How to reroot after the B&N 1.3 update

Search This thread
Mar 25, 2011
Well, this whole 1.3 BN update has me completely frustrated. I've followed the directions in the first post exactly and cannot get this to work at all. 4.6.16a completely breaks my market forcing me to revert back to 4.5.18.
Also, I now have issues installing apps I had before because of the limited Market visibility issues. This has also cause some of my purchased apps from the Amazon App store to no longer show up as compatible with my Nook....
Wish I could just go away from the stock OS but can't because my kids love the Kids nook books....

I'm in the same boat. I'm assuming that there's no permanent, reliable fix yet to get market access using 1.3 and 4.6.16 as everything I've tried (including side-loading 1.3 then running 4.6.18 and/or 4.6.16) hasn't worked.

gsutton

Jan 24, 2011
East Tennessee
Fpga_guy:

The zip file on my nc main drive is there. The nc would not go to sleep nor install the file. Also, cwm said the file was corrupted when i tried to install that way. How did you get it going with your nc already rooted? Thanks.

Sent from my NookColor eReader Tablet

Mar 25, 2011
Fpga_guy:

The zip file on my nc main drive is there. The nc would not go to sleep nor install the file. Also, cwm said the file was corrupted when i tried to install that way. How did you get it going with your nc already rooted? Thanks.

I side-loaded 1.3 from the B&N site a few days ago. The steps are dead-simple.

1) download 1.3 to your computer.
2) plug in your NC to your coputer. Drag 1.3 over to the root folder of your nook.
3) after about 5 min. my NC shut down (I assume it had been installing all that time with USB mode still on).
4) I had 1.3 so I then nootered it, then 4.6.18 and 4.6.16'd it.

Reactions: gsutton

gsutton

Jan 24, 2011
East Tennessee
I side-loaded 1.3 from the B&N site a few days ago. The steps are dead-simple.

1) download 1.3 to your computer.
2) plug in your NC to your coputer. Drag 1.3 over to the root folder of your nook.
3) after about 5 min. my NC shut down (I assume it had been installing all that time with USB mode still on).
4) I had 1.3 so I then nootered it, then 4.6.18 and 4.6.16'd it.

Thanks. I did that, but will try again!

gsutton

Jan 24, 2011
East Tennessee
Could be your install file is corrupt. Sorry if it sounds obvious, but you didn't extract your zip right? It should remain as a zip file on the NC when you transfer it over.

Thanks. Tried twice. Guess it is like everything else with the nc. May or may not work. Will try again.

Edited: Can not get the update to flash... bad file error everytime.

Last edited:

hikersc

Mar 1, 2011
I'm in the same boat. I'm assuming that there's no permanent, reliable fix yet to get market access using 1.3 and 4.6.16 as everything I've tried (including side-loading 1.3 then running 4.6.18 and/or 4.6.16) hasn't worked.

I think this is a true statement. I have searched and have not found anyone with a rooted stock 1.3 with a fully working and populated market. I have also tried all the CM7 suggested fixes as well as the fix that includes clearing the data from Google Framework Services. So far, nothing works but I am hoping someone will come up with something. There are a lot of fans of the rooted stock that require and desire the B&N features.

Reactions: jnmoriginpoint
Mar 25, 2011
I think this is a true statement. I have searched and have not found anyone with a rooted stock 1.3 with a fully working and populated market. I have also tried all the CM7 suggested fixes as well as the fix that includes clearing the data from Google Framework Services. So far, nothing works but I am hoping someone will come up with something. There are a lot of fans of the rooted stock that require and desire the B&N features.

Thank god! While I'm sorry you too have problems, I'm glad somebody else seems to have the same feeling I have. I posted in the Q&A forum asking basically that - "Was there a reliable fix?" (and got shot down for not reading enough threads....lolz....I read dozens of threads completely and tried every bloody combination of things to get market). To me, it seems like everybody's got a slightly different problem and nobody has a Market that works across the board like back with B&N [1.2] with mNooter. It may just be part of Google's whole 'ID the device on the market before installing' thing they tried....frustrating. :( Hopefully some smart cookie in the community will have a "AHA!" moment. Until then my Nook is just a reader.

asveepay

Feb 26, 2011
I spent the about 4 days trying to get this to work, and after getting stuck in boot loops for three of them, I finally found a procedure that worked without problems (thank god for CWM backups, otherwise i would have thrown this piece of **** out the window):
  1. Update to 1.2 stock with nemith's update zip
  2. Sideload the 1.3 update and let it install
  3. Root with 4.5.18
  4. Sign into market, but don't let it download the Adobe Flash update
  5. Install Titanium Backup and remove both Adobe Flash & Adobe Air
  6. Go back into market and install Adobe Flash
  7. Reboot into CWM and apply 4.6.16a
  8. Success

Thanks to jadehawk in this thread who set me on the right path.

Now, just like everyone else, time to get the market working.

Reactions: jnmoriginpoint

ornoktree

Oct 8, 2011
I spent the about 4 days trying to get this to work, and after getting stuck in boot loops for three of them, I finally found a procedure that worked without problems (thank god for CWM backups, otherwise i would have thrown this piece of **** out the window):
  3. Root with 4.5.18
  8. Success

sorry, just to clarify, the above post means that you've gotten a working rooted NC 1.3 right? And not that you have a working Market on the rooted NC 1.3?

thanks!

surfmly

Jul 13, 2011
San Diego
  3. Root with 4.5.18
  8. Success

Thanks for these steps. I have also been dealing with this issue for some time. I went through your steps (most of them were same as others I have tried with a few tweaks related to the Flash stuff) but am seeing an issue.

After I side load 1.3 (per BN.com's instructions), I use my bootable sd and flash the 4.5.18 MN. When I reboot (no SD card in) and I sign into market and accept terms, I end up not seeing any apps listed on the main page or on my downloads page. I am getting gmail fine (it stopped syncing and all is well there) and other things seem to work fine (network, etc). So the next steps can't happen (when I search for titanium backup in the market only 1 app shows up and it isn't TB).

Anyone see anything like this? I am going to start over, but just thought I would throw it out there. Thanks.

mattyyzac

Oct 13, 2009
And I found something,
If NC 1.3 with this rooted, DO NOT update Superuser while the Market alert you to update it to a newer version 3.xx.
I tried several times to confirm that. Everytime I updated the newer one, NC 1.3 rooted CANNOT start after a reboot.

arachne

Jan 12, 2011
And I found something,
If NC 1.3 with this rooted, DO NOT update Superuser while the Market alert you to update it to a newer version 3.xx.
I tried several times to confirm that. Everytime I updated the newer one, NC 1.3 rooted CANNOT start after a reboot.

This isn't caused by the SU update; it's caused by the Flash update. There's a thread on it over here.

I applied the Flash fix from that thread, and it fixed my boot loop. I have since updated SU through the Market and the SU binaries, and still no boot loops.

Last edited:

mattyyzac

Oct 13, 2009
This isn't caused by the SU update; it's caused by the Flash update. There's a thread on it over here.
I applied the Flash fix from that thread, and it fixed my boot loop. I have since updated SU through the Market and the SU binaries, and still no boot loops.
Thanks for help, friend.
The thread should be solved my problem :)

FreeMan2012

Sep 19, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
Thanks for these steps. I have also been dealing with this issue for some time. I went through your steps (most of them were same as others I have tried with a few tweaks related to the Flash stuff) but am seeing an issue.

After I side load 1.3 (per BN.com's instructions), I use my bootable sd and flash the 4.5.18 MN. When I reboot (no SD card in) and I sign into market and accept terms, I end up not seeing any apps listed on the main page or on my downloads page. I am getting gmail fine (it stopped syncing and all is well there) and other things seem to work fine (network, etc). So the next steps can't happen (when I search for titanium backup in the market only 1 app shows up and it isn't TB).

Anyone see anything like this? I am going to start over, but just thought I would throw it out there. Thanks.

That's exactly what I'm getting, though I think we got there through different paths. I went back to stock 1.2, let it update to 1.3, then applied MN 5.18 & 6.15.

I was able to resolve the boot-loop by reverting to a nandroid backup of 5.18 then reapplying MN 6.15. Once in, I let the Flash update run, then uninstalled the update - no boot issues :), but now no market. :(

mtbkdtbg

Jul 24, 2010
Oasge City
Had a rooted at 1.2 then the auto update 1.3 got me - I followed instructions at beginning of this thread - after lots of tries I got the nook up and running and not to sure how. Then I did a backup from CWM that was installed on the Nook - guess what that brought back the endless loop. After many tries I got it going again. I followed instructions at beginning of thread 3 times and no luck - then I remembered something from rooting my phone - clear cache and data - there are two places to do that, while in the CWM. Do IT.
After clearing Data/Cache and Cache - Then following instructions to a tee a beginning of this post the nook booted up rooted and in 1.3 and Everything worked perfect.
After thinking about what I had did to get it rerooted after the 1.3 update, the 1st time, I remember doing the clearing part.
Hope this helps others- cause I tried everything in this thread and nothing worked till I did the clearing data/cache trick.

dianagr

Sep 5, 2011
FWIW, I had everything working fine and then one day I could no longer install market apps or updates. Then I stopped getting gmail.

After searching around, I tried the following which has resulted in full market and no 1.3:
reset to factory 1.2
re-flashed 4.6.16
uninstalled flash through TitaniumBackup
re-loaded flash from the market
turned off auto-updates for all market apps
used root explorer to overwrite "auto" updates for B&N in registry with "manual" updates (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=946969)

Everything seems fine. I have B&N 1.2, full market and flash. It's been 5 days and 1.3 has not pushed. Kindle, Overdrive, Kobo, Gmail & You Tube all working, B&N side of things is <once-again> shelved and organized.

Life may be <finally> good.....and hopefully this helps someone else. :D

edfox71

Apr 26, 2011
Wifi Error

Ok, so I did all of these steps below and I was unable to get the marke to load. So after reading some of the post on here I went ahead and redid them again. Now when I try to bring my Wifi up it says error..and then I don't have a Mac address either. I was able to get the WiFi to work after the first root, but now I can get it to work.

1. Get the 1.3 update. YOU WILL LOSE ROOT! But don't fret - you shouldn't lose anything else.
2. Shut down your nook and boot with the bootable card.
3. Install manualnooter-4-5-18.zip and then reboot.
4. You have root now, so go launch the market and sign in.
5. Shut down your nook again and boot with the bootable card.
6. This time install manualnooter-4-6-16a.zip.
7. Reboot again.
8. Put your regular "data" SD card in for this step - Go into Rom Manager and run the 'Fix Permissions' option.
9. Go into Nook Color Tools and note the check box at the top. After 1.3 for most (if not all) people, the label is missing now. Uncheck and check the box anyway and close NCT.
10. Reboot

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Okay, if you have received the 1.3 update or you want to get it, this has worked for a few people now (thanks to billingdl for figuring our walking this path first!). This has only been tested for going from rooted 1.2 to 1.3. No idea on how it will fare with other changes.

You will need a bootable CWM card for this procedure. Look here for that. Then put these files on it:
    manualnooter-4-5-18.zip
    manualnooter-4-6-16a.zip

Note: Rom Manager is included as part of MN.

You'll notice that MN has an 'a' on it. I added two things there: the final fix for build.prop that was never updated and I also added a script to update the database to block OTA updates (this has worked for me) as found here.

Okay, so here we go...
    1. Get the 1.3 update. YOU WILL LOSE ROOT! But don't fret - you shouldn't lose anything else.
    2. Shut down your nook and boot with the bootable card.
    3. Install manualnooter-4-5-18.zip and then reboot.
    4. You have root now, so go launch the market and sign in.
    5. Shut down your nook again and boot with the bootable card.
    6. This time install manualnooter-4-6-16a.zip.
    6a. If you want to, you can also install Dalingrin's OC kernel while you're here, which he recently updated with the 1.3 source. Your choice, but the file is here.
    7. Reboot again.
    8. Put your regular "data" SD card in for this step - Go into Rom Manager and run the 'Fix Permissions' option.
    9. Go into Nook Color Tools and note the check box at the top. After 1.3 for most (if not all) people, the label is missing now. Uncheck and check the box anyway and close NCT.
    10. Reboot

and Voila! All should be working!
    Just to clarify a few things for folks.

The differences between MN 4.6.16 and MN 4.6.16a

1. The "original" 4.6.16 was supposed to have a change to the build.prop fingerprint to make it look like a samsung phone, but that script had an error, so the build.prop fingerprint never gets changed after a B&N update. The "a" version corrects this - otherwise your build.prop just says you are a Nook Color, which is likely to affect Market visibility.

2. The "a" version also incorporates the OTA block which modifies one of the internal databases to tell the Nook to only take manual updates and not use an OTA update. In other words, if and when update 1.4 comes around from B&N, you shouldn't have it forced upon you. This has worked for me ever since owning a nook (and my family has 3).

Market versions

MN 4.5.18 installs Market 1.8. For rooted 1.2 NC that get the 1.3 update, it seems it is necessary to go back to this version first. This is the grey market.

MN 4.6.16 (both original and "a" versions) install Market 2.3.6. If you restore to stock, you should be able to apply one of these versions directly to root, instead of using MN 4.5.18 first. This is the green market.

Market 3.x is a later, "fancier" market with tabs and such. This will get installed if you put it there OR by the market updater app. There have been a host of problems reported with the 3.x market versions which have nothing to do with rooting the Nook. They appear to just be Google trying to control how the market gets used.

In order to avoid getting upgraded automatically to a newer market, you may need to remove the market updater app. Since this seems to be a big issue, I may post new versions of the MNs with the updater removed to see if that helps folks.
    I purchased a Nook Color in July. It came with Froyo 1.2. I rooted it using Manual Nooter 4.6.16 shortly afterwards and was loving it!

Then last night, the Nook OTA auto-updated me to the Nook 1.3 firmware.

This morning when I picked up my Nook, I noticed that my Android Market, Google Email and Calendar apps icons had changed. When I tried to start them, I got a "App not found" error message. Then after some exploration, I discovered that I had I had lost Root access.

I followed your instructions. After installing Manual Nooter 4.5.18 and rebooting my Nook, I had root access again. However, when I tried to run the Android Market app I got a prompt saying "loading...", then the app closed.

I tried a couple of times with the same outcome. I then ran Rom Manager, was prompted for super user access and allowed it. I then selected the fix permissions option and rebooted the Nook, but the Android Market app still had the same issue as above.

I then figured I move ahead and install Manual Nooter 4.6.16a in hopes it would fix the problem. After applying it and rebooting my Nook, I again tried to start the Android Market app. This time, on the first attempt to run it, I was prompted to set up a Google account. I selected the existing account option and provided my account name and password. I received a confirmation that my android device was now associated with my Google account.

When I attempted to run the Google Market app again, I experienced the same issue as above. I got a prompt saying "loading...", then the app closed.

I again used Rom Manager and selected the Fix Permissions option and rebooted my Nook again. After rebooting I still have the same problem with Android Market app - starts to load then closes.

Now I'm stuck...

Anyone else experiencing the same behavior? Anyone have suggestions for how I might fix the issue?

For those of you who have been lucky enough to dodge the Nook OTA 1.3 firmware auto-update, I'd highly recommend you disable your wireless until you are able to turn off the auto-upgrade to avoid this unpleasant experience.

I'd be very happy to return to Nook 1.2 firmware with Manual Nooter 4.6.16. It was working perfectly for me and allowed me to access, load and run Android Market apps without any problem.

...Steve

I decided to go back and give it a try again from the top. (I had nothing to lose).

The second time I applied MN 4.5.18 and rebooted, the Android Market started working. I was able to connect and I tested installing an app just to make sure it was fully functional.

Great - Then I figured I try to move forward and re-apply MN 4.6.16a. After doing so and rebooting, the issue with Android Market app NOT working returned, ("loading..." message followed by a shutdown of the app). I then realized that wifi wasn't working properly after applying MN 4.6.16a. Checking the settings panel revealed that wifi was off. Every attempt to turning on wifi resulted in a wifi error. Tried applying ROM Manager 'Fix Permissions' again just in case - but wifi problem persisted.

So, I decided to go back and reapply MN 4.5.18 once more. Voila - the wifi and the Android Market started working again.

So I'm now running with MN 4.5.18 and Nook firmware 1.3

I should note that I did apply the optional over-clocking update that you included in your instructions above after applying MN 4.6.16a. Don't know if that is related to the wifi problems I experienced.

Anyway - I've got my Nook Rooted again and running Android Market so I'm happy.

Hope the above info is useful to others who might have the same experience I did.

...Steve
    If I am running cm7 off emmc, i should not even get prompted for this update, correct?

I am not dual booting, just straight cm7!
    3. Root with 4.5.18
    8. Success