the kernels, I flashed it by choice. I dont blame the devs for ANYTHING, Im just saying acknowledge theres a bug and lets see how to resolve it.

OrygunGal

Apr 9, 2011
I've been reading through the rooted kernel threads as well prior to jumping on the root wagon and have seen several people mention that they are not rooted and have experienced the loss of service so it seems that the issue may not be exclusive to the rooted kernels...possibly a Samsung bug?

wingzfan

May 14, 2008
Very possible which is why im hoping we can get an idea of how man people are rooted vs non rooted having it. Now the only thing is I cant find any complaints online about nonrooted phones doing it except a few here and youd think it'd be widely discussed

Sent from a Galaxy far far away...

plmiller0905

Apr 25, 2010
Chicago
I've been reading through the rooted kernel threads as well prior to jumping on the root wagon and have seen several people mention that they are not rooted and have experienced the loss of service so it seems that the issue may not be exclusive to the rooted kernels...possibly a Samsung bug?

Yeah...I read those too. However, I never lost any service at home with any android phone I've owned..Nexus S 4g, all Evo's, Epics etc. Then today I wake up and I have no service....maybe it is a samsung bug, but I'd rather return to stock myself to see if the issue was still there.

wingzfan

May 14, 2008
Stocks on its way i promise. Probly tonight actually. Bubby was really close last night. Once we get that Id be curious to see what happens.

joetemp75

Oct 23, 2006
bay area
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
This is an issue that started with mine also yesterday. But not only did I lose data but gps also. A reboot fixed it but I would like to know whats going on. I just came from the evo 3d and there was an issue that had to do with the prl so I am going to give that a shot with the 11115 prl that fixed the evo. Will post back with the results later today.

dmarden

Oct 30, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
For the record:

A) People have reported this issue even on the stock kernel. It is not clear where the cause is.

B) For kicks (and because it cannot hurt) I did the whole profile/PRL update thing that someone suggested. Be it luck or real benefit, I have no had the issue since.

OrygunGal

Apr 9, 2011
Very possible which is why im hoping we can get an idea of how man people are rooted vs non rooted having it. Now the only thing is I cant find any complaints online about nonrooted phones doing it except a few here and youd think it'd be widely discussed

I would think it would be widely discussed as well so that seems odd. I'm waiting to see what evolves or at least for stock kernel (an undo) before flashing a rooted one. I don't have TEP.

OrygunGal

Apr 9, 2011
For the record:

A) People have reported this issue even on the stock kernel. It is not clear where the cause is.

B) For kicks (and because it cannot hurt) I did the whole profile/PRL update thing that someone suggested. Be it luck or real benefit, I have no had the issue since.

Nice. I was told by a helpful Sprint cust. serv. rep. a while back that you should update your PRL & Profile when you go into a new area (tavel, move, or even long commute to work) regardless of which phone you have. I would think unboxing your phone would qualify as well. It sure couldn't hurt.

---------- Post added at 06:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:53 AM ----------

It's still a bit early for the issue to be too widely discussed.

Good point. Many people would not likely research on the web/forums, instead they'd likely address the issue directly with Sprint.

MadFlava

Jul 5, 2008
Yeah...I read those too. However, I never lost any service at home with any android phone I've owned..Nexus S 4g, all Evo's, Epics etc. Then today I wake up and I have no service....maybe it is a samsung bug, but I'd rather return to stock myself to see if the issue was still there.

Ever owned a Samsung phone before?

This is my 3rd one and I swore after the last one Id never buy a Samsung phone again but I got sucked back in. Samsung is notorious for shipping phones with all kinds of bugs that should be considered showstoppers then pushing out fixes months later.

It would not surprise me at all if that was the case here. I am one of the ones having this issue and I am not rooted. Ive lost data several times after hanging up a call. The data never restores and I have to toggle 3G to get it come back.

I dont think this is a kernel issue. I think its something to do with the rest of the OS, either that or the kernel is a different problem thats just acting the same way.

wingzfan

May 14, 2008
Ok thats what i was hoping to find is nonrooted and rooted people who are having the issue. Now on my moment this issue was huge so i went to htc and maybe thats the case again. Maybe sammy dropped the ball again. Question is what can be done about it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    We're trying to determine the "root" (pun intended) of the problem so if you wanna come in here and start a fight go find a local bar to do so. We need to try and locate the source of the problem so either post something useful or walk away.

There seems to be some confusion and I dont know if its being ignored or what but theres an issue with these kernels that needs to be looked into further before new ones continue to be released.

Theres an obvious problem for a good amount of people and everytime I look I see comments that there isnt a problem. So heres everything I could quickly find regarding it.

Now Im not trying to be a **** about this but I dont get how the issue is unheard of when its one of the biggest topics in this section. And so we're clear, this is happening in ALL kernels. Unfortunately its been more profound in Zedos because it seems more people went with his method.

All Im asking is before more and more kernels are released that someone at least acknowledge the problem and see if it can be addressed before more and more people root and start complaining because they were told there was no LO.S. bug

data drop? dunno about that, this shizzle will not drop. It's ZEDOMAX!

jump and we will find out. no they should be worked out. there was no data loss kinks in da first place, where did u get that?

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Man I was fine then I flashed v5 and got the no signal issue

Everything seemed to be fine last night but today I've had 4 separate times now where my phone has lost signal all together and needed to be rebooted to get phone/data back. When this has happened I tried going into About-->Status to see if I could see anything odd and I kept getting a FC of com.android.phone

I did. No love. I'm without a signal, period.

Got the no signal issue here too. I put it in airplane mode overnight and upon waking this morning the no signal circle was there. I had to do a reboot to get 3g and cell signal back.

Looking forward to seeing this process develop.

Yeah this just happened to me too, everything was fine this morning then I played a game of solitaire and after going back to my home screen I saw the circle. Rebooted phone and everything came back on. It's possible that the circle was there before I played the game of solitaire but I didn't notice until right after I quit playing.

Hopefully it gets straightened out soon. At least rebooting fixes the problem, I can handle rebooting for a little while if needed.

I can't really deal with the issue of having no service. My daughter has a heart issue and can't afford to miss a call. It's not like I walk around all day literally looking at my phone's screen seeing if I have service or not.

I did reboot...so like your's my service is back up.

But I definitely hope this gets fixed soon. I'd rather have root with broken heptic feedback than the inability to receive calls.

But I'm sure the Op the get it fixed... :D:D

I've had a dead call issue and also tday my radios were just dead and there was a circle in the middle of the notification barr. A reboot fixed the issues each time, but I think it might be a problem. I thing newer kernels will also fix said issues. Still very satisfied

I am having the issue of the phone (voice) and sms not working. Strange because everything else is working fine. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Still seems to have the data drop issue. Popped it on the second u dropped it, was great till a min ago. least a "restart" fixes it.

Man I just lost data again. This sucks

I'm giving this one a try because with the zedomax kernel I kept losing 3G and CDMA calling and not even noticing it unless someone told me they'd been trying to reach me for hours. A quick reboot would solve the issue but then it would happen again.

I'll report back and let you guys know if this one is giving me the same issue.

I did this one because losing service on the other one, haven't lost it yet but its only been a couple hours

Sent from my sprint galaxy s2

I tried both, i'm back on this one. I lost service with zedos twice and haven't on this at all.

For the record:

i rooted yesterday using zedomax method, did the OC kernel last night.. havent had any issues so far ..
    man..I'm glad somebody is having the sme problem as me..I'm rooted and my phone 3g n data keeps shutting it self off..I missed couple of important calls..resetting gets it to work with voice mail and txt messages showing up. plus, my phone battery drains crazy. turning the phone screen off and leaving it on my desk for 7 hrs with 2 or 4 mins of used drains it down to 0%. Yes!!!! 4 freaking min..

Flash the stock kernel through Odin. Everything seems to be working great for me. It removed root though. Just wait for Zedomax or ACS to build a bomb-ass tar file. Stock kernel runs so good on here its insane.

Sent from my Galaxy S II
    Flash the stock kernel through Odin. Everything seems to be working great for me. It removed root though. Just wait for Zedomax or ACS to build a bomb-ass tar file. Stock kernel runs so good on here its insane.

Sent from my Galaxy S II

Flash stock then buddy's CMW then root and then reflash stock and you'll have root, CMW, and an actually working stock rom.